Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
crazyferret23777

Noob Thunderer player question

23 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

120
[DRNX]
Members
456 posts
11,110 battles

Only got to take her out twice so far but want to know how good her AP is compared to other tier 10 BB's? HE is amazing but haven't used much AP yet because games were short blow out's. Does it have that awful short fuse AP that the conq has which is terrible against other BB's. TIA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,675
[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,470 posts
6 minutes ago, crazyferret23777 said:

Only got to take her out twice so far but want to know how good her AP is compared to other tier 10 BB's? HE is amazing but haven't used much AP yet because games were short blow out's. Does it have that awful short fuse AP that the conq has which is terrible against other BB's. TIA

Thunderer is ALL about the AP. 

She doesn't really have enough barrels for HE to be her strong point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,705
[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
3,561 posts
11,136 battles
1 hour ago, crazyferret23777 said:

Only got to take her out twice so far but want to know how good her AP is compared to other tier 10 BB's? HE is amazing but haven't used much AP yet because games were short blow out's. Does it have that awful short fuse AP that the conq has which is terrible against other BB's. TIA

Don't use HE with Thunderer unless you have to her AP is great and she's accurate don't play her like a Conq . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,660
[POP]
Beta Testers
4,705 posts
6,919 battles

get broadside to instantly die. that's thunderer experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,675
[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,470 posts
43 minutes ago, Cruxdei said:

get broadside to instantly die. that's thunderer experience.

Yes, it can't take a hit.  That is it's balance against it's insane long range "you die now" AP accuracy.

Every ship needs to have a weakness that counteracts it's strengths. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
361
[MOOW]
[MOOW]
Members
622 posts
23,268 battles

Actually using HE against a smolensk is hilarious...

Edited by Grapefruitcannon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
147 posts
732 battles

HE is High explosive AP is Armor Piercing, I have found that in cruisers and destroyers HE is best, you gotta play around and find out which works fr you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
Guest
0 posts

Don't completely ignore the HE, while Thunderer is optmized around its AP, shells, the HE is still a very viable dmg dealer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,922
[KSC]
Clan Supertest Coordinator
5,119 posts
7,955 battles
7 hours ago, Burnsy said:

Thunderer is ALL about the AP. 

She doesn't really have enough barrels for HE to be her strong point.

6 hours ago, clammboy said:

Don't use HE with Thunderer unless you have to her AP is great and she's accurate don't play her like a Conq . 

AP should be prioritized when applicable...but please don't be like the Thunderer I had in a match the other day that kited two Yamatos across the map, refused to load HE, and anemically bounced AP off the Yamatos' bows to no great effect.  

The Thunderer still has the single best HE shell in the game with a 63% fire chance and high alpha, coupled with the Thunderer's good accuracy and improve reload it's no slouch at melting BBs if it needs to.

Edited by yashma
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
281
[HSD]
Members
703 posts
12,349 battles

Thunderer uses both HE and AP as the situation demands.

Broadside targets and/or frequent cruisers popping up to be shot at? Use AP

Bow on BBs that are not going to be shifted anytime soon? Use HE, you can still comfortably rip up to 10k off a near fresh bow on BB. Plus setting fires.

Bonus if you know you are going to be shooting at a Smolensk the HE will wreck it, AP has a tendency to go straight through, HE wont.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,178
[5BS]
Banned
8,864 posts
8 hours ago, crazyferret23777 said:

Does it have that awful short fuse AP that the conq has which is terrible against other BB's

Everything about this sentence confuses me. RN AP is awesome and a hidden gem of the line that goes overlooked much of the time.

As far as Thunderer goes, it's AP is amazing, and other than the lack of overmatch, frankly compares favorably to every AP in the entire game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
649
[NUWES]
Members
3,120 posts
10,636 battles
3 hours ago, wolfman757 said:

HE is High explosive AP is Armor Piercing, I have found that in cruisers and destroyers HE is best, you gotta play around and find out which works fr you

I disagree on cruisers. They are very vulnerable to Thunderer's huge AP shells and unlike most BBs Thunderer has the accuracy to hit them. Hitting them with HE is just doing them favors by not killing them and doing damage that they can more easily heal. Smolensk is about the only exception I can think of because its strange armor scheme (which will generate overpens and tend to prevent BBs from citadeling) and very low hp. Just yesterday I was in DM and got hit by a Thunderer at 14km that I didn't know was there. I'm guessing he had HE in the barrels so that is what he fired. It took about 1/4 of my health and damaged my "B" turret but I just had to laugh. That was a lot better than the dead that I would have been if he hit me with AP. Hitting cruisers with HE when you could likely citadel them with AP (or at least pen them with AP) is doing them a favor. Obviously, if you have HE loaded you take the shot with what you have, but the point of Thunderer's huge guns is to generate citadels with AP. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
458
[KMS]
[KMS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,551 posts
11,708 battles

I play mine HE at range and closer ..switching to AP for broadsides.  It just can't take hits like the others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
458
[KMS]
[KMS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,551 posts
11,708 battles
13 minutes ago, Tzarevitch said:

I disagree on cruisers. They are very vulnerable to Thunderer's huge AP shells and unlike most BBs Thunderer has the accuracy to hit them. Hitting them with HE is just doing them favors by not killing them and doing damage that they can more easily heal. Smolensk is about the only exception I can think of because its strange armor scheme (which will generate overpens and tend to prevent BBs from citadeling) and very low hp. Just yesterday I was in DM and got hit by a Thunderer at 14km that I didn't know was there. I'm guessing he had HE in the barrels so that is what he fired. It took about 1/4 of my health and damaged my "B" turret but I just had to laugh. That was a lot better than the dead that I would have been if he hit me with AP. Hitting cruisers with HE when you could likely citadel them with AP (or at least pen them with AP) is doing them a favor. Obviously, if you have HE loaded you take the shot with what you have, but the point of Thunderer's huge guns is to generate citadels with AP. 

 IFHE would have probably wrecked ya. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
649
[NUWES]
Members
3,120 posts
10,636 battles
54 minutes ago, Nachoo31 said:

 IFHE would have probably wrecked ya. 

Probably. But AP would actually have killed me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,705
[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
3,561 posts
11,136 battles
2 hours ago, yashma said:

AP should be prioritized when applicable...but please don't be like the Thunderer I had in a match the other day that kited two Yamatos across the map, refused to load HE, and anemically bounced AP off the Yamatos' bows to no great effect.  

The Thunderer still has the single best HE shell in the game with a 63% fire chance and high alpha, coupled with the Thunderer's good accuracy and improve reload it's no slouch at melting BBs if it needs to.

Sorry your right I should have specified when to use HE . I really meant it’s not a HE ship first like the Conqueror ..  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,589
Members
6,621 posts
20,586 battles

These people not using HE are out of their minds. Use it non stop. it hits like a truck, at 63% fire chance it does more than just sets fires, it keeps other ships either detected longer or out of the fight for fear of more fires.

My damage numbers and wr are off the charts compared to any of my other ships.

I think I am at 130k per game and rising. Only reason it's that low was my first 5 or 6 games. I can't remember my last game under 150k.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,589
Members
6,621 posts
20,586 battles
51 minutes ago, clammboy said:

Sorry your right I should have specified when to use HE . I really meant it’s not a HE ship first like the Conqueror ..  

it's got like a 30% higher fire chance per shell than the conq.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,705
[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
3,561 posts
11,136 battles
2 minutes ago, Waxing_Gibbous said:

it's got like a 30% higher fire chance per shell than the conq.

Yea but it only has 8 guns and isn't it AP way better than the Conq ?

Edited by clammboy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,589
Members
6,621 posts
20,586 battles
4 minutes ago, clammboy said:

Yea but it only has 8 guns and isn't it AP way better than the Conq ?

The issue isn't whether it' AP is better, any BB that gets a broadside shot is going to nuke it's target assuming it aimed well. So it's AP is the same as all other or worse than yammi and Kremlin. It's only real AP advantage is its detection, it may get closer for a better shot but it's AP is the same as all others.... give or take.

The HE at 63% is ludicrous. I have set as many fires in this thing as I have in a Zao, while also hitting for 8-15k.  Plus when that enemy dd pops up at 7k..... HE is an auto delete. Assuming you get good players on the enemy team.... HE is your only option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
186
[ARGSY]
Members
449 posts
9,078 battles

Just got her myself and find that both rounds are great and useful. My damage output is still a bit low as I figure out the best ranges and situations for her. But I do like her. My first tier X BB and I am doing OK.  Was being chased by a Yami and she never gave me anything but bow on. Switched to HE and just burnt her down. Slow but sure. Never gave my broadside either. Ship turns very well so it is easy to kite a bb. Low concealment so you can go dark and wait for someone to give you a shot where you cant miss. Then go dark again. if you can't go dark, then you are too close and in trouble. 

Edited by handybilly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×