You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Prothall

Protected Match Making

12 comments in this topic

Members
890 posts
14,146 battles

Everyone knows certain tiers have it and newer players have it.

Many people are complaining about awful game play in general.

I know having enough people to actually play is sometimes an issue, but what if tier 8-10 had a protected MM too?

Anyone who has played less than 2000 random battles gets the protected MM so they can blast each other and bots.

I know there are disadvantages, but the inexperienced players would learn their ships and maybe learn a little about what it takes to win.

The experienced player might avoid a ton of frustration.  Just a thought...

Edited by Prothall
spelling error
  • Boring 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
27,460 posts
14,821 battles

I could see protected MM for anyone in a new tier for the ship type for limited amount of time to give some time for those that have to do it the hard way to get their ships upgraded.

Members
188 posts
18,850 battles

To be honest i don't think number of battles equates to a better player all the time... like me i have a lot of battles but still suck.

• Funny 1

[CTU]
Members
142 posts
17,842 battles
3 hours ago, Torque64 said:

To be honest i don't think number of battles equates to a better player all the time... like me i have a lot of battles but still suck.

saw you earlier in your smolensk... i don't think you suck, you did however end up with a bad team.

[-VT-]
Members
1,019 posts
27,480 battles

It not a all of the time solution, just a majority of the time solution. Sounds like something that could help; I think that a winning parentage threshold would be good in match making.  Nothing crazy; below 30% win rate you play in that pool. 30% and above win rate are for everyone else this puts people in a area that are probably new to the game or don't give a crap about winning together. No this is not prefect but it would help over all experience in my opinion.  

[ARGSY]
Members
22,245 posts
16,204 battles
6 hours ago, Prothall said:

Everyone knows certain tiers have it and newer players have it.

Many people are complaining about awful game play in general.

I know having enough people to actually play is sometimes an issue, but what if tier 8-10 had a protected MM too?

Anyone who has played less than 2000 random battles gets the protected MM so they can blast each other and bots.

I know there are disadvantages, but the inexperienced players would learn their ships and maybe learn a little about what it takes to win.

The experienced player might avoid a ton of frustration.  Just a thought...

Sounds like another iteration of the old whine, "I don't want noobs on my team!"

In addition, playing a large number of battles at a given tier does NOT actually guarantee competence. So your basic premise is flawed from the start.

[-VT-]
Members
1,019 posts
27,480 battles
16 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Sounds like another iteration of the old whine, "I don't want noobs on my team!"

In addition, playing a large number of battles at a given tier does NOT actually guarantee competence. So your basic premise is flawed from the start.

And your categorizing him and him as whining, is well just poor on your part. Where in his premise is flawed?

Everyone knows certain tiers have it and newer players have it. (Thanks seem correct)

Many people are complaining about awful game play in general.(Thanks is defiantly correct)

I know having enough people to actually play is sometimes an issue, but what if tier 8-10 had a protected MM too? (This one I am not sure of que time are normally fairly quick, but it is more a question not a premise)

Anyone who has played less than 2000 random battles gets the protected MM so they can blast each other and bots. (This is a proposed solution to the above question if I read this correctly)

He never stated the it guarantees competence, but I would venture to say it sure as hell gives competence a chance to develop, which is the point.  

You neither address or considered what this poster was trying bring up. To quote a Arlo Guthrie song you just said "Shut-Up Kid" as a answer;  I would guess your better than this.

[ARGSY]
Members
22,245 posts
16,204 battles
2 minutes ago, vikingno2 said:

Where in his premise is flawed?

The premise that having 2000 random battles or more would grant competence at Tier 8. Some people NEVER improve. That's why I think his premise is flawed.

There is nothing that will bestow competence on people who don't want to go out of their way to seek it. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

[WOLFG]
Members
31,251 posts
9,617 battles
45 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

To be fair though, playing T10 after only a few hundred battles does guarantee inexperience.

The basic premise is no more flawed than having to be a certain age to vote.

[ARGSY]
Members
22,245 posts
16,204 battles
1 minute ago, Skpstr said:

The basic premise is no more flawed than having to be a certain age to vote.

Now there's an argument we don't want to get started on here! 

The other problem with OP's suggestion is that it would make things much more difficult for the matchmaker. 

The only way inexperienced players are going to learn is by playing against experienced players. And they aren't going to get that by huddling in a protected box with other inexperienced players and bots, learning bad habits that they'll get punished for the instant they step out of the high-tier wading pool. This is why stepping out of low tier protected MM is so brutal, and OP wants to do that again?

No, thanks.  All you'll do is breed another crop of incompetents who either bot or YOLO their way through their quota, or play it out at lower tiers, so they can play "unrestricted" as soon as they hit T8.

• Cool 1

[NX01]
Members
195 posts
4,644 battles

You are perverting the point. I don’t think he is whining, hell, even good players have it rough when you get a new ship/tier. And yes, some players never improve, but you are looking at an average stat, so if you say 3-4K games, even if you have improved, your average will remain low and the climb up is slow and arduous. So I think a grace period of let’s say 30 matches would be sufficient.

[-VT-]
Members
1,019 posts
27,480 battles
15 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

The premise that having 2000 random battles or more would grant competence at Tier 8. Some people NEVER improve. That's why I think his premise is flawed.

There is nothing that will bestow competence on people who don't want to go out of their way to seek it. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

As I pointed out in my post, nobody ever said it is guaranteed competence; but having some number of games under your belt sure gives a person a chance to attain it.  I don't not think that  number of games in the whole picture and I believe 2000 is a bit much. I suggesting a winning %, possibly a win percentage as of a certain number of game mark.  I could be wrong I am very much hoping someone with a better idea enlightens me.