You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Lordnaarghul

Why is there a mission objective that requires 30 torpedo hits?

71 comments in this topic

[SAMPS]
Members
81 posts
2,140 battles

I'm a battleship main. I really hate destroyers. I have only one cruiser with torpedoes (the Graf Spee) and while the German battleships that have torpedos are nice, it's a real crapshoot whether or not you can even set them off. Not to mention the Tirpitz' torpedo tubes tend to go pop really easily. 

I'm not objecting to a torpedo hits objective, but 30? this is torture. 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Confused 3
  • Boring 12

[KWF]
Members
4,385 posts
6,405 battles

I understand you hate DDs, but getting a Nicholas is a relatively cost free method of getting torpedo hits quickly and efficiently in Co-op.

• Cool 4

[WK]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,089 posts
15,013 battles

Well, could be like the first round:

Kongo: 20 Cruisers, 150 Aircraft, 1+m Damage

Myoko: 30 Destroyers, 300 fires, 1+m Damage

All in Random Battles.

So I'll take a mere 30 torpedo hits in any mode any day.:Smile_Default:

• Cool 4

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,433 posts
14,165 battles

I gather this is for the ARP missions. Take your Tirpitz into co-op and yolo in to use torpedoes from point blank range.

You could use your DD's in co-op also and do the same yolo'ing to get torpedo hits.

I do suggest that you spend some time in both CV's and DD's in randoms to get a better understanding on how they work there. You don't have to go far up those lines there but I suggest at least tier 6.

[TBW]
Members
10,290 posts
17,484 battles
25 minutes ago, Lordnaarghul said:

I'm a battleship main. I really hate destroyers. I have only one cruiser with torpedoes (the Graf Spee) and while the German battleships that have torpedos are nice, it's a real crapshoot whether or not you can even set them off. Not to mention the Tirpitz' torpedo tubes tend to go pop really easily. 

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,590 posts
15,730 battles

I feel your pain man. As bad as I am in cruisers I unfortunately made people suffer while grinding Admiral Halsey campaign. Some of the requirements was Random upper tiers cruiser missions.

[1984]
Members
4,132 posts
19,960 battles
2 hours ago, Lordnaarghul said:

It’s for you to learn how to play destroyers. You should be happy to do so because it will make you a better (bb) player. You will learn how you in your battleship appear from the eyes of a destroyer, and you will learn that hiding behind the island at the back of the map is not necessary because torpedoes are not magic.

Edited by monpetitloup
  • Cool 5

[USCC2]
Members
6,060 posts
1 hour ago, Lordnaarghul said:

Last time I looked at torpedo hit ratio %, 2x BBs were in the top 5 of all ships. Scharn and Gneis I think it was.

Remember, torps may be the primary damage source for many DDs, but with the game mechanics the way they are, you could still be better off using other ship types! :Smile_honoring:

Edited by _WaveRider_

[PROJX]
Beta Testers
728 posts
4,671 battles

This is why I diversify my fleet :Smile_Default:

As others have said, if you have a Tirpitz, Gneisnau, or any other BB with torps, go COOP just YOLO rush the bots

[WORX]
Members
10,703 posts
18,577 battles

'm a battleship main

Take the Gneisenau a spin in the kiddie pool (Co-op)...  Easy 6 torp hits with 2 kills... OR just the torp hits...

Say 5 torp hits because you're rusty.. That is 6 co-op games with a 5 yo 7 min avg...One hour of play time and its done.

[TDRB]
Members
5,142 posts
13,741 battles

I'm a BB main but I have a collection of DD's for coops. They have proven useful for completing mission, events & directives.

I try to avoid bot DD's & cruisers in coops and charge BB's with my DD's. At 2 km or less it is hard for a BB to dodge. Yes, I get blown out of the water but I rinse & repeat until the task is finished.

Please note, my suggestion is for coops ONLY!

Edited by kgh52

[BNKR]
Members
1,625 posts
2,516 battles

Use Tirpitz in co-op or quickly blitz to a tier V DD in the tech tree and yolo torp in co-op. I’m no kind of destroyer player but that’s not a big ask, to be honest. You could also treat yourself to a T-61 in the shop. She’s quick, agile, has decent guns, quick reloading torpedoes, fun to play, and relatively cheap. 

Edited by RagingxMarmoset

[-PVE-]
Members
621 posts

When Scenario Killer Whale was still the Operation of the Week, I ambushed those enemy ships that spawn in Grids A8 and A5. 

The 30 torpedo hits mission was achieved using Farragut in just two (2) games.

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
3,569 posts
11,184 battles
1 hour ago, Navalpride33 said:

Take the Gneisenau a spin in the kiddie pool (Co-op)...  Easy 6 torp hits with 2 kills... OR just the torp hits...

Say 5 torp hits because you're rusty.. That is 6 co-op games with a 5 yo 7 min avg...One hour of play time and its done.

Yea you be real lucky to get 5 torp hits a game in either of those BBs in coop . Those guys down there are animals they sink every thing before you can even get to a cap.

• Funny 2

[ISLA]
Beta Testers
644 posts
12,085 battles
3 hours ago, Lordnaarghul said:

simple roll a dd or cv. dont care if you like it or not do what you need to do to complete the mission. simple.

[WORX]
Members
10,703 posts
18,577 battles
1 minute ago, clammboy said:

Yea you be real lucky to get 5 torp hits a game in either of those BBs in coop . Those guys down there are animals they sink every thing before you can even get to a cap.

I manage to do it... It can be done... And not every Co-op player are animals... That is a compliment to the "students" of the game...

[-KIA-]
Members
3,475 posts
14,849 battles

There's nothing wrong with the mission.

The only issue I see here is someone who doesn't want to play DD just for 30 torpedo hits and get over with. And it's not like you're restricted to play random or get a decent performance in DD only.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Members
1,092 posts
4 hours ago, Lordnaarghul said:

I did it in a Amalfi in 7 games Co-Op

Get busy on the Italian line.

Beta Testers
694 posts
3,697 battles

Why, because they can. WG don't care that you have self imposed restrictions on playing only one of the available ship classes.

[ARGSY]
Members
20,180 posts
14,348 battles
7 hours ago, Lordnaarghul said:

No, it's easy. You have the tools; what you don't have is the flexible mindset. 

3 hours ago, clammboy said:

From what I read, he's got a Tirpitz. It may not be as fast as a destroyer, but it's a 30kt battleship and it can tank long enough to get into torpedo range. If we were talking a torpedo-armed Colorado, yeah, that might be a problem. But not the Tirpitz.

25 minutes ago, AzureTerra said:

WG don't care that you have self imposed restrictions on playing only one of the available ship classes.

This. 

2 hours ago, AlcatrazNC said:

The only issue I see here is someone who doesn't want to play DD just for 30 torpedo hits and get over with.

This.

5 hours ago, kgh52 said:

I'm a BB main but I have a collection of DD's for coops. They have proven useful for completing mission, events & directives.

This.

5 hours ago, PotatoMD said:

This is why I diversify my fleet :Smile_Default:

As others have said, if you have a Tirpitz, Gneisnau, or any other BB with torps, go COOP just YOLO rush the bots

This.

The problem is with your attitude, OP. That's why you're being called a :Smile_child: - because you're whining like one. When even other BB mains are calling you out, you have to accept that the problem here might be your mental inflexibility.

By the way, if anyone who hasn't done this bit yet has a Sims or Sims B lying around, she's perfect - for better or worse, she's the only DD within eligible tiers that can YOLO-empty BOTH racks into a full-health BB and guarantee to have ALL the torpedoes register before it sinks (these are the long-range fluffy-pillow torps BTW). I tried the Minsk as well, for her speed, but all too often many of the hits were wasted because enemy ship was already dead. 

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[WOLFG]
Members
9,633 posts
8,624 battles
7 hours ago, Lordnaarghul said:

Think about a DD main needing a secondary battery hit mission.

• Cool 1

[SIDE]
Members
4,705 posts
11 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

Think about a DD main needing a secondary battery hit mission.

Be way easier. Majority of DD in random already yolo charge caps and die in first 2-3 mins. At least with a BB they will live longer just getting into secondary range.

The coop work around is a pretty sweet idea though.

Edited by thebigblue

[WOLFG]
Members
9,633 posts
8,624 battles
Just now, thebigblue said:

Be way easier. Majority of DD in random already yolo charge caps and die in first 2-3 mins. At least with a BB they will live longer just getting into secondary range.

True, it would be easier, unless your only BB was the Texas.