You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
daddywoofdawg

Is there a difference between capts?

10 comments in this topic

Members
8 posts
1,348 battles

Is there a difference between capts? say all the USA captains is there any difference or is it all about the training. should I take all the BB capts and add their skills to one BB capt? (if you can)

Members
2,773 posts
36,481 battles
5 minutes ago, daddywoofdawg said:

Is there a difference between capts? say all the USA captains is there any difference or is it all about the training. should I take all the BB capts and add their skills to one BB capt? (if you can)

If you are referring to a generic captain, then you can train each to specialize to a ship type.

If you are talking about the special ones you can get from campaigns or armory, then some of those might have special skills and or enhancements.

No you can't combine the skills points and dump on one captain.

You can only reset the skill points a captain has earned and were applied to skills.

Then you reconfigure that captain if you had them on a DD and move them over to say a cruiser.

Most players put their best captain on the ship they are most successful.

Then once that captain reaches 19 points, then they earn elite captain XP points that can be applied to other captains.

As you make more 19 point captains, this increases the points acquired exponentially and you are building a roster of captains spread out over many ships.

This is all based on your play style and if you want to specialize in a type or sail all the ships.

As a new player, you have the flexibility to explore what works for you.

Good luck 👍

<O

• Cool 1

Members
1,674 posts
12,330 battles
1 hour ago, daddywoofdawg said:

I have a colorado and was wondering about the capt. what would be some good skills for this ship?

image.thumb.png.738c49e998cda5e93576601289cb23fa.png

This just my opinion. This is order of skill I would suggest for you american BB kapatane

Of course depend on boat and country, these skill would change.

If use German Tirpitz or Bismark, maybe you take Basic Fire Training and Advance Fire Training and maybe Demolition expert

Edited by LadyAnesjka

[INTEL]
[INTEL]
Members
7,641 posts
34,837 battles

That is not a good BB captain build.

A basic BB captain build should post the first 10 points as follows:

PT-EM-SI-CE

The rest are up to you but generally you would like to do a tanking build (exceptions are build for secondaries, but very few ships are recommended)

A full 19 points tanking build:

BBCaptainBuild.thumb.jpg.7ef049a20cd0f15c4c6b101ac888339f.jpg

• Boring 1

[PVE]
Members
1,027 posts
8,520 battles
1 hour ago, alexf24 said:

A full 19 points tanking build:

BBCaptainBuild.thumb.jpg.7ef049a20cd0f15c4c6b101ac888339f.jpg

This is a good build for Colorado and most BBs in fact.

[O_O]
Members
6,425 posts
15,262 battles
7 hours ago, daddywoofdawg said:

MOST captains are the same, it just depends on how you train them.  I say 'most', because there are special captains you can earn or buy that have buffs to some of their skills.  In the image below, you see the captain on the right named "Yamamoto Isoroku"?  On the bottom right of his panel, you can see a yellow and red ribbon that the rest of the listed captains do not have.  That indicates a captain with a buffed skill, or a 'special' captain.

7fmCR1E.jpg

Figuring out captains (aka 'commander') can be complicated, as there are a few tips and tricks to help you maximize how to get the most out of them.  I'll give you a rundown below.  To start and address what you stated, however, you cannot add multiple captains' skills to one captain.  Once a captain has those skill points, they stay with him.  You CAN, however, change what  skills you selected with those points, either during free captain reset events, or anytime with doubloons.

• What skills you pick for your captain will mostly depend on what type of ship you are going to use him for.  Some skills are more suited for destroyers, some for battleships, etc.  If you already have a captain trained on a ship type, some skills would have little to no effect for a captain on that ship type.  WG helps you out by covering those skills with a slashed circle (see pic above).  You can still choose them, even if they are slashed, however.
  • Assigning a captain to a ship - when you assign a new captain to a tech tree ship, he will have to begin and complete training for that ship before he has full access to all of his skills.  I'll cover re-training in more detail below.  What I recommend you do is use one captain as you progress up the tech tree.  If you start with the Russian T1 cruiser Orlan, I would move that captain to the T2 cruiser Novik once you research it and buy it (when I buy it, I would select "without a commander" from the drop down box).  Then, from the commander screen on Orlan you can choose to assign the commander to Novik, or from the commander screen on Novik you can choose to assign a commander from other ships and pick your Orlan commander.  By using the same commander, you will be increasing his skill points as you progress to higher tier ships.  If you want to keep a lower tier ship, I recommend recruiting a new commander for it and moving the experienced commander up to the next ship.
  • Commander re-training - when a commander is assigned to a new tech tree ship, retraining will be required before the commander has full use of all earned skills.  Assign the captain to the new ship, then click "begin retraining".  Select the option for retraining for free, or paying 200,000 silver to reduce the retraining by 50%, or paying doubloons to immediately finish retraining.  Once retraining for that ship has begun, the commander is no longer trained for any tech tree ships he used to be on.  A commander can only be trained for ONE tech tree ship at a time.
  • The premium/special ship exception - If you have Russian premium ships, you can move any Russian tech tree commander (let's continue to use Novik as our example) to any Russian premium/special ship without having to retrain him for the premium ship.  Premium ships do not require their captain to be specialized for them.  Once moved to the premium ship, the commander is still specialized for Novik, so you can move him back to Novik whenever you are ready.  This becomes a real advantage when you just buy Novik, reassign your Orlan captain to Novik and begin retraining.  Immediately after beginning retraining, you can move the new Novik commander to any Russian premium ship and play that ship with full use of the commander's skills, even though he is in retraining.  Move him to premium ship Murmansk, Leningrad, Kronshtadt... any of them...back and forth...no retraining required.  AND, the commander XP you earn while playing that premium ship WILL COUNT toward retraining for Novik!  Once retraining is complete, move your fully retrained Novik captain back to Novik without ever having played a retraining game with gimped commander skills. 
  • Don't keep permanent commanders on your premium/special ships - Notice in the picture above, my premium/special ships do not have commanders assigned to them.  If they come with one, I send them to the reserve (or dismiss them, if they are too low on points to be valuable to me).  I pick a tech tree ship commander just about every time I play a premium ship in order to speed up that commander's advancement.  There are only a few premium ships that require commander skills that do not align with the commanders from the rest of the line (e.g. Belfast, and the Italian premium cruisers).  In those uncommon cases, I do keep a commander specifically for that premium ship.
  • Elite Commander XP is shown on the left side of the screen on my pic above.  Elite Commander XP is earned by playing maxed out 19 point commanders, or by playing special event captains (Halloween events, April Fools events, etc).  Elite Commander XP can be used for ANY commander.  You can use Elite Commander XP to immediately finish retraining when you move a commander from one tech tree ship to another, or you can use it to add to a commander's skill points.

There is a quick rundown.  I am sure I have left out a few things.  Feel free to message me or reply here if you have more questions!  :Smile_honoring:

Edited by desmo_2
  • Cool 4

[WOLFC]
Members
2,861 posts
5 hours ago, daddywoofdawg said:

Is there a difference ...

@SteelRain_Rifleman answered your basic questions ... but Commanders have a lot of mechanics that many players probably aren't fully aware of ... and are too numerous to expand on here.  If you really want to understand more about how they work ... and can benefit you ... I'd suggest reading a couple of Wiki articles.  And then ask more questions.  Good luck and welcome to the Forums! :Smile_honoring:

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Commander

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Unique_Commanders

.... and an outstanding overview by @desmo_2 as I was posting ... :cap_cool:

Edited by DocWalker

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
3,562 posts
11,136 battles
56 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

MOST captains are the same, it just depends on how you train them.  I say 'most', because there are special captains you can earn or buy that have buffs to some of their skills.  In the image below, you see the captain on the right named "Yamamoto Isoroku"?  On the bottom right of his panel, you can see a yellow and red ribbon that the rest of the listed captains do not have.  That indicates a captain with a buffed skill, or a 'special' captain.

7fmCR1E.jpg

Figuring out captains (aka 'commander') can be complicated, as there are a few tips and tricks to help you maximize how to get the most out of them.  I'll give you a rundown below.  To start and address what you stated, however, you cannot add multiple captains' skills to one captain.  Once a captain has those skill points, they stay with him.  You CAN, however, change what  skills you selected with those points, either during free captain reset events, or anytime with doubloons.

• What skills you pick for your captain will mostly depend on what type of ship you are going to use him for.  Some skills are more suited for destroyers, some for battleships, etc.  If you already have a captain trained on a ship type, some skills would have little to no effect for a captain on that ship type.  WG helps you out by covering those skills with a slashed circle (see pic above).  You can still choose them, even if they are slashed, however.
  • Assigning a captain to a ship - when you assign a new captain to a tech tree ship, he will have to begin and complete training for that ship before he has full access to all of his skills.  I'll cover re-training in more detail below.  What I recommend you do is use one captain as you progress up the tech tree.  If you start with the Russian T1 cruiser Orlan, I would move that captain to the T2 cruiser Novik once you research it and buy it (when I buy it, I would select "without a commander" from the drop down box).  Then, from the commander screen on Orlan you can choose to assign the commander to Novik, or from the commander screen on Novik you can choose to assign a commander from other ships and pick your Orlan commander.  By using the same commander, you will be increasing his skill points as you progress to higher tier ships.  If you want to keep a lower tier ship, I recommend recruiting a new commander for it and moving the experienced commander up to the next ship.
  • Commander re-training - when a commander is assigned to a new tech tree ship, retraining will be required before the commander has full use of all earned skills.  Assign the captain to the new ship, then click "begin retraining".  Select the option for retraining for free, or paying 200,000 silver to reduce the retraining by 50%, or paying doubloons to immediately finish retraining.  Once retraining for that ship has begun, the commander is no longer trained for any tech tree ships he used to be on.  A commander can only be trained for ONE tech tree ship at a time.
  • The premium/special ship exception - If you have Russian premium ships, you can move any Russian tech tree commander (let's continue to use Novik as our example) to any Russian premium/special ship without having to retrain him for the premium ship.  Premium ships do not require their captain to be specialized for them.  Once moved to the premium ship, the commander is still specialized for Novik, so you can move him back to Novik whenever you are ready.  This becomes a real advantage when you just buy Novik, reassign your Orlan captain to Novik and begin retraining.  Immediately after beginning retraining, you can move the new Novik commander to any Russian premium ship and play that ship with full use of the commander's skills, even though he is in retraining.  Move him to premium ship Murmansk, Leningrad, Kronshtadt... any of them...back and forth...no retraining required.  AND, the commander XP you earn while playing that premium ship WILL COUNT toward retraining for Novik!  Once retraining is complete, move your fully retrained Novik captain back to Novik without ever having played a retraining game with gimped commander skills.
  • Elite Commander XP is shown on the left side of the screen on my pic above.  Elite Commander XP is earned by playing maxed out 19 point commanders, or by playing special event captains (Halloween events, April Fools events, etc).  Elite Commander XP can be used for ANY commander.  You can use Elite Commander XP to immediately finish retraining when you move a commander from one tech tree ship to another, or you can use it to add to a commander's skill points.

There is a quick rundown.  I am sure I have left out a few things.  Feel free to message me or reply here if you have more questions!  :Smile_honoring:

Nice write up +1