You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Wolfswetpaws

I like Takao. :-)

24 comments in this topic

[WPORT]
Members
5,444 posts
10,491 battles

Just like the title says.  I recently acquired Takao and have been sailing her, today.  I like how she behaves.  :-)

[KAPPA]
Members
1,339 posts
7,515 battles

Always been a darn nice cruiser for me. I know many, if not most, people will go on and on about having duplicate ships, but I've got Atago, Atago B, and ARP Takao, not to mention all of the other ARP ships, Tajima (my take on a proper IJN name for Bajie) and Izumo, etc. Even when I haven't gone out of my way to set them up with different builds, it sometimes feels like the clones behave slightly differently or one is more lucky than the others. ARP Takao has been that way for me. Atago's a good ship, but I swear I have better luck when I play Takao, despite them being effectively identical, including the build (which normally I don't do, but for Atago/Takao/Atago B, I made an exception as the build I had for Atago just worked so well). 

[WPORT]
Members
5,444 posts
10,491 battles
9 minutes ago, CaptHarlock_222 said:

Always been a darn nice cruiser for me. I know many, if not most, people will go on and on about having duplicate ships, but I've got Atago, Atago B, and ARP Takao, not to mention all of the other ARP ships, Tajima (my take on a proper IJN name for Bajie) and Izumo, etc. Even when I haven't gone out of my way to set them up with different builds, it sometimes feels like the clones behave slightly differently or one is more lucky than the others. ARP Takao has been that way for me. Atago's a good ship, but I swear I have better luck when I play Takao, despite them being effectively identical, including the build (which normally I don't do, but for Atago/Takao/Atago B, I made an exception as the build I had for Atago just worked so well). 

:cap_like:

[RLGN]
Members
14,297 posts
25,169 battles
27 minutes ago, CaptHarlock_222 said:

Even when I haven't gone out of my way to set them up with different builds, it sometimes feels like the clones behave slightly differently or one is more lucky than the others. ARP Takao has been that way for me. Atago's a good ship, but I swear I have better luck when I play Takao, despite them being effectively identical, including the build (which normally I don't do, but for Atago/Takao/Atago B, I made an exception as the build I had for Atago just worked so well). 

Kongo was terrible on Kongo, but does better on Takao.

Myoko is running Shokaku, (wish I had an ARP Zuikaku captain.)

Ashigara is on Shinonome.

Haruna and Haguro are running the battleships and cruisers everyone ran off and left...

• Cool 1

[LSNB]
Members
1,584 posts
4,409 battles

The biggest Tsundere Heavy Cruiser. It has become a moniker among the other ships.

2 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

everyone ran off and left...

What they chose to do with their newfound freedom after the war

[BIER]
Members
463 posts
6,918 battles

I just want to take the girls out back and cut their throats. Or at least get them to smoke VAST quantities of pot so they don't sound like Freddy Krueger dragging his claws down a slate blackboard.

Their voices are INCREDIBLY annoying.  Who was the idiot that thought older men want to hear tween girls shriek in their ears for 20 minutes?

• Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[WPORT]
Members
5,444 posts
10,491 battles
8 hours ago, LAnybody said:

I just want to take the girls out back and cut their throats. Or at least get them to smoke VAST quantities of pot so they don't sound like Freddy Krueger dragging his claws down a slate blackboard.

Their voices are INCREDIBLY annoying.  Who was the idiot that thought older men want to hear tween girls shriek in their ears for 20 minutes?

Are you aware that the audio settings menu can provide the options you seem to be looking for?
Who was the idiot that thought they couldn't change the voice-over settings to avoid listening to the wonderful renditions of anime' awesomeness?  :-)

[BIER]
Members
463 posts
6,918 battles
On 2/5/2020 at 10:18 AM, Wolfswetpaws said:

Are you aware that the audio settings menu can provide the options you seem to be looking for?
Who was the idiot that thought they couldn't change the voice-over settings to avoid listening to the wonderful renditions of anime' awesomeness?  :-)

yeah, that's not a solution. It means every time I go to plan one of these ships, I have to remember to go to audio setting and change it, then change it back for all other ships I play. That's an incredibly broken User Experience. 

A checkbox per ship would have been a better solution. Having to constantly tweak global settings is NOT a solution.

That's as much a "solution" as the doctor who says "well, don't do that then" when asked why something hurts when it's done.

[WPORT]
Members
5,444 posts
10,491 battles

I suppose you'll set all your ships to listen to The Mighty Jingles, then.  :-)

[REWR]
Members
9 posts
5,604 battles

I truly enjoy Takao. The recent improvements have made her even better!

Note to LAnybody: at least one (Kongo) is far from a shrieker, in fact her voice is rather sultry. I love how she mocks ships after sinking them ;)  Hiei also has a sound, mature voice. Granted though, some of them are on the annoying side, like Ashigara :D

Edited by CreekMan

[ARS]
Beta Testers
4,629 posts
4,997 battles
On 2/18/2020 at 3:09 AM, LAnybody said:

yeah, that's not a solution. It means every time I go to plan one of these ships, I have to remember to go to audio setting and change it, then change it back for all other ships I play. That's an incredibly broken User Experience. 

A checkbox per ship would have been a better solution. Having to constantly tweak global settings is NOT a solution.

That's as much a "solution" as the doctor who says "well, don't do that then" when asked why something hurts when it's done.

No, you can set it so just the anime voices are blocked.

• Cool 1

[BIER]
Members
463 posts
6,918 battles
On 3/1/2020 at 7:51 AM, Helstrem said:

No, you can set it so just the anime voices are blocked.

No, you can't.

Look in the Audio settings, and tell me, where do I set it so that an Anime Captain, regardless of which ship it is on, won't use their annoying voice mod, AND I just stay with the normal voices?  You can't, because such a per-captain setting doesn't exist.

For instance, on my Fubuki, I've got the Ashigara girl.  I get that voice on both the Fubuki and the Ashigara (if I transfer her there).  There's no setting on either that works to suppress her voice. 

At best, I can change ALL ships to use the "National" setting (or similar in the Voiceover Modification drop down), but then I'm stuck with the incredibly annoying voices in each national flavor. Shrieking teenager voice is as annoying as Deep Samurai Voice.  And doing this, I lose any voice modification for any of my other special captains. 

There are only GLOBAL voice settings, and they're woefully inadequate for avoiding the mandatory voice mods that come with special captains.

Edited by LAnybody

[ARS]
Beta Testers
4,629 posts
4,997 battles
1 hour ago, LAnybody said:

No, you can't.

Look in the Audio settings, and tell me, where do I set it so that an Anime Captain, regardless of which ship it is on, won't use their annoying voice mod, AND I just stay with the normal voices?  You can't, because such a per-captain setting doesn't exist.

For instance, on my Fubuki, I've got the Ashigara girl.  I get that voice on both the Fubuki and the Ashigara (if I transfer her there).  There's no setting on either that works to suppress her voice. 

At best, I can change ALL ships to use the "National" setting (or similar in the Voiceover Modification drop down), but then I'm stuck with the incredibly annoying voices in each national flavor. Shrieking teenager voice is as annoying as Deep Samurai Voice.  And doing this, I lose any voice modification for any of my other special captains. 

There are only GLOBAL voice settings, and they're woefully inadequate for avoiding the mandatory voice mods that come with special captains.

Its not in audio settings.  It is the gear icon at the top left of the ship carousel, I've circled it in red on the screenshot I provide here.  In this screen shot note how the ARP Kongo not only switches from its East German Night Club camo to standard IJN camo, but that the commander also changes from the Anime Kongo captain to Shigeru Kinjo, a generic IJN captain, who in battle uses the normal IJN voice. 

DisableAnime.png

[BIER]
Members
463 posts
6,918 battles

And yes, that does appear to work. 

However, that is one of the DUMBEST, most unintuitive, clumsiest ways to do something like this in a UI, and borders on a "go find this .INI file, and change the SuperMikeFoo from 0x5 to 0xA" kind of idiocy.

Especially since toggling that removes all sorts of other things that I *do* want. 

Sigh, UI and UX design have always been WoWS weaknesses.

[WPORT]
Members
5,444 posts
10,491 battles
8 hours ago, LAnybody said:

No, you can't.

I'm gonna provide some screen shots to walk you through a menu option to change the voice-over settings to one that you'll be happy with.  It is in the Audio Settings panel which is accessed from the "In Port" screen by clicking on a set of gears in the upper-left of the screen.

818389060_Settingsinupperleftofportscreen_03-09-2020_.thumb.jpg.8289fd5064ca070cd8bc1cc7b2fd7511.jpg966461742_Settingsbuttonscreenshot_03-09-2020_.thumb.jpg.bb06af0127500b422942a2f311a34bc6.jpg1693091343_Audiosettingspanelscreenshot_03-09-2020_.thumb.jpg.61be029ed11c569fc3eff896d8ae6a1c.jpg840074047_Voice-oversettingsmenuscreenshot_03-09-2020_.thumb.jpg.aea1cbc3feebf358461a6aa809fc0654.jpg

[BIER]
Members
463 posts
6,918 battles
9 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

I'm gonna provide some screen shots to walk you through a menu option to change the voice-over settings to one that you'll be happy with.  It is in the Audio Settings panel which is accessed from the "In Port" screen by clicking on a set of gears in the upper-left of the screen.

Nope.  That solves nothing, and makes it worse. You get BOTH the Anima and the "national flavor" sounds, in japanese, when playing an Anime captain.  And worse, for all other IJN captains, their dialog is now all Japanese.  I've already tried all the Audio settings options, and NONE of them remove the Anime voices, and most just make the situation worse.

@Helstrem has the closest solution, but even there, I lose the camo visuals and the captain icon along with the voices.

It's just bad UI design all around.

[WPORT]
Members
5,444 posts
10,491 battles
2 minutes ago, LAnybody said:

Nope.  That solves nothing, and makes it worse. You get BOTH the Anima and the "national flavor" sounds, in japanese, when playing an Anime captain.  And worse, for all other IJN captains, their dialog is now all Japanese.  I've already tried all the Audio settings options, and NONE of them remove the Anime voices, and most just make the situation worse.

@Helstrem has the closest solution, but even there, I lose the camo visuals and the captain icon along with the voices.

Pick "standard" or "english" or some other option other than National+.  :-)

[ARS]
Beta Testers
4,629 posts
4,997 battles
17 minutes ago, LAnybody said:

Are you trying to get the voices to be normal Japanese, but leave the anime graphics?  I just tested using the National audio setting and it did just that.  Make sure it is just "National" though, not "National voiceover+".

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,626 posts
On 2/1/2020 at 7:31 PM, Wolfswetpaws said:

Just like the title says.  I recently acquired Takao and have been sailing her, today.  I like how she behaves.  :-)

The ARP Takao was my first tier VIII ship and as such I played it to distraction a couple of years ago. I've played it less after obtaining tier X cruisers though. I really should take it out more though as I am constantly seeing players come in on the top of the team in tier X matches with the Takao/Atago. 

[WPORT]
Members
5,444 posts
10,491 battles
1 minute ago, Snargfargle said:

The ARP Takao was my first tier VIII ship and as such I played it to distraction a couple of years ago. I've played it less after obtaining tier X cruisers though. I really should take it out more though as I am constantly seeing players come in on the top of the team in tier X matches with the Takao/Atago. 

:cap_look:

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,626 posts
12 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

:cap_look:

Just took my Takao out. I have no idea how I scored so high on the team with so little damage.

image.thumb.png.d8617a27d046c6a6a72e457c817fb6c5.png

[WPORT]
Members
5,444 posts
10,491 battles

Looks good from here.

Members
260 posts
4,295 battles
On 3/9/2020 at 1:18 PM, LAnybody said:

And yes, that does appear to work. 

However, that is one of the DUMBEST, most unintuitive, clumsiest ways to do something like this in a UI, and borders on a "go find this .INI file, and change the SuperMikeFoo from 0x5 to 0xA" kind of idiocy.

Especially since toggling that removes all sorts of other things that I *do* want. 

Sigh, UI and UX design have always been WoWS weaknesses.

Just bumping this post, and it took me forever to figure out how to turn off those infernal, shrieking anime voices, Ashigura especially... *shudder.*

[WPORT]
Members
5,444 posts
10,491 battles
1 hour ago, old_radagast said:

Just bumping this post, and it took me forever to figure out how to turn off those infernal, shrieking anime voices, Ashigura especially... *shudder.*

:Smile_teethhappy: