You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Stauffenberg44

THE most beautiful Battlecruiser not yet in the game

12 comments in this topic

Members
4,247 posts
9,879 battles

I'll just quote from my pre-dreadnought thread on this gorgeous ship:

Spoiler

923926885_FFVonderTann.jpg.418e21707a3dffe1c72dbc1ba863de43.jpg

Notes

Is she a beautiful ship or what? Von der Tann was a well-armoured and fast battlecruiser that I would love to see included. She could appear anywhere from tier III to IV, depending on how heavily the WG nerf axe were to fall on her. She has built-in OPness and would be a challenge for them to balance.

"SMS von der Tann was the first German battlecruiser, and is widely accepted to have been a much more successful design than her British equivalents. She carried 50% more armour than the Indefatigable class battlecruisers (5,693 tons compared to 3,735 tons) without sacrificing speed [top speed 27.75 kts].

Contrary to popular believe, the von der Tann did not sacrifice firepower to gain her extra armour protection. Eight German 12in guns would have only added 80 tons to the weight of her guns. Partly because of her battery of 5.9in guns, the armaments of the von der Tann actually weighed more than those of the British Indefatigable class. The 1,958 tons for the extra armour on von der Tann came from a combination of a lighter hull (1,000 tons), lighter machinery (600t) and an overall increase of 350 tons in weight. Her design would suggest that the British did not need to sacrifice quite so much armour to achieve the desired combination of firepower and speed.

The real motivation for the choice of 11.1in guns for von der Tann would appear to have been cost. The Naval budget was already stretched close to the limit by the need to build a fleet of dreadnoughts and so plans to use 12in or 13.8in guns were abandoned. The 11.1in guns proved to be perfectly capable of taking on the more lightly armed British battlecruisers, but they gave the von der Tann a broadside weight of 5,238lbs, compared to the 6,800lbs of the Invincible and Indefatigable class battlecruisers or the 7,144lbs offered by the main German 12in guns.

The saving in machinery weight came from the use of 18 Schultz-Thornycroft double boilers, which provided almost the same level of power as the 32 Babcock and Wilcox used on the Indefatigable ships.

During the First World War the von der Tann took part in the Gorleston Raid of 3 November 1914 and the raid on the Yorkshire coast of 16 December. At Jutland the von der Tann became involved in a duel with the British battlecruiser Indefatigable. The duel began at 3:49pm, and at 4:03, after taking five 11.1in hits, the Indefatigable exploded. It is generally accepted that flash from one of the German hits reached her magazine. The von der Tann was hit four times herself.

After Jutland the von der Tann was involved in most of the remaining sorties of the High Seas Fleet. She was one of the German ships interned at Scapa Flow after the war, and was scuttled by her crew on 21 June 1919."

from http://www.historyofwar.org/articles/weapons_SMS_Von_der_Tann.html

Bring this ship on... and the Goeben for that matter.

• Cool 3

[TARK]
Members
7,331 posts
2,824 battles

First, WG needs to decide to release premium ships that are under tier 5 again.

Perhaps another reminder since the Viribus Unitis debacle...

I am a free2play player.

I WOULD SPEND MONEY FOR A PROPER LOW TIER PREMIUM.

I will not spend money on the fantasy high tier ships.

@Sub_Octavian

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[SYN]
Members
8,256 posts
14,111 battles

I would love to see some more t4 premiums, 2 is not enough. But WG seems to only be interested in t8/9/10 premiums to squeeze as much cash from the player base as they can.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
25,798 posts
28,042 battles
20 minutes ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

I would love to see some more t4 premiums, 2 is not enough. But WG seems to only be interested in t8/9/10 premiums to squeeze as much cash from the player base as they can.

Honestly, Wuff, so long as nearly all missions, dailies included, are tier 5 and above, I have little interest in tier 4 or below premiums.  If I can't use a premium ship on missions, then I have no interest in paying money for it.

[UN1]
Members
1,292 posts
4,040 battles

This would be a great ship for a German battle cruiser line. Maybe instead of starting it at T3, starting it at T4 instead with the Derrflinger at T5, Mackensen at T6, and so on and so fourth.

Members
1,107 posts
4,792 battles

Hmmm

Lemme see if I can work muh magic here. As in I can try and make a proposal that works at Tier 4 as a BC design.

It'll be ready by Sunday 

:SerB:

P.S: :cap_haloween: :cap_haloween: :cap_haloween: :cap_haloween: :cap_haloween:

Also. @Lert, did you already do this by chance?

Members
949 posts
2,321 battles
On 1/31/2020 at 7:45 PM, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

First, WG needs to decide to release premium ships that are under tier 5 again.

Perhaps another reminder since the Viribus Unitis debacle...

I am a free2play player.

I WOULD SPEND MONEY FOR A PROPER LOW TIER PREMIUM.

I will not spend money on the fantasy high tier ships.

@Sub_Octavian

Thisx100. I mean there are some high tier premiums I'd spend money on and have spent money on(they do release a lot of historical ships) but most of my wish list are pre dreadnoughts and battlecruisers. There is much more room to build going backwards than forwards at this point. 

I don't see what's wrong with Viribus Unitis really, seems almost like a better Nassau. Fun ship and one that people were looking forward to for a long time.

Also so confused that they picked a random paper battlecruiser when pretty much the entire type hasn't been released yet. Not that Prinz Eitel Freidrich is unwelcome or anything just that I don't get why it was released before all the German battlecruisers that actually existed. 

Edited by Aristotle83

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,768 posts
20,220 battles
8 hours ago, Shrayes_Bhagavatula said:

Von der Tann? No. But I might, if I get around to it. Feel free to do a write-up though, it'll be interesting to see what you come up with.

• Cool 1

[PGF]
Members
246 posts
15,849 battles

Be nice as part of a battlecuriser line split or as a premium. I'm still hoping for the Derfflinger to be added to the game but am weary after how the PEF turned out. Not a bad ship but could have been better. 

[SALVO]
Members
25,798 posts
28,042 battles
On 4/17/2020 at 8:17 PM, Shrayes_Bhagavatula said:

Hmmm

Lemme see if I can work muh magic here. As in I can try and make a proposal that works at Tier 4 as a BC design.

It'll be ready by Sunday 

:SerB:

P.S: :cap_haloween: :cap_haloween: :cap_haloween: :cap_haloween: :cap_haloween:

The Von Der Tann should really be saved to the (hopefully) eventual German BC line, as the tier 3 German BC.  It was the first German BC and should be the first in any German BC tech tree line.

• Cool 1