You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
otakuben

Alright, that's it. I need to know something about rocket planes.

49 comments in this topic

[SMLSK]
Beta Testers
1,335 posts
1,977 battles

How in God's name are you people dev striking or +50% hp removing DD's? I have yet to have that happen in single game. Am I not playing the right CV's? I'm up the British line and at tier 8 in the Japanese line. I know it happens, but just not to me. Seriously how are you doing it?

Teach me your magical ways.

Members
2,763 posts
93 battles
4 minutes ago, otakuben said:

How in God's name are you people dev striking or +50% hp removing DD's? I have yet to have that happen in single game. Am I not playing the right CV's? I'm up the British line and at tier 8 in the Japanese line. I know it happens, but just not to me. Seriously how are you doing it?

I dunno, apparently everyone is saying that even absolute scrubs can remove 50% of unicum DD's HP from rocket planes every pass. Does this mean you're worse than an absolute scrub?

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Members
5,364 posts

Don't get too worried about it.  People lie and exaggerate.  Is it possible to remove 50% of a DD's health in one pass?  Sure.   

Possible?  Yes.  Likely?  Happens often?  No.  Not at all.

But it sounds a lot better when people say it that way when they want to have a fit about CVs and rockets.

I'm sure if you go through enough replays and string them together you can find enough incidents for someone to make it a more convincing lie...but it's still a lie.

Members
1,225 posts
5,930 battles

A 1/3 to 1/4 is pretty common but 1/2 is exceeding rare unless you are USN or you are two tiers higher.

Edited by Tekina_

[WOLF3]
Members
26,992 posts
23,790 battles

The narrative on the forums is that by virtue of logging into the game and entering a match with a CV, you have automatically dev struck all enemy DDs as soon as you launch a plane.  So I don't know what you're doing wrong!

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1
  • Funny 3

Members
404 posts
3,852 battles
1 hour ago, Kirov_Six said:

People lie and exaggerate. 

My favorite so far on these boards has been, "I can get 5 kills in Coop at will."

Not when the average Coop game these days last 4-5 minutes. I've seen someone get 4 kills many a time (done it myself), but I'm not sure I've ever actually seen somebody get 5 kills. In over 800 Coop games there must have been at least a couple - but none spring to mind.

[TOAST]
[TOAST]
Members
1,444 posts
10,195 battles
1 hour ago, Tekina_ said:

A 1/3 to 1/4 is pretty common but 1/2 is exceeding rare unless you are USN or you are two tiers higher.

Which happens a lot once you hit tier 6 all the way until you hit tier 9. Spread sheet says you're having fun.

[NH]
Members
1,760 posts

Even if this is the truth which its not something that happens on the reg Its certain CVs rocket planes. Not all of them. This is like coming to the forums and saying "AP shells OP plz nerf" Each CV is different and its rockets have different qualities. Be specific on which one is causing you the trouble and in which DDs. There is no substance to your post at this point.

Edited by The_Fire_Department
  • Cool 1

[O7]
Members
1,493 posts
10,811 battles

all 3 tier 10 cv are capable of 11-12k rocket salvos so it is entirely possible to take half a dds health with 1 strike, i have dev struck many many dd with midway bombs in my time because h.e bombs dealing 20k damage is perfectly fine and 0 counterplay is fun for everyone :)

• Funny 1

Members
246 posts
310 battles
3 hours ago, otakuben said:

LOL.

Funny I should see this post after seeing a Shima lose 2/3 of its health in a single Hakuryu rocket wave within 2 mins of game start.

This Shima was right next to a DM mind you.

He died in the next 2 mins because he had to sit in smoke to get a respite from the CV and got ganked for the last 7k of his hp.

Oh how fun and engaging it must have been for that Shima player... and that DM that got dunked next by AP bombs.

Edited by KosmicRavioli

[KSC]
Members
634 posts
9,509 battles
58 minutes ago, ITZ_ACE_BABY said:

all 3 tier 10 cv are capable of 11-12k rocket salvos so it is entirely possible to take half a dds health with 1 strike, i have dev struck many many dd with midway bombs in my time because h.e bombs dealing 20k damage is perfectly fine and 0 counterplay is fun for everyone :)

I would love to know your secret for reliably landing 6 bombs on a DD post-reticle nerf.

Everything in my past 500+ Midway games says you're trolling out of your mind with this comment.

Edited by Ahskance
  • Cool 1

[KSC]
Members
634 posts
9,509 battles
3 hours ago, otakuben said:

USN Rockets planes are specialized to hit broadside targets.  If you pick a good line, hold that line for 4-6 seconds to fully zoom in your reticle, then release about half a ship length ahead of the still fully broadside DD (full ship length for French DDs) you can expect...

3.5-4.5k damage in a Tier 6 Ranger.

7-9k damage in a Tier 8 Lexington

4-6k damage in a Tier 10 Midway (the dispersion on the rockets is horrid, so they are only good for chipping at DDs)

Again, this is against BROADSIDE DDs.  If they turn and point their nose or but at your planes, drop that damage by around 70%.

As for IJN Rocket Planes, pick a really good line from 4km out so you have time to aim in fully.  As long as you lead appropriately, and the DDs doesn't speed juke their throttle to screw your aim since you can't turn left/right in IJN Rocket Planes once committed... you should expect

2.5k damage in a Tier 6 Ryujo

4.5k damage in a Tier 8 Shokaku

7-9k damage in a Tier 10 Hakaryu

British CVs becoming more and more specialized at DD hunting the higher the tier.  With the ability to cut their throttle to very slow speeds, they can often catch sneaky DDs that other CVs will overflt (when DDs use the AA only during aerial detection windows).  British Rocket Planes have a long aiming time, and forgiving aim penalty for turning mid-attack.  If you can FULLY DIAL IN YOUR AIMING RETICLE, you should expect...

2k damage per pass on a Tier Furious

4.5k damage per pass on a Tier 8 Implacable

7-9k damage per pass on a Tier 10 Audacious (tryong to approach from a behind and a little sideways).

----

These numbers are vulnerable to saturation mechanics, so the first hit is the biggest.

The biggest, best tip I can give you is learning how to lead your target so you can fully dial in your reticle.  Then also learning how to lead your actual shot so all the rockets land on the DD (as opposed to firing at their nose and only scratching their butt with half your volley).

Co-Op is a great tool for learning how to lead a non-maneuvering target that keeps itself lit.  DDs in randoms are often sneakier than that, or more evasive, but learning the base timing is important so you can fit it to the situation at hand.

[-VT-]
Members
857 posts
25,383 battles

I don't see half, but if the CV is good I get clipped for 25% almost every time.  And it normally gets 2 passes on me so there you go. It help is you can rapidly accelerate or decelerate more than turning in my experience.

I don't want to get rid of CVs or anything like that  just wish either the rocket planes where lest accurate or not as fast.  Either would give you a better chance at survival.

[REVY]
Members
2,275 posts
12,229 battles
7 hours ago, otakuben said:

for a DD to lose 50% of its health in a single pass would quite frankly be the RNG roll of a lifetime, not to mention a specific set of circumstance.

Ideally, for this to happen, your aircraft would have to be flying directly at the broadside of the DD. You would have to have your planes fire their rockets at the right moment to hit the DD pretty much in its middle, and RNG would have to allow ever rocket to not only hit, but penetrate. This is not even bringing up the AA from the DD nor surrounding ships that might be affecting the pass.

The usual 'best' result of a Rocket Plane attack on a DD is about 25% of its HP.

[TMS]
Beta Testers
3,731 posts
14,311 battles

As a dd player why would I inform you, of a well guarded secret of how to remove large chunks of hp off a DD using rockets

[WOLFG]
Members
28,914 posts
8,185 battles
9 hours ago, otakuben said:

6 hours ago, ITZ_ACE_BABY said:

And people wonder why WG is constantly trying to introduce things that negate or mitigate skill.

How in the heck do you balance something, when such wildly varying results are possible?

[TMS]
Members
3,349 posts
33,154 battles
4 hours ago, vikingno2 said:

I don't see half, but if the CV is good I get clipped for 25% almost every time.  And it normally gets 2 passes on me so there you go. It help is you can rapidly accelerate or decelerate more than turning in my experience.

I don't want to get rid of CVs or anything like that  just wish either the rocket planes where lest accurate or not as fast.  Either would give you a better chance at survival.

The problem is you can't stop and reverse quick enough when you pop the smoke so pretty much still get the first hit even if the DD is undetected.

Edited by Final8ty

[TMS]
Members
3,349 posts
33,154 battles

If the CV gets the DD broadside then half HP is likely.

Members
5,364 posts
8 hours ago, MichiganEagle said:

My favorite so far on these boards has been, "I can get 5 kills in Coop at will."

Not when the average Coop game these days last 4-5 minutes. I've seen someone get 4 kills many a time (done it myself), but I'm not sure I've ever actually seen somebody get 5 kills. In over 800 Coop games there must have been at least a couple - but none spring to mind.

I think I did once, but it was a game where I was the only human, and the green bots didn't all ram-suicide.  Just got lucky.

[SIMP]
Members
1,522 posts
9 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

The narrative on the forums is that by virtue of logging into the game and entering a match with a CV, you have automatically dev struck all enemy DDs as soon as you launch a plane.  So I don't know what you're doing wrong!

This ^

(Forumites tend to fib a bit when it comes to CVs....)

[WOLFC]
Members
485 posts
6,354 battles

You can always ask this guy. He'll be more than happy to tell you about the time he sunk 4 DDs in a single game. 

CptAlBundy.jpg

• Cool 1

[O7]
Members
1,493 posts
10,811 battles
8 hours ago, Ahskance said:

I would love to know your secret for reliably landing 6 bombs on a DD post-reticle nerf.

Everything in my past 500+ Midway games says you're trolling out of your mind with this comment.

you could try getting gooder? its not like cv requires any remote amount of skill to master

• Cool 1

[S-N-D]
Banned
3,327 posts
7,738 battles
1 hour ago, ITZ_ACE_BABY said:

you could try getting gooder? its not like cv requires any remote amount of skill to master

If that were the case there wouldn't be 35 BBs 35 CA 12 DD and like 4 CVs on a given queue. They'd have 35 too. Most of the player base can't manually aim torpedoes and they soon learn rockets and bombs just aren't the ownage they were told they were. That's assuming you're talking about the portion who can grasp how not to fly their planes into an ambush and how to get past AA to make an attack.

Edited by _Caliph_
  • Cool 1

[O7]
Members
1,493 posts
10,811 battles
1 minute ago, _Caliph_ said:

If that were the case there wouldn't be 35 BBs 35 CA 12 DD and like 4 CVs on a given queue. They'd have 35 too. 

that comes down to enjoyment, cv gameplay is very boring, dull, and too easy compared to playing surface ships.

plus alot of players are honourable and have decency to not play abhorrently broken ships like cv and smol.

• Cool 3
  • Boring 1