JaysUsedBoatParts

So I was thinking I could afford health care!?

14 comments in this topic

Banned
715 posts
1,011 battles

250 deductible and 0% coinsurance = 1100 bucks per month AND only 1yr contracts...

lol OMG... these insurance company's are straight up thugs now.

might as well save for an emegency EVAC to canada with lodgings? WTH!!?

Edited by JaysUsedBoatParts

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,145 posts
18,994 battles

American healthcare is criminal extortion.

• Boring 1

Members
1,596 posts
25,089 battles

I'm prepared to die, so life extension is unnecessary. I am thus uninsured. I've not seen a Dr. since 1988, and then only for a light physical.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,644 posts

I've never had health insurance but I've been lucky regarding my health. The last time I was in a hospital as a patient was 55 years ago and that was to get my tonsils taken out. The last time I had a medical procedure performed on me was in the army, when I cut my finger and couldn't stitch it myself one-handed. That, and I've accumulated a fair share of medical knowledge myself (army medic, emergency medical technician, paramedic, plus three degrees in biology) so I pretty much what's going to kill me and what the body will take care of on its own. I go to the dentist every ten years or so and occasionally get an eye exam but those aren't covered by normal health insurance anyway.

Ironically, in the US, if you are an illegal resident you can usually go to a certain religious organization and get free health care from them. However, if you are a resident you must pay and health care costs have grown exorbitant. A friend of mine in college got bit by a pet lizard when she was kissing it and got a couple of stitches on her nose, which cost her over a thousand dollars. 

As one gets older, however, the body tends to break down and require more maintenance. Therefore, I'm glad that I'm only a couple of years away from being able to enroll in Medicare.

Edited by Snargfargle

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,430 posts
14,165 battles
18 minutes ago, Lert said:

American healthcare is criminal extortion.

Yet 70% are in favor of UHC. I won't say more because that would be political and would turn into a flame war double quick.

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
3,566 posts
11,169 battles

Ha I pay 1,975.00  dollars a month for me and 7 kids and my ex wife is not even on the plan . 

[WOLF9]
Privateers
13,782 posts
4,631 battles
1 hour ago, Navalpride33 said:

Elections have consequences.

Indeed.  If you think the ACA brought costs down, you're delusional.

• Cool 1

[WORX]
Members
10,648 posts
18,555 battles
5 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

Indeed.  If you think the ACA brought costs down, you're delusional.

When Congress when a (R) were in charge, they took away/canceled every funding to bring down cost... You can;t complain now...

Even if congress passes H.R 3, the (R) in the senate will not vote on it...

Again, elections have consequences.

Edited by Navalpride33

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,644 posts

Having worked in the healthcare field for twenty years, I can say that most health care professionals are dedicated to providing the best patient care that they can. The problem lies with the expense chain. Every link in the chain adds to the final cost of the goods and services provided, which are eventually passed on to the consumer.

For example, medicine in America is terribly expensive. There are several reasons for this. One reason is that our society has become overly litigious. Therefore, in order for a new medication to gain FDA approval it must pass not only clinical trials but also legal ones. Eeven so, if a small percentage of the population has an adverse reaction to it then the class-action lawsuits will start. Juries will hear sob stories and render extraordinarily high settlements in verdicts in order to punish the big mean drug companies. Of the millions of dollars, the lawyers will take a third. The rest will be so diluted that the individuals actually harmed may see little of it. Those millions of dollars in settlements are anticipated by the drug and insurance companies, who charge more order to recoup the losses from them. Drug companies don't pay the fines and settlements -- you do.

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Privateers
13,782 posts
4,631 battles

IMO, demolishing the concept of actual "insurance" - against catastrophic occurrence - is what is driving costs up.  Plus the shenanigans of insurer/provider discounts makes it very difficult to tell where the drivers are, or how a bargain might be obtained.  Starting next year the recent moves to enforce cost transparency in the industry should start to have real effect.

Some numbers:  2002, family of 4 employer insurance + out of pocket costs averaged $9,435.  2014, same family cost totaled $23,215.  Now, what happened in the middle of that period?  That's right, 2010, the misnamed ACA. 

For an interesting analysis, including anticipated effects of transparency, “Promoting Transparency And Clear Choices In Health Care, " Health Affairs Blog, June 9, 2015. DOI: 10.1377/hblog20150609.048337

On 2/6/2020 at 7:41 PM, Navalpride33 said:

Even if congress passes H.R 3, the (R) in the senate will not vote on it...

Do you have any idea what is in HR 3?  I don't.  Given the awful results of the majority party in that chamber I'm not even interesting in investigating it.

Edited by iDuckman

[WORX]
Members
10,648 posts
18,555 battles
2 hours ago, iDuckman said:

Do you have any idea what is in HR 3?  I don't

Here you go ducky

https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-bill/3

You can't exist as a divisive figure on the Federal Level... Unfortunately, the current situation only benefits the few because people are IMO, selfish...

[WOLF9]
Privateers
13,782 posts
4,631 battles
30 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

You can't exist as a divisive figure on the Federal Level...

Sure I can.  Duckly powers, man, duckly powers.  🦆

• Funny 1