Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
kishan99

Overmatching Graph

6 comments in this topic

[DUD]
Members
706 posts
2,470 battles

Hello there,

I am starting to learn the more advance mechanics of the game and saw there is an overmatch mechanic.   My basic understanding is that if my guns are strong enough, it ignores the richoet mechanic or something like that.   I am trying to understand it by using my Grobe Kurfurst (The bigger guns).   How do I know if my guns are strong enough to do it?  I believe I tried to on a Vlad (The tier VIII BB) and all my shots richoeted off the bow.   Is there a detailed graph showing me what ships I could over match?

Thanks

Members
4,345 posts
11,204 battles

Yes, overmatch effectively ignores the angle of the armor and the chance to bounce incoming shells. There’s a chart on the wiki here: https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Armor_thresholds#AP_overmatch that lists the common armor thresholds and minimum gun caliber needed to overmatch.

The calculation is your gun caliber divided by 14.3, so GK can overmatch 27mm with either gun (406/14.3=28mm or 420/14.3=29mm), but not 30mm (you’d need 430mm guns to do that, so basically every t10 BB except Montana, GK, Conquerer, and Bourgogne) or 32mm (where you’d need 458mm, and the only ships in game right now that cross that threshold are Musashi and Yamato with 460s).

When it comes to battleships, the rule of thumb for higher tiers is if you have 380mm or larger, you overmatch 25mm armor (most BBs below t8 and all CLs), 406s overmatch 27mm (all cruiser bow and stern but not the side plating or icebreaker bows of Moskva and Stalingrad), 430s overmatch 30mm (pretty much all cruiser side plating), and 458s overmatch 32 (battleship noses, although the lower icebreaker sections on GK/Kremlin/Pyotr Veliky will still shatter them). With the exception of Bourgogne’s 380mm guns, every t10 battleship in game can overmatch all of the bow and stern of every cruiser in the game (except for the lower icebreaker sections on Moskva and Stalingrad).

Specifically regarding the 420s on GK, most players tend to recommend using the 406s since you have more shells and a faster reload (and better pen technically for part of your range) and the 420s don’t cross any significant armor thresholds with AP or HE (although the 420s will let you pen some armor pieces on certain high tier cruiser turrets and battleship secondary mounts with HE).

Edited by MidnightPhoenix07

[WORX]
Members
10,621 posts
18,506 battles
15 minutes ago, kishan99 said:

I am trying to understand it by using my Grobe Kurfurst (The bigger guns).

Aim those Sausage guns at a cruiser... Any BB can over match every tier 10 cruiser (very few ship exceptions).

Try to aim at Any other BB with those kubasas... That is where it gets tricky.

[DUD]
Members
706 posts
2,470 battles

@MidnightPhoenix07Thank you so much!   What you posted is super helpful!   I guess it just memorization of what my guns can penetrate when I play different battleships.  A few weeks ago, I fired upon a bow in Moskva but I bounced everything.  I didn't know Stalingrad and Moskva have stronger parts of bow.   Russian bias I guess. 

Members
4,345 posts
11,204 battles
48 minutes ago, kishan99 said:

@MidnightPhoenix07Thank you so much!   What you posted is super helpful!   I guess it just memorization of what my guns can penetrate when I play different battleships.  A few weeks ago, I fired upon a bow in Moskva but I bounced everything.  I didn't know Stalingrad and Moskva have stronger parts of bow.   Russian bias I guess. 

Once you get into the more nitty gritty aspects of the game, it’s pretty much all memorizing numbers and getting used to them until you don’t have to think about it anymore. Overmatch, angling and autobounce, what armor you can/can’t pen with what shells, etc.

Cruiser wise, Moskva and Stalingrad right now are the only ones with different armor thicknesses on the bow (Kron may as well, but I want to say it’s  all 25mm). Originally Moskva was only the thinner 27mm section all the way down the nose, but it was buffed to have the lower 50mm section during or slightly after the fourth clan battle season after Stalingrad was added with a 50mm section that made it flat out tankier than Moskva as a ship that only a few people would have (back when Stalingrad required Typhoon wins in three seasons instead of just getting steel).

[WOLF3]
Members
27,010 posts
23,803 battles
25 minutes ago, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

Once you get into the more nitty gritty aspects of the game, it’s pretty much all memorizing numbers and getting used to them until you don’t have to think about it anymore. Overmatch, angling and autobounce, what armor you can/can’t pen with what shells, etc.

Cruiser wise, Moskva and Stalingrad right now are the only ones with different armor thicknesses on the bow (Kron may as well, but I want to say it’s  all 25mm). Originally Moskva was only the thinner 27mm section all the way down the nose, but it was buffed to have the lower 50mm section during or slightly after the fourth clan battle season after Stalingrad was added with a 50mm section that made it flat out tankier than Moskva as a ship that only a few people would have (back when Stalingrad required Typhoon wins in three seasons instead of just getting steel).

To add, Kronshtadt's bow armor is normal 25mm all the way.  Even the fore end armor belt right at and below the waterline at the bow is 25mm.

GuwRnwC.jpg

The big mistake when she was new was people thinking they could bow tank like a BB with Kronshtadt :Smile_hiding: Hell, her deck armor is 25mm, which is all kinds of bad.  I really don't understand why this ship got pulled like Belfast, Kutuzov, etc.  She really wasn't all that.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Sign in to follow this