You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Panama_red1

USS Albany

11 comments in this topic

[PD-73]
Members
18 posts
8,591 battles

Not sure why this Tier II cruiser showed up in port today but thank you Wos  for premium ship. I had asked Santa for the Missouri. Glad I did not get something like a Carrier.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,994 posts
20,705 battles

Anniversary gift?

You been playing 1 year?

[WPORT]
Members
5,499 posts
10,525 battles
13 minutes ago, jerryw2582_1 said:

Not sure why this Tier II cruiser showed up in port today but thank you Wos  for premium ship. I had asked Santa for the Missouri. Glad I did not get something like a Carrier.

Congratulations.

At least you won't have to worry about CV's while playing in Tier-2. :-D

[RLGN]
Members
14,306 posts
25,245 battles

Not really that bad a ship, but you have to play terrain and get in close to do well with it.

Floaty US guns are floaty.

Members
121 posts
5,017 battles

I got one too, if you look in your steam inventory you'll see you've got a second you can gift to another steam user.

Happy to have her, she's gorgeous.

Members
121 posts
5,017 battles
2 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Congratulations.

At least you won't have to worry about CV's while playing in Tier-2. :-D

And in case you did she actually gets AA defenses unlike even most T3s. 

Edited by CAPTAIN_JACK_HOLDEN
  • Funny 1

Members
404 posts
3,852 battles

Same.

I had recently "Followed" WoW on Steam to get some goodies but I thought they'd be different goodies? I didn't read the fine print very much.

[TSF]
Beta Testers
401 posts
13,956 battles

USS Albany CA123, was an Oregon Class Cruiser that was converted to the CG10 Guided Missile class in the mid-60s. I served on the other 2 ships in that class, USS Columbus CG12 and USS Chicago CG11, which were converted from Baltimore class cruisers. The conversions included stripping the ships down to the main armored decks, and installing an aluminum superstructure that combined the masts with the stacks (Macks). Long range (65 miles) Talos Missile Systems were installed forward and aft, and short range Tarter Missile systems were installed Port and Starboard, amidships.

Shortly after the first ship in the class (CG12) was commissioned, someone asked how the ship could defend itself from a torpedo boat. As a result, we returned to the shipyard in Bremerton for another 6 months while a pair of 5"38 open mount guns and MK56 Gun Fire Control Systems were installed amidships.

These ships were kept in service until the early 80s, and even shot down some migs in Viet Nam.

[USCGC]
[USCGC]
Members
807 posts
7,176 battles
1 hour ago, CaptnAndy said:

USS Albany CA123, was an Oregon Class Cruiser that was converted to the CG10 Guided Missile class in the mid-60s. I served on the other 2 ships in that class, USS Columbus CG12 and USS Chicago CG11, which were converted from Baltimore class cruisers. The conversions included stripping the ships down to the main armored decks, and installing an aluminum superstructure that combined the masts with the stacks (Macks). Long range (65 miles) Talos Missile Systems were installed forward and aft, and short range Tarter Missile systems were installed Port and Starboard, amidships.

Shortly after the first ship in the class (CG12) was commissioned, someone asked how the ship could defend itself from a torpedo boat. As a result, we returned to the shipyard in Bremerton for another 6 months while a pair of 5"38 open mount guns and MK56 Gun Fire Control Systems were installed amidships.

These ships were kept in service until the early 80s, and even shot down some migs in Viet Nam.

Thanks for your service Andy! :Smile_honoring:

The Navy sure didn't stick with the aluminum superstructure idea for very long, at least not until USS Belknap (CG-26) had a bad fire that essentially melted the superstructure down to the steel decks, after colliding with USS Kennedy (CV-67). That and the corrosion issue when you put two different metals together. The Perry class frigates were the last USN ships built with aluminum superstructures IIRC.

My first ship was a Hamilton class cutter, USCGC Chase (WHEC-718). That entire class had aluminum superstructures, and it was discussed occasionally during DC fire training. Also, during a mid life refit, a flex joint was installed in the superstructure to prevent stress cracking.

Edited by Diesel_Thunder