You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
USSCurtis

Silly noobish selfish question about your opinion on boats to get

22 comments in this topic

Members
193 posts
9,200 battles

Silly noobish selfish question: I have 19.3 credits, which very rare to have that much. I have unlocked the following boats and their modules:

Amagi

Monarch

Bismarck

Richelieu 

Charles Martel

Seattle

Ibuki

I have the Fletcher, Buffalo, Roon, N. Carolina and most other tier 8 non-cv ships. I know this is an unanswerable question (“it depends, etc”.), but what boat would you choose to purchase next and why? I don’t like to brawl as a primary tactic unless the ship requires it (got pretty tired of that by Gneis. ), to arcade-like. Still, given the diversity of play styles out there, I would like to hear what you would purchase first. I am at about 180k xp in Buffalo. Should I be disciplined and hold out for the Des Moines, which would be my first T10?

Thank you

[PVE]
Members
19,848 posts
12,027 battles
44 minutes ago, USSCurtis said:

Silly noobish selfish question: I have 19.3 credits, which very rare to have that much. I have unlocked the following boats and their modules:

Amagi

Monarch

Bismarck

Richelieu 

Charles Martel

Seattle

Ibuki

I have the Fletcher, Buffalo, Roon, N. Carolina and most other tier 8 non-cv ships. I know this is an unanswerable question (“it depends, etc”.), but what boat would you choose to purchase next and why? I don’t like to brawl as a primary tactic unless the ship requires it (got pretty tired of that by Gneis. ), to arcade-like. Still, given the diversity of play styles out there, I would like to hear what you would purchase first. I am at about 180k xp in Buffalo. Should I be disciplined and hold out for the Des Moines, which would be my first T10?

Thank you

For me, Monarch or Charles Martel as I have the others already.

For which is better or that you should get, it depends, etc, etc, etc. :Smile_teethhappy:

[WORX]
Members
10,694 posts
18,577 battles
48 minutes ago, USSCurtis said:

but what boat would you choose to purchase next and why?

After tier 8???? None or no ship that is tech three ship from tiers 9 or 10...

Now, if you love the play style of high tier (I dont)... then I suggest the plentiful premiums ships in those tiers...

If you know what you like to play and there is a ship in the mid tiers that fits your liking... I dont see any reason to tier up... Well maybe to finish CM quicker but that to me is not a reason.

[CAST]
[CAST]
Members
2,609 posts
10,459 battles

If you want a T10 and like the US heavy cruiser play, wait and get the Des Moines.  It is a great ship. 

[WOLFG]
Members
29,087 posts
8,332 battles

Amagi is sex on a hull.....

• Cool 1

Members
3,077 posts
15,941 battles

You're going to need more than 19.3 credits. Even for a tier 1 ship.  

• Funny 2

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,431 posts
14,165 battles

You are more of a cruiser and DD player with a slight lead in cruisers so I would suggest the Charles Martel.

Edit: If you have to buy all the modules that will pretty much eat up all of those credits.

Edited by BrushWolf

[CK5]
Members
1,374 posts
14,359 battles

Bismarck is a brawler, so based on your comments, probably not a good choice.  Ibuki and Seattle are very unpopular ships among many players.  They are very fragile for T9 and difficult to play well according to many (I have both and don't find the Ibuki as bad as many claim, but the Seattle deserves its bad reputation).  Of the rest, the Amagi might be the best.  The guns and armor are decent and seems to have a good reputation.,  

• Cool 1

Members
6,621 posts
20,658 battles

I would go with Seattle, but you need at a minimum a 14pt captain for IFHE, and more credits to buy all the modules, probably like 25mill. But it is strong in a multitude of scenarios. the others are more one hit wonders and very dependent. The Seattle can create dependencies the others rely on. 

• Confused 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,431 posts
14,165 battles
10 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

He needs about that much for the modules so he would have to run with empty slots for awhile.

Members
193 posts
9,200 battles
20 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

Wasn’t it confusion about units that ultimately brought down the Challenger? 19.3 vs 19.3 million is a big difference. I’ll fire myself.

[ISGC]
Members
138 posts
17,561 battles

all viable except the bis since its a brawler. my suggestion tho is to grind more credits before doing anything. you'll use up almost all of those buying and upgrading the ship. i think if you can get 5-10m more would be a good buffer. especially if you intend on playing the ship a bunch since the costs add up quickly (especially if you get wrecked early/do poorly, and lose credits)

[WPORT]
Members
5,502 posts
10,527 battles

I like the Charles Martel, Tier-8 French Cruiser.

She's got decent gun accuracy.  She can HE-spam, too, with the reload-booster consumable activated.
She handles smartly (I've got both rudder-shift upgrades installed).  She can go fast with the speed-boost, too.
Has the consumables for DD hunting and to help with AA duty.
Equipped with Torpedoes?  Yep.  
Armor?  Well, she is a cruiser.

Bottom line?  She's a versatile "bote".

She's within your budget to purchase and equip, too.

This isn't to say the other ships aren't worth your time or money.  I've got Bismarck, too, but you stated that you prefer not to brawl.

• Cool 2

[WOOK3]
Members
4,214 posts
3,235 battles
33 minutes ago, USSCurtis said:

Wasn’t it confusion about units that ultimately brought down the Challenger? 19.3 vs 19.3 million is a big difference. I’ll fire myself.

Mars Climate Orbiter crashed because the JPL used metric and Lockheed Martin used Imperial. And someone didn't convert.

Challenger was due to faulty o-rings on the boosters

[WOLFD]
Members
82 posts
6,791 battles

I would definitely vote for Amagi. Speed to get you out of trouble, faster than you got into it. Guns that are accurate, and pack enough punch to be dangerous to any ship you will encounter in randoms. Armor that is capable of trolling other BB's when properly angled. The IJN BB line was the first one I ground all the way to T10 in. Yamato is nice, but Amagi still stands out as real jewel in that line. Have been contemplating buying her back simply because it is able to do so many thing well. 

[RBMK2]
[RBMK2]
Members
502 posts
11,337 battles
3 hours ago, Wombatmetal said:

Mars Climate Orbiter crashed because the JPL used metric and Lockheed Martin used Imperial. And someone didn't convert.

Challenger's O-Rings were a poor design for a Critical-1 component. But Challenger blew up because NASA leadership bowed to pressure to launch and ignored recommendations from multiple component contractors. They pushed a launch in near freezing conditions, ignoring several flight rules.

It was a people failure more than a parts failure. 

[D3BT]
Members
371 posts
6,199 battles
2 hours ago, Wombatmetal said:

The o-rings weren't faulty, the parameters on launch day put them in too cold an environment to seal properly. They couldn't hold against the internal solid-fuel burn pressure and eroded slightly, letting jets of burning exhaust escape out the sides. Unfortunately, one of the jets was aimed (like a cutting torch) right at one of the lower locating strut links holding the starboard booster to the main fuel tank (center). Guess what the nose cone of that booster rotated into once freed, gashing it nicely for all contents (highly flammable, lightly pressurized) to spew out of? And that ensuing fireball was the beginning of the end. Unfortunately, the shuttle also hit an extraordinarily strong jetstream event at 50,000 ft altitude resulting in 20 G side forces that tore the whole weakened, burning shuttle/booster/main tank assembly further apart, completely wrecking the shuttle itself in the process. The whole assembly was only designed to encounter 5G side forces during ascent. The crew cabin was one the things left wholly intact, and free-fall trajectoried for almost three minutes (impacting the ocean at over 200 G's, non-survivable). There were no ejection mechanisms incorporated into the shuttle crew module design at the time.

The head engineer for Thiokol (the o-ring manufacturer) was present, and was even asked by NASA about the viability of launching in those freezing temps (there were icicles on the shuttle). He said no, they shouldn't launch because his company couldn't guarantee the o-rings outside of the engineering parameters they were designed for. NASA executives launched anyways knowing this, probably taking an initial gamble (probably fairly safe at the time) so that they didn't have to reschedule months later. As the mission progressed, cameras caught several puffs of smoke that turned into escaping jets of burning exhaust (within a minute). NASA was completely aware of this unfolding predicament and took another gamble by letting the mission continue, in hopes of a successful ATO abort (Abort To Orbit, the shuttle control panel switch was found to have been set to this). There was a good chance the shuttle could still achieve orbit, even if the boosters were failing (just not tearing into the center tank). It was later determined all shuttle main engines (not solid boosters) were functioning correctly until starved of the leaking liquid hydrogen fuel from the main central tank 72 seconds later. Unfortunately this second gamble didn't work out well due to that single inward-pointing jet of escaping exhaust gas acting like a cutting torch on that crucial strut, dooming the entire crew. Had this jet only been aimed away from the center tank, they could have made an Intact Abort by jettisoning all tanks and boosters and attempting a controlled glide back to earth, in some cases even returning right back to the Kennedy Space Center.

[-GOD-]
[-GOD-]
Members
1,189 posts
8 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

You are more of a cruiser and DD player with a slight lead in cruisers so I would suggest the Charles Martel.

Edit: If you have to buy all the modules that will pretty much eat up all of those credits.

This, Charlie Marty is like Fred Astaire with a flamethrower.

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,431 posts
14,165 battles
1 hour ago, bosco1111 said:

This, Charlie Marty is like Fred Astaire with a flamethrower.

That presents quite the picture and don't forget that her AP can penetrate same and lower tier BB's. People tend to forget that about the CA's.

[FML]
Members
3,942 posts
15,503 battles
10 hours ago, STINKWEED_ said:

T1 ships cost 0 credits. And fitting modules on them is lame seal clubbing!!! ;-)

More seriously, OP, of your list I enjoyed the Charles Martel. It’s very strong for its tier, more like a T8.5, and it’s a long range fire spammer with the burst capability to get up closer late battle. Sadly, they recently nerfed the Henri, but it’s still a strong line. Good luck!

Members
833 posts
4,679 battles

Bismarck is the high point of the German BB line. Very fun ship if you set it up & play it right.

Richelieiu is a good ship but an odd one due to it's turret location. Seattle is a godawful ship until you upgrade it and even then it's pretty mediocre while the Ibuki is a decent long range HE spammer but it's very vulnerable.