You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Sergeant_0ddball

Is there any point in going for the Pan-Asian DDs?

30 comments in this topic

[T-D-M]
[T-D-M]
Beta Testers
54 posts
4,587 battles

With the upcoming new module that will detect torps from 1.5KM (IIRC) away no matter what, and stacks with Vigilance, is there any point in going up the Pan-Asian DD line now? They are outclassed as gunboats, and now their biggest advantage, the stealthy deepwater torpedoes are getting a hard nerf. Honestly, I'm having a hard time seeing a reason to go up that line.

By "outclassed as gunboats", I don't mean they are unviable. I just mean there are better ships out there if you want to go the gunboat line.

• Cool 1

[4HIM]
Members
3,021 posts
12,624 battles

I was slowly grinding up that line.  I'm not a fan of DWT by any stretch, so PA wasn't a priority.  Then they smashed the YY with the nerf hammer.  So I've pretty much stopped at the Gatcha Mother.  No desire to go further.  But not because I'm overly worried about a lot of players taking that new module.  It's just I really don't like DWT.  I do play the Assashio B (picked it up on a lark and just play it in PvE for lulz) from time to time.  But in the PA line, I'll play the Anshan or Lo Yang more than the tech tree line.  

And yeah, in the top tiers there are several 'gunboat' DD's that will melt you in a heartbeat.  

[IND8]
[IND8]
Members
929 posts
10,167 battles

I am up to tier 8, and I am loving the amount of game disruption I can cause with the Pan-Asian radar build. The ability to stealth radar is very good in domination and epicenter modes.

[INTEL]
[INTEL]
Members
7,644 posts
34,911 battles

Not commenting about new modules until I see them.

Chung Mu is excellent and Gadjah too.

YY is still viable, and not as bad as reported, still should not have received a nerf like that.

[-VT-]
Members
857 posts
25,383 battles
9 minutes ago, alexf24 said:

Not commenting about new modules until I see them.

Chung Mu is excellent and Gadjah too.

YY is still viable, and not as bad as reported, still should not have received a nerf like that.

Agreed no clue why the messed with the YY they should just revert it back to what it was IMO. I would like them the lower the silhouette of the Gearing to line up with what the YY has.

[RKLES]
Members
12,551 posts
14,267 battles
1 hour ago, Sergeant_0ddball said:

With the upcoming new module that will detect torps from 1.5KM (IIRC) away no matter what, and stacks with Vigilance, is there any point in going up the Pan-Asian DD line now? They are outclassed as gunboats, and now their biggest advantage, the stealthy deepwater torpedoes are getting a hard nerf. Honestly, I'm having a hard time seeing a reason to go up that line.

By "outclassed as gunboats", I don't mean they are unviable. I just mean there are better ships out there if you want to go the gunboat line.

Hold on, what module is that!? And that will be yet another nerf to torpedo boat DDs and even to some CAs. :Smile_amazed:

Although a I suppose I am just as guilty as any if sinking / damaging a lot of ships with torpedoes, perhaps even more guilty than most. So I guess I might be part of the reason WG would even be considering such a thing. 

Also any ideas if the module will stack with hydro? Because current Vigilance can stack with hydro.

[SYN]
Members
3,685 posts
22,454 battles

The bottom line is there are far better DDs at each respective tier, and with the proposed changes they will be even less effective.

Yes you can still make them work but you are always at a disadvantage, so why would you bother pursuing  PA DDs unless you are completing your tech tree ship lines.

[T-D-M]
[T-D-M]
Beta Testers
54 posts
4,587 battles
38 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Hold on, what module is that!? And that will be yet another nerf to torpedo boat DDs and even to some CAs. :Smile_amazed:

Although a I suppose I am just as guilty as any if sinking / damaging a lot of ships with torpedoes, perhaps even more guilty than most. So I guess I might be part of the reason WG would even be considering such a thing. 

Also any ideas if the module will stack with hydro? Because current Vigilance can stack with hydro.

Torpedo Protection System, IIRC. It replaces Target Acquisition system, and vigilance ups the range to around 2k, IIRC. So you're sailing around with a permanent Hydro

[RKLES]
Members
12,551 posts
14,267 battles
7 minutes ago, Sergeant_0ddball said:

Torpedo Protection System, IIRC. It replaces Target Acquisition system, and vigilance ups the range to around 2k, IIRC. So you're sailing around with a permanent Hydro

But let me guess you sacrifice concealment module for it? If so that will be a cunning move by WG since they will get assured spotting range that already matches many  existing torpedoes they deal with, but at the cost of concealment of their ships... lol 

And after a brief moment of panic I pulled the torpedo specs up on a few of my DDs and CAs. While some of my German ships will suffer slight torpedo spotting range nerfs for those using the module, many of my most heavy used torpedo ships in the IJN will be unaffected. Particularly the Yoshino which has 2.5km spotting range on it’s 20km torpedoes which makes me marvel at how players manage to get hit with them lol. 

[WOLFC]
Members
2,874 posts
16,289 battles
50 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

It's the first upgrade change listed ... https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/public-test/bulletin-091/#gameplay-changes

The range is fixed at 1.8km ... it says it can be enhanced with the Vigilance skill.

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
Members
12,551 posts
14,267 battles
4 minutes ago, DocWalker said:

It's the first upgrade change listed ... https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/public-test/bulletin-091/#gameplay-changes

The range is fixed at 1.8km ... it says it can be enhanced with the Vigilance skill.

Thank you, 1.8km assured detection is worse than I heard as that will be cutting into some of my IJN torpedoes, but still manageable thanks to enemy vessels losing their concealment for it.

I am pleased by some of the other module changes such as the turret rotation speed getting the reload penalty dropped. Also eying the module that speeds up ship torpedoes by +5%.

[RKLES]
Members
12,551 posts
14,267 battles
2 hours ago, Sergeant_0ddball said:

I would say for the most part you will see no change even with the new module thanks to it being in the same slot as Concealment module. Most ships will not want to give up concealment for the new torpedo spotting module any more so than they currently want to give it up for current acquisition module. As concerning as the torp spotting module sounds at first for DDs, when you examine it more closely you realize 90-99% of players will not be using it.

• Cool 1

Members
2,763 posts
93 battles
29 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Thank you, 1.8km assured detection is worse than I heard as that will be cutting into some of my IJN torpedoes, but still manageable thanks to enemy vessels losing their concealment for it.

I am pleased by some of the other module changes such as the turret rotation speed getting the reload penalty dropped. Also eying the module that speeds up ship torpedoes by +5%.

Any torps with detection above 1.8km will remain the same. They will not drop to 1.8km.

Which means that IJN torps are the least affected with that module.

[ARGSY]
Members
20,110 posts
14,317 battles

Most people I know of who drop concealment do it to take the rudder module for super dodging ability. I don't know of anyone who took TASM-1 module and sings its praises from the rooftops. I took it for my Bismarck when I was flat broke on credits, but there were unusual circumstances: I had won it from one of the permanent campaign tasks, and the meta was 1 v 1 Ranked Sprint where the ability to see an enemy DD on the other side of an island was very useful to me. As soon as 0.9.1 drops and they switch it out for Torpedo Protection, I might use it for a bit - but I since bought a concealment module and dropped it into one of the clan battles rental ships - from which it has probably already been dismounted to inventory. Depending on how things go, Torpedo Protection might be getting the flick. Concealment on my Bismarck is pointless anyway; I ground to it and developed it as a co-op secondary-hits farmer where I ALWAYS expect to be seen.

[CO-OP]
Members
1,489 posts
24,726 battles

I despise them, but you know the OCD kicks in and that's a line that has to be completed.

[OO7]
Members
481 posts
27,249 battles

Gadjah mada is now the gem of the line. Everything after is just trash. 

• Confused 1

[MEIST]
Members
1,505 posts
5,746 battles
26 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

I would say for the most part you will see no change even with the new module thanks to it being in the same slot as Concealment module. Most ships will not want to give up concealment for the new torpedo spotting module any more so than they currently want to give it up for current acquisition module. As concerning as the torp spotting module sounds at first for DDs, when you examine it more closely you realize 90-99% of players will not be using it.

^This

I believe you are correct with this thinking.

[RKLES]
Members
12,551 posts
14,267 battles
4 minutes ago, RyuuohD_NA said:

Any torps with detection above 1.8km will remain the same. They will not drop to 1.8km.

Which means that IJN torps are the least affected with that module.

Potential issue for me is some of my IJN torps are either 1.5-1.6km detection range unless I am using 20km, my USN torps that see use are 1.1-1.5, and some of my favorite German ships use 1.3km detection range torpedoes. So IJN will still see some hopefully just slight effects from the differences in  torpedo detectability. But as I have now already theorized you will pretty much never face an opponent using the module because of the loss of concealment module to use it.

Main ship that you might risk such a module on should be the Kurfurst which you can see from orbit anyway, and can be a tempting torpedo target even with it’s hydro. And it would be really risky to try to do, but suppose you could try using the module on smoke screen CAs if you were in a Division and could pretty much be guaranteed continuous smoke but just needed to ensure you did not get blind torpedoes sent in undetected.

[TNG-2]
Members
203 posts
14,166 battles

The new module won't be taken by many people.  Yueyang is still viable but went from above average to below average with the nerf because you can't gunfight with her anymore.  Chung Mu is still above average and very strong.  If I were a more casual player, I'd stop at Chung Mu right now.  I'd also keep the Gadjah Mada at tier 7... and that's all I'd hold onto in the line itself.

[ARGSY]
Members
20,110 posts
14,317 battles
47 minutes ago, Heed_04 said:

If I were a more casual player, I'd stop at Chung Mu right now.  I'd also keep the Gadjah Mada at tier 7... and that's all I'd hold onto in the line itself.

I loved the Gadjah. Her guns were a huge step up after the Fushun - she's basically a Tier 7.5 cross between Jervis and Lightning with DWT's - but the torpedo reload is painfully slow at two minutes. I ground up to and obtained the Hsienyang purely for her 2019 steel snowflake, desperately hoping to have enough for the Flint... and then just before the Snowflakes went live I got a steel supercontainer which gave me enough for the Black and 700 left over! :Smile_veryhappy:

Members
143 posts
1,670 battles

I've done about eight regrinds of the PA line. The T7-T9 are all pretty good if you play them right and utilize their strengths (good concealment, great smokes, low-detect torps). My one recommendation is to stick to the stock torps on the T8 as they perform a lot better than the optional module. 

The T6, however, I run as a pure gun boat. No concealment, no LS. Instead, BFT/DE/SE/AFT/AR/EM/PT. Works great. 

[SALVO]
Members
24,801 posts
25,886 battles
4 hours ago, Sergeant_0ddball said:

Oddball, it all depends on how many people use the new slot 5 module.  If people stick with the tried and true concealment module, then nothing changes.  But if we start seeing a lot of BB players running the anti-torpedo module, then all best are off.