Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Sabot_100

If you only had 1 BB line, any reason not to do Russian?

18 comments in this topic

[CVA16]
Members
5,386 posts
16,187 battles

I was wondering which BB line I should do. My only current near full line is the French which I did because I got to start at mid tier and they had good reviews. I was thinking of doing another. I did wonder about actual, claimed and perceived "Russian bias" so started comparing stats for the BB lines with the Soviets as the benchmark. I ran comparisons for each nations tech tree lines vs the Russians for Damage, ships killed, survived, experience, W/R and K/D. The only category the Soviets are behind in is in survival (they actually beat the Germans here by a hair). The Brits pretty much tie them for damage, the French come close (within 5%). For the originals, US & IJN, its not even close in any of those categories. Average Rus W/R are 1.3-2.6% higher than any other nation. Brits come the closest. ALL Rus BBs have a better than 50% W/R.

That said, if a player was wondering what line to do, would there be any reason to recommend anything other than the Russian line? Seems there are no stinkers in that line.

[SPTR]
Members
2,304 posts
2,412 battles

If you like real ships that have stories and histories.

Edited by 7_3_PowerStroke
  • Cool 1
  • Funny 2
  • Boring 1

[WORX]
Members
10,631 posts
18,539 battles
7 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

which BB line I should do.

From tier 8 and above all of them... From tier 8 and above there is no difference in floor performance... We all know the RU BB take the ceiling performance.

No matter what BB you try, your skills will be inflated..

• Cool 2

[_RNG_]
Supertester
3,134 posts
5,001 battles

RU BBs have plenty of downsides. While I may think the DCP consumable with charges is a nice plus, it comes at a cost. A newer player blowing those charges is a death sentence. They also are forced in close due to their range and accuracy, and have very unforgiving broadsides. Another death trap for new players. 

I would follow your gut. Go with a nation you know has what you are looking for. Dont go Russia just because 'bias', go with them because you like what they have to offer.

Members
4,352 posts
11,259 battles

If it’s a new player, the limited charge DCP and (until you get to the completely balansed ship that is Kremlin) very unforgiving squishy citadel combined with the slower reload and sometimes trolly gun performance make them not as good for players learning the game compared to other lines. In the hands of decent experienced players, pretty much only the desire to play some other ship line instead, or a lack of interest in the playstyle they’re designed for.

Stats wise, one of the other reasons why the older lines (US/IJN/KM) have lower win rates, especially the two oldest, are because of the much higher number of battles and the fact that many players grinding through them are newer players and don’t necessarily have the skills that older players do. For most of the experienced/unicum players, since the US and IJN lines are the two oldest, they’re the most likely to have been played through when those players were less experienced, and are more popular line picks for newer players because of the fame of some of the ships (Iowa, Yamato, etc).

It’s really no different from a freemium ship like Smolensk (specifically chosen because of all the ‘Smolensk OP pls nerf’ threads since its release) - when it was in testing many of the CCs and testers playing it were good players (especially the WIP videos from players like Flamu and Flambass), and shortly after release most of the players that had it were good players that could take advantage of its strengths and mitigate its weaknesses, hence why it seemed to have average stats that were so high compared to other t10 cruisers. As more players of lower skill get it, enticed by the idea of an ‘OP’ ship, the average stats drop significantly, and eventually even out once a certain number of people get it and it begins to show up more and more in battles.

I’d definitely agree with the other posts here - don’t go for a nation or ship just because its ‘strong’ or ‘OP’ and expect to suddenly become a top player in your matches. Go with the line that offers things you like. If you want a ship that can push into the enemy’s face and not care about their return fire, go up the German line; if you want a ship that can sit toward the back of the map and laugh at ships that think you’re not a threat, get a Yamato; if you want a ship that is ‘easy’ to play and are annoyed by ships that angle against your AP, play Conq or Thunderer.

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,104 posts
4,084 battles
31 minutes ago, _BBaby said:

RU BBs have plenty of downsides. While I may think the DCP consumable with charges is a nice plus, it comes at a cost. A newer player blowing those charges is a death sentence. They also are forced in close due to their range and accuracy, and have very unforgiving broadsides. Another death trap for new players. 

I would follow your gut. Go with a nation you know has what you are looking for. Dont go Russia just because 'bias', go with them because you like what they have to offer.

While the broadside is definitely a downside, that's true for any BB not KMS or MN (and those two still get hit hard). The DCP is interesting, but it's not so much a downside as a difference.

The range thing is a lie. My experience is that the range doesn't matter, the RU BBs can still nuke you regularly. Close, medium, far, they're equally dangerous. And they're fast, stupidly well armored, great turret traverse, great guns, and good stealth. Why would you even play the Colorado right now?

Sinop on up are at least really strong, and calling them OP is justified IMO.

So to answer the OP's question, no, there is no good reason not to play RU BBs, they have almost no downsides.

[RTXN]
Banned
1,416 posts

There is really no reason why you shouldn't do any line, much less any BB line.  There are stinkers in every line dependant on player.

It all depends on the type of player/playstyle you have to what you will enjoy most.

[ALWC]
Members
1,180 posts
14,033 battles

I think the Montana is the overall best bb in the game. The UU makes a tank even tankier. The broadside is devastating, the accuracy mod is awesome, the AA is really good. It tanks as well as any bb. 

the kremlin is strong. Those guns are insane inside 15 km. Bow in it’s hard to damage. It’s stupid strong but Monty can stand off early and snipe to see how the game develops. Kremlin wants to get in close and for an inexperienced bb player that can be trouble.

if I only did one line it would be USN. Monty is probably the #1 clan battle bb, and is great in randoms or ranked. Kremlin was a great choice in cb with 2 bbs but only 1 I’ll take Montana 

Edited by wstugamd

[CVA16]
Members
5,386 posts
16,187 battles
1 hour ago, jmanII said:

There are stinkers in every line dependant on player.

By the stats, it does not look like the Russian line has any stinkers as opposed to say, the US line, which has nothing over 50% WR, damage is 23% less, they kill 34% fewer ships (avg 0.68 ships killed vs 0.91)  and will net you 19% less experience, so they are all relative stinkers.

Not quite ready to start a new BB line as I am trying to finish a couple of others first.

[CVA16]
Members
5,386 posts
16,187 battles
4 minutes ago, wstugamd said:

I think the Montana is the overall best bb in the game.

One would think but real (or nearly real) ships tend to suffer in the current meta to fantasy dream ships. It is lesser in every category save survival. WR is 4.27% less which is HUGE. Even the gold standard Yamato is distant shadow.

[RTXN]
Banned
1,416 posts
28 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

By the stats, it does not look like the Russian line has any stinkers as opposed to say, the US line, which has nothing over 50% WR, damage is 23% less, they kill 34% fewer ships (avg 0.68 ships killed vs 0.91)  and will net you 19% less experience, so they are all relative stinkers.

Not quite ready to start a new BB line as I am trying to finish a couple of others first.

Stats dont mean a heck of a lot to me.  If I am having fun in a ship, then bring on the socalled "subpar" stats.

[ALWC]
Members
1,180 posts
14,033 battles
3 hours ago, Sabot_100 said:

One would think but real (or nearly real) ships tend to suffer in the current meta to fantasy dream ships. It is lesser in every category save survival. WR is 4.27% less which is HUGE. Even the gold standard Yamato is distant shadow.

The question was if only one bb. Montana is more versatile than the Yamato or the Kremlin. Monty can play at range or in close. Armour is good. The skill ceiling is higher on Monty.

[CVA16]
Members
5,386 posts
16,187 battles
3 hours ago, jmanII said:

Stats dont mean a heck of a lot to me.  If I am having fun in a ship, then bring on the socalled "subpar" stats.

True, if you really want to brawl, you will probably go German.  In general, winning is more fun than losing. But if you don't like the playstyle, it can wear thin fast.

Edited by Sabot_100

[UN1]
Members
1,213 posts
3,644 battles

You definitely can't go wrong choosing the Russian BB line, but the other lines can be just as strong in the right hands.

• Japanese battleships are unbelievably good in the hands of a good marksman.
  • German battleships can be strong for players with very good map awareness and knowing when (and when not) to push.
  • French battleships are good for versatile players who like a little bit of everything.
  • British battleships are devastating for players with excellent sense of micro-decision making (like knowing when to use each shell type).
  • American battleships are strong for players with good positioning, map awareness, and general marksmanship.

Russian battleships just happen to have good traits where they count most, so they can be capitalized on easily by the majority of players.  That said, for good players they're just another tech tree battleship line, as every line has its strengths.

[AWOL]
Members
1 post
4,984 battles

French BB's are amazing. They take a bit to figure out but the Republique is an absolute beast, you are fast, have good survivability, and man are her guns sexy. 

[CVA16]
Members
5,386 posts
16,187 battles
On 2/16/2020 at 6:16 PM, ScarletLove said:

French BB's are amazing. They take a bit to figure out but the Republique is an absolute beast, you are fast, have good survivability, and man are her guns sexy. 

French BBs are the only full line I have at the moment. Generally like them except for the dispersion. So many "can't miss" salvos that result in nothing but geysers all around. I was hoping my next line would have better accuracy. The US line should have that but the lack of speed for most of the line (I have the Texas) is a huge factor. The Russians seem to bring more to the table than any of the others.

Members
163 posts
4,462 battles
On 2/18/2020 at 12:15 PM, Sabot_100 said:

... The US line should have that but the lack of speed for most of the line (I have the Texas) is a huge factor. The Russians seem to bring more to the table than any of the others.

The tier 8 North Carolina washes away the previous sins.  But the fact is, I like the tier 7 Colorado too. It is a monster once it gets to where is needs to be. :-D

I have played all the BBs up to tier 8 at least.  I like them all.  I play the British Monarch less, but if you use its insane concealment as a weapon, fun will be had. Surprise!!

Sign in to follow this