You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Shoggoth_pinup

ARP Grind Made Simple

21 comments in this topic

[KAPPA]
Members
3,110 posts
8,239 battles

While I was browsing the forums, I noticed people calling this a hard grind, so figured I'd chip in to give ideas for more efficient grinding. If it's helpful, give it a +1 and I'll do more of these in the future. If it's not, tell me in the comments, saying why.

Stage 1: 50k xp, 15k base xp, and 25 citadel hits (Co-op).

There is little I can say for xp/base xp, as it's not really directly grindable. That said, HE spammers tend to have an easier time at it. Do this in random or operations in ships you are confident you can do work in. T8 is a good sweet spot, as you get more from killing T9-10s if you're good enough.

Edit: That said, you can complete 50k xp using optimal signals/camo/premium time in about 2 wins of Narai if you do fairly well.

25 citadel hits is where things get very tricky potentially. The first thought one jumps to is a BB, but don't. It'll take forever. Instead, take a CL with a fast reload into co-op. Aigle also works. We're talking Worcester, Minotaur, Smolensk, Colbert, etc. Atlanta can also do well, but is harder. Flint/Smolensk would probably be my optimal pick, however. 

Edit: There is also Ryuujou in operations. AP bombs and lacking AA tends towards easy cits.

Edit 2: A reason for this is that ops have more ships, allowing higher damage numbers to be used more consistently, too, as well as lasting longer. When combined with low AA, you can also get all 3 strikes off fairly frequently and lose planes far less.

Edit 3: Ships like Izmail, Aoba, Leander and Aigle can very easily carry an Aegis op if you play your cards right. You need to go north and engage the second wave, however, but it can work quite well. A div of 2-3 largely required to do it without dying, however.

Edit 4: Another ship that can farm cits in Aegis would be Ranger. Little known fact: her HE bombs can cit Kuma through the 40mm part of of the deck

But why them? Well, you see, the smaller your shells, the less damage. This means more citadels, and is why I don't recommend Des Moines and Salem. They do so much damage that you won't get many cits.

Stage 2: 3m credits, 10 wins (Co-op), and 400k damage.

3m credits and 400k damage is straight forward no matter the mode. A case can be made that ops are the best place to farm damage consistently, however. Do the 10 wins in co-op, though.

Stage 3: 10m potential, 15 defend/assist/cap, and 15 kills (Co-op).

10m potential is typically easiest in a BB, and generally best done in random. Bots are both too accurate and too finicky with target selection to attack a BB much. My recommendation is KM, Russian or RN BBs. The former two need to hope AP bombs don't come, the middle needs to not show their side, and the RN BBs need a super heal. Nelson is my pick for this, as lower tiers are less accurate.

Edit: Aegis with a div of 2-3 going north to engage wave 2 can also net good potential.

15 defendeds will be the easiest, but requires CV play and being where you're needed. Otherwise it'll take forever and I recommend a DD with good conceal. Haida would be my pick, but there are many more. 

Edit: If I had to say a tech tree ship, it'd basically sum up as IJN DD, but not T6 or 7. T6-7 DDs have to face T8 DDs with the conceal module.

15 kills I'd recommend co-op. No real easy way if you have morals, but kill-stealing would get it done fast. I'd recommend fast BBs or torpedo DDs, as alpha secures kills so others don't for you.

Stage 4: 30 fires, 30 torps (Co-op), and 100k commander xp.

Here's another tricky set, to a degree. For fires, I recommend thunderer or HE spammers. Audacious is what I'll probably use, however. Most strikes in her start a fire. I'll probably use Thunderer, too, however.

30 torps, well... it may surprise you, but I'd call Kaga the queen of torp hits. I can average 20 torp hits in her per co-op match due to her having enough reserves to field 3 entire squads of 12 torp planes. Other than that, Sims and Benham also come to mind for co-op. The key is having low torp damage but lots of them, that said. It's why Shima sucks for this.

Edit: If I had to say a tech tree ship, it'd be Midway as the top dog if you have the aim. CVs have the advantage here to a degree, both in that bots dodge most torps and their torps do low damage. Combine this with bots always turning away from torps, and you may even land all 6 torps.

Edit 2: Another option that comes to mind is a T6 CV in operations. In Ark Royal, I just got 30+ torp hits. Others could probably land 20+ easy.

Edit 3: Ryuujou can get around 30 torp hits in Killer whale, for instance. Focus the stationary BBs and you'll land plenty. There's also a stationary DD in the first wave outside the base, too. The DD off to the west.

100k commander xp, on the other hand, is a lengthy undertaking in co-op. Do it in random or ops.

Edit: However, xp gain increasers such as signals, premium time and camos can speed it up. This makes Narai complete it in about 4 matches if you do well and don't lose.

Edited by Shoggoth_pinup
  • Cool 2

[SHOOT]
[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
3,755 posts
11,770 battles

I can't help but notice all the ships you listed by name are premiums. It would help if you listed a comparable tech tree counterpart to say Haida or Kaga.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
1,312 posts
7,428 battles

Sure would be nice if WG would let you sell or gift unneeded ships I trimmed my ARP fleet to Takao (love that lol drama queen!) Nachi Kongo and Haruna. Would have gladly given the others away. The spare captains are now in IJN DDs and Amagi....

[HINON]
Members
13,264 posts

For cits just use ryujo AP bombers in the operation of the week. Easy peasy.

• Cool 2

[KAPPA]
Members
3,110 posts
8,239 battles
19 minutes ago, Crokodone said:

I can't help but notice all the ships you listed by name are premiums. It would help if you listed a comparable tech tree counterpart to say Haida or Kaga.

That's mostly due to them being the optimal ship. For torps, there really isn't an optimal tech tree ship, as none tend to suck as much as Sims.

That said, it's why I mentioned the category of ship, too. I'll figure something out.

Thank you for the feedback.

Edited by Shoggoth_pinup

[KAPPA]
Members
3,110 posts
8,239 battles
13 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

That one is mostly due to the same reason I don't recommend Des Moines. Sure, they are good at getting cits, but you need a lot of cits. The lower the damage the better.

Still, thank you for the feedback. I'll keep it in mind.

[HINON]
Members
13,264 posts
11 minutes ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

That one is mostly due to the same reason I don't recommend Des Moines. Sure, they are good at getting cits, but you need a lot of cits. The lower the damage the better.

Still, thank you for the feedback. I'll keep it in mind.

Well with killer whale there is that stationary konig so you can make multiple passed getting multiple cits. Also other bbs spawn in at a standstill so if you have bombers in the right place more free cits. That's why I recommend it for those who know what they are doing. The TB are also excellent. The last run I made with the ryujo netted 31 torp hits in one op. Being a tech tree ship is also more accessible to the playerbase and it's only T6.

• Cool 2

[KAPPA]
Members
3,110 posts
8,239 battles
3 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

Well with killer whale there is that stationary konig so you can make multiple passed getting multiple cits. Also other bbs spawn in at a standstill so if you have bombers in the right place more free cits. That's why I recommend it for those who know what they are doing. The TB are also excellent. The last run I made with the ryujo netted 31 torp hits in one op. Being a tech tree ship is also more accessible to the playerbase and it's only T6.

Noted. Thank you.

[KAPPA]
Members
178 posts
6,476 battles
28 minutes ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

25 citadel hits is where things get very tricky potentially. The first thought one jumps to is a BB, but don't. It'll take forever. Instead, take a CL with a fast reload into co-op. Aigle also works. We're talking Worcester, Minotaur, Smolensk, Colbert, etc. Atlanta can also do well, but is harder. Flint/Smolensk would probably be my optimal pick, however.

But why them? Well, you see, the smaller your shells, the less damage. This means more citadels, and is why I don't recommend Des Moines and Salem. They do so much damage that you won't get many cits.

Wouldn't a better option to be take one of the T6 heavy cruisers into Aegis?  You can always try and get a party together to run it even if it isn't operation of the week.  Probably better to do that anyway.  Both Pensacola and Aoba are pretty good at this, and it's feasible to get 15+ citadels depending upon the enemy spawn fairly consistently.  Two to three games here and you're done.  You do have to take the northerly route instead of the easterly one for optimal angles, but that's the easiest way to farm.  Trento I have had less success with, but more due to not be used to her as much as the other two.

35 minutes ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

10m potential is typically easiest in a BB, and generally best done in random. Bots are both too accurate and too finicky with target selection to attack a BB much. My recommendation is KM, Russian or RN BBs. The former two need to hope AP bombs don't come, the middle needs to not show their side, and the RN BBs need a super heal. Nelson is my pick for this, as lower tiers are less accurate.

If one is familiar with an operation it can work fairly well - again depending on the spawns.  Again, i'll point at Aegis - the northern route is torpedo soup if there is a heavy spawn of 4-5 cruisers, and either in a battleship that can take a few hits or a cruiser with hydro, you'd be able to juke the torpedoes and get their potential damage.  Combine that with being the point ship, and you'll get focused on a lot, so you can pile up potential damage so long as you manage your exposure and ensure you don't get overwhelmed. 

45 minutes ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

30 torps, well... it may surprise you, but I'd call Kaga the queen of torp hits. I can average 20 torp hits in her per co-op match due to her having enough reserves to field 3 entire squads of 12 torp planes. Other than that, Sims and Benham also come to mind for co-op. The key is having low torp damage but lots of them, that said. It's why Shima sucks for this.

Might be decent in coop if you go in at low tier as well with your destroyers.  That way, DDs will be facing more low tier slower battleships that will have a harder time dodging.  It'd take more games using DDs and making runs at full throttle into the cap so as to torp the enemy, but coop games can end quick when everyone is nuked, too.  CVs would be more efficient in operations I feel.

[KAPPA]
Members
3,110 posts
8,239 battles
Just now, red_crested_ibis said:

1: Wouldn't a better option to be take one of the T6 heavy cruisers into Aegis?  You can always try and get a party together to run it even if it isn't operation of the week.  Probably better to do that anyway.  Both Pensacola and Aoba are pretty good at this, and it's feasible to get 15+ citadels depending upon the enemy spawn fairly consistently.  Two to three games here and you're done.  You do have to take the northerly route instead of the easterly one for optimal angles, but that's the easiest way to farm.  Trento I have had less success with, but more due to not be used to her as much as the other two.

If one is familiar with an operation it can work fairly well - again depending on the spawns.  2: Again, i'll point at Aegis - the northern route is torpedo soup if there is a heavy spawn of 4-5 cruisers, and either in a battleship that can take a few hits or a cruiser with hydro, you'd be able to juke the torpedoes and get their potential damage.  Combine that with being the point ship, and you'll get focused on a lot, so you can pile up potential damage so long as you manage your exposure and ensure you don't get overwhelmed. 

Might be decent in coop if you go in at low tier as well with your destroyers.  That way, DDs will be facing more low tier slower battleships that will have a harder time dodging.  It'd take more games using DDs and making runs at full throttle into the cap so as to torp the enemy, but coop games can end quick when everyone is nuked, too.  3: CVs would be more efficient in operations I feel.

1: That requires high skill and teamwork. I struggle to do that even in a 2 man div and I'm not exactly the worst at CA. Still, I'll mention it. Still disagree with Pensa being good at Aegis, that said. :Smile_teethhappy: Aoba has the armor to shatter Kuma's shells, after all.

2: Again, requires a div. Still, I'll mention.

3: Torp hits in ops have been edited in since you started replying. Still, thank you.

[RLGN]
Members
14,304 posts
25,241 battles
2 hours ago, Crokodone said:

2 hours ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

That's mostly due to them being the optimal ship. For torps, there really isn't an optimal tech tree ship, as none tend to suck as much as Sims.

That said, it's why I mentioned the category of ship, too. I'll figure something out.

Thank you for the feedback.

Tech tree ships huh?

Konigsburg, Nurnburg, Emile Bertain, Dallas, Cleveland.

Never have any trouble getting cits in Co-op with those. More trouble just getting into good position.

2 hours ago, RipNuN2 said:

I’d sooner play Ark Royal.

Loved Ryujo back in the day. It was even my go-to carrier for Newport because it had four attack squads.

Too few bombs now, which the idiocy of the 100% manual attack mechanics doesn’t help any.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet
  • Confused 1

[KAPPA]
Members
3,110 posts
8,239 battles
6 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

I’d sooner play Ark Royal.

Loved Ryujo back in the day. It was even my go-to carrier for Newport because it had four attack squads.

To few bombs now, which the idiocy of the 100% manual attack mechanics doesn’t help any.

The issue is Ark isn't gonna land cits. While I agree that Ark is arguably the better ship in ops, for cits she's in last. Even Ranger can cit things like Kuma.

[RLGN]
Members
14,304 posts
25,241 battles
13 minutes ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

The issue is Ark isn't gonna land cits. While I agree that Ark is arguably the better ship in ops, for cits she's in last. Even Ranger can cit things like Kuma.

If it can hit a Kuma, which I would argue is next to impossible with the pathetic number of bombs it, (and Ryujo,) drop per attack, especially considering how bots seem amazingly adept (re: they cheat like hell with unnaturally quick rudder shift,) at deciding to turn at the perfect moment to screw over a player’s bomb drop.

Besides; I wouldn’t play an Op to get citadels anyway. I play Ops to use my carriers without having to deal with the male bovine byproducts that is Randoms.

[WOLF8]
Members
7,344 posts
6,239 battles

This is an excellent and helpful thread. Well done, OP. :Smile_great:

However, at least for myself (I can't speak for others), I still don't think I can get all of the ARP ships from the missions, even if I were to follow this guideline to a T, before the event is over, simply due to lack of time. I only have very limited free time per day, and I can only afford a handful of games per day, which is not gonna help for those XP based missions, especially the base XP one. :Smile_sad:

At first, I thought that all the missions for all the ships were to be made available at the same time, so I thought of still trying to squeeze as much free time as possible... but since that's not the case, and I can only do one ship at a time, it's already over for me. I already crunched some numbers, and by the time the event is over, I'll probably at near completion for Kongo... or maybe just barely get Kongo... and that would be it. At least I think I can manage Hiei, so I guess there's that... lol. :Smile_hiding:

Oh well... I'll still take what I can get... lel. :Smile_hiding:

[KAPPA]
Members
3,110 posts
8,239 battles
24 minutes ago, Blorgh2017 said:

This is an excellent and helpful thread. Well done, OP. :Smile_great:

However, at least for myself (I can't speak for others), I still don't think I can get all of the ARP ships from the missions, even if I were to follow this guideline to a T, before the event is over, simply due to lack of time. I only have very limited free time per day, and I can only afford a handful of games per day, which is not gonna help for those XP based missions, especially the base XP one. :Smile_sad:

At first, I thought that all the missions for all the ships were to be made available at the same time, so I thought of still trying to squeeze as much free time as possible... but since that's not the case, and I can only do one ship at a time, it's already over for me. I already crunched some numbers, and by the time the event is over, I'll probably at near completion for Kongo... or maybe just barely get Kongo... and that would be it. At least I think I can manage Hiei, so I guess there's that... lol. :Smile_hiding:

Oh well... I'll still take what I can get... lel. :Smile_hiding:

With enough xp signals stacked, you can probably get the 50k xp done in 2-3 Narai matches, if that helps. But yeah, the base xp is always the hard part of this stuff.

[BEA5T]
[BEA5T]
Members
378 posts
14,411 battles

In Killer Whale Ark Royal is good for getting battle damage between 100-150K as well as 1000 + XP per game  with 30 + torp hits.  ( if you do decent)  

Don't worry about sinking ships... just get the torp hits   ( you team mates should be able to finish them off ) 

Edited by Noworriesderpy1
none

[SHOOT]
[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
3,755 posts
11,770 battles
1 hour ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Tech tree ships huh

Op listed premium destroyers and carriers; t7 and 8. I was asking him for counterparts he thought comparable to Haida, Sims and Kaga.

Cruiser and BB wise, he didn't list any specifics, but those ship types are pretty well flushed out skill wise.

I don't ask thus information for me, (I believe I have all the ARP ships) I ask for those who don't have an ocean of premiums; rare/restricted ones a that.

[KAPPA]
Members
3,110 posts
8,239 battles
19 minutes ago, Crokodone said:

Op listed premium destroyers and carriers; t7 and 8. I was asking him for counterparts he thought comparable to Haida, Sims and Kaga.

Cruiser and BB wise, he didn't list any specifics, but those ship types are pretty well flushed out skill wise.

I don't ask thus information for me, (I believe I have all the ARP ships) I ask for those who don't have an ocean of premiums; rare/restricted ones a that.

I've updated the first post as a heads up. Kaga is more or less the only CV that can do this, but Midway is a distant second. That said, T6 CVs like RJ and Ark can do it fairly easily in Killer Whale. Capping, though, is more or less any DD that isn't T6-7 and has good conceal. T5 is best option, as no radar.

Edited by Shoggoth_pinup

[WPORT]
Members
5,495 posts
10,518 battles

Thanks for creating this topic and sharing the information, everyone.  :-)

[WPORT]
Members
5,495 posts
10,518 battles
On 2/1/2020 at 6:25 PM, RipNuN2 said:

I used Ryujo and Shokaku.  Getting citadel hits was good practice.

• Cool 1