You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
wolfman757

Why is smoke so useless

64 comments in this topic

Members
147 posts
732 battles

Except for the enemy of course, it seems to me like if I pop smoke even if I move I get hammered to death, if I don't use smoke of lay it and leave I live longer

SMOKE IS USELESS TO ME

• Cool 1
  • Boring 5

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,187 posts
19,055 battles

The problem here is not the smoke, mate.

• Cool 6
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[NSEW]
Members
1,874 posts
10,727 battles

He is "new", going off of 726 battle count.

Help from unicums would not be missed here, I think.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,187 posts
19,055 battles
15 minutes ago, LowSpeed_US said:

If he wanted help he would've phrased his OP like a question instead of a tantrum.

@wolfman757 I'll give you these for free:

• Firing your guns while in smoke extends your visibility for 20 seconds, you can see the amount in port
  • There is a minimum assured detection range, normally 2km, where you're spotted no matter what
  • Cool 1

Members
147 posts
732 battles

Lert I'll tell you this for free, I didn't fire my guns in the smoke I was trying to heal the repair party enough to take my Destroyer and its 2 hit points left to the real end of the map where  the cowards were hiding at so maybe just maybe one of THEM would fire a shot and somebody besides me, the range was 12km

Doesnt matter much anymore anyway one more battle like the one I just left early and I'm uninstalling it anyway

Edited by wolfman757
  • Funny 2
  • Boring 4

[WOLFG]
Members
29,137 posts
8,353 battles

Throw up a replay where this happens to you. Somebody will help you find what you're missing.

[SYN]
Members
3,685 posts
22,483 battles

Getting the best out of your smokes depends largely on building your knowledge of ships in the game.

Some of the knowledge you need to build up is below but this is only a small part

• Which ships have radar & their range  - No point smoking inside their range
  • Which ships have Hydro & their range - No point smoking inside their range
  • What is your firing in smoke detection range
  • Where are the ships that can torp you

Then you have the tactical knowledge to build on, when to pop smoke, how long to sit in smoke, offensive/defensive smokes, etc. etc.

It will take a while to build up this knowledge but stick with it.

[WORX]
Members
10,759 posts
18,591 battles

I would add what the black cat of the forum stated.

Smoke is VERY useful.. Its useful not only for stingy reasons, its useful for the fleet.

Now you can chose to smoke your self or your fleet... But to say its useless, only when your reckless in playing the class maybe.

[WOLFG]
Members
29,137 posts
8,353 battles
1 minute ago, wolfman757 said:

Doesnt matter much anymore anyway one more battle like the one I just left early and I'm uninstalling it anyway

Fair enough, this game isn't everybody's cup of tea.

It is a niche game after all.

Members
147 posts
732 battles

sorry I don't do replays, for 2 reasons (1) I don't bother keeping them, if I kept every replay that I saw something stupid or bad I'd had I'd have enough for a premier feature film (2) all a replay does is give somebody the motive to condemn the  person that posted it instead of helping

• Funny 1
  • Confused 1

[LEGIT]
Members
2,337 posts
31,823 battles

Ya gotta know its limitations.  Smoke has limitations and is  not a panacea for enemy fire.

I play my Leander and Fiji quite a bit.  They are two of the few cruisers that I think of as front line ships.  Only because of the availability of smoke.

When you pop smoke, are you going to have targets to shoot at?  Are other ships on your team spotting while you're in smoke?

You're probably going to be a torpedo target, so be aware of where the red torp ships are and what range their torpedoes travel.  Don't just sit in the smoke - move around in it - Dunkirk brothers with their extra large smoke screens are brilliant at it.

Are there any radar ships near you that are going to turn on the microwaves and get ya?

If you have to pop smoke to escape then do so.  You may be able to come around behind your smoke and resume devastation - smoke often works just as well for you if you're positioned just behind it - you don't have to be actually in it.

I'm a poor DD player so I won't speak about DD smoke.  But RN CL smoke is a source of great consternation for the enemy when used well.

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,638 posts
8 minutes ago, wolfman757 said:

Battles where you die in smoke are going to happen.  They happen to everyone, it isn't a force field. 

If that is your criteria to keep playing the game, it's already decided.

• Cool 1

Members
147 posts
732 battles
4 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

Fair enough, this game isn't everybody's cup of tea.

It is a niche game after all.

It was a fun game, but with all the cowards, run away's, and groupmate shooters and killers the fun is gone, its like this , a bad day at work is better than a random battle, and sittig trying to hide in smoke while you cant move is like using strobe lights at night trying to be found

Edited by wolfman757
  • Funny 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
1,212 posts
16,540 battles
32 minutes ago, LowSpeed_US said:

Yes it would, OP clearly just wants to rant about the game and call everyone cowards.

• Cool 2

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,187 posts
19,055 battles
12 minutes ago, wolfman757 said:

sorry I don't do replays, for 2 reasons (1) I don't bother keeping them, if I kept every replay that I saw something stupid or bad I'd had I'd have enough for a premier feature film (2) all a replay does is give somebody the motive to condemn the  person that posted it instead of helping

The game automatically keeps replays of your most recent ten (I think?) battles.

But, I was right, you're not here to get answers and learn how to use smoke, you're here to throw a tantrum and toss your toys out of the pram.

Edited by Lert
  • Cool 10
  • Funny 2

[A-D-F]
7,638 posts
6 minutes ago, wolfman757 said:

It was a fun game, but with all the cowards, run away's

This is likely why you are dying in smoke.  Rushing in and dumping smoke doesn't do anything but get you radared.  You have to hold back a bit and wait for the radar ships to burn their cool downs, or die, before smoke does smoke stuff.

The game requires a little patience.  Full throttle, no stop all go, will get you killed no matter what ship you are in.

[A-D-F]
7,638 posts
16 minutes ago, wolfman757 said:

Also, replays are created and kept automatically by your game client.  They are there and you have them.  The last 30 games of yours at least.

People can't help until they can see what you are doing.  If you don't want help, that is fine, but replays are a great tool to review what happened and how to do better.

You know who uses them all the time?  The top players in competitive.  One can always learn and get better.  Even those among the best.

The only way to improve one's self, is to first accept that one is not perfect and can improve.  The only way to solve a problem, is to first acknowledge that it exists.  There is no shame in that.  I have TONS of room to do better and improve.

• Cool 1

Members
147 posts
732 battles

That last battle did it I'm uninstalling this [edited] up piece of crapgame, it WAS fun but I'm sick and [edited]tired of being [edited]team killed so [edited] every damn team killer

• Funny 3
  • Boring 3

[A-D-F]
7,638 posts
2 minutes ago, wolfman757 said:

That last battle did it I'm uninstalling this [edited] up piece of crapgame, it WAS fun but I'm sick and [edited]tired of being [edited]team killed so [edited] every damn team killer

I hope you have fun and enjoy the next game that you move onto.  Later man.

[WORX]
Members
10,759 posts
18,591 battles
2 minutes ago, wolfman757 said:

Co-op... No up tiering there.

[SYN]
Members
8,236 posts
13,957 battles

Haven't we been here before...

O right we have and you still haven't learned basic mechanics...

• Funny 2

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
7,936 posts
11,607 battles
19 minutes ago, wolfman757 said:

rtqUbJ4.jpg

if youre going to quit just because you refuse to learn how something works, thats all on you, not us

Edited by tcbaker777
  • Cool 3

[WOLFG]
Members
29,137 posts
8,353 battles
13 minutes ago, wolfman757 said:

1) you've got the last 30 games stored by default.

2) here's the thing. What bothers you more, knowing you could be doing (and keep doing) something wrong this whole time, that was impacting your enjoyment, because you didn't know any better,

Or,

maybe taking some lumps from some complete strangers, in order to get some useful knowledge?

Members
6,860 posts
15,357 battles
54 minutes ago, wolfman757 said:

Well yeah, obviously it couldn't have been your fault, so good call not bothering with the replay. 

In that case I'd say you are right, smoke is useless, anyone able to make it work must be cheating. 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1