You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Battlecruiser_Repulse

Lol, $230 for all the ARP ships

77 comments in this topic

[KNMSU]
Members
7,086 posts
7,766 battles

DtGg1vj.gif

Look, I can't tell you what something is worth to a given person, and obviously there are people who have probably already paid for this package...

... but... that's a LOT of money for 3-year-old content; for a bunch of Myoko clones (which is fine, it's a nice cruiser - but who needs four? The only reason I have all four is because I unlocked them without trying for free) and a big, steaming pile of Kongo reprints (Kongo is a below-average tier 5 ship - period. Sorry, but that's all there is to it). 

Now, maybe that doesn't matter to you - maybe this set is everything you ever dreamed of; maybe that deep hundred-plus dollar "discount" (remember, these were free boats before) just screams 'buy me.' But I guess I'd think long and hard on this one. 

Edited by Battlecruiser_Repulse
  • Cool 3
  • Funny 5
  • Boring 5

[KNMSU]
Members
7,086 posts
7,766 battles
Just now, RyuuohD_NA said:

Complaining about optional content:cap_book:

I'm not complaining.

But if paying that much for a very, very pedestrian tier 10 ship like Puerto Rico was regarded as berserk, shelling out just as much for a bunch of lackluster copies must be considered an elevated level of insanity. 

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 2

Members
2,767 posts
93 battles
1 minute ago, Battlecruiser_Repulse said:

I'm not complaining.

But if paying that much for a very, very pedestrian tier 10 ship like Puerto Rico was regarded as berserk, shelling out just as much for a bunch of lackluster copies must be considered an elevated level of insanity. 

You seem to underestimate weeb wallets.

• Funny 2

[WMD]
Members
1,779 posts
10,120 battles
29 minutes ago, Battlecruiser_Repulse said:

DtGg1vj.gif

Look, I can't tell you what something is worth to a given person, and obviously there are people who have probably already paid for this package...

... but... that's a LOT of money for 3-year-old content; for a bunch of Myoko clones (which is fine, it's a nice cruiser - but who needs four? The only reason I have all four is because I unlocked them without trying for free) and a big, steaming pile of Kongo reprints (Kongo is a below-average tier 5 ship - period. Sorry, but that's all there is to it). 

Now, maybe that doesn't matter to you - maybe this set is everything you ever dreamed of; maybe that deep hundred-plus dollar "discount" (remember, these were free boats before) just screams 'buy me.' But I guess I'd think long and hard on this one. 

Have you ever started a thread that wasn't a complaint? 

If people love ARP and want to spend their money who cares? I imagine you spend money on something other people think is silly, but other people tend to have more common sense, and decency than to mock you for it. 

• Cool 1
  • Boring 3

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,768 posts
20,226 battles
29 minutes ago, Battlecruiser_Repulse said:

But if paying that much for a very, very pedestrian tier 10 ship like Puerto Rico was regarded as berserk

The main issue with PR wasn't that it was so expensive, it was that it was originally presented as a fun holiday grind. Anyone with half a brain would know it would be very expensive to buy outright, but we were arguably misled about the grind portion of it, during a time most people wouldn't have much time to play the game anyways.

For this ARP event, everything is laid out up front. I've got a lot more truck with that.

• Cool 14

Members
925 posts
5,110 battles

I see the WG apologists for massively overpriced content are out in full force.

PR, British Cruiser unlocks, copy paste Lunar ship bundle, and now this all well north of $200 or potentially so. Basically the price of 4 separate AAA games slapped on lazy "content". This is an alarming and terrible trend to start the new year. At what amount is it acceptable for the community to push back? 

Personally I think WG is long overdue for a wake up call and some people of this community could use a slap back to reality as well.

Edited by ksix
  • Cool 11
  • Boring 10

[O_O]
Members
6,896 posts
16,528 battles

Why would anyone pay that much when you can earn it for free in a week or two's time? :Smile_amazed:

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
5,162 posts
22,715 battles
1 hour ago, Battlecruiser_Repulse said:

I'm not complaining.

It's not the ships themselves that they are paying for. It's for the associated anime content. 

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
5,162 posts
22,715 battles
12 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

Why would anyone pay that much when you can earn it for free in a week or two's time? :Smile_amazed:

If you feel like you won't be able to finish the whole grind and want to make sure you have the ships you buy them. The bundle will bring in those type of whales.

[RKLES]
Members
12,592 posts
14,320 battles
1 hour ago, Lert said:

The main issue with PR wasn't that it was so expensive, it was that it was originally presented as a fun holiday grind. Anyone with half a brain would know it would be very expensive to buy outright, but we were arguably misled about the grind portion of it, during a time most people wouldn't have much time to play the game anyways.

For this ARP event, everything is laid out up front. I've got a lot more truck with that.

Exactly! PR was advertised as a fun Holiday event and with WG’s past track record we should have been able to get the PR as a mix of reasonable grind / Christmas gift from WG. Or perhaps a as a New Years Gift. Although I can’t complain too much seeing how I walked away with 3 ships thanks to that event plus extras even if Gorizia is worthless and I never got Puerto Rico. Thanks to crates with Doubloons and lots of coal plus coupons I came away with Yoshino and Roma. 

So my yearly tradition of coming away with useful in game vehicles in Dec through January with WG games is intact even if WG had other ideas lol.

[SOLOH]
[SOLOH]
Beta Testers
4,265 posts
22,158 battles
55 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

some people want the ships but due to school or work or both just don't have the grind time

[ARGSY]
Members
22,236 posts
16,189 battles

OP, let people spend as they want - or not, if they don't. 

By all means state that it's all a bit much for you. 

Most of them are not free boats now. We can win the four Kongos and one of the Myokos for free. But what if we are travelling while the grind is on? What if we weren't even in the game the first time it came around, and COULDN'T win it, and time pressure or the turn of events in our lives prevents us from grinding for any of it now?

My take is this - I wasn't sure there would be a free grind, so I was looking for even a slim chance to buy a Kongo, a Myoko and a Takao - because one of each is all I need. But now we have a Kongo-class and Myoko free grind. IMHO the Takao with all her bundle stuff is grossly overpriced (CDN$20 more than the Atago!!), and if I want an Atago-class cruiser then this isn't the way to go.

And if I have to have all four Kongos to get to the Myoko I really want, well, so be it - I'll put Yamamoto front-and-centre to be my next 19 point captain and he can grind through all five of the glowy-boats every night until he's there. 

Anyone who's brand new to the game with no ships high enough for the grind mission, has money to spend and wants to get a piece of this, my advice is as follows - buy one of the Kongos and one of the Myokos according to aesthetic taste, then put away your wallet. They will be there for you when you start up the Japanese BB and cruiser lines for retraining your captains. If you have even ONE Tier 5 ship, give this a go - grind like hell and get as many of the ARP ships as you can:  https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/sales-and-events/return-of-the-fleet-of-fog/ 

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 3

[P2W]
[P2W]
Banned
1,334 posts
3 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

Kinda feel vindicated not selling the ships the first time round. 

I kept one of each and sold off the duplicates, got a bunch of port slots freed up to have a better "variety" of ships. That what I don't get about this package, it's basically a bunch of duplicates.

Edited by DESRON10

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
28,726 posts
24,990 battles

The big bundle is expensive but it is cheaper than buying equivalent tier ships in that quantity.

You'd only want that big bundle if you are some big collector.

However, if all you want is a Premium Kongo, Myoko, Takao-class, you don't need all of them.  The ships are being offered individually.  Say you want just 1 from each.

ARP Takao $56.49 (Regular Atago is more bare bones, but is only at $44).

Premium Kongo-class?  Say you get ARP Hiei $18.69.

Premium Myoko-class?  Say you choose ARP Haguro $32.89.

Those 3 ARP ships together should be $108.07.

Or you could be just like, "I just want a Premium Myoko," and i'ts only going to cost $32.89.

Etc.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
28,726 posts
24,990 battles

I just logged in, I opted in with the ARP missions despite having all the ships from years ago.  

You can get a bunch of the ARP ships for free.  HOWEVER, you got just under 2 weeks to do it and the requirements are a bit grindy.  It seems doable but it depends on how much time you can put in for it.

If all you want is a representing Premium Kongo and Myoko-class and time is an issue, it's real easy:  Do the first chain, get ARP Hiei for your Free Premium Kongo-class and then buy one of the ARP Myoko-clones for $32, again, if time is an issue.

There is a free ARP Myoko but she's at the end of Chain 4.

There is no free ARP Takao.  Your options are the bundled up but more expensive ARP Takao or the more bare bones but cheaper Atago.

• Cool 1

[BIG-7]
Beta Testers
394 posts
12,996 battles

Lucky for me, I got all the ships the first and second time they were offered, with all the captains.

I enjoy all of them,  the animation is good, and the voices offer something different than the normal Japanese captains.

Now we know why the ships were upgraded to premium, so they could go on sale for what WG believes is a reasonable price.  

I would not second guess anyone who wants to buy since they are different, however, try the grind first.

[ASRN]
Beta Testers
718 posts
6,798 battles

Since I'm only in it for Hiei and Ashigara, my path is straightforward:  grind for Hiei and plunk down a few bucks for Ashigara.  (Neither Ashigara, Nachi, or Haguro are part of the grind campaign.)  I did consider (very briefly) buying the mega pack, though.

[TRU]
Members
711 posts
20,529 battles
2 hours ago, ksix said:

I see the WG apologists for massively overpriced content are out in full force.

PR, British Cruiser unlocks, copy paste Lunar ship bundle, and now this all well north of $200 or potentially so. Basically the price of 4 separate AAA games slapped on lazy "content". This is an alarming and terrible trend to start the new year. At what amount is it acceptable for the community to push back? 

Personally I think WG is long overdue for a wake up call and some people of this community could use a slap back to reality as well.

I don't know about folks being apologists - it really just comes down to their individual choice.  For me, I earned the ships for free way back and did so totally unknowingly lol.  

If I did not have them already, and this once again is my choice, I would NOT purchase the bundle as I find the price to high for cloned ships.  

The market will eventually dictate if this was a smart move to sell the ships this way.  All the while, there still is the free grind option IF you have the time and desire to go through it.  

YOU ARE NOT OBLIGATED TO GRIND THESE SHIPS AT THE EXPENSE OF YOUR HEALTH, FAMILY, OR CAREER.

Out of the cloned ships, I have grown quite fond of Ashigara.  It was pretty early into my WOWS account when I won her and had no experience playing Japanese cruisers.  I was able to learn that unique playstyle using powerful but slow firing HE and excellent kiting torpedoes.  It made me want to progess up the Japanese cruiser line (just got the Ibuki).   

[SWBYS]
Members
1 post
4,395 battles

I wish they would add some actual game play content instead just adding more ships.  We don't need more ships.  The scenarios are stale.  Coop is playable but gets boring.  Random is just stupid and not fun.  I closed my wallet to the game this year.  No more money until they add actual content.

Edited by Majrdisaster
  • Cool 1

[KOOKS]
Beta Testers
2,272 posts
6,174 battles

Before, they were just special ships.  No credit boosts, no camo able to be applied, but did allow any commander on. 

Now they are treated as full premium ships.  A nice change if you already had them.  But if you expect WG to give away all 9 of them away for free again (including 4 tier seven and one tier 8).... okay.... 

They are giving away 4 free premium tier five bb's and one free premium tier 7 CA through a grind.  That can be considered fairly generous.  Also there is the licensing fee to think about.  This is not something to be complaining about.