LadyAnesjka

Gardener of WoWs...

19 comments in this topic

[-F-]
Members
1,674 posts
12,336 battles

Ožujak - March is right around corner !!!!!!!!!

Here out side of Splitsku - weather have be a bit chilly but bula have now start to calm.

What is everyone plan for starting you garden this year ?????????????????? I CANNOT WAIT --- I have already start to order my seeds, I think this will be my biggest year yet !! Going to try to grow some American plant this year.

Fingers crossed !

• Cool 3

Members
2,804 posts
36,531 battles

I usually plant roses.

My grandmother says when 3 bloom like that, it's a sign you have 3 .. thinking about you.

Not sure if that is true. But it's a nice story from her.

They grow well by my room window.

In our area, the weather is wildly variable in fall and winter, but unbelievably hot in summer.

We have a spring. That is best time to see what's new at garden center and plant roses.

We have one rose bush that is 40 years old, but has not bloomed since 2003.

This one is a young plant. About 12.

Yes, I grow things.

You will be surprised how many here presume I don't. LOL

IMG_20191231_162010196-EFFECTS.jpg

• Cool 1

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
3,565 posts
11,145 battles

I'm growing tomatoes , lettuce , some herbs and some corn but that is so far away I can't even think about it . 

• Funny 1

[GWG]
Members
6,946 posts
13,490 battles

Need to plant cat grass for the long winter months.

• Cool 1

0 posts

well, potatoes late February, tomatoes in April, and what ever else takes my fancy down at the gardening centres. No leeks or cabbages this year, last summer was not successful, the soil needs to rest. I have roses everywhere, aside from pruning in March, they look after themselves (mostly). The oldest rose in the garden has already begun blooming (!) and refused to wait for Spring, and she is a centennial. Not the biggest flowers, but a very sweet perfume. The fruit orchard requires constant attention, all year round. Another mild winter (here) so far, means there will be many pests and illnesses to be wary of. 

2 hours ago, AVR_Project said:

Need to plant cat grass for the long winter months.

!

[ROCKR]
Members
334 posts
13,692 battles

I'm putting in milk weed to help out the Monarchs.  In our neck of the woods, they're running out of places to lay eggs. Fun to look at, too. Also putting in Lavender to keep mosquitoes away.

[WW2]
Members
341 posts
6,785 battles

We have sweet potatoes growing now. Also my pineapple seems to be growing nicely. Will have snow peas and squash this spring. 

[WOLFG]
Members
9,559 posts
8,505 battles

I am more skilled at killing plants than getting them to grow, so I don't garden.

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,097 posts
4,081 battles
7 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

Gardesn, LOL, LOL, LOL, last May 8th we got 10.6 inches of snow. We don't plant much before Memorial Day here.

The current winter so far as of January 24.

https://kool1017.com/heres-how-much-snow-duluth-has-seen-so-far-in-2019-2020-season/

Yeah pretty much my reaction. End of May is still a bit risky even down in Southern MI. February just started, it's going to be a bit before things start going in the ground.

That said, it's 45F right now and sunny, didn't need a coat today for the first time in I don't know how long. Going to enjoy it while it lasts.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,604 posts

I will plant corn, squash, onions, peppers, okra, and tomatoes this year. I've found that beans, carrots, lettuce, potatoes, and spices are not really worth the effort. I save a few ears of corn, a dozen pods of okra, and a couple of squash to use for next-years seeds, but buy tomatoes and peppers as the hybrids just grow better. Onion planters are $2.50 for a pack of 50 so it's not worth messing with a seed crop of them either.

I'll also plant a pumpkin patch. Usually I just till in the jack 'o lanterns left over from the previous year to provide new ones for the next year. However, my nieces and cousins went hog wild over my patch last fall and took off with my seed crop. Therefore, I'll need to pick up a couple of packages of seeds for them too.

I'm going to plant some bird feed this year too, mainly sunflowers. I get a kick out of feeding birds and my brown cat likes to spend summer days lying amongst the sunflowers. Generally, I just plant a small flower bed of sunflowers but this year I'm going to plant a large patch in the garden so I won't have to buy bird seed anymore.

Edited by Snargfargle

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,604 posts
12 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

Gardesn, LOL, LOL, LOL, last May 8th we got 10.6 inches of snow. We don't plant much before Memorial Day here.

The current winter so far as of January 24.

https://kool1017.com/heres-how-much-snow-duluth-has-seen-so-far-in-2019-2020-season/

A couple of days ago we got 13 inches of snow. However, I don't think I'd like to live in Minnesota during the winter.

Looking out my front door.

IMG_0828.jpg.778f1b777cd05d73cb21a6b9a4485c53.jpg

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,411 posts
14,163 battles
5 hours ago, AJTP89 said:

Yeah pretty much my reaction. End of May is still a bit risky even down in Southern MI. February just started, it's going to be a bit before things start going in the ground.

That said, it's 45F right now and sunny, didn't need a coat today for the first time in I don't know how long. Going to enjoy it while it lasts.

Southern Michigan shouldn't have to worry about frost even in early May. Down around the Twin Cities they are able to plant early in May. It is amazing how much the climate can change in only 150 miles.

[-F-]
Members
1,674 posts
12,336 battles
19 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

A couple of days ago we got 13 inches of snow. However, I don't think I'd like to live in Minnesota during the winter.

Looking out my front door.

IMG_0828.jpg.778f1b777cd05d73cb21a6b9a4485c53.jpg

You have no idea how much I love snow --- I want you to feel my envy SO MUCH

[-F-]
Members
1,674 posts
12,336 battles
6 hours ago, Bonfire79 said:

I'm putting in milk weed to help out the Monarchs.  In our neck of the woods, they're running out of places to lay eggs. Fun to look at, too. Also putting in Lavender to keep mosquitoes away.

I did not know this ...... these VERY bad in spring and fall here

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,097 posts
4,081 battles
1 hour ago, BrushWolf said:

Southern Michigan shouldn't have to worry about frost even in early May. Down around the Twin Cities they are able to plant early in May. It is amazing how much the climate can change in only 150 miles.

Huh. From experience I don't plant until after May 15, the major frost worry is gone by then. If you wanted to gamble you could go a week or two earlier. But while a heavy frost is unlikely after May 1, you can easily get enough of one to kill the green.

You're right on the distance though. I'm in Bloomington now, about 200mi south of where I used to live. Family back home has reported double digit snow fall a couple times and all I've seen is a light dusting that didn't stick. Doesn't take much distance to make a difference I guess.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,604 posts
4 hours ago, AJTP89 said:

Huh. From experience I don't plant until after May 15, the major frost worry is gone by then. 

One reason that I like planting onions is that I can get them in and growing early and they tolerate late freezes well. I plant them as soon as they arrive at the hardware store and the nights are consistently above freezing. The date I start to plant the rest of the garden is determined by when the weeds and volunteer crops start coming up. Usually the pumpkins from tilled-in jack 'o lanterns start coming up first. A couple of weeks after this the pigweed will start appearing and it's time to plant tomatoes and peppers. Okra and corn can wait awhile as they are warm-season plants; I've found that they do best when planted around the middle of May unless the spring weather is really warm.

My biggest garden problem is weeds. Usually about mid-summer I get tired of weeding and just let them take over. I'd probably have more of a harvest if I'd spend more time weeding but summer brings a lot of outdoor work I need to get done and a garden is only part of that. I've tried pre-emergents and they do work OK but are also expensive. If it costs as much to grow something as I can buy it then I'm not really coming out too well, especially if I have to work a lot too. This is why I've found growing potatoes not really worth the effort, as you can buy ten pounds for a few bucks. However, tomatoes and corn are much better out of the garden than when bought at the store and peppers are much less expensive. I can get a year's worth of onions for five dollars investment in seedlings. I store half of them as bulbs and chop and freeze the other half them for use over the winter. I usually just eat the corn fresh as I've not had much success freezing it. No matter what directions I follow it just doesn't stay as crisp as I'd like after it's frozen.

• Cool 1

[ROCKR]
Members
334 posts
13,692 battles
19 hours ago, LadyAnesjka said:

I did not know this ...... these VERY bad in spring and fall here

Lots of butterflies along the Adriatic?

[-F-]
Members
1,674 posts
12,336 battles
1 hour ago, Bonfire79 said:

Lots of butterflies along the Adriatic?

I think america have more. I remember seeing such big ones during my small time there.