BrushWolf

Best Movie Car Chase!

14 comments in this topic

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,441 posts
14,165 battles

The chases in Bullitt and The French Connection are white knuckle rides but the Paris car chase in Ronin I think is the winner. It is rare that Paris grants permission to film action scenes in Paris but Frankenheimer got permission to do them and the tunnel scenes are double white knuckle. What I like about the chase scenes in Ronin are that they are 10/10ths controlled driving unlike in most movies that show wild uncontrolled driving.

• Cool 1

Supertester, Volunteer Moderator
420 posts
5,134 battles

The best one still goes to Bullitt for me, not added spec effects(not even sparks), no explosions, no crazy accidents happening behind them, no music, no guns, no dialogue. Just screaming engines as they tear through town.

Not to mention the actual in car camera shots during the chase, no green screen bacgrounds here. (Also extremely controlled driving)

• Cool 3
  • Boring 1

[REVY]
Members
6,758 posts
5,688 battles

/joking  Black Lagoon has a Terminator maid in it's car chase, how can you beat that?

Edited by Sventex
  • Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,441 posts
14,165 battles
23 minutes ago, mfumukoskoldpadda said:

The best one still goes to Bullitt for me, not added spec effects(not even sparks), no explosions, no crazy accidents happening behind them, no music, no guns, no dialogue. Just screaming engines as they tear through town.

Not to mention the actual in car camera shots during the chase, no green screen bacgrounds here. (Also extremely controlled driving)

Not as controlled as Frankenheimer filmed but then I don't think that Peter Yates had access to formula drivers to drive the chase scenes and the cars are 1960's US iron instead of much more capable EU 1990's cars.

[SOUP]
Modder, Supertester
8,774 posts

Personally I'd like to nominate The Island, while itself a pretty lame movie, should at least get an honourable mention. While certain bits are obviously CG (good luck throwing train wheels around safely), all the wrecks were done practically

53 minutes ago, Sventex said:

Black Lagoon has a Terminator maid in it's car chase, how can you beat that?

Yaaaaaasssss, such an underappreciated series

• Cool 1

[SOUP]
Modder, Supertester
8,774 posts

And for some reason, even with all my fancy moderator powers, it won't let me select [Edit] on my post above...  guess I'll just post a second comment then...

Another great anime chase can be found in Gunsmith Cats, episode 2.

Ahhhh, the mid 90s~   When dubbing into English was a case of "good enough!" or "I'm gonna ham the hell outta this role!"
(bonus fact, the voice of Becky Farrah (the one with the glasses) was done by Tiffany Grant, before she was cast as Asuka in Evangelion) (She's also in Mermaid's Wrath, please click the link below, I'm a shameless shill for my own product...  xD )

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,187 posts
19,055 battles

Some excellent chases listed here, and for some excellent reasons too. On a slightly different vein, might I suggest the entirety of Mad Max Fury Road. There's something to be said for the pure artistry of that movie, which is basically one big roadrunner chase. Hyper-stylized, blend of the practical and the special effect.

• Cool 2

[KSC]
Members
643 posts
9,608 battles

As I recall, the Bourne franchise had some very slickly done stuff.  My Dad had been lamenting the death of the car chase shortly before I saw that and I remembering recommending it to him.

[SYN]
Members
3,685 posts
22,478 battles
6 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

Paris car chase in Ronin I think is the winner

Ronin is the best

I love how for some of the scenes the drivers sat in the boot and drove the car from there.   

[-K-]
Members
8,363 posts
14,175 battles

May not be the best, but still hilariously entertaining:

[WOLFG]
Members
9,634 posts
8,629 battles
6 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

May not be the best, but still hilariously entertaining:

For entertaining, it is hard to beat the mall scene in Blues Brothers.

Ronin was good, and its been so long, I can't remember the French Connection, but Bullit seemed so realistic (except for losing 5 hubcaps).

• Cool 1

[RTXN]
Banned
1,416 posts

Bullitt is probably tops for me, but would like to submit 2 more:

Gone in 60 sec (2000) - not a Nicholas Cage fan, but oh Eleanor!

Cobra (1986) - again same about Sly as Cage but love the car.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,441 posts
14,165 battles
5 hours ago, Camo68 said:

Ronin is the best

I love how for some of the scenes the drivers sat in the boot and drove the car from there.   

Having the actors in cars that are actually moving fast adds so much to a scene. Frankenheimer used the same techniques for the Ronin chase scenes that he used in Grand Prix.