You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Anij

WOWS -Profanity filter

39 comments in this topic

Members
519 posts
19,411 battles

Why is it the forum has a profanity filter and the in game chat doesn't have a profanity filter

So when I say on the forum all BB players are camping, boring [edited] up whiny [edited], dumb, [edited] loser snipers..

The forum system erases my profanity..

Why cant we have this on in game chat?

WOT has this feature

Can this not be implemented for in game chat? If it is on in game chat then why isn't the system set to default on setting?

Edited by Anij
  • Cool 3
  • Boring 5

[WORX]
Members
11,922 posts
19,472 battles
6 minutes ago, Anij said:

Why is it the forum has a profanity filter and the in game chat doesn't have a profanity filter

DL Aslain and you can censor any chat bad words HOWEVER,

That doesn't ease or change you chat ban...

Edited by Navalpride33

Members
108 posts
5,209 battles
8 minutes ago, Anij said:

So when I say on the forum all BB players are camping, boring [edited] up whiny [edited], dumb, [edited] loser snipers..

potty mouth 

• Funny 1

[PVE]
Members
4,788 posts
21,093 battles

Processing power and the lack of an active connection to the word processing part of the servers ? 

Forums are word processing documents.  Game play chat I don't think are; nor, connected to the part of the servers that scan word documents.....   I'm not sure but that sounds logical.

• Cool 1

Members
108 posts
5,209 battles
1 minute ago, STINKWEED_ said:

Yeah, that's really $%^&* up!

hahaha~!

[RBMKI]
Members
371 posts
6,248 battles

Simple answer: Fear of substandard players getting harassed too much and leaving the game.

Chat is not filtered, but scanned by Gestapo enforcer types so that they have a  way of keeping complainers oppressed through bans. Filters will still hsow that something terrible was said. Perceived enforcement makes lessor players feel like they are getting their way. Don't speak out about the white elephant in the room, or you suffer. Obviously the company feels that a better MM or battle system might ruin their game, or worse, even hurt their pride. Makes a great conspiracy rant, yes?

Disclaimer: I was just kidding and had a bit of pointed fun..... :Smile_trollface:

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[MEIST]
Members
1,505 posts
5,746 battles

Or........follow me on this, You could act like an adult and not use language that would need to be censored.

• Cool 6
  • Sad 1
  • Boring 2

[GOB]
Members
2,485 posts

People will say it's not technically possible but it is. You can also have auto warning for language followed by insta kicks as well.  been around for decades.  Very simple easy to deploy and CHEAP.  The only reason not to is because you just don't want to.

Col Out

[SALVO]
Members
25,806 posts
28,077 battles
45 minutes ago, Anij said:

WOT has this feature

Can this not be implemented for in game chat? If it is on in game chat then why isn't the system set to default on setting?

Honestly, I don't see that the filter erases profanities.  The way I see it, it's just turned "[ edited ]" into a new profanity, because you KNOW that it replaces a profanity.

If WG really wanted to erase profanities, it should outright remove them without replacing them with a place holder that everyone knows is replacing the profanity.

[BBQ]
Beta Testers
202 posts
12 minutes ago, jager_geist said:

Or........follow me on this, You could act like an adult and not use language that would need to be censored.

Are you seriously saying adults do not use foul language?

• Cool 2
  • Boring 2

[GOB]
Members
2,485 posts
10 minutes ago, jager_geist said:

Response # 2330004993004993002020299  from a poster who didn't read or understand the OP.  So typical here.  People so quick to be a smartA to others without even reading the post.  He didn't say he wants to swear.. it's called an EXAMPLE he gave to show how the forums auto censor.  

So Follow me on this.....  think before you post...won't be so embarrassing.  better yet.. don't be a forum troll looking for people to ridicule.

• Cool 1
  • Confused 2
  • Boring 2

[RBMKI]
Members
371 posts
6,248 battles
14 minutes ago, jager_geist said:

As if most adults actually did that in real life..... lolololzers

• Boring 1

[SALVO]
Members
25,806 posts
28,077 battles
2 minutes ago, Col_Nasty said:

People will say it's not technically possible but it is. You can also have auto warning for language followed by insta kicks as well.  been around for decades.  Very simple easy to deploy and CHEAP.  The only reason not to is because you just don't want to.

Col Out

I guess the problem I see is that some peoples' speech patterns are so deeply ingrained that they're just about incapable of speaking or writing without using profanities.  For example, some people just can't speak a complete paragraph or sentence without using the F-word as an adjective at least once.  And does WG really want to be insta-kicking half its player base (just a wild guess, BTW) for speaking/writing the way they normally do in real life?  I'm not sure that it's realistic to expect people to change something that's become this ingrained.

Also consider that this is supposed to be more of an adult game, given that the average player is in his late 30's, if I remember correctly.  Should WG hold the player base to a standard that one would expect for a kid's game when the player base is primarily middle aged adults?

BTW, I'm asking these as philosophical questions, not actually defending the overuse of obscenities.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
25,806 posts
28,077 battles
18 minutes ago, jager_geist said:

In what world in the year 2020 is not swearing considered acting like an adult?  That might be expected if you're in a courtroom or in a church, but it seems like an utter fantasy in real life.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 2

[WG]
Administrator, Developers, Community Department, WG Staff, In AlfaTesters
4,252 posts
14,677 battles

Just my 2 credits.

I played Wot for a long time, that chat filter didn't exist for most of WoT's existence...

Personally (this isn't WeeGee's policy, but I would rather our community learn to self police THEMSELVES to be respectful. And we don't have that filter in game, but I hear all the time how much better our community is still regardless...

I will push this suggestion up the chain though!

Mahalo,

-Hapa

• Cool 4
  • Confused 1

Members
108 posts
5,209 battles

...on a totally unrelated note, i won a ship in a crate, can i give it away?

[ERN]
Modder, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
10,893 posts
4,881 battles
10 minutes ago, Y_v said:

...on a totally unrelated note, i won a ship in a crate, can i give it away?

ok what is your password?

Spoiler

joking, plz don't ban me wargaming

• Funny 1
  • Confused 1

Beta Testers
3,280 posts
26,944 battles
1 hour ago, Anij said:

WOT has this feature

Virgin ears hurt Huh ?

[WOLFD]
Members
421 posts
3,712 battles
55 minutes ago, Crucis said:

I guess the problem I see is that some peoples' speech patterns are so deeply ingrained that they're just about incapable of speaking or writing without using profanities.

Sad, but true.After 24 years in the Navy I drop F-bombs without even thinking about it.

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
31,248 posts
9,617 battles
1 hour ago, Bguk said:

Are you seriously saying adults do not use foul language?

Not when they know upfront it has consequences attached, that they're going to complain about later.

Adults understand cause and effect and consequences, they don't continually say the same things, get the same chat bans, and make the same complaints about it, when there's nothing to be gained.

Body hair and creases do not an adult make.....

• Cool 3

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,269 posts
1 hour ago, MudRaker227 said:

As if most adults actually did that in real life..... lolololzers

It depends on the context.

Working around the house or hanging out with a friend?  Sure, no filters.

On a conference call at work with corp?  Dropping curse words and "telling it like it is" might get one a private meeting with one's manager.

In this game, there are rules that WG has defined.  One needs to adapt their behavior to those rules and policies, in the same way as above, or accept the outcome.  It is often expected of a well adjusted adult to adapt to their environment and it's context.

• Cool 1

[STURM]
Members
727 posts
6,006 battles

So, the OP has gone from whining about his chat ban to requesting a profanity filter.

This isn't some guy who is super offended by some four letter words, this is a guy who wants WG to prevent him from getting chat banned because he can't be bothered to just not say anything.

• Boring 1

[WG]
Administrator, Developers, Community Department, WG Staff, In AlfaTesters
4,252 posts
14,677 battles
1 hour ago, BoJohno said:

Sad, but true.After 24 years in the Navy I drop F-bombs without even thinking about it.

Shipmate,

If I can filter myself after 22 years in the Navy, I think you can too! :)

:Smile_izmena:

Mahalo

-Hapa (FCC Ret)

• Cool 5
  • Boring 1