You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Toxygene

Awacs

30 comments in this topic

[O2]
Members
227 posts

My biggest issue with CV's is  their ability to be awacs, hovering above you effortlessly while the rest of his team demolishes you. Just too easy.

• Boring 6

[PVE]
Members
4,255 posts
18,579 battles

It does speed the game up and protects BB's from DD's..........that spotting function.    So, that makes perma-spotting a good thing !!!  After all, Throughput = Profit.  Quality isn't even included in that metric.....  Heck, who will need DD's anyway after the subs get in as well....  Stealth is a thing of the past and ASW will be impossible with Carriers in the game since DD's can't fight them off (for the most part...) while they are trolling for subs !!! 

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
2,397 posts
6,894 battles

You think that is bad, now imagine an AWACs in the air while other squadrons attack your allies. :Smile_trollface: This AWACs ain't nothing.

• Cool 1

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,578 posts
15,683 battles

You know, the pre 8.0 update. When sailing a CV you could launch every squadron at once. I did. One to A cap, one to B cap, one to C cap. Fighters always at mid so they could counter a flank if they needed to. So the "AWAC" eye in the sky was actually more of a issue in the past than it is now in that respect.

The old RTS had advantages and disadvantages. Just like the post 8.0 has advantages and disadvantages.

Edited by Capt_Ahab1776
  • Cool 4

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
2,397 posts
6,894 battles
1 minute ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

You know, the pre 8.0 update. When sailing a CV you could launch every squadron at once. I did. One to A cap, one to B cap, one to C cap. Fighters always at mid so they could counter a flank if they needed to. So the "AWAC" eye in the sky was actually more of a issue in the past than it is now in that respect.

The old RTS had advantages and disadvantages. Just like the post 8.0 has advantages and disadvantages.

Most "issues" today are no different from what they were in the past. It's just that apparently only now do people notice them. The same mistakes CV players made in the past are the same that they make today. That is why the tactics that I have been using since the game went live is still valid even though I lot use of more than one squadron.

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,578 posts
15,683 battles
10 minutes ago, Vangm94 said:

Most "issues" today are no different from what they were in the past. It's just that apparently only now do people notice them. The same mistakes CV players made in the past are the same that they make today. That is why the tactics that I have been using since the game went live is still valid even though I lot use of more than one squadron.

If it is a one CV per side game the most you can have up at once is the squad you launched. A temporary fighter squadron, and if your ship has enemy aircraft get to close the ship will launch a short range fighter protection squadron.

If your squadrons wasn't shot down and you didn't release your payload in pre 8.0 you could have three squadrons in the air indefinitely. 

I know it's hard to hide from planes in the current meta. It was harder in the former.

Edited by Capt_Ahab1776
  • Cool 3

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
2,397 posts
6,894 battles
2 minutes ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

If it is a one CV per side game the most you can have up at once is the squad you launched. A temporary fighter squadron, and if your ship has enemy aircraft get to close the ship will launch a short range fighter protection squadron.

If your squadrons wasn't shot down and you didn't release your payload in pre 8.0 you could have three squadrons in the air indefinitely. 

I know it's hard to hide from planes in the current meta. It was harder in the former.

Yep, it was a lot harder back in the day yet it seems only now did anyone take notice of it. That is what I find weird.

[TWFT3]
Members
143 posts
4,469 battles
30 minutes ago, Toxygene said:

My biggest issue with CV's is  their ability to be awacs, hovering above you effortlessly while the rest of his team demolishes you. Just too easy.

Effortlessly? You have no AA?

[SBS]
Members
5,898 posts
1 hour ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

Last week the Midway's average spotting was ~92% of the RTS Midway from a year ago.  So yeah, there is less spotting, but not all that much less.

• Boring 1

[A-I-M]
Members
3,009 posts
22,042 battles
3 hours ago, Toxygene said:

This would not matter except that every ship has a 1980's Combat Data Center, allowing any ship to have a gunnery firing solution on targets they themselves cannot detect. 

[PVE]
Members
19,848 posts
12,024 battles
3 hours ago, Toxygene said:

It used to be worse when you had 3-6 of them.

[LEGIT]
Members
2,333 posts
31,760 battles

The old RTS makes today's CV seem trivial.  A good CV player back then had you permaspotted while blasting everyone else at the same time.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
19,848 posts
12,024 battles
1 hour ago, slokill_1 said:

The old RTS makes today's CV seem trivial.  A good CV player back then had you permaspotted while blasting everyone else at the same time.

Every one of the CV are OP crowd seems to have forgotten this. The unlimited plane myth won't die either.:Smile_sceptic:

[SBS]
Members
5,898 posts
1 hour ago, Kizarvexis said:

It used to be worse when you had 3-6 of them.

1 hour ago, slokill_1 said:

I guess you guys missed me post this.

3 hours ago, Slimeball91 said:

Last week the Midway's average spotting was ~92% of the RTS Midway from a year ago.  So yeah, there is less spotting, but not all that much less.

This says two things.  First, the RTS carriers didn't actually spot as much as you think, and second, the rework carriers spot way more than you think.

• Boring 1

[PVE]
Members
19,848 posts
12,024 battles
19 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

I guess you guys missed me post this.

This says two things.  First, the RTS carriers didn't actually spot as much as you think, and second, the rework carriers spot way more than you think.

And this is from where? The WoWs stats and na.wows do not show any spotting info.

[G-REB]
Members
134 posts
5 hours ago, Toxygene said:

^This^

[SBS]
Members
5,898 posts
24 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

And this is from where? The WoWs stats and na.wows do not show any spotting info.

Why would you doubt it, do you have any reason to believe I'd make this up?  The last week of RTS play in January last year the Midway's average spotting was 77,821, the newest data, from last week, it was 71,570; that's ~92% of the RTS version. 

http://maplesyrup.sweet.coocan.jp/wows/ranking/index.html

Alpha Tester
4,287 posts
6,522 battles
2 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

Why would you doubt it, do you have any reason to believe I'd make this up?  The last week of RTS play in January last year the Midway's average spotting was 77,821, the newest data, from last week, it was 71,570; that's ~92% of the RTS version. 

http://maplesyrup.sweet.coocan.jp/wows/ranking/index.html

I don't think this necessarily has all that much to do with spotting influence on the match. First off, DD's are low-HP, but the most important ships to spot. Spotting damage rack ups are usually related to seeing a BB while allies farm it, and that doesn't really mean you found the ship when it otherwise would be hidden(spotting damage is split between all those with vision).

[SBS]
Members
5,898 posts
5 minutes ago, Aetreus said:

I don't think this necessarily has all that much to do with spotting influence on the match. First off, DD's are low-HP, but the most important ships to spot. Spotting damage rack ups are usually related to seeing a BB while allies farm it, and that doesn't really mean you found the ship when it otherwise would be hidden(spotting damage is split between all those with vision).

I was just referring to overall spotting.  I feel like the amount of spotting needs to be brought up.  I mean look at the responses.  Its seems be of doubt, and the one misrepresenting the data, and flawed assumptions reply may have been directed towards me.  I think its important for people to know what's actually happening, instead of making assumptions.  While I can agree with what you're saying to some degree, I think you're underestimating the influence.

I will say this, DDs add to the total just like all other ships.  The difference for DDs is they die to spotting much faster.

Alpha Tester
4,287 posts
6,522 battles
27 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

I was just referring to overall spotting.  I feel like the amount of spotting needs to be brought up.  I mean look at the responses.  Its seems be of doubt, and the one misrepresenting the data, and flawed assumptions reply may have been directed towards me.  I think its important for people to know what's actually happening, instead of making assumptions.  While I can agree with what you're saying to some degree, I think you're underestimating the influence.

I will say this, DDs add to the total just like all other ships.  The difference for DDs is they die to spotting much faster.

Using data in the wrong way is worse than ignoring it, data provides a level of false certainty to claims that supposition does not. To add to what I said, I'd note that the CV's own damage isn't included in its spotting damage. So if its team is not in place to attack what it spots, which for smaller ships is harder, that spotting doesn't show up in spotting damage. So a RTS CV that spotted and dev struck a DD with torpedoes before its team could get more than a couple k or any damage on the DD counts less than a new CV that had to make multiple strikes to only deal a third of the DD's HP and get a similar amount from allies.

[SIM]
Members
4,928 posts
8,006 battles

My biggest problem with this forum is scissors [edited] about rock. 

[SBS]
Members
5,898 posts
13 minutes ago, Aetreus said:

Using data in the wrong way is worse than ignoring it, data provides a level of false certainty to claims that supposition does not.

I didn't say the data means anything.  I pointed out the Midways average spotting was largely unchanged.  That's all.  You're the one assuming I meant to imply DDs were being punished more, or whatever it is you think I meant. 

Edit:  Let me clarify.  I did say the data meant people were overestimating the amount of spotting the RTS carriers did, and underestimate the amount the rework carriers are capable of.  I didn't imply any meaning outside that, as in influence, balance or anything else.   

Edited by Slimeball91

[S-N-D]
Banned
3,327 posts
7,738 battles
10 hours ago, Toxygene said:

Yeah, all those sailors on ships in WW2 didn't like air recon either. C'est la vie.