You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Pyun

SHIMIKAZE IS TRASH

Shimikaze  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Is it terrible? Does it need a buff?

• Yes it is terrible and needs a buff
    • No its not terrible but needs a buff
    • Yes it is terrible but doesn't need a buff
    • No its not terrible and it doesn't need a buff

30 comments in this topic

[-ARP-]
Members
159 posts
3,736 battles

This is one of the worst high tiers I have ever played. I regret even researching it.

• Terrible guns that take molasses to turn.
  • Terrible fire rate.
  • The torps are detected from the moon so enemies are always dodging it.
  • the torps feel slow
  • INSANELY long torp reload time
  • SUPER Long so you are easy to hit
  • Terrible Turning radius

Pros:

High damage torps

meh alpha guns good against dds when teammates support.

Long story short get the harugumo. You get the same torps just less of them but you get amazing dps guns.

:cat_cool:

ps i still believe the atago needs a buff.

Edited by Pyun
  • Boring 1

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
3,566 posts
11,165 battles

It doesn't need a buff it needs bacon .

Image result for pictures of bacon

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,581 posts
15,693 battles

I don't own one but I have a feeling your going to meet some opposition. They seem pretty popular to me.

[RLGN]
Members
14,302 posts
25,186 battles
17 minutes ago, Pyun said:

Long story short get the harugumo. You get the same torps just less of them but you get amazing dps guns.

It’s great for hosing things down, but atm I have very little faith in ability of those peashooters to actually hurt anything.

Felt differently in the days of OWSF; not so much any more.

[WORX]
Members
10,635 posts
18,550 battles

It doesn't need a buff BUT every ship in tier 10 needs a nerf... We can start with

1. AP spamming ships
  2. HE spamming ships
  3. Plane harassers

Why buff the one ship when you have other critical OP aspects of high tier game play that is deserving of the WG nerf bat...

Its not going to happen in 2020 but it is what it is... You either love high tier gaming experience or you stay away.

• Boring 1

[A-K-A]
Beta Testers
145 posts
4,622 battles

shima's gun are insane in dd fight, just kyte and watch salvo of 3-4k every 5 sec

the only buff shima need is a better spread pattern on her torp. we can fit whole Kremlin in between those torps....

& haru has a very different role,

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
24,800 posts
25,884 battles
32 minutes ago, Pyun said:

This is one of the worst high tiers I have ever played. I regret even researching it.

• Terrible fire rate.
  • the torps feel slow

Pros:

High damage torps

Clearly you prefer gunboat DDs.  The reality is that the Shimakaze is NOT a gunboat DD, and you should not expect it to perform as one.

You're also missing some points.  The Shimmy's guns are not meant for knife fights.  Like you observed, their turrets turn slowly and guns reload slowly.  However, they have nice shell arcs that are better used at longer ranges.  Also, because the Shimmy has an AXY turret layout, it's great for fighting while running away from other DDs (if you must gunfight at all).

You make some points about the torps.  Personally, I'm of the opinion that WG over values high damage torpedoes when it comes to balancing.   Torps that don't hit aren't worth squat, not matter how powerful they are.  I usually prefer moderate damage, lower detection torps that reload more quickly over IJN torps.

Lastly, destroyer play is NOT all about the guns.

PS. Why do you believe the Atago needs a buff?  What do you feel is lacking about it?

Members
2,763 posts
93 battles
40 minutes ago, Pyun said:

• Terrible fire rate.
  • the torps feel slow

Pros:

High damage torps

Dude this is not 2016-2017 anymore. The days of "Shimakaze(or IJN DD) bad" circlejerking is done.

People have learned that Shimakaze, despite her "weaknessess", is a very capable and strong DD when played correctly.

• Cool 2

[PIZZA]
-Members-
1,179 posts
26,110 battles

Shmia is used a bunch in Clan Battles......its a good DD if played properly and you can avoid CV planes........definitely a stealth DD.

Alpha Tester
1,246 posts
4,975 battles

Only thing the shima needs is about fifteen to twenty seconds shaved off its torpedo reload time to be more than competitive in its desired role. 

Members
9,159 posts
11,174 battles

It needs cheese and mustard, and maybe some pickles, with a side of bacon. Only way to make it more yummy.

• Funny 1

Members
2,030 posts
16,897 battles

Shima guns are CRIMINALLY underrated. The 12km torps are very effective still due to high damage and ability to cover either a wide area or minimize gaps depending on how you send. It excels in map control due to concealment, zoning torp ability, and guns that again are not great, but do a good job of punching someone if they try to get testy.

• Cool 3

[OO7]
Members
481 posts
27,249 battles
1 hour ago, Pyun said:

Don't blame the ship for you either not being good enough to play it or you not knowing how to play it.

1 hour ago, Pyun said:
  • Terrible fire rate.

Yes the gun don't turn extremely fast. Its still extremely useable. The slower fire rate is balanced by the high alpha. 

1 hour ago, Pyun said:
  • the torps feel slow

Don't use the 20kms. Problem solved.

1 hour ago, Pyun said:

Highest dd HE alpha at t10 if you land your shells.

The shima is peak spotting dd performance in comp. and is an excellent torpedo boat with great detection. It has extremely underrated guns that many shima captains fail to utilize. 

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
7,914 posts
11,593 battles

honestly, now that ive been in the game for about 3 years, theres only 2 things i think should be changed with Shima, the 20km 2.5km detection torps being the stock option, and the reload still being over 2 minutes even with all the torp reload upgrades

[SYN]
Members
8,236 posts
13,957 battles

It's a great ship, though it's torps maybe need a little love. The relatively high detection range of IJN torps is IMO a sign of a bit of power creep. 

[SPARO]
[SPARO]
Members
94 posts
8,004 battles

I think the only buff it needs is -10 secs on torp reload for all it's torps and that's more of a maybe that big of a buff

[-ARP-]
Members
159 posts
3,736 battles

I use 12 km torps and they are still slow and spotted from lightyears away.

Yes all i think it needs is a faster reload on the torps. 

Edited by Pyun

[TSF_1]
Members
3,301 posts
7,631 battles

I rarely see them do well. Like most IJN DDs, I see them die in the first 5 minutes. Perhaps I simply encounter a nonrepresentative sample of fools, but I assume that a Shima will be badly played.

[TBW]
Members
10,287 posts
17,483 battles

I own it but haven't played but a battle or two so I didn't vote. My nieces ex played some games in it and did really bad, like 30% wr and average of 15,500 damage a battle. Never let some one play on your account.

Members
2,763 posts
93 battles
1 hour ago, Pyun said:

I use 12 km torps and they are still slow and spotted from lightyears away.

Yes all i think it needs is a faster reload on the torps. 

700-800m difference compared to other torp detection sure is "light years away".

Stop being hyperbolic and actually learn how to torp effectively.

• Confused 1

[-ARP-]
Members
159 posts
3,736 battles
13 hours ago, RyuuohD_NA said:

700-800m difference compared to other torp detection sure is "light years away".

Stop being hyperbolic and actually learn how to torp effectively.

Really its a km away?! that's substantial. I'll start to torp effectively as soon as you give me a benham, a buff, or a real torp boat.

Edited by Pyun
  • Cool 1

[RKLES]
Members
12,551 posts
14,267 battles
14 hours ago, pewpewpew42 said:

I rarely see them do well. Like most IJN DDs, I see them die in the first 5 minutes. Perhaps I simply encounter a nonrepresentative sample of fools, but I assume that a Shima will be badly played.

Problem is you either have players see those of us that know how to play Shima do well in it and think it must be so strong that it’s easy or something. Or you have players get it because they think having 15 torpedoes to launch at a time is cool. Reasons for a bad player to pick up Shima can vary.

But those of us that know how to play can do well in Shima. I had held off on getting Shima for a good while since a I had my Gearing and had seen so many players using Shima poorly, but then I also noticed there were Shima that were played well and could do well so I finally picked up Shima for the previous tier X season, dropped an appropriate captain into her, and did rather well right off the bat. Ain’t he current meta I would not use the 8km torpedoes, only the 12km and the 20km torpedoes.

And I have worked things out so that I now know a I use 12km on weekdays and the 20km torpedoes on weekends since weekdays the teams are smarter so I get enough support and enemy ships are smarter so I need the faster / stealthier 12km torpedoes. Weekends to put it nicely the players are not as smart, there are CVs, Radar ships that don’t manage to get spotted and all sorts of issues that come up. So the 20km torpedoes can be necessary, and effective if you can calculate where enemy will likely be which is not difficult for some of the BBs that sail straight lines near the back. Managed to score 15 hits with 20km torpedoes in a battle a few days ago, would not have been able to safely get into range with the 12km as expected for that day. Weekend players may be bad, but between the island campers and the let’s sail far back BBs making a breakthrough on certain maps can be more difficult as your team may not want to push so you end up with a naval version of WWI trench warfare.

And aside from the torpedoes the Shimakaze features good mobility, nice concealment, good smoke screens, reasonably durable, guns actually work surprisingly well despite the fact so many Shima either use the guns too much or not at all, and the AA defenses feel better than they do on some DDs.

[BEA5T]
[BEA5T]
Members
378 posts
14,396 battles

Watch out for those Kamikaze Shima Capts that like to get up close and personal using the torpedo acceleration skill as not too many ships will be able to outrun 6.8 KM distance and 81 KM torpedo coming at them.  Or even if they are prefer a more sedated 9.6KM distance and 72 KM speed it is still a handful to be dealt with.

Also not everyone shoots off all three at the same time.... ( there is a place and time for those)  as even 1 set can normally take most of the ships.  ( there are a few that will require more than 1 set to sink)  

Edited by Noworriesderpy1

[FEM]
Supertester
275 posts
8,869 battles

The difference in detection between Benham torpedoes nad Shimakaze torpedoes is only 300m.
The difference in reaction time is 1.5s.
The difference in damage is 8500.

Maybe if you haven't free XP'd the whole god damn tree from T4 onwards you would have learned how to use those torpedoes.
This right here is your problem ...

tempsnip.png

Edited by tmGrunty
  • Cool 3

[-ARP-]
Members
159 posts
3,736 battles
34 minutes ago, tmGrunty said:

The difference in detection between Benham torpedoes nad Shimakaze torpedoes is only 300m.
The difference in reaction time is 1.5s.
The difference in damage is 8500.

Maybe if you haven't free XP'd the whole god damn tree from T4 onwards you would have learned how to use those torpedoes.
This right here is your problem ...

tempsnip.png

Woah man its about the reload the benham is like 60seconds while shimas are 120 seconds or so. But great pointing out that the Benham has stealthier torps. 

ANyways i'd rather play the Benham than the shima and thats a Tier 9 ship.

And i've Freeexp a lot of ship lines and never had any problems. I just watch youtube vids on how to play the ship and do it. There is no need to play the lower tier Ijn dds. I have the harugomo, free exp'd all the way through and love that ship. Amazing guns. Acceptable torps for bonus dmg. The torps really remind me of shima torps. Good for backup weapon but not relied on.

Edited by Pyun