You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Nikolay_Kuznetsov_

Why do players do this?

16 comments in this topic

Members
1,344 posts

After I have died in battle I often catch a ride on random boats.

While watching another player do his thing I see them turning their ships and taking their guns off target not because of obstruction{islands} in open water.

Either during a charge into or a retreat out of battle.

At first I thought it was to send torps but realized this ship has no torps.

Maybe because I died so soon I didn't know to do this to the survival of my ship. { I am not shooting you so you can't shoot me}{{ covering my eyes playing peekaboo with my child}}

I may be wrong but is it really wise to take your guns out of action by a turn?

I really like to observe all battles to get an insight of other players, but this seems to be a major thing among a lot of players.

What am I missing?

• Confused 1
  • Boring 2

[LSNB]
Members
1,636 posts
4,989 battles

I was playing Georgia today; when turning in and pushing, I often switched to another target as I had the opportunity to deal more damage to that target instead of wasting time turning my loaded turrets to shoot at an angled BB. I'd rather empty my salvo there and turn my turrets during the time it takes to reload. The same applies to retreating.

Edited by destawaits

[PVE]
Members
381 posts
3,212 battles
5 minutes ago, Nikolay_Kuznetsov_ said:

While watching another player do his thing I see them turning their ships and taking their guns off target not because of obstruction{islands} in open water.

Maybe because I died so soon I didn't know to do this to the survival of my ship. { I am not shooting you so you can't shoot me}{{ covering my eyes playing peekaboo with my child}}

I really like to observe all battles to get an insight of other players, but this seems to be a major thing among a lot of players.

What am I missing?

I would assume that they are "looking" around them which takes their guns off target.

• Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
15,195 posts
26,846 battles

No. It is not wise to take your guns off target. (Outside the aforementioned looking around; the priority target trick is tapping ‘X’ to deselect the target.)

This is one of the biggest mistakes I see other players make; unnecessarily masking their own guns with a turn.

YES, maybe you need to angle, or perhaps something else, but absent the two DIRECT threats of a torpedo attack, or going broadside to an enemy; keeping your guns pointed at the enemy should ALWAYS be a priority.

Even when facing a potential torpedo attack, (by whatever is using them, but in particular attacks by destroyers,) taking your guns off of them is like an invitation to come in and torpedo you. Every salvo cycle you don’t shoot by masking your guns is a chance lost to prevent being torpedoed.

There have been times I have locked my guns and made a full Warspite circle to change direction instead of an easier quarter (or whatever,) turn, because it would get my guns back on target, or on a new target, faster than waiting for them to turn on their own would.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet
  • Cool 2

Members
103 posts
5,589 battles
1 hour ago, Nikolay_Kuznetsov_ said:

What am I missing?

It is one of the first signs of an unskilled player when you see his turrets rotating off target. It is not hard to master the turret lock and look and if they can't do this without thinking, there is a lot of other things they can't do. Turrets should rarely rotate, you should know where you are going and what you are going to do when you get there - assuming a battleship and most cruisers. A DD has different rules. If you see a ship with guns rotating every where, that player has NO PLAN. Kill him.

[THREE]
Members
2,151 posts
10,937 battles

I use the right click binding to keep my guns facing target while I scan.

If I want to reorient my ship for whatever reason, I'll pre turn my turrets to face the side I will be engaging from shortly. Really useful for ships with long turret rotations.

• Cool 2

[T-CF]
Members
551 posts
3,130 battles
3 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

No. It is not wise to take your guns off target. (Outside the aforementioned looking around; the priority target trick is tapping ‘X’ to deselect the target.)

This is one of the biggest mistakes I see other players make; unnecessarily masking their own guns with a turn.

YES, maybe you need to angle, or perhaps something else, but absent the two DIRECT threats of a torpedo attack, or going broadside to an enemy; keeping your guns pointed at the enemy should ALWAYS be a priority.

Even when facing a potential torpedo attack, (by whatever is using them, but in particular attacks by destroyers,) taking your guns off of them is like an invitation to come in and torpedo you. Every salvo cycle you don’t shoot by masking your guns is a chance lost to prevent being torpedoed.

There have been times I have locked my guns and made a full Warspite circle to change direction instead of an easier quarter (or whatever,) turn, because it would get my guns back on target, or on a new target, faster than waiting for them to turn on their own would.

Not necessarily. Sometimes you need to temporarily mask your turrets while doing a full turn particularly with slow rotating turrets. However keeping them masked is a mistake. It’s really situational but not a habit to make since turning with cover is a lot more preferable than turning out on the open to begin with.

[FML]
Members
4,122 posts
16,057 battles
4 hours ago, Cpt_Cupcake said:

I use the right click binding to keep my guns facing target while I scan.

If I want to reorient my ship for whatever reason, I'll pre turn my turrets to face the side I will be engaging from shortly. Really useful for ships with long turret rotations.

I do this as well. It’s all just planning ahead. 

[GLF]
Members
47 posts
25,031 battles

A lot depends on circumstances, 

After  firing a broadside I will turn into a target reducing my exposed area while my guns reload, swinging back to a targeted position just prior to completion of loading.  This will swing both fore and aft batteries both off and on to target.

Maneuver can also bring your guns to bear more quickly than turret traverse alone.

Also, when ever spotted even if I can see no enemy,  I start hitting rudder shift on the assumption someone will be targeting with evil intent.

Zig zag or wasd hack is your friend .

[TORCH]
Members
667 posts
17,166 battles

As others have indicated, it's really impossible to know without knowing the specific circumstances.  There are just too many variables.

As a general rule, yes, you should keep as many guns as possible on target, and firing as fast as possible.  But there are also many specific reasons why you might want them to leave the current target.  A few possibilities:

1.  Somebody already mentioned using priority target to bait the enemy into thinking he isn't targeted.

2.  Sometimes you really need to change targets.

3.  Sometimes, you can do #2 faster by turning the whole ship, than by turning the turrets.

4.  In many cases, it's good (lifesaving!) practice to angle more while your guns are reloading (pulling at least some of your guns off target), then open up a little broadside just long enough to fire a full salvo.

5.  You suspect an unseen DD nearby, and just don't want to sail in a straight line for too long.  You WASD.  Some ships will out-turn their turrets, so just by maneuvering, you pull your guns off target, even though you wish it weren't so.

6.  You are firing at a ship, and suddenly from behind the island over THERE here comes a juicy broadside target (or a really dangerous target).

7.  The tactical situation has gone to h#11, and you need to go dark and reposition.

8.  Your chosen target has sailed out of range/behind an island/into smoke, or vanished for whatever reason.

9.  Etc.

• Cool 1

Members
1,344 posts
On 1/31/2020 at 7:23 PM, Estimated_Prophet said:

This is my thoughts exactly. Keep your guns pointed at an enemy giving free target practice to others is a Naval No No.

[GLF]
Members
1,075 posts
17,626 battles

Sometimes i strangely turn and take guns off target, even mid brawl,  because I am getting too far to the side of the map with a slow BB like colorado.  I try to plan where i want to be once my flank is cleared or once i win my brawl.   Once you get positioned in the outer two columns or rows with a slow BB, you might as well not be in the battle anymore once your flank is cleared.  I'll usually wait to turn til it looks like the target will inevitably go angled or concealed in a very short amount of time.  If i wait for 2 more salvos before turning, thats 2.5 minutes before i will be back to the place i was when i first had the urge to turn.  If i turn now, i still keep two turrets on the target, and i'm set up for more action afterwards thats maybe further away from me.

[WOLFG]
Members
31,397 posts
9,655 battles
On 2/1/2020 at 9:41 AM, Midshipman_Hornblower said:

9.  Etc.

9. You have incoming planes on the other side of the ship, and want to trip sector priority.

10. A DD popped up on the other side of your MFCS-equipped ship.