Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Destroyer_KuroshioKai

Lessons on Controlling your Battleships Position to Win Map Control

6 comments in this topic

[CVLUL]
WoWS Community Contributors
3,416 posts
13,429 battles

This video I make a strong push with an allied Thunderer across the south of Tears of the Desert.  At times we are out numbered and it looks like we might get focus fired.  I run through the basics of positioning, being ready to kite if the fire gets too hot, using your consumables smartly to keep your HP up the best you can (that is not waiting till you can get a full use out of the repair necessarily), and exploiting situations where you can tank the enemy team.  In this case the enemy Kurfurst and Montana are close enough together I can push up staying just outside GK's secondary range if hes running the meme build, and use their lack of cross fire to walk right into cross shots into the middle of the map.  My advancing position combined with my teams other BBs in the North give us excellent cross fire all over the Epi-Center forcing the enemy to abandon most of the map to us due to unacceptable risk to their ships.

This sort of intelligent use of aggression is how BBs can swing games quickly into a teams favor.  If my aim hadn't been so trash this would have been an amazing game.  

Hopefully this video can give BB players an idea on how to balance playing safe enough with having an impact on the game via position and damage.  To note I do think I played this a bit too safe remaining a bit too far out from targets once the reds in the South starts collapsing.  Let me know what you think.  Is this a useful video for BB mains?

• Cool 3

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
3,563 posts
11,136 battles

Thanks for the video I just want to say that for me the Republic has some bad dispersion . I’m not good but I have a lot of trouble consistently  hitting things at long range with that ship . I am trying to get the UU reload booster before the changes to get it come down . So I have been playing it a lot I find it a frustrating ship to play . With that being said after watching your BB videos I have worked on not over extending and working on cross fire angles and I’ve had some nice win streaks lately . Doing a little less damage but staying alive more and winning . 

[THOR]
Members
460 posts
6,073 battles

Thanks Kuro for the movie. Nice to see a visual on map positioning. Now I see the importance of angles in a battle.

Members
3,582 posts
12,928 battles
18 hours ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

This video I make a strong push with an allied Thunderer across the south of Tears of the Desert.  At times we are out numbered and it looks like we might get focus fired.  I run through the basics of positioning, being ready to kite if the fire gets too hot, using your consumables smartly to keep your HP up the best you can (that is not waiting till you can get a full use out of the repair necessarily), and exploiting situations where you can tank the enemy team.  In this case the enemy Kurfurst and Montana are close enough together I can push up staying just outside GK's secondary range if hes running the meme build, and use their lack of cross fire to walk right into cross shots into the middle of the map.  My advancing position combined with my teams other BBs in the North give us excellent cross fire all over the Epi-Center forcing the enemy to abandon most of the map to us due to unacceptable risk to their ships.

This sort of intelligent use of aggression is how BBs can swing games quickly into a teams favor.  If my aim hadn't been so trash this would have been an amazing game.  

Hopefully this video can give BB players an idea on how to balance playing safe enough with having an impact on the game via position and damage.  To note I do think I played this a bit too safe remaining a bit too far out from targets once the reds in the South starts collapsing.  Let me know what you think.  Is this a useful video for BB mains?

I dont know if this highlights your individual map control, but it's a good demonstration on how a team controls the map. From both your starting sides protecting the far flanks, your inside cruisers providing radar/fire for your dd on the inside. It also demonstrates what happens when you lose a dd early and have no other dd/or possibly  cruiser willing to spot. The enemy DD dieing that early immediately put that enemy team on the defensive, as your flank now had complete vision control. Your team's DD also played intelligently, he didnt immediately yolo himself into the enemy after killing the DD but instead played it smart. He kept an eye on the positions of the radar cruiser and was positioned (angled away) to disengage if needed. You could of played it more aggressively, but I think the outcome of that game was pretty apparent relatively quickly. 

As far as your aim goes, it's better than most who post on this forum. The majority of the playerbase in general struggles to get 100k in any ship even at T10. Your "bad" aim still was far more sufficient than most players. 

• Cool 1

[CVLUL]
WoWS Community Contributors
3,416 posts
13,429 battles
2 minutes ago, Rollingonit said:

I dont know if this highlights your individual map control, but it's a good demonstration on how a team controls the map. From both your starting sides protecting the far flanks, your inside cruisers providing radar/fire for your dd on the inside. It also demonstrates what happens when you lose a dd early and have no other dd/or possibly  cruiser willing to spot. The enemy DD dieing that early immediately put that enemy team on the defensive, as your flank now had complete vision control. Your team's DD also played intelligently, he didnt immediately yolo himself into the enemy after killing the DD but instead played it smart. He kept an eye on the positions of the radar cruiser and was positioned (angled away) to disengage if needed. You could of played it more aggressively, but I think the outcome of that game was pretty apparent relatively quickly. 

As far as your aim goes, it's better than most who post on this forum. The majority of the playerbase in general struggles to get 100k in any ship even at T10. Your "bad" aim still was far more sufficient than most players. 

A common complaint I see is there is no team work in the game.  Playing BB I spend a lot of time during my reloads not just looking at the enemy team seeing where I need to go to get broadside shots, I spend a fair bit looking at AP threat positions on my team.  I can use their position, and where I believe they are heading as a factor in my positioning.  Its no different than me sailing in front of a radar CA in a DD on my way to a cap and dropping a smoke they will have to sail in along their route.

Team work does exist, its just up to you as a player to look at team mates and understand what they are doing and use that to assist you.  I think too many look at it from a you need to do what I want you to perspective and get frustrated they dont for what ever reason.

I appreciate your kind words, but from my perspective my aim is not up to snuff in BBs at long range.  I do point this out because these videos are about learning and getting better.  I would be remiss to not point out my own deficiencies.  This should have been a 200k plus game.

• Cool 1

Members
3,582 posts
12,928 battles
2 minutes ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

A common complaint I see is there is no team work in the game.  Playing BB I spend a lot of time during my reloads not just looking at the enemy team seeing where I need to go to get broadside shots, I spend a fair bit looking at AP threat positions on my team.  I can use their position, and where I believe they are heading as a factor in my positioning.  Its no different than me sailing in front of a radar CA in a DD on my way to a cap and dropping a smoke they will have to sail in along their route.

Team work does exist, its just up to you as a player to look at team mates and understand what they are doing and use that to assist you.  I think too many look at it from a you need to do what I want you to perspective and get frustrated they dont for what ever reason.

I appreciate your kind words, but from my perspective my aim is not up to snuff in BBs at long range.  I do point this out because these videos are about learning and getting better.  I would be remiss to not point out my own deficiencies.  This should have been a 200k plus game.

I agree with you.  I play in the same manner, as a solo only player it is almost necessary. 

Your videos are always helpful. 

Sign in to follow this