Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
jags_domain

What happened to Flak???

19 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

2,103
[SOV]
Members
4,621 posts

Flak bursts were everywhere and it looked so cool now there gone.

Do I need to turn somthing on or are they just gone?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,103
[SOV]
Members
4,621 posts
10 minutes ago, PotatoMD said:

Flak is only long range now 

I have not seen a single burst yet. Its to bad because it was very immersive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,682
[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,485 posts
16 minutes ago, jags_domain said:

I have not seen a single burst yet. Its to bad because it was very immersive.

It is most definitely still there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,732
[FML]
Members
3,939 posts
15,481 battles
30 minutes ago, jags_domain said:

Flak bursts were everywhere and it looked so cool now there gone.

Do I need to turn somthing on or are they just gone?

 

4 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

It is most definantly still there.

It is still there, but only for the long range aura - if your ship doesn’t have long range AA then you won’t see flak puffs.

If enemy planes are really fast, and your long range AA is only very short, then I think it’s possible for planes to fly through that window before your AA guns can load and fire their first salvo. But that’s only for someone slingshotting a ship like Brindisi with its pathetic 4.6km range AA. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
6,110 posts
7,416 battles

Yeah, I've noticed something similar. It seems that from the surface ships perspective, flak clouds aren't rendering. However, they are there. You can see them if you play a CV, even if your hull gets sunk and you spectate from a surface ships perspective you see flak. Also, you'll occasionally wipe or nearly wipe an entire squadron of planes. The only way to do this is for the CV player to run into a flak cloud or two. But it just doesn't seem to render from the surface ship perspective.

Make sure you have "animate small objects" checked under the graphics settings. That is what makes the flak clouds render or not, outside of this odd phenomenon where they seem to just not be rendering from the non-CV perspective.

28 minutes ago, PotatoMD said:

Flak is only long range now 

And that long range band goes all the way from 6km/5km down to I think 1km at least, so flak clouds should be spawning all the way in for a CV on an attack run. Of course, this assumes you have a ship with long range AA, because not all of them do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,835
[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,412 posts
14,163 battles
29 minutes ago, PotatoMD said:

Flak is only long range now 

The DoT damage is still there but not the burst damage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,707
[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
3,565 posts
11,145 battles
23 minutes ago, jags_domain said:

I have not seen a single burst yet. Its to bad because it was very immersive.

I agree it looked cool .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38,036
[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
12,033 posts
10,089 battles

Flak explosions spawn between a ship's maximum AA range and 3.5km. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,425
[WOLFG]
Members
28,931 posts
8,200 battles
1 minute ago, GhostSwordsman said:

But it just doesn't seem to render from the surface ship perspective.

Make sure you have "animate small objects" checked under the graphics settings. That is what makes the flak clouds render or not, outside of this odd phenomenon where they seem to just not be rendering from the non-CV perspective.

I've noticed this too. I'll see no clouds, but be watching the damage numbers, and it'll go something like 30 30 50 (when I prioritise sector) 50 1200 50.....

So I know the flak is working, the puffs just aren't showing up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,103
[SOV]
Members
4,621 posts
16 hours ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Flak explosions spawn between a ship's maximum AA range and 3.5km. 

Its been a year sents my last game. I remember playing cv was so emersive because it looked real. Dodging flak was very cool.

Last night in my Graff I saw maybe 1 burst but planes died according to the spreadsheet. There did not seem to be any skill in it anymore.

Maybe you could get them to put it back the way it was?

Edited by jags_domain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,103
[SOV]
Members
4,621 posts
16 hours ago, GhostSwordsman said:

Yeah, I've noticed something similar. It seems that from the surface ships perspective, flak clouds aren't rendering. However, they are there. You can see them if you play a CV, even if your hull gets sunk and you spectate from a surface ships perspective you see flak. Also, you'll occasionally wipe or nearly wipe an entire squadron of planes. The only way to do this is for the CV player to run into a flak cloud or two. But it just doesn't seem to render from the surface ship perspective.

Make sure you have "animate small objects" checked under the graphics settings. That is what makes the flak clouds render or not, outside of this odd phenomenon where they seem to just not be rendering from the non-CV perspective.

And that long range band goes all the way from 6km/5km down to I think 1km at least, so flak clouds should be spawning all the way in for a CV on an attack run. Of course, this assumes you have a ship with long range AA, because not all of them do.

Will check the grafix

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,103
[SOV]
Members
4,621 posts
16 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

The DoT damage is still there but not the burst damage.

I have to say they took the challange, emmersivness, right out of cv play and turned it into a sprees sheet. 

Its to bad the whiny apparently worked. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38,036
[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
12,033 posts
10,089 battles
1 hour ago, jags_domain said:

Its been a year sents my last game. I remember playing cv was so emersive because it looked real. Dodging flak was very cool.

Last night in my Graff I saw maybe 1 burst but planes died according to the spreadsheet. There did not seem to be any skill in it anymore.

Maybe you could get them to put it back the way it was? 

The problem with "dodging flak" was that for most carriers, it was largely unnecessary.  For rockets, torpedo bombers and British bombers, left click.  As soon as you engaged in an attack run, you became immune to flak explosions, which is all kinds of brainless.   This just left dive bombers that had any need to manoeuvre and, as demonstrated, they too could ignore flak by using a slingshot drop method to catapult themselves through the worst of AA fire.

Flak only hits the inexperienced carrier players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
186
[ARGSY]
Members
455 posts
9,103 battles
17 hours ago, GhostSwordsman said:

Yeah, I've noticed something similar. It seems that from the surface ships perspective, flak clouds aren't rendering. However, they are there. You can see them if you play a CV, even if your hull gets sunk and you spectate from a surface ships perspective you see flak. Also, you'll occasionally wipe or nearly wipe an entire squadron of planes. The only way to do this is for the CV player to run into a flak cloud or two. But it just doesn't seem to render from the surface ship perspective.

Make sure you have "animate small objects" checked under the graphics settings. That is what makes the flak clouds render or not, outside of this odd phenomenon where they seem to just not be rendering from the non-CV perspective.

And that long range band goes all the way from 6km/5km down to I think 1km at least, so flak clouds should be spawning all the way in for a CV on an attack run. Of course, this assumes you have a ship with long range AA, because not all of them do.

Yes, if you get eliminated in a game, click on and follow your team's cv. If you hit the z button you will be able to follow the cv's current flight of aircraft. You will see plenty of flak.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,103
[SOV]
Members
4,621 posts
42 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

The problem with "dodging flak" was that for most carriers, it was largely unnecessary.  For rockets, torpedo bombers and British bombers, left click.  As soon as you engaged in an attack run, you became immune to flak explosions, which is all kinds of brainless.   This just left dive bombers that had any need to manoeuvre and, as demonstrated, they too could ignore flak by using a slingshot drop method to catapult themselves through the worst of AA fire.

Flak only hits the inexperienced carrier players.

Ok.. Thanks for the answer. But it was still cool!

Is there any evasive manuvers now or is it just a spreadsheet?  Should I even bother maneuvering?

Edited by jags_domain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,835
[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,412 posts
14,163 battles
3 hours ago, jags_domain said:

I have to say they took the challange, emmersivness, right out of cv play and turned it into a sprees sheet. 

Its to bad the whiny apparently worked. 

CV's were only for the few in the RTS days and so rare in the upper tiers that an AA build was only useful about 20% of the time.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,027
[BONKS]
Members
1,478 posts
48 battles

Flak has always rendered completely different from a surface ship perspective. Flak for CVs always renders as "walls", while flak for surface ships renders completely randomized.

I wouldn't know if flak still renders as such for surface ships (:Smile_trollface:) but I can assure you for a CV it's still very much there. Unless ofc the ship you're attacking either doesn't have flak or the AA range is so short that flak doesn't even get to spawn before your planes fly to within 3.5km.

 

2 hours ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

The problem with "dodging flak" was that for most carriers, it was largely unnecessary.  For rockets, torpedo bombers and British bombers, left click.  As soon as you engaged in an attack run, you became immune to flak explosions, which is all kinds of brainless.   This just left dive bombers that had any need to manoeuvre and, as demonstrated, they too could ignore flak by using a slingshot drop method to catapult themselves through the worst of AA fire.

Untrue. Flak typically aims for the highest concentration of planes, which during an attack run is usually your reserve wings flying behind you, not the attacking ones. The reason why e.g. flak aims above your attacking wings when doing a TB run? Because your reserve wings are flying above you as well.

The only flak you dodge when attacking are the walls that already spawned due to the change in altitude.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,103
[SOV]
Members
4,621 posts
1 hour ago, BrushWolf said:

CV's were only for the few in the RTS days and so rare in the upper tiers that an AA build was only useful about 20% of the time.

 

I still think its fun.  Gave it a year to cool down...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×