You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Maddau

Lack of Obtainable Tier IV Premiums

51 comments in this topic

[CS7]
Members
268 posts
4,575 battles

If Wargaming wants more low tier gameplay by experienced players (AKA "seal clubbing"), in addition to the hated Research Bureau, they should offer premiums for experienced players' high tier captains at tier 4.  Tier 4 is protected from being up-tiered past five, while still offering all currently available game modes (including the dreaded tier 4 aircraft carriers), making it ideal for low tier gaming.  However, this is the tier that offers the fewest premiums, and most of those are not available for purchase for resources or doubloons.  I'm sure there are plenty of WWI or 1920 era ships that can be turned into premiums at this level.  Any thoughts on why Wargaming seems to be neglecting premiums at tier 4?

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
15,152 posts
4,766 battles

You don't have enough games to qualify as a seal clubber.  That aside, there are a number of T4 premiums.  One thing that restricts T4 clubbing, though, is that sub-T5 tiers restrict rewards such as daily missions. Most players with beaucoup games don't want to club there.

Edited by iDuckman

[GRAVE]
Members
1,409 posts
19,864 battles

1: putting an experienced captain with a high point commander at a tier where most ships they'll face are new players with almost no commander with more than 5 points is asking for the new players to not have a good time.

2: T5 and up are required for missions and Directives, so there is no point for experienced players playing lower than T5

3: T5 is generally where premiums actually start making notably better credits than tech tree counterparts

[SYN]
Members
8,256 posts
14,111 battles

Advanced issue found

3 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

That aside, there are a number of T4 premiums.  

I believe there are actually only 2 t4 premiums if you don't count alpha/beta reward ships and banned OP ships.

The tier with the least number of available premiums. 

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
15,152 posts
4,766 battles

[for some reason the bloody editor won't let me quote you, @Kapitan_Wuff]

Ishi, Youbarely.   You're right!  That is odd.  Maybe the OP has a point.

Cynically, WG can't charge enough for them?

Edited by iDuckman

Members
3,792 posts
23,987 battles
1 hour ago, Maddau said:

If Wargaming wants more low tier gameplay by experienced players (AKA "seal clubbing"), in addition to the hated Research Bureau, they should offer premiums for experienced players' high tier captains at tier 4.  Tier 4 is protected from being up-tiered past five, while still offering all currently available game modes (including the dreaded tier 4 aircraft carriers), making it ideal for low tier gaming.  However, this is the tier that offers the fewest premiums, and most of those are not available for purchase for resources or doubloons.  I'm sure there are plenty of WWI or 1920 era ships that can be turned into premiums at this level.  Any thoughts on why Wargaming seems to be neglecting premiums at tier 4?

If you're a good seal clubber you won't need a premium ship or a high tier captain. Knowledge of the game mechanics alone give you a huge advantage.

Members
1,674 posts
13,382 battles
1 hour ago, iDuckman said:

Ishi, Youbarely.  

Hahaha, I call her Itchyhoochy --- yes I have a gutter mind :fish_cute_2:

• Funny 2

[WPORT]
Members
7,142 posts
12,161 battles
8 minutes ago, 1SneakyDevil said:

If you're a good seal clubber you won't need a premium ship or a high tier captain. Knowledge of the game mechanics alone give you a huge advantage.

+1

[CS7]
Members
268 posts
4,575 battles
1 hour ago, iDuckman said:

You don't have enough games to qualify as a seal clubber.  That aside, there are a number of T4 premiums.  One thing that restricts T4 clubbing, though, is that sub-T5 tiers restrict rewards such as daily missions. Most players with beaucoup games don't want to club there.

Where did I claim to be a seal clubber?  Most of my games are at T10.  However, obviously, I'd like to move some of my high rank US and UK captains into low tier premiums to enjoy some low tier gameplay.  At best I'm an aspiring seal clubber.

Good point about daily missions starting at T5.  I hadn't thought of that as a factor as why the T5 premiums are far more common.

[ARGSY]
Members
22,308 posts
16,251 battles

Charleston is T3 if you are looking for something for a light cruiser captain to drive (premium St Louis).

Campbeltown is a gimped British Wickes.

Both are available for coal, as is the Yubari, if you have nothing else to spend it on.

[DDMAF]
Members
2,897 posts
16,429 battles

A premium version of Izyaslav would ruin my life.

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
15,152 posts
4,766 battles
1 hour ago, legozer said:

A premium version of Izyaslav would ruin my life.

Finally got down to the liquor store today.  Praise uisge-beatha.

[DDMAF]
Members
2,897 posts
16,429 battles
14 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

Praise uisge-beatha.

I do. As often as possible, actually.

• Funny 1

[DDMAF]
Members
2,897 posts
16,429 battles
24 minutes ago, Lightninger said:

You mean Ohkotnik doesn't count?

I've never been angrier on these forums. You'll pay for this, Thunder Boy!

[A-I-M]
Members
3,699 posts
23,815 battles

A Nagara class CL comes to mind, perhaps with better torps but worse guns than Kuma. 

[1984]
Members
4,462 posts
21,506 battles
8 hours ago, Maddau said:

If they really wanted us at tier 4 they would let tier 4 count for daily missions and coal crates.

this was previously the case and they changed it to tier 5 because too many were abusing the newbies.

• Cool 1

[FOXEH]
Members
1,944 posts
12,778 battles
9 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Charleston is T3 if you are looking for something for a light cruiser captain to drive (premium St Louis).

Campbeltown is a gimped British Wickes.

Both are available for coal, as is the Yubari, if you have nothing else to spend it on.

Charleston may say it’s a light cruiser, but put a captain with IFHE on it and it’s a beast.  

[ARGSY]
Members
22,308 posts
16,251 battles
9 minutes ago, comtedumas said:

Charleston may say it’s a light cruiser, but put a captain with IFHE on it and it’s a beast.  

Something to which I can attest, having been the victim of a Triple St Louis division (the Atlanta of Tier 3, at least in surface-to-surface terms).

[FOXEH]
Members
1,944 posts
12,778 battles
1 minute ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Something to which I can attest, having been the victim of a Triple St Louis division (the Atlanta of Tier 3, at least in surface-to-surface terms).

Ouch.  Once I get enough (I have 7 so far). Just for giggles I am going to put a 19 pts on a Charleston/ St Louis.  

[ARGSY]
Members
22,308 posts
16,251 battles
15 minutes ago, comtedumas said:

Ouch.  Once I get enough (I have 7 so far). Just for giggles I am going to put a 19 pts on a Charleston/ St Louis.  

Sadly for your seal-clubbing wet dreams, I'm pretty sure the days when BFT and AFT worked with six-inch guns never overlapped with the IFHE skill. Correct me if I'm wrong.

That being said, Varyag secondaries can be hilarious in co-op. 

Alpha Tester
2,552 posts
12 hours ago, Battlecruiser_Repulse said:

They don't care. The game is in "whale farm mode" - the only premiums that matter to WG are tier 7 (and probably tier 9) and above.

Pretty much. Wargrinding has not introduced a new low tier premium for over a year. They're only interested in high tier content. So long as people continue to throw money at them, tiers 1-4 will continue to be neglected.

7 hours ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Viribus Unitus was going to be tier 4...

But nope.

It seems to be an unofficial rule now, where all new premium ships must be T5 and above only. Any that cannot uptiered will be excluded from WoWS. I believe that explains Wargrinding's decision to shove a WW1 BB into a tier full of WW2 BBs.