You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
guns_at_last_light

WG: please add punctuation to requirements

39 comments in this topic

Members
827 posts

WG, for the love of all that is good and holy, please add punctuation to the numbers you put in requirements. This has to be low hanging fruit when it comes to quality of life updates, and it STILL hasn't been done despite being asked for by the player base for years. Assign a dev to this and he or she can wrap this up in a few hours. 

I'll go ahead and make a note on my calendar to bring this up again in 2021.

• Cool 31

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts
15 minutes ago, guns_at_last_light said:

WG, for the love of all that is good and holy, please add punctuation to the numbers you put in requirements. This has to be low hanging fruit when it comes to quality of life updates, and it STILL hasn't been done despite being asked for by the player base for years. Assign a dev to this and he or she can wrap this up in a few hours. 

30,000,000 is so much easier to read than 30000000.

@Hapa_Fodder

@Femennenly

Please pass this one up the chain, it's a straightforward QOL improvement. 

• Cool 9

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
27,513 posts
14,829 battles
12 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

30,000,000 is so much easier to read than 30000000.

@Hapa_Fodder

@Femennenly

Please pass this one up the chain, it's a straightforward QOL improvement. 

9 minutes ago, PotatoMD said:

Hell, I'll even take 30 000 000

I would even take European style 30.000.000

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Members
10,754 posts
18,476 battles

Once again, I approve this suggestion and will continue to do so, until it's inception. Actually in America we are taught about punctuating numbers in beginning grade (elementary) school. What do they teach in Russia any way?

Two preschoolers are watching a parade. "Look! There's clowns!" yells Paul. "And three horses!" exclaims his friend, Nathan.

Both friends are having a great experience. But only Nathan is having a mathematical experience at the same time. Other children see, perhaps, a brown, a black, and a dappled horse. Nathan sees the same colors, but also sees a quantity-three horses. The difference is probably this: At school and at home, Nathan's teachers and family notice and talk about numbers.

When Does Number Learning Begin?

When do children first become able to notice numbers? And, how important is it to notice and talk about them? Let's first explore when children are sensitive to quantity. Picture a 6-month-old child looking at three drawings. They show two dots, one dot, and three dots. The infant hears three drumbeats, and her eyes move to the picture with three dots. Infants are sensitive to quantity! Does that mean they "know" numbers? Probably only at an intuitive level. This little girl doesn't know that the dots represent three in the way older children and adults do, and doesn't know that three is more than two. But the beginnings of understanding numbers are there.

Sensitize Children to Numbers

Building on those beginnings is important. Every time you name a number, such as noticing, "Oh! I dropped three of the crayons," you sensitize children to numbers and teach a number word and its connection to a specific quantity. However, if you do it consistently, you are doing much more. You are encouraging children to think of the world in terms of, and to spontaneously recognize, numbers. That is a gift that keeps on giving, because children can then create hundreds, or thousands, of mathematical experiences for themselves.

Explore Groupings

Teachers need to be alert to naming small groups of objects and people whenever it is appropriate. "There are two airplanes." "Do you three want to play with the blocks?" Be especially alert to situations when naming small groups is important to the child. "You drew four baby horses! Are you going to draw four mommy horses?" Of course, children cannot recognize numbers in large groups. Unless they are arranged in certain ways, such as on a dice, the limit is usually four to six.

So, is recognition of numbers an early skill that fades away when real learning of numbers starts? The answer is no, for the following reasons:

1. Recognition of numbers supports the development of other number skills, such as counting. For example, one of the most important ideas about counting that many children do not develop is this: The last counting word tells how many. Children will count three objects, but then, when asked how many, will re-count. But if they recognize groups of one, two, and three, then when they count out one, they see they have one, when they count out two, they see they have two, and when they finish and count three they see three. They relate it to what they already know, and so the counting is more meaningful.

2. Recognition of numbers develops into more sophisticated abilities. The most obvious one is subitizing, or instantly seeing how many. From a Latin word meaning suddenly, subitizing is the direct and immediate recognition of the number of a group. Simply stated, it's fast number recognition. If someone shows you four fingers for only an instant, you recognize how many fingers they are holding up without counting. And that fast recognition is important. For example, subitizing will later help children with adding. Many children add 4 + 3 by counting out four objects, then three objects, then counting all seven. The trouble is that their memory of the three and four on one hand, and the seven on the other, is too far away for the child to make a connection. But if a child subitizes the four, she is more likely to count on, starting with four, then five, six, and seven. Then, she learns a more sophisticated counting strategy and starts learning the fact that 4 + 3 = 7.

So, be sure to notice and name numbers. Talk about how many objects appear in small groups everywhere around you. It's a sure way to put children on the path to math literacy, because it not only teaches them about numbers, but also ignites a mathematical way of thinking that will allow them to continue to teach themselves.

Edited by Sovereigndawg
  • Confused 1

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
12,325 posts
10,458 battles

Mathematical punctuation isn't universal.  In French, for example, a comma denotes a decimal.  So 1,003 means 1.003 to someone who speaks French.  Keeping the missions without punctuation makes for less confusion when there are multiple language groups within a given region, like North America if they're not going out of their way to make several language versions in the same region.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 3

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts

I've long said that we can learn metric, and they can learn mathematical punctuation that makes sense.

At the very least, small spaces could be inserted to break the numbers up visually.  So as someone said above, 30 000 000 000. 

• Cool 1

Members
224 posts
6,093 battles

So what is 1 + 1

School Teacher: 1 + 1 = 2
Accountant: What do you want it to be?
Advanced Math student: Well it depends if the 1s are negative or positive
Student of Relativity: It depends how fast you are moving when you observe it
Student of Quantum Physics: If you ever find out it won’t be that number any more.

• Funny 3

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
27,513 posts
14,829 battles
24 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Mathematical punctuation isn't universal.  In French, for example, a comma denotes a decimal.  So 1,003 means 1.003 to someone who speaks French.  Keeping the missions without punctuation makes for less confusion when there are multiple language groups within a given region, like North America if they're not going out of their way to make several language versions in the same region.

Yet they use the European method of writing the date, day month year and it makes perfect sense once you know what they are doing. As has been mentioned they could at least put spaces where the period/comma would be for readability or use different color numbers for each group.

• Cool 1

[B-Z]
Members
199 posts
23,239 battles

I've looked and I just can't see the financial benefit to WG. They have to pay a dev to do work and they get no direct return. In other words keep dreaming.

In other other words WG would just like to further extend their middle finger at you

Edited by John_Crace
  • Boring 1

[KAPPA]
Members
3,117 posts
8,840 battles
3 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Yet they use the European method of writing the date, day month year and it makes perfect sense once you know what they are doing. As has been mentioned they could at least put spaces where the period/comma would be for readability or use different color numbers for each group.

You know, while that sounds weird at first, they could just alternate between two shades of the same color.

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,584 posts
4,223 battles
32 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

One form is universal. I vote for 3.0*10^7. No confusion when you use scientific notation:Smile_hiding:

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
27,513 posts
14,829 battles
3 minutes ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

You know, while that sounds weird at first, they could just alternate between two shades of the same color.

I have actually seen this done and it is very readable.

3 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

One form is universal. I vote for 3.0*10^7. No confusion when you use scientific notation:Smile_hiding:

That could be written 3,0*10^7 so confusion would still be there. :Smile-_tongue:

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,584 posts
4,223 battles
11 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

I have actually seen this done and it is very readable.

That could be written 3,0*10^7 so confusion would still be there. :Smile-_tongue:

Fine: 3*10^7. Sig figs are unimportant anyway:cap_cool:

[KAPPA]
Members
3,117 posts
8,840 battles
27 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

Could also introduce different currencies for every step! Although, then you'd run the risk of looking like WoW.

[-KAK-]
Members
608 posts
12,116 battles
48 minutes ago, GoldDust2015 said:

So what is 1 + 1

School Teacher: 1 + 1 = 2
Accountant: What do you want it to be?
Advanced Math student: Well it depends if the 1s are negative or positive
Student of Relativity: It depends how fast you are moving when you observe it
Student of Quantum Physics: If you ever find out it won’t be that number any more.

More Advanced Math student: Real or Imaginary?
Programmer: What base are we working in?

• Cool 2

Members
913 posts
2,737 battles
1 hour ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Why not?  Why not just add a option in the game menu for the number separation?  This isn't the first time this topic has come up and we see resistance from WG staff and CC's, namely "it's too hard".  C'mon, it really isn't.  It's a small QOL update that would assist in readability, especially for those with less then 20/20 vision out there.

@Femennenly I know you mentioned a while ago that this would be taken back to WG.  Now the topic has come up again, can we please get an update on whether or not this is being considered?  If not, can we PLEASE do so?  If that really is all too hard then just bake it into the game clients.  You already have an NA client, EU client with localisations and the like.  Just tie it into the localisation if you must but I contend just giving the player the option would be better.

Edited by Snarky_Wombat
  • Cool 1

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
12,325 posts
10,458 battles
3 minutes ago, Snarky_Wombat said:

Why not?  Why not just add a option in the game menu for the number separation?  This isn't the first time this topic has come up and we see resistance from WG staff and CC's, namely "it's too hard".  C'mon, it really isn't.  It's a small QOL update that would assist in readability, especially for those with less then 20/20 vision out there.

I'm all for that, but given the rate at which Wargaming provides UI changes, I have very little hope of seeing this implemented.  We're still waiting for a "demount all" signal button.

[WAIFU]
[WAIFU]
Members
3,614 posts
15,628 battles

wat punctuation and grammar are overrated i never misunderstand anything that wg writes its as clear as mud

[-VT-]
Members
1,020 posts
27,553 battles
8 hours ago, guns_at_last_light said:

,.!..

There some punctuation for you.

• Funny 1

[EQRN]
Members
2,167 posts
19,132 battles

Incorporate multiple distinct languages to choose from into the game while hiring the requisite number of voice actors? Piece of cake.

Incorporate numeric de-limiters in text? “too hard”

• Cool 1