Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Shoggoth_pinup

I think I figured out what GZ and Indomitable have that others don't.

7 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

976
[KAPPA]
Members
3,110 posts
8,239 battles

While, yes, it's speed, as I'm sure many of you expected, it's how you can leverage that speed. You see, the faster you go, the easier it is to get from place to place.

And what place needs a timely arrival more than defending your allies? One can thus get there significantly faster than others might, allowing one's bubble of protection to be bigger as well. There's a case for Indomitable to be better at this, and there's also a case for GZ.

You see, Indomitable has 4 fighters per plane set. GZ has 3. This means Indomitable has an advantage, if only due to 3 charges being on GZ's slower rocket planes.

However, at the same time, GZ has an advantage as well. Because her speed is on everything but her rockets, she has a super long boost time on ultra fast planes. This means she will be able to leverage that speed for longer.

That said, I'm no expert, as I've barely used GZ outside of co-op and don't own Indomitable, so I was wondering what those that call either their favorite think. Enterprise obviously also has a case for best fighter use, but she's more reactive than active.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
885
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,042 posts
12,725 battles
5 hours ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

While, yes, it's speed, as I'm sure many of you expected, it's how you can leverage that speed. You see, the faster you go, the easier it is to get from place to place.

And what place needs a timely arrival more than defending your allies? One can thus get there significantly faster than others might, allowing one's bubble of protection to be bigger as well. There's a case for Indomitable to be better at this, and there's also a case for GZ.

You see, Indomitable has 4 fighters per plane set. GZ has 3. This means Indomitable has an advantage, if only due to 3 charges being on GZ's slower rocket planes.

However, at the same time, GZ has an advantage as well. Because her speed is on everything but her rockets, she has a super long boost time on ultra fast planes. This means she will be able to leverage that speed for longer.

That said, I'm no expert, as I've barely used GZ outside of co-op and don't own Indomitable, so I was wondering what those that call either their favorite think. Enterprise obviously also has a case for best fighter use, but she's more reactive than active.

Speed for giving you better coverage,  and speed makes your aircraft more durable by reducing their exposure time to AA. So GZ's torpedo planes aren't as fragile as they appear.  Of course,  Indomitable gets both speed and durability on one package.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
627
[POP]
Members
1,084 posts
9,377 battles

The speed is definitely a strength however it is still not worth going out of your way to drop fighters.  Most CV'S will still get an Ordinance drop off even with the fighter consumable in place.

The speed is best used for getting damage to the right targets at the right time.  With the indomitable this is even more important due to it's over reliance on dot damage.  As soon as a ship uses damage control you need to be on it setting it on fire again.  When you force a ship to use DCP you need to call it out in chat so others can focus it.  The only difference between a 50k game and a 150k game in that cv is shooting the right targets at the right times.

As for the GZ, I am still learning her quirks however I follow Top Tier and he loves the GZ.  He says the plane speed allows him to hit just about any target he wants.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
976
[KAPPA]
Members
3,110 posts
8,239 battles
14 hours ago, HallaSnackbar said:

The speed is definitely a strength however it is still not worth going out of your way to drop fighters.  Most CV'S will still get an Ordinance drop off even with the fighter consumable in place.

The speed is best used for getting damage to the right targets at the right time.  With the indomitable this is even more important due to it's over reliance on dot damage.  As soon as a ship uses damage control you need to be on it setting it on fire again.  When you force a ship to use DCP you need to call it out in chat so others can focus it.  The only difference between a 50k game and a 150k game in that cv is shooting the right targets at the right times.

As for the GZ, I am still learning her quirks however I follow Top Tier and he loves the GZ.  He says the plane speed allows him to hit just about any target he wants.

Ohh, I'm aware. I'm just trying to figure out what it is that makes people like Indomitable, honestly, along with what WG's vision was for her. GZ just ended up joining in as well due to filling what little niche she has as well.

She just seems like a CV that can be summed up as "anything you can do, I can do better" but with her as the you. Her fire chance isn't high enough to almost guarantee fires like at T10 (and is in fact lower per strike than Implacable if memory serves), and her low strike count per squad makes that seem even worse in my mind, as you need to have 2 strikes in a row start a fire to get anywhere, or hope they don't dam con due to only starting 1 or dam con being on cooldown.

Basically, she's the last CV I don't/didn't have, and I'm trying desperately to figure out why I would want her when I have everything but Saipan, and even used to have Saipan at the start of the rework but ended up returning her. I just can't figure out what her niche is to be worth being a premium. Having one less squad type really doesn't feel like a niche, as that's like saying a ship's niche is having a detriment, like with Viribus Unitis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
627
[POP]
Members
1,084 posts
9,377 battles
3 hours ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

Ohh, I'm aware. I'm just trying to figure out what it is that makes people like Indomitable, honestly, along with what WG's vision was for her. GZ just ended up joining in as well due to filling what little niche she has as well.

She just seems like a CV that can be summed up as "anything you can do, I can do better" but with her as the you. Her fire chance isn't high enough to almost guarantee fires like at T10 (and is in fact lower per strike than Implacable if memory serves), and her low strike count per squad makes that seem even worse in my mind, as you need to have 2 strikes in a row start a fire to get anywhere, or hope they don't dam con due to only starting 1 or dam con being on cooldown.

Basically, she's the last CV I don't/didn't have, and I'm trying desperately to figure out why I would want her when I have everything but Saipan, and even used to have Saipan at the start of the rework but ended up returning her. I just can't figure out what her niche is to be worth being a premium. Having one less squad type really doesn't feel like a niche, as that's like saying a ship's niche is having a detriment, like with Viribus Unitis.

Different ships for different people.  I would say the fire chance seems pretty good in practice.   I regularly get about 13 fires per match.  Usually if I make a good drop and don't get a fire it is because they are either saturated already or they just used dcp and are immune.   The thing I like about her is the ease of use.  She is a very low stress ship due to the mechanics of her gameplay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
976
[KAPPA]
Members
3,110 posts
8,239 battles
21 minutes ago, HallaSnackbar said:

Different ships for different people.  I would say the fire chance seems pretty good in practice.   I regularly get about 13 fires per match.  Usually if I make a good drop and don't get a fire it is because they are either saturated already or they just used dcp and are immune.   The thing I like about her is the ease of use.  She is a very low stress ship due to the mechanics of her gameplay.

I dunno, I find it hard to believe a ship with such teensy reserves not only on number but percentage would have low stress among its perks. Just seems like you'd be worried that when you're attacking into heavy AA it will hamper you far too much when nothing gets home, and that only having so few disposable planes per squad to allow you to strike a target wouldn't be enough for long. For instance, she has, what, 8-10 bombers at the start of the match? Even losing 1 would be pretty heavy, let alone 2, especially with what I hear of those 8-10 bombers being more or less the workhorse.

Part of why I call Kaga a relaxing experience, if only to play as. I didn't want her at first, as she's a bit oppressive to face due to being able to chuck planes at an AA blender recklessly, but I got her for free from a contest. She has 3 squads in her hangar for each of her planes (double that of your average CV) adding up to 9 squads on standby at the start of a match. Then you have indomitable's 2 squads each, adding up to 4, and others' 1.5 each, adding up to 4.5. Just seems like you'd be so afraid of fighters and strong AA you'd never be able to attack the targets you need to when they aren't optimal. Which was the reason I sold Saipan in the first place, as her planes are just so uncomfortably few in number that even the short duration of co-op matches was painful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
627
[POP]
Members
1,084 posts
9,377 battles
2 hours ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

I dunno, I find it hard to believe a ship with such teensy reserves not only on number but percentage would have low stress among its perks. Just seems like you'd be worried that when you're attacking into heavy AA it will hamper you far too much when nothing gets home, and that only having so few disposable planes per squad to allow you to strike a target wouldn't be enough for long. For instance, she has, what, 8-10 bombers at the start of the match? Even losing 1 would be pretty heavy, let alone 2, especially with what I hear of those 8-10 bombers being more or less the workhorse.

Part of why I call Kaga a relaxing experience, if only to play as. I didn't want her at first, as she's a bit oppressive to face due to being able to chuck planes at an AA blender recklessly, but I got her for free from a contest. She has 3 squads in her hangar for each of her planes (double that of your average CV) adding up to 9 squads on standby at the start of a match. Then you have indomitable's 2 squads each, adding up to 4, and others' 1.5 each, adding up to 4.5. Just seems like you'd be so afraid of fighters and strong AA you'd never be able to attack the targets you need to when they aren't optimal. Which was the reason I sold Saipan in the first place, as her planes are just so uncomfortably few in number that even the short duration of co-op matches was painful.

Well my favorite CV is Saipan so I am used to managing small plane reserves.   The trick is you simply do not attack ships that are stacked up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×