Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Capt_Nautilus

Can planes taking off please be more realistic???

16 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Members
187 posts
256 battles

Yes, I definitely know that wows is not the most realistic game, and certainly not the most historically accurate, but can the catapult spotter/fighter or CV plane animations be just a little bit more realistic please? Honestly, the plane leaving the ship (BB or CV, sometimes CA) is good enough, but the plane going straight into the side or back of the ship and teleporting onto the catapult or runway is just ridiculous. I mean, the crane is never used and is just there for aesthetics. All I'm asking for is the plane to land in the water (or on the deck for CVs) and quickly be picked up by the ship's crane, nothing over the top, right? I'm fairly sure this is entirely possible. Also, while on the subject, some planes are supposed to come out of a sort of "hanger" on the ship (I know this is the case with the tier 4 Italian cruiser alberto di giussano) and then be catapulted off. It'd be nice if there was an animation for this too. While there are definitely bigger problems, this seems like a pretty reasonable request, I hope WG can eventually fix this issue.

 

Thanks!

  • Cool 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
303
[PROJX]
Beta Testers
723 posts
4,640 battles

I'm pretty sure that CV planes do land on the deck and I don't believe that floatplanes can be recovered when a ship is moving

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
187 posts
256 battles
Just now, PotatoMD said:

I'm pretty sure that CV planes do land on the deck and I don't believe that floatplanes can be recovered when a ship is moving

Really? The last time I checked they just teleport on but you might be right. Also, I know floatplanes can't be recovered when a ship is moving but we can change that for the sake of gameplay, right? :Smile_sceptic:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,632
[SIDE]
Members
4,653 posts

Given the number of other, more serious and widespread issues that affect much more important aspects of the game for many more players, I certainly hope this airplane-take-off-realism issue gets fixed but maybe not right away.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,480
[WOLF8]
Members
7,339 posts
6,234 battles

Some catapult planes even "bump" into the superstructure of the ship, as they take off, and they sort of look like staggering as they are launching into the air... and it looks very comical, lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
6,110 posts
7,416 battles

I'd rather WG had used both catapults on ships that had more than one. Staggering 3+ fighters between two catapults would look much better than the current animation and could be just a quick (which I think was a reason given for the janky looking animation when they switched from one single float fighter to a group) in getting the "squadron" in the air.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,890
[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
14,071 posts
19,197 battles
49 minutes ago, Capt_Nautilus said:

the plane going straight into the side or back of the ship and teleporting onto the catapult or runway is just ridiculous. I mean, the crane is never used and is just there for aesthetics.

This is not "PLANES TAKING OFF", (which, by the way, is called LAUNCHING AIRCRAFT, not PLANES TAKING OFF), it is referred to as AIRCRAFT RECOVERY. Just saying.

52 minutes ago, Capt_Nautilus said:

I hope WG can eventually fix this issue.

Of all the many, many, MANY issues this game has, THIS is the one you think is important enough to post about? Really!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
187 posts
256 battles
17 minutes ago, FullMetal_Inferno said:

And I'm here still championing for landing gear animations :Smile_great:

A valid and good point.

14 minutes ago, Blorgh2017 said:

Some catapult planes even "bump" into the superstructure of the ship, as they take off, and they sort of look like staggering as they are launching into the air... and it looks very comical, lol.

Also, a valid and good point.

2 minutes ago, GhostSwordsman said:

I'd rather WG had used both catapults on ships that had more than one. Staggering 3+ fighters between two catapults would look much better than the current animation and could be just a quick (which I think was a reason given for the janky looking animation when they switched from one single float fighter to a group) in getting the "squadron" in the air.

Another valid and good point.

 

These are all good ideas that should also be implemented.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
187 posts
256 battles
1 minute ago, Umikami said:

This is not "PLANES TAKING OFF", (which, by the way, is called LAUNCHING AIRCRAFT, not PLANES TAKING OFF), it is referred to as AIRCRAFT RECOVERY. Just saying.

Of all the many, many, MANY issues this game has, THIS is the one you think is important enough to post about? Really!

Geez, just chill. You don't need to freak out!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,890
[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
14,071 posts
19,197 battles
Just now, Capt_Nautilus said:

Geez, just chill. You don't need to freak out!

I'm not the one posting my OCD issues on spotting aircraft, so I'm pretty sure my chill factor is good enough to keep the drinks cold. Have a really nice day!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
884
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,030 posts
12,710 battles

Well, CV planes in game launch from the same point on the forward light deck, and land the same way at a single point on the aft flight deck. Animating proper aircraft deck handling might look cool, but I can't imagine the lag. 

Some ships have catapult animations, and before we launched small squadrons they actually launched fairly realistically. They still launch spotter aircraft correctly. Some ships have no plane or catapult animations, ships with catapults on top of turrets being a prime example. Floatplanes land like carrier planes back on the catapult, through any ships structure that's in the way.

Now, in real life, it was possible to land and recover a floatplane while underway. This involved the ship towing a special net either from a crane or a boom so that it was dragged nearly flat along the surface of the water. The float plane would run itself up on this net after landing, and snag the net using a hook under the front of the float. The ship would drag the floatplane along like this, and could hook a crane to the aircraft and haul it aboard just as if the ship was sitting still.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObsHmDgvMak

Edited by SgtBeltfed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
187 posts
256 battles
9 minutes ago, SgtBeltfed said:

Well, CV planes in game launch from the same point on the forward light deck, and land the same way at a single point on the aft flight deck. Animating proper aircraft deck handling might look cool, but I can't imagine the lag. 

I'm not asking for a full cinematic simulation here, just something better than what we have. Would it really cause that much lag?

10 minutes ago, SgtBeltfed said:

Some ships have catapult animations, and before we launched small squadrons they actually launched fairly realistically. They still launch spotter aircraft correctly. Some ships have no plane or catapult animations, ships with catapults on top of turrets being a prime example. Floatplanes land like carrier planes back on the catapult, through any ships structure that's in the way.

You said it better than I did.

11 minutes ago, SgtBeltfed said:

Well, CV planes in game launch from the same point on the forward light deck, and land the same way at a single point on the aft flight deck. Animating proper aircraft deck Now, in real life, it was possible to land and recover a floatplane while underway. This involved the ship towing a special net either from a crane or a boom so that it was dragged nearly flat along the surface of the water. The float plane would run itself up on this net after landing, and snag the net using a hook under the front of the float. The ship would drag the floatplane along like this, and could hook a crane to the aircraft and haul it aboard just as if the ship was sitting still.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObsHmDgvMak

That's really cool! I never knew that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,763 posts
93 battles
46 minutes ago, FullMetal_Inferno said:

And I'm here still championing for landing gear animations :Smile_great:

This.

It's pretty jarring to see landing gear still deployed, and suddenly disappear after launching

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
444
[A-D-F]
Members
1,160 posts
10,391 battles
1 hour ago, Capt_Nautilus said:

Yes, I definitely know that wows is not the most realistic game, and certainly not the most historically accurate, but can the catapult spotter/fighter or CV plane animations be just a little bit more realistic please? Honestly, the plane leaving the ship (BB or CV, sometimes CA) is good enough, but the plane going straight into the side or back of the ship and teleporting onto the catapult or runway is just ridiculous. I mean, the crane is never used and is just there for aesthetics. All I'm asking for is the plane to land in the water (or on the deck for CVs) and quickly be picked up by the ship's crane, nothing over the top, right? I'm fairly sure this is entirely possible. Also, while on the subject, some planes are supposed to come out of a sort of "hanger" on the ship (I know this is the case with the tier 4 Italian cruiser alberto di giussano) and then be catapulted off. It'd be nice if there was an animation for this too. While there are definitely bigger problems, this seems like a pretty reasonable request, I hope WG can eventually fix this issue.

 

Thanks!

Deck chairs on the Titanic, old bean. Deck chairs on the Titanic...

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,377 posts
6,787 battles

When I opt for the captains skill to have TWO fighters on my ship but I don't see them THAT disturbs me as well.   I see them when I launch them but I wanna SEE them ready on their launch pads....And that brings up another point....maybe the ship is required to STOP to retrieve the planes back to the ship so that the boom can winch them out of the water eh? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×