You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Sinsokira

ARk Royal VS indomitable

33 comments in this topic

Members
31 posts
345 battles

which of the 2 british premium carries would you rec to buy, the ark royal tier VI or the indomitable tier VIII? i am thinking of buying a cv and from what i read the british are easier to play so out of those two which would be better

0 posts

Ark Royal will make a better captain trainer, and is more suited to the upcoming RN legendary captain Cunningham. She is also the cheaper of the 2 CVs to buy.

Indomitable will earn more credits being at tier 8, but the lack of torpedos means gameplay is said to be repetitive. I am waiting for it to be on sale before I consider a purchase of her.

If you have very few battles in WOWS, and little experience with CVs, I'd suggest you stick to the tech tree CVs for now, to be sure you like Carrier gameplay, at least as far as tier 6, before spending your money.

• Cool 2

Members
31 posts
345 battles

is there a cv beside ark royal you would rec to get, i seen ppl say kaga cuase of the ammount of plans and other saying GZ cuase of the secondaries

[NOCAP]
[NOCAP]
Members
332 posts
20,100 battles

If you are curious about the British Line, I strongly recommend playing the tech tree version first to get a handle on them. 

The Ark Royal is a strong and well balanced carrier for Tier 6. You have fragile biplanes as your main bombers, but with practice, they can dish out a scary amount of damage. However, when uptiered into Tier 7 or even Tier 8 games, which can happen, it becomes very difficult to play. 

The Indomitable aircraft are unique in that you do not get access to torpedo bombers at all. You only get rockets or bombs. However it flies twin engine aircraft that are very hearty and can weather even Tier 10 AA storms so long as you actively dodge flak. 

I would say Ark Royal is more fun to play, personally, but Indomitable is super strong, which is fun in its own way. 

Hope that helps.

Members
31 posts
345 battles

it does, i am currently playing down the CV line for the british but i have yet to own a premium ship and im starting to like CVs

[NOCAP]
[NOCAP]
Members
332 posts
20,100 battles
1 minute ago, Sinsokira said:

is there a cv beside ark royal you would rec to get, i seen ppl say kaga cuase of the ammount of plans and other saying GZ cuase of the secondaries

Any line is recommendable, it really just depends on what "flavor" of carrier you want. 

Kaga's bonus is that you get large plane wave sizes...and lots of them. Its a good captain trainer, but at a higher tier. I have it, and love it. 

The GZ is currently not recommended. The reason is that its fighters are powerful, but WAY too fragile, and its dive bombers are aggravatingly bad. This leaves you with only torpedo bombers to deal reliable damage, and the secondaries are more for fun than anything else. They CAN deal a mind blowing amount of damage, but you really don't want to have to use them since you will be focused to death faster than they can kill anything. 

0 posts
3 minutes ago, Sinsokira said:

Not really, with your current progress in WOWS, I would not recommend you purchasing any premium higher than tier 6. You and your team mates would be disappointed if you do.

Members
31 posts
345 battles

Oh i use this account to learn different ships, my main account i play on is were i will buy the ship, im just looking to get player who own the cvs to give there opinions on which cv is best to get :)

[NOCAP]
[NOCAP]
Members
332 posts
20,100 battles
1 minute ago, Sinsokira said:

it does, i am currently playing down the CV line for the british but i have yet to own a premium ship and im starting to like CVs

Great! 

I'd recommend to AT LEAST get into the Tier 6 carrier of each nation, you'll start to feel their flavor then. Its impossible to get a grasp on what they will really be like until Tier 8 though. That said, getting to tier 6 gives you an idea of what that nation will be like, and what to kind of expect later on down the tech tree. 

Japan has powerful about Torpedo bombers, its rocket planes are good enough to hunt DDs, and its dive bombers can slap BBs around. 

America has powerful about Rocket Planes, but good dive bombers to back it up. Its torpedo bombers are o-k.

Britain has powerful about Level Bombers, its rocket planes can scary DDs to death, and its torpedo bombers can be quite a pain in the butt when used right. 

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,370 posts
13,033 battles

Ark Royal, hands down. She's good in operations and cheaper.  She's also well rounded.

That said, get a bunch of tier 4 CV games in to see if CV's are even a thing for you. I would say grind to tier 6 first, but that's a heck of a grind these days. If you don't like her, at least you didn't spend the cash on a tier 8, and you can use her to farm torpedo hits and spotting ribbons in Co-Op for directives.

[REVY]
Members
2,560 posts
13,794 battles
2 hours ago, Sinsokira said:

which of the 2 british premium carries would you rec to buy, the ark royal tier VI or the indomitable tier VIII? i am thinking of buying a cv and from what i read the british are easier to play so out of those two which would be better

2 hours ago, Sinsokira said:

Ark Royal over the Indomitable hands down. Ark Royal is in a better place Tier-wise and you have access to torpedo bombers which is more inline with the rest of the UK CV line making this ship a good captain trainer. Yes, her planes are slow and can get ripped apart by AA, but over all it is fun.

Kaga is also a very good CV. She has several flights of TBs available from the get go. While the planes have a slightly lower health pool, its the amount she can put up at one time that makes it fun.

Graf Zepplin is...... unique. She is the only German CV and she has a bit of a learning curve with her. The DBs, while decent when they hit, its actually hitting the ship is the issue. TBs are good. Her aircraft are pretty much the quickest in the game. The secondaries of the ship are good. It really comes down to the set-up of your captain. I'm not sure I would recommend.

Saipan was a former heavy-weight champ in the RTS era. Since the re-work, she struggles. While she does have T10 aircraft, she only has so many and you can quickly become de-planed struggle to put up aircraft if not planning your attacks ahead of time. Not sure I would recommend her either.

[ARGSY]
Members
22,236 posts
16,189 battles

Ark Royal over Indomitable in a heartbeat. You can take Ark Royal into Tier 6 operations, where her weaknesses (i.e. against higher tier ships) are largely mitigated and she gets to farm low-tier bots for Random Battles levels of reward.

Beta Testers
363 posts
12,391 battles
  • Ark Royal can be played in (most) Operations.  Indomitable cannot.
  • Ark Royal has deep aircraft reserves and fast regeneration, making losses bearable.  Indomitable does not.
  • Ark Royal has all three types of aircraft - rockets, torpedoes, and level bombers.  Indomitable does not.

So, yeah.  If you can only afford one, buy Ark Royal.  If you can afford both, buy Ark Royal and leave Indomitable until you've discovered you're a massive British CV level-bomber ace.

Of the other premium CVs, Kaga is probably the best noob-trainer, with her large aircraft reserves.  Graf Zeppelin and Saipan can work, in the right hands, but their smaller reserves make their skill floor higher.

[WOLFD]
Members
99 posts
7,101 battles

It's not even a contest, in my opinion. I love my Ark. It is my go to fun ship when you need a break from grinding a line or some laughs at a DD's expense. It's bombers quite literally unleash of rain squall of small HE bombs that are more than capable wrecking modules on DD's and lightly armored cruisers. Three plane attack flights of torpedo bombers make it possible to drop in such a way that the target is virtually guaranteed of eating 1 or 2 torps. Their damage is somewhat anemic, but I have seen more than one BB turn back from pressing an attack due to Ark's ability to keep hitting them with torps. The Skua's rockets are largely forgettable and I rarely use them unless I am waiting for a flight to finish regenerating. That being said, its planes are slow. So slow that it sometimes feels like they are flying through mud rather than air. You need to use islands as concealment to stay a bit closer to the action to get the most out of Ark's ability to quickly spam multiple flights of planes. As stated above Ark Royal has a very deep reserve of planes that can be readied quickly to offset the losses you will sustain, but in my opinion there is no finer CV for hunting DD's in the early match and hassling BB's that stray too far friendly ships capable of supporting them with AA. The slow plane speeds actually make it easier to spot for your teammates until a good target presents itself. Depending on how comfortable you are pressing your torpedo attacks in close, I highly recommend the  capt skill for torpedo acceleration at the expense of range, and the skill that boosts your planes armor. The Swordfish biplanes are pretty accurate, but fragile especially against higher tier AA. Also as stated above, it can be a beast for farming damage and credits in scenarios. A purchase you wont regret once you get the hang of her.

[55UP]
Members
407 posts
3,388 battles

I’ll echo what others have said here about the various carriers. I have both Ark Royal and Indomitable, and Ark Royal is hands down more fun to play. 

Indomitable really only has one trick, setting fires. Her bombs struggle to pen battleships and her planes are too fast to reliably attack destroyers. Attacking cruisers is always a dicey proposal with planes. While Indomitable’s planes are quite beefy, her regen rate is slow enough that it really hurts to lose a squadron to flak. While it’s possible to post up very good damage numbers, your play gets repetitive and boring after a while. Not a ship you’d want to play several games in a row with.

Ark Royal, on the other hand, has everything going against her. She can be seen from space and her primary attack planes (torpedo and bombs) are tier 4, slow as molasses, and fragile. But  they also turn on a dime and resolve their attack quickly. And she’s the only carrier at tier 6 that drops 3 torpedoes. And you can use her in many Operations. 

I find myself again and again coming back to Ark Royal. If I find myself with only 20 minutes to sit down and play, Ark Royal is usually the ship I pick. Oh, she’s also half the cost of Indomitable last time I looked. 

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
12,324 posts
10,458 battles

Ark Royal is one of those "perfect premiums" -- a ship that provides fun and unique game play without being overpowered.  She's well worth the money, in my opinion, especially for someone that's interested in playing Scenarios or in need of a captain trainer for the British Aircraft Carriers.  Indomitable doesn't really offer much at the moment, which is a shame.  She was fun once.

[NUWES]
Members
3,285 posts
11,850 battles

One more in favor of Ark Royal. She is just way more fun and way more useful. She also has great history and a great name. Most importantly she is a spectacular ship for operations. Her huge airgroups and 3-torp drops are very strong against the weak AA fire from the bot ships. 

Indomitable is the only CV I don't have and I must admit it hasn't impressed me seeing it in action. I'll probably get it eventually but its utility value and benefit to its team seems really low. I ran into one who spent the good part of the match trying to attack me in my Wichita. He got me eventually at the end of the match only after I took a bad salvo from a NC, but I took down 22 of his planes in the process (I do run a heavy AA build). IT seems to farm fire damage on BBs well but that is about it. It isn't terrible but Ark Royal is much better on is tier than Indomitable is on its tier. There are just more fun and more effective T8 CVs that you can get. 

[KAPPA]
Members
3,117 posts
8,822 battles

Indomitable? More like Unenjoyable... Ark is extremely unique at T6. Indomitable is... kinda a faster but worse Saipan? If you like having few planes, smaller drops than Implacable, no torps and a simple gameplay loop, go for Indomitable.

I'll be over here sipping lemonade on Ark's gloriously fun deck.

Edit: That said, I'd call Kaga the easiest premium CV. Her reserves are simply too big to fail. She can lose every single plane she sends out 9 times in a row from the very back of the map, and in that time the battle is probably about to end. Her reserves are twice the size of every other CV, and they aren't as flimsy as you'd expect, either.

Edited by Shoggoth_pinup

Members
1,226 posts
5,930 battles
13 hours ago, Sinsokira said:

As much as I love GZ I can't recommend her. She really requires a lot of experience to make work and even then is still weaker then her peers. GZ also isn't really any good as a trainer given there is no German CV line. She is a blast to play though. Kaga isn't a bad choice though.

[ASRN]
Beta Testers
718 posts
6,798 battles

Ark Royal, hands down.  At Tier VI you face less AA and have access to torp bombers.   I find that not having torps really limits what you can do with Indomitable, nevermind the increased AA at Tier VIII.    You're pretty much stuck with overhead bombing runs on BBs ad nauseum.

[RLGN]
Members
15,145 posts
26,771 battles
4 hours ago, RainbowFartingUnicorn said:

Ark Royal is my favorite carrier, but I dislike carriers in general. I mostly have it for operations, where it is stupid fun.

Once I clued on how to attack that cheating G-101 in KW, Ark became my go to for that Op. Also realizing how to DoT with either the bombs or torps, helped my damage go way up.

[SMLSK]
Beta Testers
1,373 posts
2,071 battles

Ark Royal by miles. It's just a good overall ship. If you are top tier you can harvest damage like the grim reaper. If you are bottom tier the sheer number of planes you can throw at problems make her workable.

• Cool 1

[-N-]
Members
2,228 posts
14,844 battles

I have both...  Indomitable at T8 is a basically a Sky Conqueror.  You want to do nothing but set fires, that is your ship as far as CVs go, it is a bit like a British Saipan.  Tougher planes but smaller squadrons.

Ark Royal is your all around carrier, and does well in a T6 match, against T7 and T8 you have to be decent at managing your planes and looking for soft targets.  With this CV you will learn positioning better, because of the slower planes, it best if you can move in closer to battle.   

• Cool 1