You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Captain_Rawhide

Moskva vs Worcester

20 comments in this topic

[WOLFG]
Members
999 posts

I am in a position to free experience to one of these ships through tier IX ( will still have over a million free experience left when I'm done).  I can't stand the thought of another tier IX grind.  I know they are very different play styles.  My situation is this:

1.  I have DM, Mino, Smolensk and Henry.  No other tier X ships.

2.  I don't like playing anything but Cruisers.  I will only play Randoms.

3.  I want to do this before the Legendary Upgrades get locked out.

4.  My personal feeling is that Seattle is complete trash and Donskoi is an okay tier nine ship.  I like playing the Russian line, but I also like DM.  I don't see allot of Moskvas being played.  I am assuming they have been power creeped to death.

5.  I am an average player.

Any comments are appreciated.  Thanks

Edited by Captain_Rawhide

[SRBL]
Members
533 posts
13,352 battles

Love my Wos. Huge toolkit of consumables and once you get the firing arcs down you can waifu an island and create high levels of sodium with your HE cancer spam. 

[PROJX]
Beta Testers
785 posts
4,952 battles

Wooster plays more similar to Seattle than Donkey does to Moskva. Moskva is more of a super cruiser or small BB

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
12,313 posts
17,497 battles

Moskva might be better over all but Worcester is a island camping monster so more situational. 

Having said that keep your Free XP for Free XP ships. Take your time and enjoy the ride in the tech tree.

Cheers.

• Cool 2

[-K-]
Members
8,491 posts
14,883 battles
4 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

How to waste FXP 101.

While I'm inclined to agree, it's not really a waste if it was the intended use of the player in the first place.

• Cool 2

[-TKS-]
Members
836 posts
15,641 battles

i say spend fxp anyway you want to also  i think the Worcester is better since its cancer but if you want the legendary mod then the moskva would be the one to go for since its legendary module is "better" 

[TBW]
Members
10,730 posts
18,435 battles
3 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

While I'm inclined to agree, it's not really a waste if it was the intended use of the player in the first place.

2 minutes ago, EyE_dYe_QuIck said:

i say spend fxp anyway you want to also  i think the Worcester is better since its cancer but if you want the legendary mod then the moskva would be the one to go for since its legendary module is "better" 

True, it is yours to do with as you please. I say Moskva, I like straight firing guns.

[4HIM]
[4HIM]
Beta Testers
2,162 posts
15,392 battles

Both good ships, and have different roles.  I see the Wor as a DD killer and support ship for team DDs, though she is VERY capable in killing other CAs with rapid fire AP, and was a Smolensk before the Smoly...burn a BB good.

Moskva is a CA support ship in my mind, she can smoke other CAs, can burn up BBs, but not as easy to maneuver, and isn't to bad against DDs.   She gives up maneuver for better armor, though the Wor isn't as easy to put down as one would think.

[-AGW-]
Members
1,005 posts
15,260 battles

I can only say I wasn't terribly impressed by Moskva (or Smolensk for that matter). D. Donskoi is a much more useful ship for me.

[NUWES]
Members
3,285 posts
11,857 battles
1 hour ago, Captain_Rawhide said:

I am in a position to free experience to one of these ships through tier IX ( will still have over a million free experience left when I'm done).  I can't stand the thought of another tier IX grind.  I know they are very different play styles.  My situation is this:

1.  I have DM, Mino, Smolensk and Henry.  No other tier X ships.

2.  I don't like playing anything but Cruisers.  I will only play Randoms.

3.  I want to do this before the Legendary Upgrades get locked out.

4.  My personal feeling is that Seattle is complete trash and Donskoi is an okay tier nine ship.  I like playing the Russian line, but I also like DM.  I don't see allot of Moskvas being played.  I am assuming they have been power creeped to death.

5.  I am an average player.

Any comments are appreciated.  Thanks

I don't think the legendaries are being locked out. My understanding is they will be more available now and are being revised. Moskva has been power-crept a lot by Salingrad and the other true Large Cruisers. It is still a good ship for those of use who can't get Stalin though. 

Which to pick really depends on your playstyle. Mosvka is a tanky, bow-tanking gunboat. Worcester likes the island waifus and is more of an area control boat. Worcester does more theoretical damage, Mosvka does better quality damage. Worcester is much better against DDs and CVs, while Mosvka's radar is longer ranged. 

Personally, I like my USN cruisers and I like Worcester but DM plays the same style and is generally better. The only thing DM misses out on is not having hydro and DFAA at the same time. Worcester (like Cleveland and Seattle) pretty  much requires at least 14 point captain and that leaves little for anything else. If you haven't reached that level Worcester can be difficult to use. Normally CLs are better against DDs than CAs, and Worcester IS better than DM at this but not by very much, whereas the benefits DM gets from its heavier SHS shells and improved autobounce angles are huge. I have little reason to use Worcester with DM around. Worcester's AA is a bit better but not by enough that you will ever notice. 

Mosvka just provides different capability. Its about as heavy as a CA gets without being truly a BC (or large cruiser, whichever term you prefer). It can bow-tank BBs under some circumstances. It has heavy Soviet railguns. It has Soviet radar. Its biggest downside is it is not at all stealthy and its size and tendency to be a stationary bow-tanker makes it vulnerable to CVs. 

Given what you have I would do Mosvka next over Worcester just for the different playstyle. 

• Cool 1

[CO-OP]
Members
2,291 posts
26,712 battles
1 hour ago, Tzarevitch said:

I don't think the legendaries are being locked out. My understanding is they will be more available now and are being revised. Moskva has been power-crept a lot by Salingrad and the other true Large Cruisers. It is still a good ship for those of use who can't get Stalin though. 

Which to pick really depends on your playstyle. Mosvka is a tanky, bow-tanking gunboat. Worcester likes the island waifus and is more of an area control boat. Worcester does more theoretical damage, Mosvka does better quality damage. Worcester is much better against DDs and CVs, while Mosvka's radar is longer ranged. 

Personally, I like my USN cruisers and I like Worcester but DM plays the same style and is generally better. The only thing DM misses out on is not having hydro and DFAA at the same time. Worcester (like Cleveland and Seattle) pretty  much requires at least 14 point captain and that leaves little for anything else. If you haven't reached that level Worcester can be difficult to use. Normally CLs are better against DDs than CAs, and Worcester IS better than DM at this but not by very much, whereas the benefits DM gets from its heavier SHS shells and improved autobounce angles are huge. I have little reason to use Worcester with DM around. Worcester's AA is a bit better but not by enough that you will ever notice. 

Mosvka just provides different capability. Its about as heavy as a CA gets without being truly a BC (or large cruiser, whichever term you prefer). It can bow-tank BBs under some circumstances. It has heavy Soviet railguns. It has Soviet radar. Its biggest downside is it is not at all stealthy and its size and tendency to be a stationary bow-tanker makes it vulnerable to CVs. 

Given what you have I would do Mosvka next over Worcester just for the different playstyle. 

^^This.

@Captain_Rawhide, keep in mind that the UU are going to be "rebalanced."  So, grinding any UU at this time is a dice roll on what you will eventually get.

Edited by HamptonRoads

[WOLFG]
Members
999 posts
2 minutes ago, HamptonRoads said:

^^This.

@Captain_Rawhide, also keep in mind that the UU are going to be "rebalanced."  So, grinding any UU at this time is a dice roll on what you will eventually get.

By 'locked out', I mean they will need to be started as of February and then need to be finished before the beginning of next year. Then they will be placed behind the regrind wall.   That for me is 'locked out' since I will never regrind a line.  So I need to get it started before February (I think the date is the 22nd).

[BOMBL]
Members
1,203 posts
15,199 battles

IMO the Worchester UU isn't worth it. Hope that helps. Moscva is a solid bote and UU is useful.

[CO-OP]
Members
2,291 posts
26,712 battles
2 minutes ago, Captain_Rawhide said:

By 'locked out', I mean they will need to be started as of February and then need to be finished before the beginning of next year. Then they will be placed behind the regrind wall.   That for me is 'locked out' since I will never regrind a line.  So I need to get it started before February (I think the date is the 22nd).

The deadline to start the current upgrade mission chain is before the next patch drops (likely o'dark-thirty on Feb 12,) what I want to emphasize is that whichever upgrade you decide to grind, the end product may not be what is currently available.  Just be aware of this.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,348 posts
22,147 battles

According to FLAMU, the Moskva legendary ranks in his top 5 best legendary modules.

You see a ton of Moskva's in Clan battles. 

Wooster is a good ship in good hands, most played in Clan battles are being replaced by Smolensk or Venezia. 

[T-CF]
Members
551 posts
3,130 battles

Moskva is the baby Stalingrad. It’s AP is still ridiculous. It’s HE is still ridiculous. Everything about the Moskva is ridiculous and it’s only balancing feature is how boring it is to play a Moskva until someone eats your broadside for dinner which, may I add, should almost be never. Another downside to the Moskva is that it’s not for cheap captains. Other than that, Moskva is the easy tech ship mode of most heavy cruisers. She’s rivaled by Yoshino, Des Moines, Alaska, Stalingrad and Zao for different reasons. 

If you want a fun ship out of the bag, and you’re that serious to skip a ship, go with the Worcester. I think you’ll get more mileage out of her.

Members
3,354 posts
17,027 battles

I think Moskva is the better ship but I don't have Worcester so what the hell do I know!