Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Lady_Athena

How do you dodge AA flak?

53 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

1,297
[BLKRS]
Alpha Tester
1,089 posts
2,942 battles

I haven't played much CV's since the rework, but I just got into an argument in-game with someone that dodging flak is easy and just "google it"..

 

So I did...

 

and found nothing.. No videos on dodging flak, no posts written, nothing... (Except old crap which isn't useful anymore, and even then they were done so poorly you couldn't really get a handle on anything being shown or said).

 

So how do you dodge a wall of flak which:

 

1) 8/10 times spawns DIRECTLY ontop of your planes destroying half of them.

2) Spawns directly in front of you no matter how you're trying to "Avoid" them, creating an un dodgable wall of black F YOU.

3) Spawns so frequently by the time your planes turn another wall has spawned that's undodgeable right in front of your new heading.

 

Because these 3 things happen to me 9/10 times (unless its a single ship, 2 with 1 having weak AA flak).

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,724
[WPORT]
Members
7,241 posts
12,257 battles

I've got "a few" games in CV's, before and after the "re-work".

The idea about dodging flak is the notion that varying the speed and direction of the planes will help them avoid some (but probably not all) damage from incoming AA fire.

Personally, I can't say that I see a lot of difference between zig-zagging the path of the planes or going straight in.

What can help is flying near, but not too close, to a ship and having it trigger the intensified AA while your planes are at the edge of the flak bubble.  Then fly out of the bubble for a few seconds, and when the extra AA is on cool-down, fly in to attack.  The problem with this notion is that it depends upon the target ship being relatively isolated and alone.  Mutual AA fire is still challenging and can swat a squadron down quickly.

What I have seen help is to not stay in a flak bubble for a long time.
Also, plan your approach so that islands may shield your planes from some of the enemy ships for as long as possible.

It would be nice if the game allowed us to control the flight altitude.  We could better utilize natural barriers and make more stealthy approaches.

There's a youtube video (possibly several) that illustrate how to "slingshot" one's planes into a hot-zone and bypass most of the AA fire.  It takes timing and some calculation and some trial & error to get it right, though.  The idea is to approach a target from a distance and make a "dummy attack" from far away.  This sacrifices one attack from the squadron, but the majority of the squadron flies high in an "immunity zone" for a while.  When the first attack is up, the player finds their squadron nearly on top of the intended target and hopefully not having over-shot their approach to the target.  Then attack as normal, but without having been exposed to as much AA fire.
Exploiting this "game mechanic" is a nice idea.  I just wonder how long it will be before the exploit goes away after a patch removes it from the game.  :-)

Good luck, have fun, try not to linger inside flak.  :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
796
[KSC]
Members
866 posts
11,499 battles
20 minutes ago, Lady_Athena said:

I haven't played much CV's since the rework, but I just got into an argument in-game with someone that dodging flak is easy and just "google it"..

 

So I did...

 

and found nothing.. No videos on dodging flak, no posts written, nothing... (Except old crap which isn't useful anymore, and even then they were done so poorly you couldn't really get a handle on anything being shown or said).

 

So how do you dodge a wall of flak which:

 

1) 8/10 times spawns DIRECTLY ontop of your planes destroying half of them.

2) Spawns directly in front of you no matter how you're trying to "Avoid" them, creating an un dodgable wall of black F YOU.

3) Spawns so frequently by the time your planes turn another wall has spawned that's undodgeable right in front of your new heading.

 

Because these 3 things happen to me 9/10 times (unless its a single ship, 2 with 1 having weak AA flak).

You may be encountering flak during a Defensive Fire consumable.  While it doesn't spawn additional flak than normal, it does seem to enhance the accuracy.

Some tips for flak:

1) Slingshotting:

This is where you "fire" a shot off into the water.  While the animation plays and you watch the pretty pew streak to the waves, you can still control the other planes even though you aren't actively seeing them.  Use your minimap for reference.  After the attack is done, the camera will catch up to the rest of your planes.  During that "attack window", your planes don't take AA fire (because you're not actively controlling them to dodge/weave).

This works the best with bombers, though you can sometimes rocket attack from 6km out and be able to attack a ship.  While this trick minimizes AA, it reduces the planes you still have... so it's best for one way trips.  No followup attacks.

2) Left/Right Turn:

Flak doesn't shoot DIRECTLY in front of you, but it does try to follow your direction.  So when you are coming at a ship, instead of charging face first at them (which is fine if the flak isn't crazy) you can look maybe 30 degrees off to the right, and slowly hook to the left while flying through the flak zone (outer edge of AA to about 3.2km from target).  The constant "turning" tends to spoil the aim of MOST of the flak.  It's not a magic method, but it's a tool to use.

3) Speed:

According to the WIKI, Flak is "LESS LIKELY" to spawn directly in front of your planes when they are going faster.  Saving your boost so you can full throttle through the outer AA zones can be helpful in spacing the flak out enough that you can usually wiggle through.

4) Target Selection:

Solo targets, even AA-spec'd cruisers, are vulnerable when alone.  They have maybe 6-8 flak puffs at Tier 10... which isn't small, but it's dodge-able for the most part.  However when you attack two ships... even if not AA-spec'd... 5+5=10 flak puffs.  Attacking three targets?  5+5+5=15 flak puffs.  AA is designed around the overlap potential.  Solo targets are ideal, 2 targets will kill planes but is doable, and 3 targets is potentially fatal to your planes before they even reach the targets.  Lower tiers are more forgiving since the lower tiers are used for learning, but Tier 8 and above are designed around the grouping concepts above.

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
924
[TSF_1]
Members
3,301 posts
7,732 battles

@Lady_Athena Attack while constantly turning a bit. (Come in on a curved line, not straight). In a straight line, flak is predicted to be in front of you (on a tangent line) along your flight path. Turning helps alleviate this. (Essentially #2 of @Ahskance, whose advice is rock-solid)

2005317004_Dodgeflak.thumb.png.e9eaa15fc9a04d563877984ffdd680af.png

 

Let's be real, we're going after DDs a lot :). Same goes for any ship though. Is the diagram helpful? I'm considering using it with upcoming clan trainings...

  • Cool 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,300
[SSG]
Alpha Tester
5,199 posts
12,101 battles

Depends on the ship, something like Minotaur you can't see till it's shooting if they stealth build, which is a problem. 

And your right, the flak is always in front of you, or rather a percentage (I forget what percentage). It's best to know the range it starts, then start accelerating and make a left then right dodge by which point you should in most CV's be within the 3.5 km zone flak is supposed to not hit in (I say supposed because I seem to have on occasions been hit by flak when only 2.5 km away with no other ships even left in the game to shoot my planes). But it's really about changing speed and course a bit - some ships have brokenly powerful flak that needs tweaking but I find those being few and far between.

 

But honestly, the main thing is practice. Other than the weird  'wait I'm inside 3.5 km why's my planes just get chunked HP' or attacking a group of ships - which should be avoided unless you have no choice - I honestly at this point have no real issue dodging flak. Then again I had limited issues in general other than when Flak was all range and even then only some key ships. But that's because I was playing games like Combat Flight Simulator, Afterburner and Top Gun on the NES when I was little and played World of Warplanes before abandoning that flaming downward spiral of doom so honestly dodging things like it are almost second nature to me. The flak is predictable and once you learn it, it gets easier to dodge - I literally at times set up an attack run so that I dodge in to the attack angle I want.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
438 posts
16,916 battles
1 hour ago, Lady_Athena said:

So how do you dodge a wall of flak which:

 

1) 8/10 times spawns DIRECTLY ontop of your planes destroying half of them.

2) Spawns directly in front of you no matter how you're trying to "Avoid" them, creating an un dodgable wall of black F YOU.

3) Spawns so frequently by the time your planes turn another wall has spawned that's undodgeable right in front of your new heading.

1. The flak can't spawn on top of your planes. There is always a lead time, though it can get muddled if you're in overlapping flak circles.
2. Only a few high tier ships create a full wall by their lonesome. Usually you need a few to create a wall of death.
3. One ship will fire flak bursts in slow enough intervals that you can dodge them - at any tier. Once you get to two+, it depends on their positioning relative to the planes.

Tips!
1. The flak starts at well defined distance from each ship. You can anticipate that and start dodging before they poof (or by flying away from the ship so the AI shoots where you don't really want to go and your "dodge" turns the planes towards the ship you're targeting).
2. Avoid clusters of ships. More ships means more flak. Worse, it means the flak timing can overlap either creating one giant flak or constant flak.
3. Vary your speed. The flak AI is stupid. It will fire exactly the distance in front of your planes based on their direction and speed. Turning helps. Changing speed helps too, particularly for faster planes.
4. Vary your altitude. The flak AI is stupid. All of the flak will go at the altitude the planes are travelling. If you can change the altitude (by flying over an island, starting a torp run, starting bombing runs as UK cvs) you'll avoid the flak.
5. Attack! When attacking, your spare planes fly off and avoid the flak. Also, while your aiming is green, your planes take less damage. Useful for faster planes, or long aiming planes like IJN torpedo bombers.
6. Sneak! You can use islands for cover, particularly for lower flying planes to get within the minimum range of the flak guns.
7. Zoom! The faster you go, the less time it takes to get inside the minimum range of the flak guns.
8. Post-attack matters too. For some planes, your turning radius will be right at the flak range. You're usually better off finding another target than circling back, all the while getting flak spammed. And sometimes, your approach will have light AA, but the departure is over 4 ships. That's not great either.

 

But in general, battlefield awareness is the most important bit. Despite the forum's insistence to the contrary, there are certainly no-fly zones in any match where you can't profitably attack.

After that, anticipation is important. You can see the tracers from the ship before the flak actually poofs. It takes a little practice to learn the timing, similar to a cruiser angling to and fro.

Edited by Telastyn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,180
[SBS]
Members
6,136 posts

Yo might find this info from Sub_O helpful.  Many of the AA mechanics have changed making most what Sub says outdated, but I think the flak mechanics still work as described in this thread.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,638
[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,604 posts
4,223 battles
26 minutes ago, Torque64 said:

Don't dodge but embrace it....  my Mino and Smo whisper.

Some ships still at least have a fear factor for CVs. It was really satisfying to see a CV pull a fast U-turn today upon spotting my DM. That hasn't happened in a while, usually they just keep on coming and dumpster me with AP DBs. He did come back later on, but was so scared he dumped his torps too far out and they went way wide. It is nice to see my AA doing something every once in a while.

  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
904
[PIG]
[PIG]
Members
1,310 posts
6,423 battles
2 hours ago, Telastyn said:

1. The flak can't spawn on top of your planes. There is always a lead time, though it can get muddled if you're in overlapping flak circles.
2. Only a few high tier ships create a full wall by their lonesome. Usually you need a few to create a wall of death.
3. One ship will fire flak bursts in slow enough intervals that you can dodge them - at any tier. Once you get to two+, it depends on their positioning relative to the planes.

Tips!
1. The flak starts at well defined distance from each ship. You can anticipate that and start dodging before they poof (or by flying away from the ship so the AI shoots where you don't really want to go and your "dodge" turns the planes towards the ship you're targeting).
2. Avoid clusters of ships. More ships means more flak. Worse, it means the flak timing can overlap either creating one giant flak or constant flak.
3. Vary your speed. The flak AI is stupid. It will fire exactly the distance in front of your planes based on their direction and speed. Turning helps. Changing speed helps too, particularly for faster planes.
4. Vary your altitude. The flak AI is stupid. All of the flak will go at the altitude the planes are travelling. If you can change the altitude (by flying over an island, starting a torp run, starting bombing runs as UK cvs) you'll avoid the flak.
5. Attack! When attacking, your spare planes fly off and avoid the flak. Also, while your aiming is green, your planes take less damage. Useful for faster planes, or long aiming planes like IJN torpedo bombers.
6. Sneak! You can use islands for cover, particularly for lower flying planes to get within the minimum range of the flak guns.
7. Zoom! The faster you go, the less time it takes to get inside the minimum range of the flak guns.
8. Post-attack matters too. For some planes, your turning radius will be right at the flak range. You're usually better off finding another target than circling back, all the while getting flak spammed. And sometimes, your approach will have light AA, but the departure is over 4 ships. That's not great either.

 

But in general, battlefield awareness is the most important bit. Despite the forum's insistence to the contrary, there are certainly no-fly zones in any match where you can't profitably attack.

After that, anticipation is important. You can see the tracers from the ship before the flak actually poofs. It takes a little practice to learn the timing, similar to a cruiser angling to and fro.

Excellent advice, 2 is important, clusters are no attack zones, there will be so many bursts that even if some planes survive you might miss a ship as you can't see anything but bursts on the screen... You might also have a similar effect if you're surrounded by relatively distant ships but within their AA range. Best is F to save planes...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
753
[KNCOL]
Members
817 posts
2,067 battles

You go onto the forums and cry CV bad......

Jk. From what I've experienced flying in a zigzag pattern usually works but you should never expect to always dodge flak as sometimes it will appear too close in front of you before you can try and avoid it.

Another tip is to try and use islands if ever possible to get close to the enemy. With most islands being either too high or too low this can be very gimmicky and situational but I've had experiences where it has worked well. (Doing a surpise strike on a ship with TBs by predicting his path behind an island and using the same island to get a close strike is a good example)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,297
[BLKRS]
Alpha Tester
1,089 posts
2,942 battles
4 hours ago, pewpewpew42 said:

@Lady_Athena Attack while constantly turning a bit. (Come in on a curved line, not straight). In a straight line, flak is predicted to be in front of you (on a tangent line) along your flight path. Turning helps alleviate this. (Essentially #2 of @Ahskance, whose advice is rock-solid)

2005317004_Dodgeflak.thumb.png.e9eaa15fc9a04d563877984ffdd680af.png

 

Let's be real, we're going after DDs a lot :). Same goes for any ship though. Is the diagram helpful? I'm considering using it with upcoming clan trainings...

Yes, thanks :)

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,015
[USA-N]
Members
785 posts
10,723 battles

Console yourself with the knowledge that you can hurt other enemy ships, but they can only hurt your weapons. And these magically regenerate.

Consider that BBs can lose whole turrets, permanently, and torp boats can lose their weapons permanently also. This cripples their game play, as if you were to lose an entire wing of aircraft type when they are shot down.

But fear not. You can attack while concealed, across the entire map. Your torps arm instantly. You can outrun the fastest ships, and dodge torpedoes easily. You have great secondaries. You will always be alive at the end of every battle, allowing you to farm good overall stats. 

You are permanently attacking, never defending, until the game has been decided.

Don't worry about losing those aircraft to flak. The little people cannot hurt you, not really. You are a CV. You are special, and above the common rank of player.

  • Funny 1
  • Boring 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,669 posts
42,633 battles

Okay...you asked. If I turn up missing in a few days, then its because I was not supposed to say. 

When flying to a target, you have a detection circle around you. 

As you approach the target, that circle sets off the AA. 

The very moment you see the icon on right side AA in yellow, or if the circle touches the target, start banking to the target. 

Bank left and right in a steady rhythm. 

You will see the explosions appear where you once were and once they detonate, you should be turning in to them since the explosion is finished.

With practice, you are leading the flak, and then flying in to the dissipation plume. 

If you do this well, you get the basic dpm damage. But as you get closer, you also see lesser flak. 

Bear in mind, furthest away encountering flak you will bank relatively slow, then faster as you close to target. 

This is effective for DBs. 

Now AA weak spots are well known. The field of fire from AA is at its most narrow bow on so that be ideal for DBs. 

As stated above, you should never fly straight, but adjust your flight to target in an arc.

 

Now TBs are an interesting animal. They need opportunity, terrain, surprise, and speed. TBs can turn slowly left to right to dodge some flak, but they do take hits, without losing much accuracy to spread, but you can time the weaving to be a tight spread at the drop. Drop as close as you can, flooding is more possible where the torpedo protection is not present, bow and stern. You would be surprised how many Neptunes flood if you Uranus them. 

My technique is to use an island to hide my approach, fast hit and run, filthy Sanchez, Eiffel Tower, Raspberry swirl, (sorry, I name the attacks). Filthy is AP drops in the center or second turret to get that oofff moment. Eiffel tower is the graceful S turn attack that mimics a TB cross drop. Raspberry swirl is the fast drop with a lead ahead of a DD that thinks you cant hit him. This technique works on really fast moving DDs. You can either tight drop if you are confident, or shotgun drop(wide spread) ahead of the DD as he can not predict the pattern and may turn in to at least one of the torps.

The high drop from AP that is notoriously unnerving is reserved for cruisers that are paper thin. The higher the release and lead, the slower the bomb drops because you did not add plane speed to it. Its a floater, like a chip shot in golf, a popup in baseball. The bomb pens the squishy cruiser slower and detonates with the real nasty effect you would like.

Now if they know you will attack that way, they will set sectors away from the island as you come over.

So the element of surprise is key.

Now for opportunity, you want to hit isolated ships that meet the following requirements.

1. Has AA being lit up on one side by HE spam. The more HE spam hits to one side, the higher chance of attacking that side with TBs.

2. Target sails alone, but has poop AA. Yes, there are ships out there, but its not the Kremlin. And if you are down for a game of chicken, try hitting a Wooster.

3. Target is sailing in to a cap at an obvious entry point as in if you drop, they either can't turn to dodge it, or they run aground and say O.F.M.H.

4. Campers: well. if they like to smoke, give em the smoked sausage too. 

5. See fleet spread out, side by side, like they are in a western showdown. This is rare. But potato knows no limits to the disease it spreads. Even the best of players usually say..OH Crap. In that situation, you line up TBs to hit left to right or right to left. Don't swing back, just hit one, then attack the next in view. Accel, drop, accel drop, etc.

 

Think  Millenium Falcon over Endor as the ship hit one ship, then flew to next in view. At best you hit 2 ships, at worst, you turn them broadside for your team and watch the profanity from red begin. Even your team mates will think that was mean.

It is the presumption of a player sometimes that they can dodge your first pass, activate sector on other side instead of attacking side, but they wait until after you dropped, but since you accel away out of range, he is pissed. The player thinks you will swing back. Instead, you didn't. With that kind of chess game, it can lead to interesting results.

6. Sitting ship, sitting duck. If it does not move, go for it. It is especially important that you fly deep in to the red side, drop a fighter to spot so your team sees what you see, a player that has disconnected. That way your generosity is rewarded with a compliment. Share the AFK's. You make lots of friends.

7. That one BB that likes to drop HE on ships, see which ships he hits, they are 100% likely to be a BB. So notoriously HE spamming BBs become your set up guys. HE destroys AA. No AA, and that player is cursing the heavens. 

It also helps to div with an HE spamming cruiser, but you will have to protect that player, he needs you, you need him. It's a bad Bromance, but red will want to break you up. LOL

Now these are just some things I have been messing with, but to save you some early game grief, use the training room as there are ways to set different conditions. DBs, practice drops on stationary, then moving AI at differing levels of difficulty, Get the nastiest ships with AA in the room and try to dodge their flak. Specifically, you want to get ships 2 tiers above you as practice. 

It will get ugly in there, but that is what the room is for. 

And if you want live targets, get a clan mate or a div player to play the other side to do a scrimmage match. 

The beauty of it is you both practice and each gets good at it. Always escalate that training until you cant beat anything at all. 

That is how simulators work, they give you the impossible and you still try it anyway. 

Because on any given game, it is all about who makes the tactical error first. And also how one adapts to a situation. 

Train hard, and you will be the scourge of the skies in no time.

You might lose friends, gain frenemies, have a cult following. 

This is the life of a CV main. It is..the Dark Side. 

(Disclosure, I play all ship types, I like a challenge and knowing any ship makes you know what to do when facing that ship.) 

Good luck and be aware, these are just my ideas. There are many players with experience here. They will offer advice. Try all of it and see what works for you. 

All of these players worked hard to be where they are, they know stuff.

 

I am just 1 out of many. But out of many is just 1. 

<o

 

 

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
97 posts
1,366 battles

Just try to avoid the flak black smoke clouds when approaching. Slingshotting helps most of the times or finding a flak free spot inbetween the flag clouds. 
You will always take some damage (thankgod) but your whole squad won't be affected as much as when you fly right in those juicy black clouds.

See picture to maybe explain a little bit better:

image.png.3455dd0beec2aa850c2acbf84ec0b446.png

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,971
Members
2,046 posts
52 battles
8 hours ago, Lady_Athena said:

1) 8/10 times spawns DIRECTLY ontop of your planes destroying half of them.

2) Spawns directly in front of you no matter how you're trying to "Avoid" them, creating an un dodgable wall of black F YOU.

3) Spawns so frequently by the time your planes turn another wall has spawned that's undodgeable right in front of your new heading.

1) Does not happen. There is however invisible flak as flak damage and flak animation are two completely independent entities. Flak damage is server based, while the flak animation (aka what you see) is client based. The latter can have some horrendous rendering delay. Also just because the animation has stopped rendering (e.g. if you cut line of sight) doesn't mean the damage zone disappears.

Here's an example of that:

2/3) Flak always spawns in the same interval as well as so that it always gives you the same time to react regardless of how fast you go. That means it doesn't matter whether you're going 150kn or 300kn, you'll always have about 2-3 seconds before you hit a flak wall. Naturally this means the faster you go, the further away flak spawns. It also always spawns in the same interval. Speed also determines the maximum width as well as how spread out a wall may spawn. The slower you are, the more narrow and dense. The faster you go, the more wide and spread out the flak wall will be. It is basically always recommended to go as fast as possible because of that as wider and more spread out flak tends to create more openings for you to exploit.

And because flak always takes your momentary speed and heading into account as well as your momentary accel-/deceleration it is possible to cheese a flak wall or two simply by going fast initially then slowing down. Do also note that flak is terrible at compensating altitude. If you attack over an island and it e.g. makes you descend over the other side you'll usually avoid flak by default as it will spawn near sea level which will be way below your regular cruising altitude.

The thing mentioned in 1) is also very important. Flak actually spawns immediately but the animation has a delay on it, meaning the damage zone actually disappears faster than the animation. It is entirely possible to fly through supposed flak bursts completely without taking damage as the damage zone has already despawned IF you know the timings well.

In the end that is all it comes down to. You need to learn the timings and behavior of flak WITHOUT the visual cues the game gives you because the visual cues are client based and therefore can be deceiving. Once you enter AA, start dodging immediately and don't wait until flak has spawned. You can give yourself additional time again by moving fast initially but slowing down, but on the other hand DO NOT accelerate unless you know the timing is right. Accelerating in the wrong moment can easily lead to you eating invisible flak due to the aforementioned behavior of flak and rendering delay.

Pretty much all of the old guides are still valid as flak hasn't really changed all that much. The only thing that can really be added to those is that flak stops spawning at 3.5km of a ship. However if flak was spawned before that it will still be active regardless of whether you cross the 3.5km line in the meantime or the animation stops appearing. Again, invisible flak is a thing.

One last thing regarding invis flak: More often than not tracers will spawn but not the actual bursts. Flak tracers look different than the simple background noise that a ship showers you with. These can be used to determine the location of invisible flak bursts. They can also be used to identify the approximate placement of flak before the bursts become visible, giving you perhaps an extra half a second to react.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
712
[NUWES]
Members
3,298 posts
11,887 battles
10 hours ago, Lady_Athena said:

I haven't played much CV's since the rework, but I just got into an argument in-game with someone that dodging flak is easy and just "google it"..

 

So I did...

 

and found nothing.. No videos on dodging flak, no posts written, nothing... (Except old crap which isn't useful anymore, and even then they were done so poorly you couldn't really get a handle on anything being shown or said).

 

So how do you dodge a wall of flak which:

 

1) 8/10 times spawns DIRECTLY ontop of your planes destroying half of them.

2) Spawns directly in front of you no matter how you're trying to "Avoid" them, creating an un dodgable wall of black F YOU.

3) Spawns so frequently by the time your planes turn another wall has spawned that's undodgeable right in front of your new heading.

 

Because these 3 things happen to me 9/10 times (unless its a single ship, 2 with 1 having weak AA flak).

I won't reiterate what people have posted earlier. There are already several good pictures on how to do it.

That being said you should understand that despite what people will tell you sometimes you can't dodge it. Weak AA ships will put out a flak bubble or 2. Those are easy to dodge. You should never be hitting them if you  are careful and they don't do much damage even if you do hit them. 

Heavy AA ships with upgrades and DFAA can throw out walls of 6 in fairly rapid bursts and they do tremendous damage.  Those are so big you can't always turn or change speed to dodge those completely especially with CVs like Kaga and Enerprise that have massive airgroups that take up a lot of space or planes that don't turn well. Even if you can't completely dodge the flak, turn to minimize the number of planes that hit it. Don't hit it dead on.  Flak damages every plane that hits it. Flack with DFAA, captain skills and modules will out your entire airgroup if you plow into it. Turn to at lest minimize the number that hit it. 

Another trick you can do if you are about to hit a flak cloud is trigger the attack run to start right before you hit it. Two things will happen at that point:

1. The attack group detaches from the rest of the airgroup and the remaining planes gain a lot of altitude so they doesn't really take much if any damage. (I am not 100% sure if they take damage, but they don't seem to and if they do it isn't much); 

2. The remaining planes which are making the attack (TBs and DBs in particular) will either gain altitude (DBs) or drop down (TBs) to get into position to attack, and the sudden altitude change can jump them over or duck them under the flak if you do it right, and

3. The planes on the attack run gain a bit of a damage reduction so even if they hit the flak it will reduce the damage and some may survive to drop although they may not live long after that. 

Level bombers and rocket planes don't hop over or under the flak (#2 above). They'll get a damage reduction (I believe it is smaller for rocket planes) but they will plow through the flak and they gain the benefit of #1 and #3.

Ideally you are close enough to actually attack when you do this but even if you aren't, it is a useful trick to keep your planes alive. 

Lastly, for TBs you can trigger the heal as you are entering the AA bubble to mitigate flak hits a bit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
712
[NUWES]
Members
3,298 posts
11,887 battles
2 hours ago, El2aZeR said:

 

In the end that is all it comes down to. You need to learn the timings and behavior of flak WITHOUT the visual cues the game gives you because the visual cues are client based and therefore can be deceiving. Once you enter AA, start dodging immediately and don't wait until flak has spawned. You can give yourself additional time again by moving fast initially but slowing down, but on the other hand DO NOT accelerate unless you know the timing is right. Accelerating in the wrong moment can easily lead to you eating invisible flak due to the aforementioned behavior of flak and rendering delay.

^ This. 

@Lady_Athena A lot of it is practice until you get used to the timing of how the bursts appear. It also takes a bit of practice to lean whose AA is actually dangerous. I use the attack animation and speed to minimize flak much more often than turning,  especially if I am already planning to attack.

Lastly, speed is important. Boost into the attack if you can. Flak doesn't form close to the ship (unless from another ship). I think someone mentioned that it stops forming at 3.5km. The faster you go through the flak zone the less of it you have to worry about. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,462
[WG]
Administrator, Developers, Community Department, WG Staff, In AlfaTesters
4,323 posts
14,735 battles

Aloha,

Just Hapa's 2 credits on this. What is stated above is good advice, but I have found varying my speed A LOT as you go into an attack run helps as well.

Mahalo,

-Hapa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,674 posts
13,384 battles
7 minutes ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

Aloha,

Just Hapa's 2 credits on this. What is stated above is good advice, but I have found varying my speed A LOT as you go into an attack run helps as well.

Mahalo,

-Hapa

Or just use Graf Zepplin and fighter jet past all flak :fish_haloween:

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,357
[S0L0]
[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,747 posts
7,291 battles
1 hour ago, Tzarevitch said:

I won't reiterate what people have posted earlier. There are already several good pictures on how to do it.

That being said you should understand that despite what people will tell you sometimes you can't dodge it. Weak AA ships will put out a flak bubble or 2. Those are easy to dodge. You should never be hitting them if you  are careful and they don't do much damage even if you do hit them. 

Heavy AA ships with upgrades and DFAA can throw out walls of 6 in fairly rapid bursts and they do tremendous damage.  Those are so big you can't always turn or change speed to dodge those completely especially with CVs like Kaga and Enerprise that have massive airgroups that take up a lot of space or planes that don't turn well. Even if you can't completely dodge the flak, turn to minimize the number of planes that hit it. Don't hit it dead on.  Flak damages every plane that hits it. Flack with DFAA, captain skills and modules will out your entire airgroup if you plow into it. Turn to at lest minimize the number that hit it. 

Another trick you can do if you are about to hit a flak cloud is trigger the attack run to start right before you hit it. Two things will happen at that point:

1. The attack group detaches from the rest of the airgroup and the remaining planes gain a lot of altitude so they doesn't really take much if any damage. (I am not 100% sure if they take damage, but they don't seem to and if they do it isn't much); 

2. The remaining planes which are making the attack (TBs and DBs in particular) will either gain altitude (DBs) or drop down (TBs) to get into position to attack, and the sudden altitude change can jump them over or duck them under the flak if you do it right, and

3. The planes on the attack run gain a bit of a damage reduction so even if they hit the flak it will reduce the damage and some may survive to drop although they may not live long after that. 

Level bombers and rocket planes don't hop over or under the flak (#2 above). They'll get a damage reduction (I believe it is smaller for rocket planes) but they will plow through the flak and they gain the benefit of #1 and #3.

Ideally you are close enough to actually attack when you do this but even if you aren't, it is a useful trick to keep your planes alive. 

Lastly, for TBs you can trigger the heal as you are entering the AA bubble to mitigate flak hits a bit. 

Wouldn't add much to this as it is well written and spot on...      I  might add and it may have already been mentioned....   Flak tends to predict where you are heading so always a good idea as you plan your attack run to feign direction so the flak spawns in a place you can comfortably turn around it and still make an accurate attack run.   In my experience usually in any flak cloud there's a small space..Very much like most torpedo spreads do, You usually can safely run most squads through that space if caught off guard.     Of course DFAA and AA builds can make this way more difficult as the flak is a lot more expansive and thick.   You will get a feel for the timing of it with experience.  While its not as meaningless as often shouted here...flak clouds that are not boosted by AA builds can be a lot less worry.       

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
914
[ANKER]
Members
1,421 posts
11,492 battles

From the other point of view.... since flak can be gamed, when I'm in Friesland, I turn off AA until planes heading to me, and then once detected or about 3.5 to 4km out I turn on, sector, then DFAA.  Squadron then usually chooses to take some vacation time and a sick day or two. 

After than the trick that most CV's will use is called "Go to other side of map"

Edited by YouSatInGum
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×