You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Stauffenberg44

Bring on the Dante Alighieri!

9 comments in this topic

Members
4,247 posts
9,879 battles

Italian battleships are coming! Let's hope the Dante Alighieri is among them. From my notes in my pre-dreadnought thread:

Spoiler

Dante Alighieri, named after the medieval Italian poet, was the only battleship ever named for a poet. She was laid down at the naval shipyard in Castellammare di Stabia on 6 June 1909, launched on 20 August 1910, and completed on 15 January 1913. Dante Alighieri was the first dreadnought battleship built for the Regia Marina (Royal Italian Navy) and was the first battleship built with her main armament in triple 12-inch gun turrets (x four).

1046809600_FFDanteAlighieri.thumb.jpg.1b35beb0e758ca010afb55e3df4c87a0.jpg

!

The Austro-Hungarian dreadnought Viribus UnitIs (which is now ingame) was built in response to this potent Italian dreadnought.

History demands this ship appears in WoWs.

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
27,488 posts
14,823 battles

She is the right vintage for tier 3 and none of the earlier ships would be viable because they were mixed battery ships ie pre-Dreadoughts.

Members
4,247 posts
9,879 battles
4 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

She is the right vintage for tier 3 and none of the earlier ships would be viable because they were mixed battery ships ie pre-Dreadoughts.

Agreed.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
27,488 posts
14,823 battles
24 minutes ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

There has been news of an Italian BB line?

I don't think there has been but they are acknowledged to be in the pipeline. I think Stauffen is just stirring the pot.

A picture from 1914 that I think was taken during her trials.

Italian_battleship_Dante_Alighieri.jpg

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
25,828 posts
28,174 battles
1 hour ago, BrushWolf said:

Honestly, the DA seems too heavily armed to be a tier 3 BB.  Seems more like a tier 4.  I think that they'd probably take one of the pre-DNs and turn it into tier 3 DN battleship.

Also, the Italians didn't build all that many BB classes, so we all know that there'll have to be some tiers filled with design studies or outright fictional ships.

Members
4,247 posts
9,879 battles
36 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

I don't think there has been but they are acknowledged to be in the pipeline. I think Stauffen is just stirring the pot.

NICE!

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
27,488 posts
14,823 battles
11 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Honestly, the DA seems too heavily armed to be a tier 3 BB.  Seems more like a tier 4.  I think that they'd probably take one of the pre-DNs and turn it into tier 3 DN battleship.

Also, the Italians didn't build all that many BB classes, so we all know that there'll have to be some tiers filled with design studies or outright fictional ships.

That is true but they can play with dispersion and sigma to deal with that too. While they only made five classes of Dreadnought class and later BB's two of them have the ability to be in two tiers because of their complete reconstruction, so complete the Brits thought the Conte di Cavour was a new class of ship. The Conte di Cavour as built fits nicely in tier 4 and I would use Leonardo da Vinci for that as she sunk in 1916 do to an explosion and as reconstructed would fit in tier 6 as WG realized the Giulo Cesare should have been to begin with and could be the Conte di Cavour. The Andrea Doria could do the same in tier 5 & 7 as the Andrea Doria and Caio Dulio. The Littorio would be tier 8 leaving only tier 9 & 10 to paper/proposed ships.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
27,488 posts
14,823 battles
42 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

6 minutes ago, Stauffenberg44 said:

NICE!

Talk about excellent hull lines, she is moving right along and the bow wave is minimal.