You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
MEANN

Random Game tactics

18 comments in this topic

[HATE]
Members
1,058 posts
15,966 battles

DD

Main role. Spot, cap, torp runs, fire starting, and herding

• Spotting. Seems pretty strait forward except that often times dd's will hide behind an island and allow for low health boats to escape and come back later mostly full. If you are spotting a ship hold the position long enough for your team to finish them off. Then continue on to torp or cap.
  • Capping is a requirement of Randoms. However rushing into the cap in the first 3 minutes will usually net you dead. So instead of rushing in, move within 4km of the cap to wait for the other dd to rush in and allow for your team to focus them down and repel the rest of the team and usually will net you an easy cap as the first dd will die the second one will get the cap. 
  • Torp runs and herding. Top tip when using a dd with 3 sets of torps. Hold 1 set until the first 2 are spotted then send the 3rd at the turned path. Herding is about making campers move. how often do you see a radar boat sucked up to an island and they can control a cap just by their presence. Sending torps at them will force them to move or eat torps. either way you can made them no longer stationary. when you are open water torping consider making sure you are in an angle that requires the target to turn to either side giving your team his broadside and this is also a time when you keep spotting contact for your team.
  • Pay attention to when you get floods and fire and when they damicon. Call out when they do so the rest of your team can relight them for permanent fires. 

CA

Main role. AA support for bb, torp runs, cap control, radar, geography control, fire starting, 

• AA support, it seems like a stupid thing however, if you protect your BB from being just punished you allow for your heavy hitters to do their jobs. 
  • torps are in most cases defensive but not in all ships. the IJN have great toprs. Usually used as a kite away and make your pursuer hate life or have to turn and give you a better angle for AP
  • Cap control and geography control are accomplished in many different ways. I will highlight a few here. 
  1. Radar boats on either flanking island will keep dd's from getting into positions to torp your team from behind. (this is very bad for winning if it is allowed to happen)
  2. Mino/Smole and their smoke and silly rates of fire will also keep bb and cruiser pushes on the flanks. As they can Smoke and repel many pushes. (DD spotting is how this is effective)
  3. Super cruisers ie Stali and co. can control a flank by just being 15k back as they are meant to kill cruisers. 
  4. Fire starting. Well, Wooster, smole, zao and company are very good at this behavior. Just like a DD please call out when you have caused a damicon. 

BB

Main role. Kill other bb's cruisers, and try not to eat torps from dd's

• Not all BB play if bow in and tank. All of the different lines have different skill sets. The American line of course has some of the best AP in the game and can tank copious amounts of damage. Decent AA, however they are not very fast or maneuverable. They French line is very fast and has a stupid fast reload. They are very good at flanking. GK/Kremlin are your in close brawlers. Yammy can sit at distance and send 18" of love accurately. However yammy has great torp protection but burns really easy. 
  • When a BB is bow in HE is your friend. Also if they BB is kiting away is also a good HE kinda moment. AP is broad side love. Take a moment and check out in the game under the armor scheme where best to shoot each BB in the game. 
  • Also BB's are not DD's If you charge a cap early you will 100% die. I have watched this happen in my last 4 games. Some GK or BB thinks I got this! Hint..you don't.

CV 

Main Role. Spot, torp, set fires, kill DD, Keep positions of enemy spotted for smoke boats

• Spotting much like a DD however they are a limited time spotter. In the beginning most cv players will make a run around the map to show the formation of the red team. Often times if the cv player will not just race away from the boats as they are moving into initial positions the BB's on your team can cause a larges amount of damage in the very beginning of the game. So when you are rolling around the map at first and you spot a cruiser (stali) mid turn and broadside to your team hang out for 1 minutes or so they way your BB's can swing over and punish the offending boat. I can't tell you how many times if my cv had hung out 30 seconds or 15 more i would have been able to just smash a broadside cruiser. 
  • Torp and fires are much the same across the board of ships. call out damincons as it helps the team. 
  • If you have a smole, gumo, or mino protecting your flank and the dd has been removed spot for said cruiser as you will help kepp the flank. if your flank falls cv you are the first target. 

I hope this helps out. I am of course in no way scratching the surface of each individual lines idiosyncrasy. Do some online research about the main "gimmick" of each line. and I hope you have a great battle.

Meann out!

• Cool 4
  • Confused 2
  • Boring 1

[HATE]
Members
1,058 posts
15,966 battles

A thought that I didn't post. When you are in a game, remember the rest of your team wants to win also. 

• Boring 1

[NAHSF]
Members
11 posts
1,186 battles

Nice tips on the DDs. Seems the norm is everyone wants you to rush in, I feel better since I've been playing with different tactics. Thanks for sharing.

[HATE]
Members
1,058 posts
15,966 battles
3 minutes ago, Corinze said:

Nice tips on the DDs. Seems the norm is everyone wants you to rush in, I feel better since I've been playing with different tactics. Thanks for sharing.

no problem. if you have any specific questions i will try to give you the best answer i can.

• Boring 1

[WORX]
Members
10,670 posts
18,558 battles

IMO the Write up is out dated for today's meta...

If this was written up 2 years ago, I agree its current... As of right now? Old tactics.

[HATE]
Members
1,058 posts
15,966 battles
5 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

IMO the Write up is out dated for today's meta...

If this was written up 2 years ago, I agree its current... As of right now? Old tactics.

These are not out dates in anyway. The current meta boats do not change sound tactics. 

Being that you obliviously have much more skill than me. As i can see that your clan has 25 clan battle strength on Na-wows. You would i'm sure be able to provide your winning insight. Me and My clan only have an 80 rating in clan battles and have usually ended in the top 50 on the na server. But, please post the current meta strats as understood by your amazing past performance by your team that i'm am sure you lead. 

• Funny 2

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
5,891 posts
17,943 battles
1 hour ago, MEANN said:

• Also BB's are not DD's If you charge a cap early you will 100% die. I have watched this happen in my last 4 games. Some GK or BB thinks I got this! Hint..you don't.

There are times you can charge early and make it a win.  The key is to know HOW to do it...the tactical factor.  And WHEN to do it..the strategic factor.  Matchmaking.  Map.  Spawn.  Support.  Enemy deployment.  Tiers.  Torp soup dynamics.  Learn to read all those leaves while pushing (with an out if needed), and when things line up...you're all in early.  

Granted, you can't just DECIDE it's a charge no matter what.  That's bad.  A yolo to defeat.  But you can decide to push early and turn that push into a cap charge as things unfold.  I've done it many times in my KMs, and won many times.  Many times, I've had to revert to tank...or (when opportunity presents) turn away.  But that's all part of the calculations involved in the early push.  But I often push up in my KMs looking for that early opening.  Give it to me, and I'm all in.  If it's not there...revert to secondary strategy.

One reason this is effective is because many other BBs don't know its effective, and will often sit back in an attrition support role.  So while there are red DDs and CAs pushing in cap support that balance my green DDs and CA cap support push, we add the big bully (me!) crashing into the middle of that fray.  And it can be a crushing red defeat. 

• Cool 1

[HATE]
Members
1,058 posts
15,966 battles
4 minutes ago, Soshi_Sone said:

There are times you can charge early and make it a win.  The key is to know HOW to do it...the tactical factor.  And WHEN to do it..the strategic factor.  Matchmaking.  Map.  Spawn.  Support.  Enemy deployment.  Tiers.  Torp soup dynamics.  Learn to read all those leaves while pushing (with an out if needed), and when things line up...you're all in early.  

Granted, you can't just DECIDE it's a charge no matter what.  That's bad.  A yolo to defeat.  But you can decide to push early and turn that push into a cap charge as things unfold.  I've done it many times in my KMs, and won many times.  Many times, I've had to revert to tank...or (when opportunity presents) turn away.  But that's all part of the calculations involved in the early push.  But I often push up in my KMs looking for that early opening.  Give it to me, and I'm all in.  If it's not there...revert to secondary strategy.

One reason this is effective is because many other BBs don't know its effective, and will often sit back in an attrition support role.  So while there are red DDs and CAs pushing in cap support that balance my green DDs and CA cap support push, we add the big bully (me!) crashing into the middle of that fray.  And it can be a crushing red defeat. 

As much as it can work it takes someone with 14k games or at least above average skills to attempt that. I would rather the advise i give be able to be employed by any skill level.

[RLGN]
Members
14,306 posts
25,241 battles
1 hour ago, MEANN said:

A thought that I didn't post. When you are in a game, remember the rest of your team wants to win also. 

Not so sure about this at times.

• Cool 3

[WORX]
Members
10,670 posts
18,558 battles
2 hours ago, MEANN said:

DD

• Spotting. Seems pretty strait forward. DDs sole role especially at high tiers. except that often times dd's will hide behind an island and allow for low health boats to escape and come back later mostly full. If you are spotting a ship hold the position long enough for your team to finish them off. Then continue on to torp or cap.
  • Capping is a requirement of Randoms. Accept in high tiers, this feature is no longer the job of the DDs. Leave this for BBs/cruisers especially in a CV matches... Resist the temptation to cap, its not the job describtion of DD class in today's meta However rushing into the cap in the first 3 minutes will usually net you dead. So instead of rushing in, move within 4km of the cap to wait for the other dd to rush in and allow for your team to focus them down and repel the rest of the team and usually will net you an easy cap as the first dd will die the second one will get the cap. 
  • Torp runs and herding. Top tip when using a dd with 3 sets of torps.  Dont send torps at ships with hydro or with a DD in front. IF you do, no matter how many torp sets you have... They will all miss. Hold 1 set until the first 2 are spotted then send the 3rd at the turned path. Herding is about making campers move. how often do you see a radar boat sucked up to an island and they can control a cap just by their presence. Sending torps at them will force them to move or eat torps <<Not if they have Hydro>>. either way you can made them no longer stationary. when you are open water torping, Dont send torps with ships with hydro, aiming torps depends a lot on their seed and if they turn away or in. High tiers, the angle makes no difference... Those ships can turn o90 faster then cruisers or DDs.consider making sure you are in an angle that requires the target to turn to either side giving your team his broadside and this is also a time when you keep spotting contact for your team.
  • Pay attention to when you get floods and fire and when they damicon. Call out when they do so the rest of your team can relight them for permanent fires. 

CA

Main role. AA support for bb, torp runs, cap control, radar, geography control, fire starting, Help maintain the BB adv.

• AA support, Not in today's meta... BBs and some DDs (not the torp DDs) shot more planes then cruisers... Use your AA for your self defense... it seems like a stupid thing however, if you protect your BB from being just punished you allow for your heavy hitters to do their jobs. 
  • torps are in most ALL cases defensive for the cruiser class. Never use torps as offensive option in cruisers... Defensive options means, your last ditch effort to sink or DMG a foe less then 5km away.  but not in all ships. the IJN have great toprs. Usually used as a kite away and make your pursuer hate life or have to turn and give you a better angle for AP
  • Cap control and geography control are accomplished in many different ways. I will highlight a few here. 
  1. Radar boats With RPF, can hunt down ANY DD on the board torp DD or gun DD. on either flanking island will keep dd's from getting into positions to torp your team from behind. (this is very bad for winning if it is allowed to happen)
  2. Mino/Smole and their smoke and silly rates of fire will also keep bb and cruiser pushes on the flanks. Careful with this idea, it only takes 6 shells to sink a cruiser at high tiers.. At this lvl, people can aim well even in smoke. As they can Smoke and repel many pushes. (DD spotting is how this is effective)
  3. Super cruisers ie Stali and co. can control a flank by just being 15k back as they are meant to kill cruisers. 
  4. Fire starting. Well, Wooster, smole, zao and company are very good at this behavior. Just like a DD please call out when you have caused a damicon. 
  • Help control the BB adv. against the red fleet.
    • Simple, the fleet that manages the BB adv. has a better change (mathematically) of winning the match

BB

Main role. Kill other bb's cruisers, try not to eat avoid torps from dd's. CAP, Assist in capping, Maintaining the BB adv.  

• Not all BB play if bow in and tank. All of the different lines have different skill sets. The American line of course has some of the best AP except certain ships... The Colorado is not one with good AP. in the game and can tank copious amounts of damage. Decent  GREAT AA in fact, BBs have better AA then cruisers, however they are not very fast or maneuverable.
  • They French line is very fast and has a stupid fast reload. They are very good at flanking. GK is bad in close quarters, good mid range (8km to 12km) very bad long range/Kremlin is best described RU BB biased. are your in close brawlers. Yammy is no longer the king of BBs or of long range alpha DMG dealer, in today's meta.. ANY high tier BB can delete a ship from a cap away. can sit at distance and send 18" of love accurately. However yammy has great torp protection but Her armor is sub par compared to the other BBs in her tier. burns really easy. 
  • When a BB is bow in HE is your friend. Also if they BB is kiting away is also a good HE kinda moment. AP is the shell ordnance of choice for must high tier BBs VS cruisers... It doesn't matter if its bow on tailing or broadsides..If it hits a cruiser it will Pen. broad side love. Take a moment and check out in the game under the armor scheme where best to shoot each BB in the game. 
  • Also BB's are not DD's in high tier domination mode. I get sick of BBs treating caps like its infected with corona. In today's meta, you're task with capping or helping cruiser cap in high tier games. Failure to do so will result in a loss on pts..  Make sure, you dont go by your self to a cap. You need cruiser support.If you charge a cap early you will 100% die. I have watched this happen in my last 4 games. Some GK or BB thinks I got this! Hint..you don't.
  • Maintain the BB adv. This is the must important skill of all, especially at high tiers... If your BBs are sunk, no other ship class will carry the void they left behind.

CV 

Main Role. Spot, torp, set fires, kill DD, Keep positions of enemy spotted for smoke boats

Work in progress. Rework CVs 3.0 to replace the disaster of Rework CVs 2.0

• Spotting much like a DD however they are a limited time spotter. In the beginning most cv players will make a run around the map to show the formation of the red team. Often times if the cv player will not just race away from the boats as they are moving into initial positions the BB's on your team can cause a larges amount of damage in the very beginning of the game. So when you are rolling around the map at first and you spot a cruiser (stali) mid turn and broadside to your team hang out for 1 minutes or so they way your BB's can swing over and punish the offending boat. I can't tell you how many times if my cv had hung out 30 seconds or 15 more i would have been able to just smash a broadside cruiser. 
  • Torp and fires are much the same across the board of ships. call out damincons as it helps the team. 
  • If you have a smole, gumo, or mino protecting your flank and the dd has been removed spot for said cruiser as you will help kepp the flank. if your flank falls cv you are the first target. 

I hope this helps out. I am of course in no way scratching the surface of each individual lines idiosyncrasy. Do some online research about the main "gimmick" of each line. and I hope you have a great battle.

Meann out!

^^^^^FiFY Meann.

Edited by Navalpride33

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,431 posts
14,165 battles

How DD's need to act depends on if there are CV's and how many.

Zero CV's - go out and do your DD things.

One CV - wait to see where the CV is operating then go where he isn't and do your DD things.

Two CV's - similar to one but it will be harder to find the gap.

Three CV's - yeah you are screwed but this is only common with tier 4 CV's.

[HATE]
Members
1,058 posts
15,966 battles
34 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:
3 hours ago, MEANN said:

DD

• Spotting. Seems pretty strait forward. DDs sole role especially at high tiers. except that often times dd's will hide behind an island and allow for low health boats to escape and come back later mostly full. If you are spotting a ship hold the position long enough for your team to finish them off. Then continue on to torp or cap.
  • Capping is a requirement of Randoms. Accept in high tiers, this feature is no longer the job of the DDs. Leave this for BBs/cruisers especially in a CV matches... Resist the temptation to cap, its not the job describtion of DD class in today's meta However rushing into the cap in the first 3 minutes will usually net you dead. So instead of rushing in, move within 4km of the cap to wait for the other dd to rush in and allow for your team to focus them down and repel the rest of the team and usually will net you an easy cap as the first dd will die the second one will get the cap. 
  • Torp runs and herding. Top tip when using a dd with 3 sets of torps.  Dont send torps at ships with hydro or with a DD in front. IF you do, no matter how many torp sets you have... They will all miss. Hold 1 set until the first 2 are spotted then send the 3rd at the turned path. Herding is about making campers move. how often do you see a radar boat sucked up to an island and they can control a cap just by their presence. Sending torps at them will force them to move or eat torps <<Not if they have Hydro>>. either way you can made them no longer stationary. when you are open water torping, Dont send torps with ships with hydro, aiming torps depends a lot on their seed and if they turn away or in. High tiers, the angle makes no difference... Those ships can turn o90 faster then cruisers or DDs.consider making sure you are in an angle that requires the target to turn to either side giving your team his broadside and this is also a time when you keep spotting contact for your team.

CA

Main role. AA support for bb, torp runs, cap control, radar, geography control, fire starting, Help maintain the BB adv.

• AA support, Not in today's meta... BBs and some DDs (not the torp DDs) shot more planes then cruisers... Use your AA for your self defense... it seems like a stupid thing however, if you protect your BB from being just punished you allow for your heavy hitters to do their jobs. 
  • torps are in most ALL cases defensive for the cruiser class. Never use torps as offensive option in cruisers... Defensive options means, your last ditch effort to sink or DMG a foe less then 5km away.  but not in all ships. the IJN have great toprs. Usually used as a kite away and make your pursuer hate life or have to turn and give you a better angle for AP
  1. Radar boats With RPF, can hunt down ANY DD on the board torp DD or gun DD. on either flanking island will keep dd's from getting into positions to torp your team from behind. (this is very bad for winning if it is allowed to happen)
  2. Mino/Smole and their smoke and silly rates of fire will also keep bb and cruiser pushes on the flanks. Careful with this idea, it only takes 6 shells to sink a cruiser at high tiers.. At this lvl, people can aim well even in smoke. As they can Smoke and repel many pushes. (DD spotting is how this is effective)
    • Simple, the fleet that manages the BB adv. has a better change (mathematically) of winning the match

BB

Main role. Kill other bb's cruisers, try not to eat avoid torps from dd's. CAP, Assist in capping, Maintaining the BB adv.  

• Not all BB play if bow in and tank. All of the different lines have different skill sets. The American line of course has some of the best AP except certain ships... The Colorado is not one with good AP. in the game and can tank copious amounts of damage. Decent  GREAT AA in fact, BBs have better AA then cruisers, however they are not very fast or maneuverable.
  • They French line is very fast and has a stupid fast reload. They are very good at flanking. GK is bad in close quarters, good mid range (8km to 12km) very bad long range/Kremlin is best described RU BB biased. are your in close brawlers. Yammy is no longer the king of BBs or of long range alpha DMG dealer, in today's meta.. ANY high tier BB can delete a ship from a cap away. can sit at distance and send 18" of love accurately. However yammy has great torp protection but Her armor is sub par compared to the other BBs in her tier. burns really easy. 
  • When a BB is bow in HE is your friend. Also if they BB is kiting away is also a good HE kinda moment. AP is the shell ordnance of choice for must high tier BBs VS cruisers... It doesn't matter if its bow on tailing or broadsides..If it hits a cruiser it will Pen. broad side love. Take a moment and check out in the game under the armor scheme where best to shoot each BB in the game. 
  • Also BB's are not DD's in high tier domination mode. I get sick of BBs treating caps like its infected with corona. In today's meta, you're task with capping or helping cruiser cap in high tier games. Failure to do so will result in a loss on pts..  Make sure, you dont go by your self to a cap. You need cruiser support.If you charge a cap early you will 100% die. I have watched this happen in my last 4 games. Some GK or BB thinks I got this! Hint..you don't.
  • Maintain the BB adv. This is the must important skill of all, especially at high tiers... If your BBs are sunk, no other ship class will carry the void they left behind.

CV 

Meann out!

^^^^^FiFY Meann.

would you mind settling this @DolphinPrincess my original post below and the criticism of @Navalpride33

DD

• Spotting. Seems pretty strait forward except that often times dd's will hide behind an island and allow for low health boats to escape and come back later mostly full. If you are spotting a ship hold the position long enough for your team to finish them off. Then continue on to torp or cap.
  • Capping is a requirement of Randoms. However rushing into the cap in the first 3 minutes will usually net you dead. So instead of rushing in, move within 4km of the cap to wait for the other dd to rush in and allow for your team to focus them down and repel the rest of the team and usually will net you an easy cap as the first dd will die the second one will get the cap. 
  • Torp runs and herding. Top tip when using a dd with 3 sets of torps. Hold 1 set until the first 2 are spotted then send the 3rd at the turned path. Herding is about making campers move. how often do you see a radar boat sucked up to an island and they can control a cap just by their presence. Sending torps at them will force them to move or eat torps. either way you can made them no longer stationary. when you are open water torping consider making sure you are in an angle that requires the target to turn to either side giving your team his broadside and this is also a time when you keep spotting contact for your team.
  • Pay attention to when you get floods and fire and when they damicon. Call out when they do so the rest of your team can relight them for permanent fires. 

CA

Main role. AA support for bb, torp runs, cap control, radar, geography control, fire starting, 

• AA support, it seems like a stupid thing however, if you protect your BB from being just punished you allow for your heavy hitters to do their jobs. 
  • torps are in most cases defensive but not in all ships. the IJN have great toprs. Usually used as a kite away and make your pursuer hate life or have to turn and give you a better angle for AP
  • Cap control and geography control are accomplished in many different ways. I will highlight a few here. 
  1. Radar boats on either flanking island will keep dd's from getting into positions to torp your team from behind. (this is very bad for winning if it is allowed to happen)
  2. Mino/Smole and their smoke and silly rates of fire will also keep bb and cruiser pushes on the flanks. As they can Smoke and repel many pushes. (DD spotting is how this is effective)

BB

• Not all BB play if bow in and tank. All of the different lines have different skill sets. The American line of course has some of the best AP in the game and can tank copious amounts of damage. Decent AA, however they are not very fast or maneuverable. They French line is very fast and has a stupid fast reload. They are very good at flanking. GK/Kremlin are your in close brawlers. Yammy can sit at distance and send 18" of love accurately. However yammy has great torp protection but burns really easy. 
  • When a BB is bow in HE is your friend. Also if they BB is kiting away is also a good HE kinda moment. AP is broad side love. Take a moment and check out in the game under the armor scheme where best to shoot each BB in the game. 

CV 

• Spotting much like a DD however they are a limited time spotter. In the beginning most cv players will make a run around the map to show the formation of the red team. Often times if the cv player will not just race away from the boats as they are moving into initial positions the BB's on your team can cause a larges amount of damage in the very beginning of the game. So when you are rolling around the map at first and you spot a cruiser (stali) mid turn and broadside to your team hang out for 1 minutes or so they way your BB's can swing over and punish the offending boat. I can't tell you how many times if my cv had hung out 30 seconds or 15 more i would have been able to just smash a broadside cruiser. 

I hope this helps out. I am of course in no way scratching the surface of each individual lines idiosyncrasy. Do some online research about the main "gimmick" of each line. and I hope you have a great battle.

Meann out!

[R-F]
Members
1,787 posts
10,853 battles
1 hour ago, MEANN said:

These are not out dates in anyway. The current meta boats do not change sound tactics. 

Being that you obliviously have much more skill than me. As i can see that your clan has 25 clan battle strength on Na-wows. You would i'm sure be able to provide your winning insight. Me and My clan only have an 80 rating in clan battles and have usually ended in the top 50 on the na server. But, please post the current meta strats as understood by your amazing past performance by your team that i'm am sure you lead. 

You two have very similar stats.  Kinda weird that you'd play "my clan is better than yours" as your comeback to someone disagreeing with you.

[HATE]
Members
1,058 posts
15,966 battles
3 minutes ago, Brhinosaurus said:

You two have very similar stats.  Kinda weird that you'd play "my clan is better than yours" as your comeback to someone disagreeing with you.

except in every measurable way. You could say that we are equal. as we have very similar stats.

1004086260.png

1024686899.png

He has 30k ave dmg and his clan has a 25 rating. if his clan got 3 time better they would still not equal my clan.

Rogue Fleet  is a top 20 clan. Much respect for your clan. However we are in the top 50. So i can use stats as a reason for rebuttal. 

image.thumb.png.349a512724b8d7d7b9a05c317bf0f10c.png

image.thumb.png.7d7c634b296d7c59eefacbf26bc883a2.png

[TDRB]
Members
5,142 posts
13,741 battles
1 hour ago, MEANN said:

If the match is CV free then I agree. DD's must change their tactics if there are CV's in the battle if they are going to fulfill their role.

[R-F]
Members
1,787 posts
10,853 battles
2 hours ago, MEANN said:

except in every measurable way. You could say that we are equal. as we have very similar stats.

He has 30k ave dmg and his clan has a 25 rating. if his clan got 3 time better they would still not equal my clan.

Rogue Fleet  is a top 20 clan. Much respect for your clan. However we are in the top 50. So i can use stats as a reason for rebuttal.

I guess I just don't get why clan performance has any basis to judge whether or not someone is qualified to comment on tactics for random battles.  If I leave my top 20 clan and join a ultra casual clan with a 46% average winrate, am I no longer as knowledgeable of a player as I was before?

The way I see it, if we're judging people's qualifications to discuss random battle tactics, we ought to be looking at their performance in random battles.  If we do that, we have a 49.5% WR / 1071 PR player dismissing the opinions of a 49.1% WR / 1093 PR player.  Nearly identical stats.  Doesn't make sense to me.

Granted your performance over the last three weeks is much better than your overall average, so perhaps we should account for that.  Is it just a random hot streak, or have you made some recent discoveries that have really elevated your play?  That could certainly be some excellent information to discuss.

[HATE]
Members
1,058 posts
15,966 battles
17 hours ago, Brhinosaurus said:

I guess I just don't get why clan performance has any basis to judge whether or not someone is qualified to comment on tactics for random battles.  If I leave my top 20 clan and join a ultra casual clan with a 46% average winrate, am I no longer as knowledgeable of a player as I was before?

The way I see it, if we're judging people's qualifications to discuss random battle tactics, we ought to be looking at their performance in random battles.  If we do that, we have a 49.5% WR / 1071 PR player dismissing the opinions of a 49.1% WR / 1093 PR player.  Nearly identical stats.  Doesn't make sense to me.

Granted your performance over the last three weeks is much better than your overall average, so perhaps we should account for that.  Is it just a random hot streak, or have you made some recent discoveries that have really elevated your play?  That could certainly be some excellent information to discuss.

SO the issue of my stats are the volume of games. 10,273 in randoms alone. not counting 1200 or so in clan wars. I have for the past year and half  have been working very much towards improving my stats and game play. Mostly form playing with unicom players and the competitive play translates into usable skills in randoms.  my trailing 21 days is how i view myself as it is the most accurate representative of my current game play. most of the time that is a sample size of close to 200 games. as a snippet of my last 100 games or so. I can see where i can improve and where im doing well.

image.thumb.png.76c76827b18517917a41f05ede43798c.png

As to your assessment of me and navalpride33 his estimate of what i would believe to be sound advise is wrong and i would ask if you agree with his or my opinion. 

4 hours ago, Navalpride33 said:
  7 hours ago, MEANN said:

DD

Main role. Spot, cap, torp runs, fire starting, and herding

• Spotting. Seems pretty strait forward. DDs sole role especially at high tiers. except that often times dd's will hide behind an island and allow for low health boats to escape and come back later mostly full. If you are spotting a ship hold the position long enough for your team to finish them off. Then continue on to torp or cap.
  • Capping is a requirement of Randoms. Accept in high tiers, this feature is no longer the job of the DDs. Leave this for BBs/cruisers especially in a CV matches... Resist the temptation to cap, its not the job describtion of DD class in today's meta However rushing into the cap in the first 3 minutes will usually net you dead. So instead of rushing in, move within 4km of the cap to wait for the other dd to rush in and allow for your team to focus them down and repel the rest of the team and usually will net you an easy cap as the first dd will die the second one will get the cap. 
  • Torp runs and herding. Top tip when using a dd with 3 sets of torps.  Dont send torps at ships with hydro or with a DD in front. IF you do, no matter how many torp sets you have... They will all miss. Hold 1 set until the first 2 are spotted then send the 3rd at the turned path. Herding is about making campers move. how often do you see a radar boat sucked up to an island and they can control a cap just by their presence. Sending torps at them will force them to move or eat torps <<Not if they have Hydro>>. either way you can made them no longer stationary. when you are open water torping, Dont send torps with ships with hydro, aiming torps depends a lot on their seed and if they turn away or in. High tiers, the angle makes no difference... Those ships can turn o90 faster then cruisers or DDs.consider making sure you are in an angle that requires the target to turn to either side giving your team his broadside and this is also a time when you keep spotting contact for your team.
  • Pay attention to when you get floods and fire and when they damicon. Call out when they do so the rest of your team can relight them for permanent fires. 

CA

Main role. AA support for bb, torp runs, cap control, radar, geography control, fire starting, Help maintain the BB adv.

• AA support, Not in today's meta... BBs and some DDs (not the torp DDs) shot more planes then cruisers... Use your AA for your self defense... it seems like a stupid thing however, if you protect your BB from being just punished you allow for your heavy hitters to do their jobs. 
  • torps are in most ALL cases defensive for the cruiser class. Never use torps as offensive option in cruisers... Defensive options means, your last ditch effort to sink or DMG a foe less then 5km away.  but not in all ships. the IJN have great toprs. Usually used as a kite away and make your pursuer hate life or have to turn and give you a better angle for AP
  • Cap control and geography control are accomplished in many different ways. I will highlight a few here. 
  1. Radar boats With RPF, can hunt down ANY DD on the board torp DD or gun DD. on either flanking island will keep dd's from getting into positions to torp your team from behind. (this is very bad for winning if it is allowed to happen)
  2. Mino/Smole and their smoke and silly rates of fire will also keep bb and cruiser pushes on the flanks. Careful with this idea, it only takes 6 shells to sink a cruiser at high tiers.. At this lvl, people can aim well even in smoke. As they can Smoke and repel many pushes. (DD spotting is how this is effective)

BB

Main role. Kill other bb's cruisers, try not to eat avoid torps from dd's. CAP, Assist in capping, Maintaining the BB adv.  

• Not all BB play if bow in and tank. All of the different lines have different skill sets. The American line of course has some of the best AP except certain ships... The Colorado is not one with good AP. in the game and can tank copious amounts of damage. Decent  GREAT AA in fact, BBs have better AA then cruisers, however they are not very fast or maneuverable.
  • They French line is very fast and has a stupid fast reload. They are very good at flanking. GK is bad in close quarters, good mid range (8km to 12km) very bad long range/Kremlin is best described RU BB biased. are your in close brawlers. Yammy is no longer the king of BBs or of long range alpha DMG dealer, in today's meta.. ANY high tier BB can delete a ship from a cap away. can sit at distance and send 18" of love accurately. However yammy has great torp protection but Her armor is sub par compared to the other BBs in her tier. burns really easy. 
  • When a BB is bow in HE is your friend. Also if they BB is kiting away is also a good HE kinda moment. AP is the shell ordnance of choice for must high tier BBs VS cruisers... It doesn't matter if its bow on tailing or broadsides..If it hits a cruiser it will Pen. broad side love. Take a moment and check out in the game under the armor scheme where best to shoot each BB in the game. 
  • Also BB's are not DD's in high tier domination mode. I get sick of BBs treating caps like its infected with corona. In today's meta, you're task with capping or helping cruiser cap in high tier games. Failure to do so will result in a loss on pts..  Make sure, you dont go by your self to a cap. You need cruiser support.If you charge a cap early you will 100% die. I have watched this happen in my last 4 games. Some GK or BB thinks I got this! Hint..you don't.

CV 

• Spotting much like a DD however they are a limited time spotter. In the beginning most cv players will make a run around the map to show the formation of the red team. Often times if the cv player will not just race away from the boats as they are moving into initial positions the BB's on your team can cause a larges amount of damage in the very beginning of the game. So when you are rolling around the map at first and you spot a cruiser (stali) mid turn and broadside to your team hang out for 1 minutes or so they way your BB's can swing over and punish the offending boat. I can't tell you how many times if my cv had hung out 30 seconds or 15 more i would have been able to just smash a broadside cruiser. 

I hope this helps out. I am of course in no way scratching the surface of each individual lines idiosyncrasy. Do some online research about the main "gimmick" of each line. and I hope you have a great battle.

Meann out!

^^^^^FiFY Meann.

would you mind settling this @Destroyer_KuroshioKai @DolphinPrincess my original post below and the criticism of @Navalpride33

DD

• Spotting. Seems pretty strait forward except that often times dd's will hide behind an island and allow for low health boats to escape and come back later mostly full. If you are spotting a ship hold the position long enough for your team to finish them off. Then continue on to torp or cap.
  • Capping is a requirement of Randoms. However rushing into the cap in the first 3 minutes will usually net you dead. So instead of rushing in, move within 4km of the cap to wait for the other dd to rush in and allow for your team to focus them down and repel the rest of the team and usually will net you an easy cap as the first dd will die the second one will get the cap. 
  • Torp runs and herding. Top tip when using a dd with 3 sets of torps. Hold 1 set until the first 2 are spotted then send the 3rd at the turned path. Herding is about making campers move. how often do you see a radar boat sucked up to an island and they can control a cap just by their presence. Sending torps at them will force them to move or eat torps. either way you can made them no longer stationary. when you are open water torping consider making sure you are in an angle that requires the target to turn to either side giving your team his broadside and this is also a time when you keep spotting contact for your team.

CA

BB

• Not all BB play if bow in and tank. All of the different lines have different skill sets. The American line of course has some of the best AP in the game and can tank copious amounts of damage. Decent AA, however they are not very fast or maneuverable. They French line is very fast and has a stupid fast reload. They are very good at flanking. GK/Kremlin are your in close brawlers. Yammy can sit at distance and send 18" of love accurately. However yammy has great torp protection but burns really easy. 

CV 

Meann out!

Edited by MEANN

[NGA]
Members
128 posts
7,267 battles
7 hours ago, MEANN said:

DD

• Spotting. Seems pretty strait forward except that often times dd's will hide behind an island and allow for low health boats to escape and come back later mostly full. If you are spotting a ship hold the position long enough for your team to finish them off. Then continue on to torp or cap.
  • Capping is a requirement of Randoms. However rushing into the cap in the first 3 minutes will usually net you dead. So instead of rushing in, move within 4km of the cap to wait for the other dd to rush in and allow for your team to focus them down and repel the rest of the team and usually will net you an easy cap as the first dd will die the second one will get the cap. 
  • Torp runs and herding. Top tip when using a dd with 3 sets of torps. Hold 1 set until the first 2 are spotted then send the 3rd at the turned path. Herding is about making campers move. how often do you see a radar boat sucked up to an island and they can control a cap just by their presence. Sending torps at them will force them to move or eat torps. either way you can made them no longer stationary. when you are open water torping consider making sure you are in an angle that requires the target to turn to either side giving your team his broadside and this is also a time when you keep spotting contact for your team.

CA

BB

• Not all BB play if bow in and tank. All of the different lines have different skill sets. The American line of course has some of the best AP in the game and can tank copious amounts of damage. Decent AA, however they are not very fast or maneuverable. They French line is very fast and has a stupid fast reload. They are very good at flanking. GK/Kremlin are your in close brawlers. Yammy can sit at distance and send 18" of love accurately. However yammy has great torp protection but burns really easy. 

CV 

Meann out!

I agree, this is good advice. Maybe having 2 CVs means extra caution by the DDs, When I see CVs as a DD player I tend to hang back a little bit more and rely on the CA’s to discourage their rocket equipped aircraft (I can dodge the rest).  I would add that the CAs should make sure they are close enough to support the DD capping. If they hang too far back they can’t give AA support and the DD gets killed by CV strikes. If there are no CVs the CA still needs to stay close enough to accurately hit the red team DDs and give cover if the friendly DD has to run. I’ve seen too many CAs stay to far back to give timely and effective support for the cap.