You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Maddau

British 114 mm Secondary Batteries

8 comments in this topic

[CS7]
Members
268 posts
4,575 battles

I noticed the new high tier British CAs have 114 mm secondary batteries, as do the UK carriers.  Are they good for anything except causing the occasional fire?  Can they penetrate tier 8 - 10 destroyer hulls?  Do the 114s on the new UK CAs get the increased HE penetration like the main batteries?  Thanks!

[A-K-A]
Beta Testers
146 posts
4,867 battles

short answer : no

long answer : Noooooooooooooooooooooooo

even the 133mm are aweful
on carrier the 113mm are simply not fast firing enough to scare moskitoes away, seriously, 5 sec reload for those awful innacurate/lowcount gun is like watching paint dry

[SPTR]
Members
27,219 posts
17,189 battles

I wouldn't consider the british 114mm secondary guns to be a threat. They are just really there to be long range AA

[CS7]
Members
268 posts
4,575 battles
16 minutes ago, devilman275 said:

short answer : no

long answer : Noooooooooooooooooooooooo

even the 133mm are aweful
on carrier the 113mm are simply not fast firing enough to scare moskitoes away, seriously, 5 sec reload for those awful innacurate/lowcount gun is like watching paint dry

I've seen them elsewhere referred to as 113 mm, but the Wiki lists the secondary armaments as 114 mm.  Daring and Jutland have 113 mm cannons.  Are they the same?

[WOLFG]
Members
31,341 posts
9,637 battles
1 hour ago, Maddau said:

I noticed the new high tier British CAs have 114 mm secondary batteries, as do the UK carriers.  Are they good for anything except causing the occasional fire?  

Pretty much any cruiser secondaries are only good for starting fires.

Typically not enough of them to do anything useful, even if they compare to BB secondaries individually.

[A-K-A]
Beta Testers
146 posts
4,867 battles
1 hour ago, Maddau said:

I've seen them elsewhere referred to as 113 mm, but the Wiki lists the secondary armaments as 114 mm.  Daring and Jutland have 113 mm cannons.  Are they the same?

yea the british are quite fancy with their caliber .... 114 for dds 113 for cv secs 133 for bb secs......

logistic guy must feel japanese

• Funny 1

[HELLS]
Members
2,753 posts
29,511 battles
2 hours ago, Maddau said:

They are the same barrel. WeeGee screwed it up. They were used in four different turrets, three with RPC (Remote Power Control). Turrets with RPC could put out a sustained fire of 18 rounds per minute per barrel, with split firing possible in all twin turrets (i.e., one barrel at a time. Plus the shell weight was almost identical to the USN 5-inch 38 shell. We all wish....

• Cool 1

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,377 posts
13,055 battles
2 hours ago, Maddau said:

The real guns are officially designated 4.5" guns, which should mean they have a bore of 114.3mm. All British 4.5" guns actually measure 113mm and are nominally 55 pounders.

Edited by SgtBeltfed
  • Cool 1