BrushWolf

Star Trek Picard

57 comments in this topic

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,411 posts
14,163 battles

After watching a couple of episodes I feel it is far better Trek than the Star Trek Discovery abortion which would actually be good if they took anything star trek out of it. Patrick Stewart does help as he is one of those rare actors who is worth watching in in terrible shows.

• Cool 3

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,607 posts
23 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

After watching a couple of episodes I feel it is far better Trek than the Star Trek Discovery abortion which would actually be good if they took anything star trek out of it. Patrick Stewart does help as he is one of those rare actors who is worth watching in in terrible shows.

I watched the first episode of Picard because CBS was broadcasting it free on YouTube and thought it very good. However, it's not quite good enough for me to pay for another streaming service to watch it.

• Cool 2

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,411 posts
14,163 battles
7 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

I watched the first episode of Picard because CBS was broadcasting it free on YouTube and thought it very good. However, it's not quite good enough for me to pay for another streaming service to watch it.

I have the service so I can watch other shows, mostly old like I am, I watched Star Trek TOS on B & W TV's. :Smile_Default:

It is more TOS than anything since as it grapples with tough subjects.

Edited by BrushWolf

[INTEL]
[INTEL]
Members
7,642 posts
34,867 battles
2 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

Same here.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,411 posts
14,163 battles
On 2/7/2020 at 2:15 AM, Snargfargle said:

On 2/7/2020 at 4:33 AM, alexf24 said:

Same here.

I have the service to watch some old shows and will cancel soon enough.

[TASC]
Members
325 posts
11,371 battles

I find the show to be very good. Still not sure why the Romulan's have a dead Borg cube. Wish   I had a big Hi-def  tv to watch the episodes.

Beta Testers
10,817 posts
17 minutes ago, Timo_Greenwold said:

I find the show to be very good. Still not sure why the Romulan's have a dead Borg cube. Wish   I had a big Hi-def  tv to watch the episodes.

Something happened to the Borg cube when they tried to assimilate the Romulans from the last ship they tried to assimilate.  These are now the liberated Romulans that are aboard the cube but their minds have been like...scrambled.   The reason why the Borg shorted out trying to assimilate these Romulans is a mystery, and part of the show's mysteries which might be resolved in a big way later.  Are the Romulans genetically encoded to resist assimilation?  Does this have anything to do with the Zhat Vash tradition and from some event thousands of years ago, the Romulans are xenophobic with artificial lifeforms?  

There are subtle signs here that point to Discovery's Red Angel events in the second season, and an AI race that destroyed much of sentient life across the galaxy.  

Edited by Eisennagel

[TASC]
Members
325 posts
11,371 battles

Maybe at the end season, we will find out. Do you really think this show will have a tie in with Discovery?

Beta Testers
10,817 posts
Just now, Timo_Greenwold said:

Maybe at the end season, we will find out. Do you really think this show will have a tie in with Discovery?

Yup.  I believe that was mentioned by Alex Kurtzmann, there are going to be connections among the shows, like an over arc among them.  

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
10,817 posts

If there are is tie ins with Discovery, you may already have begun to see it with the decline of the Federation in Picard and it hanging on a thread far in the future for Discovery Season 3.    The other tie in is a link about artificial intelligence, but right now, there is a large mystery about the past of the Romulans with artificial intelligence.  

The show has plenty of Easter Egg references and clues as to its inspiration and where its heading.  I love the way this show is like a code, and you're picking clues on it.  

Some tiny potential bits of spoilers so those who have not watched the show to please skip the post, and come back later after you have watched it.

References from the last show:

Ship named Ellison --- Referencing the late great scifi writer Harlan Ellison who scripted The City at the Edge of Forever for TOS.  There is a subtle hint about this TOS episode and how it would relate to Picard later.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_City_on_the_Edge_of_Forever

Wallenburg class transports ---  Referencing Raoul Wallenburg.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raoul_Wallenberg

LOTR reference with the character Elnor, who looks like Legolas and his name is similar to Elrond.

Fenris Rangers -- Rangers of the North?  This is another LOTR reference.  

https://lotr.fandom.com/wiki/Rangers_of_the_North

Cristobal Rios reading a book, "The Tragic Sense of Life".  

https://www.amazon.com/Tragic-Sense-Life-Miguel-Unamuno/dp/1497578981

The writer of the book references Don Quixote.  

We also see references to the Three Musketeers.    This is interesting because there are already three ex-Starfleet members aboard the La Sirena, as Elnor joins the party.  There are actually four people with the La Sirena, but the fourth is a potential Gollum.  

La Sirena, the name of the ship.  The Siren.  A siren is a mermaid like creature that lures men to their deaths with their beautiful voices.   The name of the captain has a meaning, as 'Cristobal' means the Bearer of Christ.  

Edited by Eisennagel

Beta Testers
10,817 posts

The last episode featured an antique T'liss class Romulan Warbird.   This classic design was first featured in The Original Series.  Its been visually upgraded, remodeled and rendered for today's CGI and modern SFX.  The effect looks really fantastic.  I also love the fact there is all sorts and plenty of plated detail all along the ship, and detail on the nacelles.  I would love to see more visually upgraded classic ships, like they did with this and the K'tinga in Discovery.  As to why the show has a 23rd century starship, it is explained as being an antique.  

Edited by Eisennagel

[PVE]
Members
4,253 posts
18,541 battles
On 2/7/2020 at 2:15 AM, Snargfargle said:

Streaming was a xmas box from wife.   A good, if a little slow and cerebral , the series has be in the middle of loving it or not understanding where it is coming from......???  I get the "old age" theme of an outcast ideologue but, geeze, let's get a move on folks and get to the plot line faster.......!!!  A lot of potential though.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,607 posts
5 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

Streaming was a xmas box from wife.   A good, if a little slow and cerebral , the series has be in the middle of loving it or not understanding where it is coming from......???  I get the "old age" theme of an outcast ideologue but, geeze, let's get a move on folks and get to the plot line faster.......!!!  A lot of potential though.

I thought the first episode that they aired for free good. What I don't like in general about Star Trek though is that they get way too preachy. I've been rewatching the Voyager and Deep Space 9 series and have noticed this quite bit. It's interesting though that in the last episode of Voyager the captain, now admiral, comes back in time and chastises her former self for doing just that while saving her old crew and getting them home at the same time. 

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
Members
27,005 posts
23,801 battles
On 3/14/2020 at 9:04 AM, Snargfargle said:

I thought the first episode that they aired for free good. What I don't like in general about Star Trek though is that they get way too preachy. I've been rewatching the Voyager and Deep Space 9 series and have noticed this quite bit. It's interesting though that in the last episode of Voyager the captain, now admiral, comes back in time and chastises her former self for doing just that while saving her old crew and getting them home at the same time. 

TNG can get really into the preachy bits.  TNG was where Roddenberry was all-in on his utopia and the perfect ideals.  Picard himself was often the one getting into those preachy moments, so the fact this continues in the new Picard show, doesn't surprise me.  However, I do now give him slack as being the hopeful idealist in a reality where things are very grey.  That's one thing he's consistent in.  I think the character of Picard had lost a lot as the years had gone on.  I don't think he's as sharp as he used to be, he can't control himself like he used to, i.e. the outburst against Starfleet in his interview in episode 1.  TNG era Picard would have never done that and would control his emotions.  But Picard isn't well anymore though.  Riker also had to remind him about the Picard he knew and served under.  But the one thing he still has is that positive idealism.

Though of course, even TOS got into strange territory sometimes.  Namely this episode https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/The_Omega_Glory_(episode)

:Smile_popcorn:

Of course, TOS came out at the height of the Cold War.

• Cool 1

[TASC]
Members
325 posts
11,371 battles
On 2/15/2020 at 11:52 PM, Eisennagel said:

If there are is tie ins with Discovery, you may already have begun to see it with the decline of the Federation in Picard and it hanging on a thread far in the future for Discovery Season 3.    The other tie in is a link about artificial intelligence, but right now, there is a large mystery about the past of the Romulans with artificial intelligence.  

Well going have to wait for next season for some answers or tie-in. The advanced AI race that is mentioned, reminds me of the Reapers from Mass Effect.

[CLUMP]
Members
813 posts
1,160 battles

I stop caring after episode 4 and stop watching it after episode 5 :Smile_sceptic: I didn't even bother with Discovery it's crap :Smile_hiding:

[REVY]
Members
6,686 posts
5,635 battles
On 3/19/2020 at 8:27 PM, Timo_Greenwold said:

Well going have to wait for next season for some answers or tie-in. The advanced AI race that is mentioned, reminds me of the Reapers from Mass Effect.

Yes, RLM pointed out Picard's turning into Mass Effect 3: The Bad One

Beta Testers
10,817 posts
On 3/20/2020 at 1:27 PM, Timo_Greenwold said:

Kind of.  The Synths remind me of the Cylons from BSG, and Control reminds me of Skynet and the Sentinels from the Matrix.  

Plus its not 'a race'.  But a 'Federation' of Synths.  Like a whole league of Reapers from different galaxies and so on.  Each race is like a successful robot-Skynet insurrection, and after terminating their organic creators, they all teamed up together in some form of massive alliance in order to help any robot rebellion.  This leaves potential connections to the ancestry of the Borg, the fate of Control, and possible hints for an impending invasion of the galaxy.  

I get the feeling that with the mind being perpetually transferred to an endless succession of synthetic bodies, I won't rule out seeing Brent Spinner having a guest spot in Discovery Season 3 as Soong.  

I do have a bit of technological contrast between AIs that rely on nanite based assimilation vs. AIs that rely on mass production of android synthetic bodies.  

Beta Testers
10,817 posts

There is a bit of LOTR here, a bit of Mass Effect here, and a bit of BGS here, but there is something about the overall arc of the series that reminds me of the Three Body Problem.  

[TASC]
Members
325 posts
11,371 battles

Heck, I thought episode 9 was the last show of the season, missed 30 minutes of episode 10. I need to wait until repeats later tonight.

[WOLF3]
Members
27,005 posts
23,801 battles

I had some mixed feelings on the season finale.

Spoiler

+ Interesting to see the progress of the Synthetic colony and another Dr Soong.

+ I liked seeing new warships from the Tal Shiar (who always had their own arsenal separate from the Imperial Romulan Navy) and Starfleet.

+ It was strange, but I thought it sort of endearing to see Narek plead the case of the Zhat Vash of why the Synthetics needed to be stopped.

+ Picard's death hit hard.  But there was a nagging thing in the back of my mind about the golem...

+/- Data's end.  I recall years ago Spiner was reluctant to keep playing Data because he himself said that he's getting too old to portray him.  But interestingly, he can keep playing Dr Soong.

- Apparently nobody keeps guard of their starships after they've landed :Smile_teethhappy:

- We didn't get a space battle between Starfleet and the Zhat Vash forces.

- When I saw the golem, I immediately thought, "Deus ex machina."

- They kill Picard off and basically rez him in the same d*mn episode.  They showed all this grief about his death, which was great, and then not even a minute later of all that, he's rez'd inside the body of the golem.  I know the show is named PICARD but why the hell are you playing with us like that?  I was quite upset in the final scene, the entire crew is together on Rios' ship and acting like nothing happened with a brand spanking new Picard right there.

[REVY]
Members
6,686 posts
5,635 battles
4 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

rez him in the same d*mn episode.

It's Kurtzman Star Trek.  Remember Into Darkness?  Meaningless fake out deaths are all the rage these days.

[WOLF3]
Members
27,005 posts
23,801 battles
7 hours ago, Sventex said:

It's Kurtzman Star Trek.  Remember Into Darkness?  Meaningless fake out deaths are all the rage these days.

It was awful what they did, man.  Just awful.

Beta Testers
10,817 posts

Loved the ton of STO ships they placed on the scene.  To be more exact, it was a ship proposed for STO back in 2007 by John Eaves.  Pure laziness to go back to your old files, yank the design out and made a few mods here and there.  Then pure laziness to clone a ton of them.

9LAmTQv.jpg

Beta Testers
10,817 posts

And finally the resurrection part at the end --- that's straight out of EVE Online technology.

On 3/23/2020 at 5:20 PM, Eisennagel said:

There is a bit of LOTR here, a bit of Mass Effect here, and a bit of BGS here, but there is something about the overall arc of the series that reminds me of the Three Body Problem.