You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
DocWalker

High Alert or Jack of All Trades ?

12 comments in this topic

[WOLFC]
Members
2,874 posts
16,285 battles

I'm curious, what do you find more beneficial in an overall sense?

• 5% reduction in loading of all consumables, or
  • 10% reduction in loading of the damage control party ?

Obviously with a captain dedicated to a single ship, like a CL with multiple consumables, JoaT may be preferable, vs HA for a BB ... but this is NOT about a specific case.

In fact, I've never used either skill very much, but it would seem that survival (High Alert) might provide an edge ... can't use those consumables if you can't get repaired.

So, do you have a general preference?

Members
4,352 posts
11,269 battles

I tend to use JoaT more often on ships since it buffs cool down for DCP and things like radar or heal, but for my shared Moskva/Stalingrad captain I run high alert since I have a captain with improved HA. Between normal versions, both are somewhat similar in terms of effect but I tend to prefer faster cooldown on heal/radar/hydro (especially heal) over a slightly faster reload on DCP. Of course if you have a captain with an improved version of one of the skills it may be better to take that one. 

[WORX]
Members
10,635 posts
18,550 battles

I go with %10 reduction of DCP on must of my builds.

I hit the panic button on some situations. :etc_red_button:

Members
2,858 posts
36,666 battles

As a rule, I use Jack for DDs with consumables that can be used quickly and effectively like reload booster, smoke, etc.

Some cruisers fall under that category.

High alert in the past would be used on squishy cruisers, BBs, and any ship with a penchant for igniting with a stray spark.

I suspect some BBs are using this and other survival based skills due to the HE spam meta.

But as you play with more experience, you relegate this skill in favor of more skills with interesting impact for your game.

So as a new player, you use these, but over time you eventually don't need them.

Over time you will know which ships in your fleet still need them based on your playing style.

Good luck 👍<o

[TBW]
Members
10,287 posts
17,483 battles
1 hour ago, DocWalker said:

Obviously with a captain dedicated to a single ship, like a CL with multiple consumables, JoaT may be preferable, vs HA for a BB ... but this is NOT about a specific case.

In fact, I've never used either skill very much, but it would seem that survival (High Alert) might provide an edge ... can't use those consumables if you can't get repaired.

Both of them in the case of DDs, along with November Foxtrot for an additional 5%. The fast cooldown makes it so I don't have to take last stand. It tends to change when the captains get above 14 points and I need (can get) more 4 point skills.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,214 posts
9,362 battles
1 hour ago, DocWalker said:

There are normally better skills to take.

But if you insist, then generally HA for BBs, JoAT for anything else.

[WOLFC]
Members
2,874 posts
16,285 battles
8 minutes ago, vak_ said:

There are normally better skills to take.

But if you insist, then generally HA for BBs, JoAT for anything else.

I understand ... I didn't want to make this about any particular case, but I do have a 19 point captain that I share between NC and Alaska ... and sometimes Salem.

So I have built a hybrid captain for now ... maybe that'll change in the future;  just deciding on the last 2 points ... and wanted some unbiased input.

Thanks everyone for your comments so far ... I really appreciate them.

2pt.jpg

[WPORT]
Members
5,462 posts
10,515 battles
2 hours ago, DocWalker said:

Both are "luxury" skills, that get learned after other skills are acquired.

The more consumables a ship has, the more that Jack of all Trades makes sense.

Members
75 posts
8,460 battles

Preventative Maintenance and High Alert match up pretty nicely, which works well with BB’s and some heavy cruisers/battle cruisers.  Some CC’s, like Notser, prefer that combo instead of BoS.  That way you could assign another 3-point skill like BFT or Vigilance.

• Cool 1

[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,214 posts
9,362 battles
47 minutes ago, DocWalker said:

19 point captain that I share between NC and Alaska ... and sometimes Salem

If that's the case, JoAT is better than HA.

[SYN]
Members
8,236 posts
13,957 battles

I use HA when I need more survivability but my build doesn't have the points for FP or BoS.

JoaT I use in a few ships but it's about the cooldown of other consumables, not my DCP. Ships with creeping smoke for instance.