You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Destroyer_KuroshioKai

Taking the recently buffed Blyskawica out for a spin. Has the buff fixed the OWSF nerf?

34 comments in this topic

WoWS Community Contributors
3,466 posts
13,652 battles

On top of the recent gun DPM buff the ship received a main battery firing angle buff.  I have felt the only thing ever holding this ship back was being a one off and most players would not have a 19 point captain.  The ship was so so at 12 points, solid at 15 points, and by 18 points (where I added DE) a damage farming machine.  This ship just prints Witherer and Arsonist flags, a feature not always discussed with premium ships.  I keep ships around that will help keep me in combat signals, and Blyskawica is a favorite of mine.

I know there is a lot of people on the forums thinking that OWSF nerf killed the boat.  I wasnt one of them, but what do you guys think now?  Have WG fixed the issue for you?

• Cool 1

[1984]
Members
4,480 posts
21,506 battles

I picked her up during the snowflake extravaganza. Only taken her in coop because only have a 10pt captain and am focusing other lines at the moment. Seemed ok, but not sure if dpm is in line with mahans, german dd (those darn numbers, never remember which), and brit dd at tier 7, not to mention tier 8-9 dds in her mm spread...

3,466 posts
13,652 battles
5 hours ago, monpetitloup said:

I picked her up during the snowflake extravaganza. Only taken her in coop because only have a 10pt captain and am focusing other lines at the moment. Seemed ok, but not sure if dpm is in line with mahans, german dd (those darn numbers, never remember which), and brit dd at tier 7, not to mention tier 8-9 dds in her mm spread...

Wait till you can have both BFT and SE at 13 points before judging her.  That’s when I really started to feel her potential.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,093 battles

I picked it up for  coal and only have few match as I am grinding captain  (friesland captain at 13 point)     still very strong  bote IMHO even before the buff.       probably one of stronger t7 DD.    torps reload fast and guns are strong.       not sure why people do poorly with it.     I do have SE, but not BFT yet   have DE though.  :D

[S0L0]
[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,742 posts
7,281 battles

I really need t start playing this one more... Can't bring myself to start captain training and always seems to be something else going on. I've only played it a couple of times pre-buff and the concealment was a real struggle?    I'm going to give it a try again after watching...   Though,  I can farm Witherer or Arsonist far faster in Ark Royal or Indomitable I expect.     

[SALVO]
Members
57 posts
14,579 battles

Błyskawica is, due to my heritage, the ship I wanted ever since I started the game.  Since I got her, I’ve done poorly in her. 

It’s time I started working on improving my abysmal WR it this beautiful ship.  

Ever since I’ve started to watch your videos, my DD gameplay improved dramatically. 

So there,  many thanks Kuro!

• Cool 1

[CAG-1]
Members
216 posts
12,781 battles

Playing Co-ops as I grind the captain...just got BFT.....seems to help a good bit....and the torp angles seem much better.  Still don't know how the AA will do....haven't had ONE CV battle yet since the buff/upgrade.....lol....when ya want a CV in the mix...can't find one!

Guns not as fast as Mahan...but better torp reload by far.

Guns on par with Ganja...better torp reload by far....and can torp DDs....

Anyone's thoughts on the AA in randoms would be appreciated.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,725 posts
13,009 battles

A whole bunch of ships have yet to be adequately compensated for OWSF removal.

This buff certainly helps, but still doesn’t overcome the post 6.3 game.

[1984]
Members
4,480 posts
21,506 battles
3 hours ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

Wait till you can have both BFT and SE at 13 points before judging her.  That’s when I really started to feel her potential.

I think you’re right but I already have bft. PT, LS, BFT, CE, maybe AR I might have boosted capt to 12pts. Do you have a recommended build? Sorry if you mention in video, haven’t been able to watch it yet ;-)

general question, do you run aft on your dds? Since the nerf i dont run it since it boosts detection. Would you consider it on bly?

[WOLF4]
Members
394 posts
17,281 battles

I have not played the ships recently. I have always liked the Blys. I have always thought a small drop in concealment would make this ships much more competitive.

[S-N-D]
Banned
3,327 posts
7,738 battles
23 hours ago, monpetitloup said:

I think you’re right but I already have bft. PT, LS, BFT, CE, maybe AR I might have boosted capt to 12pts. Do you have a recommended build? Sorry if you mention in video, haven’t been able to watch it yet ;-)

general question, do you run aft on your dds? Since the nerf i dont run it since it boosts detection. Would you consider it on bly?

Priority Target, Preventive Maintenance, Expert Marksman, Last Stand, Survivability Expert, Basic Firing Training, Demolition Expert, Concealment Expert.

BFT, LS, PM would be 14-19 skill points in that order. I suppose you could swap BFT for Demo Expert if you preferred it.

One thing about Blys and any DD to be honest is not completely neglecting AP rounds against CAs that you happen to get in broadside with. In desperate situations you can punish them if they think all you can do is burn them.

AFT is decent for high ROF agile ships but Blys lacks the agility to really use it well, in my opinion. Her ROF is a little low too. Lo Yang and Anshan as example are two cases where harassing people out at long range is fun.

If you did go with AFT your only option is giving up concealment expert which isn't impossible to do as she has terrible stealth anyway. You will get the extended range albeit less accurate long range shots but slightly better accuracy in closer range. I'd rather have the stealth on her though.

Edited by _Caliph_

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,725 posts
13,009 battles
53 minutes ago, monpetitloup said:

I don’t run AFT on mine. 

[WAP]
Beta Testers
326 posts
11,182 battles

The AP has always seemed like hot garbage to me.  Am I missing something?

3,466 posts
13,652 battles
2 hours ago, ORPBury said:

Błyskawica is, due to my heritage, the ship I wanted ever since I started the game.  Since I got her, I’ve done poorly in her. 

It’s time I started working on improving my abysmal WR it this beautiful ship.  

Ever since I’ve started to watch your videos, my DD gameplay improved dramatically. 

So there,  many thanks Kuro!

If you would like PM me a replay of a Blyskawica game.  I’ll send you a private commentary video that might help solve some problems.

3,466 posts
13,652 battles
1 hour ago, BenAubrey said:

Playing Co-ops as I grind the captain...just got BFT.....seems to help a good bit....and the torp angles seem much better.  Still don't know how the AA will do....haven't had ONE CV battle yet since the buff/upgrade.....lol....when ya want a CV in the mix...can't find one!

Guns not as fast as Mahan...but better torp reload by far.

Guns on par with Ganja...better torp reload by far....and can torp DDs....

Anyone's thoughts on the AA in randoms would be appreciated.

The AA is trash tier.  Use good positioning that I mention in my videos and it really cuts down the CV harassment though.

3,466 posts
13,652 battles
1 hour ago, monpetitloup said:

Sorry I’m out of my office right now and can’t link my build.  It is linked in the video description like all of my new videos are.

I tend to not run AFT on my non-Russian DDs.  There are some exceptions like Akatsuki where I gun spec it but in general I like smaller gun bloom, to the extent I will run stock GFCS on my TRB boats out ships that are inefficient at mass range like the USN DDs.

3,466 posts
13,652 battles
1 hour ago, Tim__2016 said:

I have not played the ships recently. I have always liked the Blys. I have always thought a small drop in concealment would make this ships much more competitive.

The problem with that is the HP pool combined with the speed (It’s pretty damn fast) and gun alpha.  The ship hits like a truck.  

I think it suits good enough to play sort of like a Russian DD but with better torps.  Sort out the event DDs support and dealing with the enemy DDs is easy.

3,466 posts
13,652 battles
21 minutes ago, Tibson said:

The AP has always seemed like hot garbage to me.  Am I missing something?

It’s felt good to me as far as getting pen damage.  Getting close enough for citadel hits is more rare.

Try it out in the training room.  I learn a lot by testing a new ships AP.

[TARK]
Members
7,331 posts
2,839 battles

Im not very experienced at DD play (only up to tier 5 in any tech tree...

...and only a 3 point captain in Blys when i got her for coal.

...and i had fun in each match. Totally felt there was a lot of potential to do better in her too.

[WAP]
Beta Testers
326 posts
11,182 battles
28 minutes ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

It’s felt good to me as far as getting pen damage.  Getting close enough for citadel hits is more rare.

Try it out in the training room.  I learn a lot by testing a new ships AP.

You're of course right.  That's the best way to know.  My anecdotal experience was never good when I've tried it but that doesn't mean it is useless.  Only that you need to understand where it's actually a good option. 

[DVYJC]
Members
3,674 posts
8,784 battles

I really love Blyskawica, even if I can't fully explain why. I do have a 19-point commander that she shares with Friesland, although that commander is optimized for Friesland and therefore has no torpedo buffs, but Blyskawica is mostly a gunboat anyway. Plus the gorgeous 303 Squadron camo. I have appreciated the buffs and will take her out more often.

[WOLFB]
Members
439 posts
8,277 battles

Certainly love the Blyska, still working on getting that commander up to 19 points (currently at 15 or 16 i forget).

I have been wondering though, how would a .2 conceal buff work on it, would taking it from 6.8km conceal to 6.6km be too much?

Members
663 posts
5,969 battles
5 hours ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

Counter point: needing a high skill commander for the ship to function isn't a pro when it comes to how good the ship is (barring edge cases such as IFHE ships). If you need a captain that outclasses the competition to compete, then that’s a bad sign.

That said I’m not a Blyska hater. It’s my favorite tier 7 ship hands down. I’ve ran through two ranked sprints with her (pre buffs) and loved it. I never felt like I was playing down because of the ship I was in.

For me, she is essentially a Russian gunboat, but comfier. The alpha over DPM game suits what I like to do, and as long as fires cooperate with me a bit I think I can handle all of the other ships in that bracket well. You have to outplay people to win engagements, but it’s tier 7. That’s usually not a difficult task, so I don’t miss whatever 15% efficiency I lose from not playing more “meta” ships.

[-VT-]
Members
1,025 posts
27,555 battles

The buff was nice but didn't really do much, they buffed the wrong thing. It's 6.8 conceal is the killer in this ship. Not saying it should be the most stealth they just should have lowered the gap some drop it to 6.5 or 6 .4 at tier 7 you will run into DDs that out spot you by a full kilometer or more.

Edited by vikingno2
  • Cool 1

[-BSK-]
Members
484 posts
20,864 battles

one of my first premiums, always have and always will love this little Polish boat