Sign in to follow this  
Snipereagle23

LEGO USS Intrepid 1:600th

7 comments in this topic

[GLORY]
Members
345 posts
2,783 battles

For some reason the post in my signature related to this same ship was deleted, not sure why. So this is a re-post of the original build. I created this ship over a period of two weeks from start-to-finish, including the digital design process, all the way back in early 2018. Once the build was complete, I took the finished model to New York City on a trip of mine and photographed it next to the larger LEGO model that they have there made by Ed Diment. It is still alive today, sitting in a water base on my display desk, waiting for the time she will be needed in combat again. 

Without further ado, I present to you the USS Intrepid in 1:600th scale. 

USS Intrepid, "The Fighting I" 1943 configuration

Type: Essex Class Aircraft Carrier

Commissioned: August 16th, 1943

Decommissioned: March 15h, 1974

Re-Commisoned/refitted to attack carrier: CVA-11 (October 1st, 1952)

Struck: February 23rd, 1982

o1toXrx.jpg

Fate: Museum ship currently berthed on the Hudson River in the United States.

Spoiler

Starboard side, showing the superstructure and hull detail. This is my favorite side of the vessel. 

mbqpOKw.jpg

Stern detail, showing the rear BOFORS AA gun and 4" guns.

ZVyJMHv.jpg

Bow of the vessel, showing the bridge and more of the 4" guns. This also shows the "cheese slopes" at the bow acting as AA mounts.

FV2yUbh.jpg

The superstructure, showing the mini American Flag, the roller skates acting as tow tractors, the 4" gun rangefinders, radar, AA guns, and funnel. 

PdSlnXO.jpg

Edited by Snipereagle23
Fixed a weird image glitch
  • Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
14,245 posts
25,085 battles

Ahh... So merciful...

I often first remember the less dignified of her nick-names...

...’the Dry I’....

...for all the time she spent in dry dock getting repaired.

[GLORY]
Members
345 posts
2,783 battles
12 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Ahh... So merciful...

I often first remember the less dignified of her nick-names...

...’the Dry I’....

...for all the time she spent in dry dock getting repaired.

Yeah, she was an interesting ship. Beautiful to be sure but not without her flaws. 
It would be nice to see her in the game as a premium, though. 

[LSNB]
Members
1,579 posts
4,409 battles

Glad we're getting the opportunity to visit her during the summer in the Anchors Away Tours. I had the chance to visit her one spring, but I opted to see the 9/11 museum instead.

Other than that, this is a really nice build. How do I become a better Lego builder?

Edited by destawaits
  • Cool 1

[GLORY]
Members
345 posts
2,783 battles

5 hours ago, destawaits said:

Other than that, this is a really nice build. How do I become a better Lego builder?

Oh wow, that's a real in-depth question. There are so many variables and techniques that go into builds like this. I am what you would consider an average LEGO designer, and by no sense of the word an expert, but if there's one tip I would give to fellow LEGO builders:

Is to never think of LEGO as a black & white. If you find a roadblock in a build, find a way around it. The number of connections and techniques that can be used are astronomical. Never approach a build and look at it in one dimension. Think about how you can improve every time you crack open your collection. 

By the way, I have other maritime builds and other related LEGO shenanigans over on my Flickr page. Thanks for visiting and letting me know your thoughts! :cap_like:

[LSNB]
Members
1,579 posts
4,409 battles

Hmm... maybe it's because I have a lack of LEGO to begin with; my LEGO collection is all over the place because of a multitude of LEGO sets so I have a hard time building something without a foundation-like piece. Maybe I just need to get used to LEGO Designer.

I don't have an idea for a build right now, so I'll go brainstorm for a while.

Edited by destawaits

[GLORY]
Members
345 posts
2,783 battles
12 minutes ago, destawaits said:

Hmm... maybe it's because I have a lack of LEGO to begin with; my LEGO collection is all over the place because of a multitude of LEGO sets so I have a hard time building something without a foundation-like piece. Maybe I just need to get used to LEGO Designer.

I don't have an idea for a build right now, so I'll go brainstorm for a while.

I design almost 100% of my builds in LDD before I build them irl. It is very easy to accurately plan and design a large-scale build and then order the missing parts later with an endless amount of bricks. 

Sign in to follow this