Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Admiral_Thrawn_1

Am I improving or is something wrong?

7 comments in this topic

[RKLES]
Members
12,551 posts
14,267 battles

Perhaps it was the couple weeks of bad MM just after New Years that had me not used to some of the better things in WOWs, or maybe I suddenly improved my gameplay? But last couple days odd things have been happening...

Last night took Shimakaze into battle with no AA flags or any AA upgrades at all and shot down 54 aircraft and inflicted heavy damage to ships. The highest scoring ship in the battle was an AA cruiser that shot down 12 planes, while my IJN torp boat DD downed 54 unaided!? Well it was Blizzard weather on the islands of ice map which might of contributed to aircraft having to circle around a few extra times and the CV did end up fighting for it’s life after I was instructed by my team mid battle to take out the CV so it was feeding me planes like a conveyor belt.

Then another Shimakaze battle remounted 20km torpedoes since I do well with those in my Yoshino and wanted to try them again in Shima. Scored 15 torpedo hits doing mostly very long range attacks. At least one of those attacks a Yamato ate 6 of the torpedoes at once despite the range being long.

And speaking of Yoshino I fired off some 20km torpedoes in a blind fire attack in Greece map on a hunch that they might turn out good maybe. Got sunk by a Super Tester that was playing well, but will remain nameless so this will not be in anyway naming or shaming. But after I had been sunk a minute or so went by then that ST in a Hindenburg was Dev struck by 3 of those torpedoes which I never would have guessed that would of happened.

Other odd thing is despite my Yamato being my original X ship, it has had issues in battles being as effective since September 2019. Well took it out for a few battles to farm the potential damage for ARP mission figuring it at least would do that. Well not only did it put up good potential damage scores but also performed well several battles on a row in terms of damage and ships sunk. 

So either my luck had gotten really good suddenly, or I a have suddenly once again stepped up in my skill level in playing WOWs, or something could be wrong here lol. Because while I consider myself at least a competent player I am the first to admit I’m not a Unicom player.

• Cool 2

[SALVO]
Members
2,020 posts
6,200 battles

Overall your stats are trending up.  Last three weeks as a whole you have been outperforming your historical performance by a good margin.    Your recent ( past 24-48 hours) shows a great streak.  Sometimes the game just clicks.  Biggest thing now would be to try and keep performance up through a bad streak without getting into a  "tilt" .   

Going through the ships by type you have been doing very  well in DDs with an average of 1700 PR over 47 games ( That kind of performance will land you  in the high 50s%  over the long term.  Though the Yoshino  has been a more consistent WR farmer for you pumping that stat up.   BTW your absolutely best performances have been in your gearing though sample size is small. 

Edited by eviltane

Members
174 posts
17,390 battles

It's just a numbers game... roll the dice enough you'll get winners here and there.

[RKLES]
Members
12,551 posts
14,267 battles
27 minutes ago, eviltane said:

Overall your stats are trending up.  Last three weeks as a whole you have been outperforming your historical performance by a good margin.    Your recent ( past 24-48 hours) shows a great streak.  Sometimes the game just clicks.  Biggest thing now would be to try and keep performance up through a bad streak without getting into a  "tilt" .   

Going through the ships by type you have been doing very  well in DDs with an average of 1700 PR over 47 games ( That kind of performance will land you  in the high 50s%  over the long term.  Though the Yoshino  has been a more consistent WR farmer for you pumping that stat up.   BTW your absolutely best performances have been in your gearing though sample size is small. 

Despite the claims by so many that long ranged torpedoes are bad, I have been finding that longer ranged torpedoes are better if you can also achieve good reload with them. So Gearing I actually use a build I think Notser recommended in a vid, but I had already worked it out prior, it was just good to get confirmation. I specced the Gearing as torpedo boat DD which has given it great longevity even after better gunboat DDs have been added. And having the ability to hit targets over 13km away allows even Moskava/ Stalingrad to be harassed despite their long Radar reach. And has allowed enemy ships though to be safe to be taken out. Also Gearing’s other characteristics such as good torpedo reload times, nice stock AA to help fend off air attacks, good concealment, ok armor, and nice mobility help.

Yoshino is a very nice ship I had sadly misjudged when it came out until I saw it in action a few times in Ranked and Clan Battles where it’s Performance was undisputed as having potential. And once again having longer torpedo reach in addition to long gun reach has been very helpful since I don’t have to travel across the map, take out a target, and go back and forth as often to deal with problems that I can now handle at range such as saving a ally who got a little in over their head. Or leaving some nasty surprises in the water for enemy to run into even after I have been sunk for a bit. It shocks me just how often enemy ships are completely oblivious to 20km torpedoes and that a ship they sunk might have offloaded some as a last ditch effort, so they will sail in a nice straight line or finally start emerging from islands.

Also have been very conflicted with Shimakaze as the 12km torpedoes are faster running and therefore can be more effective if the battle and map favors being able to move into close enough ranges to use them, but then you are in danger of hidden Radar ships particularly if the best targets are farther back in a battle. Meanwhile the 20km torpedoes are a little slower, supposedly easier to spot, but have the long reach if you know where and how to launch them, plus they reload faster.

[DPG]
Supertester
646 posts
15,837 battles

Glad to hear you are having a good streak! That always make the game more enjoyable :) 

For most captains, I recommend watching all the other numbers besides Win rate as a measure of overall improvement. If your av damage, PR, ship kills and such are continually rising, you are on the right track, and victories will follow - just keep in mind, weekend warrior match making can rock your win rate at times regardless how strong a player you are... it takes a team... 

I try not looking at my stats too much - they can drive you a bit crazy if focused too much ... but watch which ships you have the highest performance in... and examine why you think that is ... then when looking at which lines to research next, pick similar play style ships.. that will serve you well :) 

for anyone struggling with the other numbers - best to focus on playing the same ships more often than jumping between many. get used to the torp systems, the shell velocities and such ... play similar ships - the french and German cruisers play somewhat similar ... don't jump between two very different types like soviet and american fast/slow shells ... 

Play torp dd's  or gun dd's not back and forth  until you get really good at them and then slowly expand our capabilities ...  only practice makes this happen, so casual players would have the best luck playing only a few specific ships at a time, while obviously anyone playing 10+ battles / day will grow in ability far quicker. 

keep up the solid performance! 

[SALVO]
Members
2,020 posts
6,200 battles
34 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Despite the claims by so many that long ranged torpedoes are bad, I have been finding that longer ranged torpedoes are better if you can also achieve good reload with them. So Gearing I actually use a build I think Notser recommended in a vid, but I had already worked it out prior, it was just good to get confirmation. I specced the Gearing as torpedo boat DD which has given it great longevity even after better gunboat DDs have been added. And having the ability to hit targets over 13km away allows even Moskava/ Stalingrad to be harassed despite their long Radar reach. And has allowed enemy ships though to be safe to be taken out. Also Gearing’s other characteristics such as good torpedo reload times, nice stock AA to help fend off air attacks, good concealment, ok armor, and nice mobility help.

Yoshino is a very nice ship I had sadly misjudged when it came out until I saw it in action a few times in Ranked and Clan Battles where it’s Performance was undisputed as having potential. And once again having longer torpedo reach in addition to long gun reach has been very helpful since I don’t have to travel across the map, take out a target, and go back and forth as often to deal with problems that I can now handle at range such as saving a ally who got a little in over their head. Or leaving some nasty surprises in the water for enemy to run into even after I have been sunk for a bit. It shocks me just how often enemy ships are completely oblivious to 20km torpedoes and that a ship they sunk might have offloaded some as a last ditch effort, so they will sail in a nice straight line or finally start emerging from islands.

Also have been very conflicted with Shimakaze as the 12km torpedoes are faster running and therefore can be more effective if the battle and map favors being able to move into close enough ranges to use them, but then you are in danger of hidden Radar ships particularly if the best targets are farther back in a battle. Meanwhile the 20km torpedoes are a little slower, supposedly easier to spot, but have the long reach if you know where and how to launch them, plus they reload faster.

Shima used to be  my main ship.  I definitely recommend using and getting used to the 12km torps.  If not that then the 20km with the speed boost perk. 

Sign in to follow this