You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
CremeFraiche1

Huge Tip for DD players. Its astonishing that so many don't know this trick...

51 comments in this topic

Members
27 posts
647 battles

Press "P" at the start of the battle. 

When your AA is turned on, your pretty much screaming at me and waving a billboard the size of Nebraska saying "HEY CV, I'M OVER HERE! COME AND KILL ME".

Just saying...

• Cool 7
  • Funny 4
  • Confused 1
  • Boring 8

[WORX]
Members
10,707 posts
18,582 battles

Planes move faster then ships... A CV can do a simple search pattern to find you... It doesn't take a long for a determine CV driver to find a DD...

It really doesn't matter what a low AA DD does in a CV match... If he wants you sunk even if you're not a priority target, he will harass that DD..

All because he can, and as some pointed out.. Its an easy kill...

• Cool 10
  • Boring 1

[INTEL]
Members
13,073 posts
36,078 battles

I know an even better trick: stop playing DD, curtailing playing time, and stop spending. 

How I long for the days when I could knife fight in caps in a DD....

• Cool 6
  • Confused 1
  • Boring 5

[KAPPA]
Members
3,110 posts
8,239 battles
50 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

Planes move faster then ships... A CV can do a simple search pattern to find you... It doesn't take a long for a determine CV driver to find a DD...

It really doesn't matter what a low AA DD does in a CV match... If he wants you sunk even if you're not a priority target, he will harass that DD..

All because he can, and as some pointed out.. Its an easy kill...

Which not only doesn't change that turning off AA will vastly improve your odds of surviving that hunt, but it also doesn't change that wasting that stubborn CV's time by forcing them to try and find you is quite valuable in of itself. And, if the CV gets slightly close, hey, you have smoke.

You don't have to kill a ship to impact a game. Just look to that single cruiser/BB that leads an entire flank on a pointless chase. By simply not dying, that ship is improving their team's chances of securing a win. And, even if they do die, they've left those reds with their guns pointed the wrong way.

• Cool 1

Members
5,365 posts
Just now, Shoggoth_pinup said:

Which not only doesn't change that turning off AA will vastly improve your odds of surviving that hunt, but it also doesn't change that wasting that stubborn CV's time by forcing them to try and find you is quite valuable in of itself. And, if the CV gets slightly close, hey, you have smoke.

You don't have to kill a ship to impact a game. Just look to that single cruiser/BB that leads an entire flank on a pointless chase. By simply not dying, that ship is improving their team's chances of securing a win. And, even if they do die, they've left those reds with their guns pointed the wrong way.

Yeah, hitting P makes it a lot harder to find that DD.  Doesn't mean I can't, but it takes more time, and time wasted finding the DD could be important later.

Don't just shrug it off because if given enough time you will very likely be found.   That's fuzzy thinking.  Giving away your position easily when you don't have to is a mistake.

On the other hand, sometimes you guess right, or get lucky, and practically run over the top of a DD trying to hide.  Then you drop a fighter on top of him so people see him.  If your team is even halfway competent, I just have to reveal him, not necessarily attack him, if I don't have the right ordnance, or I have another target that needs attention.

[USCC2]
Members
6,060 posts

Good advice OP, but lets face it, people still find it hard to use the WASD keys and look at all the things that were brought in to help them:

Situational awareness for all, spotters, fighters,  more spotters captain skill, vigilance, hydro, rpf, torpedo belt protection, radar, change in bloom effect, change in torpedo speed and spotting, change in flooding - hell, change to some torpedo boat lines making what were torp boats like the Minekaze a gun boat.

Maybe some DD players were hoping for similar help :Smile_trollface: - remember the change to the AP double tap issue only took around a year.

Yet when CVs first came out and could attack all ships well, WG had to issue 2 additional patches - That ended up making the worst surviving ship (DD), the only real viable target that the most powerful ships on the seas (CVs) could attack well. WG literally affected 2 other lines because of issues with one. Next, that pesky fire!:Smile_teethhappy:

I feel pretty good in my BB, maybe DD players thought they could get the same? Silly people! BBs are what bring most people to WoWs! People = money; don't mess with the money! :Smile_honoring:

Edited by _WaveRider_

[KAPPA]
Members
3,110 posts
8,239 battles
3 minutes ago, MichiganEagle said:

It is not obvious at all to players new to WoW which keys do what. 

Learning what keys do is as simple as looking at the options menu. 

Members
404 posts
3,852 battles
5 minutes ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

That's nice. This is what I see when I open settings. Where does it say what "p" does, what "b" does, etc? Is there a different area to learn this stuff that I don't know about?

WoWMenu.thumb.JPG.0ed25ab8aabeff04373f7545ff81515b.JPG

Not looking to pick a fight, but it really isn't easy. I learned mostly by asking nicely in game chat and getting answers that way. No one is going to figure out how the site works or stick with the game if all they are going to get in response is, "Your an idiot and should uninstall the game." Not saying that that's what you're doing in your response to me, but I've seen it way, way too often.

• Cool 1

[FG]
Members
566 posts
4,799 battles

Let's be honest, there is a lot that the game never teaches new players. 

This also isn't usually an issue until the later tiers when DDs get the longer range DP AA mounts. 

[TOAST]
[TOAST]
Members
1,444 posts
10,195 battles

Because having to save your smoke just for CV is fun and engaging. Then they can drop a fighter and spot you anyways because smoke clouds are torpedo magnets. But hey, you can always just wait in your smoke...until it runs out. But wait... you're in a USN DD that isn't the KIDD. You can pop defensive AA and maybe shoot down a plane or two RNG permitting. But wait some more your AA is garbage and you can only maintain top speed in a straight line, so you get dumped on for the 2nd and 3rd run. But hold on, instead of being a decent DD and doing what you're expected to you stay near your AA ships...and get dumped on anyways for half or HP.

• Cool 2

[SYN]
Members
3,685 posts
22,468 battles

Actually hitting P is only useful for DDs where their spotting distances are lower than their AA envelope.

A lot of DDs have spotting distances greater or almost equal to their AA envelope and in which case it is better to leave AA turned on because they are spotted anyway.

• Cool 2

Members
469 posts
4,399 battles

the sad moment when you realise  DDs best defence vs air is to disable their AA :Smile_hiding:

Edited by pepe_trueno
  • Cool 3

[WOLF4]
[WOLF4]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
826 posts
12,656 battles
1 hour ago, MichiganEagle said:

That's nice. This is what I see when I open settings. Where does it say what "p" does, what "b" does, etc? Is there a different area to learn this stuff that I don't know about?

WoWMenu.thumb.JPG.0ed25ab8aabeff04373f7545ff81515b.JPG

Not looking to pick a fight, but it really isn't easy. I learned mostly by asking nicely in game chat and getting answers that way. No one is going to figure out how the site works or stick with the game if all they are going to get in response is, "Your an idiot and should uninstall the game." Not saying that that's what you're doing in your response to me, but I've seen it way, way too often.

Did you happen to try scrolling through the Controls list? Both are listed, as well as just about every other keybinding.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[GLF]
Members
23 posts
22,821 battles

If I am in  T8 DD in match against T6 carrier I turn AA on.  Lots of fun , particularly when the cv driver decides his losses are too high and goes harassing elsewhere. 

Also check out the DD AA is overpowered post below.

[WOLFG]
Members
29,104 posts
8,332 battles
11 hours ago, Navalpride33 said:

It doesn't take a long for a determine CV driver to find a DD...

It doesn't take long for a couple nearby CAs to start dropping planes either. That 3km spotting difference between shooting and not shooting is where you find out just how determined they are.

Some CV players are so determined that they will burn a whole squadron just to fire one plane's worth of rockets at a DD.

Yes, planes are faster than DDs, but doubling the range at which a DD is spotted far more than doubles the size of the circle a plane has to fly through to spot it.

[WORX]
Members
10,707 posts
18,582 battles
2 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

It doesn't take long for a couple nearby CAs to start dropping planes either.

Tier 4 and 5 CAs, TX have better AA then any cruiser.

The only way to not to get killed by plane harassment, is having the fastest DD in the tier.. Other then that, there is no viable and sustainable counter to being harassed by a determined CV player.

This goes for all ship classes with low AA... DDs are the must "easy" kill for CVs. They will abandon or not play the mode in order to get that DD over the win...

I see an issue with that because you're suppose to play the game mode... Not picking off east pray targets and then complain in the forums of losing...

Well that is IMO anyway...

[SBS]
Members
5,908 posts
12 hours ago, CremeFraiche1 said:

When your AA is turned on, your pretty much screaming at me and waving a billboard the size of Nebraska saying "HEY CV, I'M OVER HERE! COME AND KILL ME".

Just saying...

To be fair to DD players most of them are well aware of turning off the AA.  Its the dolt BB main that jumps in one of the DDs he got in the early unlock create and he doesn't even know you can turn AA off.  These are the guys giving "DD players" a bad name. 

10 hours ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

Actually, its right on the screen, bottom, center left is the UI for AA and the "P" key is shown there.

Edited by Slimeball91

[TDRB]
Members
5,142 posts
13,741 battles
12 hours ago, CremeFraiche1 said:

Just saying...

I would say most everyone knows about turning AA/secondaries on/off by pressing "P".

This does work well in coops but seasoned players know how to target hiding ships in PVP battle modes. I've seen many DD players say it is dangerous to hide in smoke. 

Edited by kgh52

Members
404 posts
3,852 battles
9 hours ago, _GreyBeard_ said:

Did you happen to try scrolling through the Controls list? Both are listed, as well as just about every other keybinding.

No! I've had that screen open I-don't-know-how-many-times but have never noticed the scroll bar. Thank you, kindly.

[PULSE]
Members
8 posts
8,909 battles

Try turning on the tooltips at the beginning of a match, one of the tips it gives is to reduce the chance of being spotted by turning off AA/Secondaries.

[AN2AC]
Members
110 posts
8,290 battles
2 hours ago, MichiganEagle said:

No! I've had that screen open I-don't-know-how-many-times but have never noticed the scroll bar. Thank you, kindly.

it took me a year to figure that out... its not that clear to be honest.

Members
404 posts
3,852 battles
1 hour ago, Otago_F111 said:

it took me a year to figure that out... its not that clear to be honest.

Knew it couldn't be just me.

[-VT-]
Members
857 posts
25,396 battles
14 hours ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

Didn't know there was a option menu for the first six months I played