Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
ExESGO

A Battleship Guide

23 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
3,315 posts
27,013 battles

Good Advice I'm guilty of sniping with my battleship, I guess it depends on everyone's location and in what mood you"re in , whether you feel aggressive or just lay back and let those big guns do the work , sometimes with the BB you have to be careful , planes love big slow moving battle wagons and so do the DDs, they love to ambush big targets. That's why its important to be out in the open so you can maneuver and stay out of harms way and just slug it out , getting in as much damage to the enemy as possible, although I am guilty of biting off more then you can chew . Had a battle with my tier 5 BB it was 4 on 1 and I ended up sinking all four of those cruisers. hehehehe. This is a great game and less stressful then the other two games WOTs  and WOPs.

[VCO]
Members
1 post
764 battles

Nice advice.  I think it would help if you could elaborate more on the do not snipe from base versus get into the fight.  It seems both have a disadvantage, since the latter can put you in a position facing too many enemies at once.  So, the question on that is can you actually force yourself into the fight, or do you need to see what the rest of your fleet is doing first?

Members
15 posts
2,614 battles

Just thinking...

Anyone know which ship is the best for which nation?

Eg. In WoT grindding heavy line is a "no no", but they hve good meds

Edited by Fragaracv

Beta Testers
176 posts
8 battles

Just thinking...

Anyone know which ship is the best for which nation?

Eg. In WoT grindding heavy line is a "no no", but they hve good meds

What is wrong with the heavy line? I'm not familiar with NA meta, so I apologize.

Personal opinion (this is all with the current version):

For CAs, US Cruisers without a doubt. Japanese cruisers are literally a huge destroyer. No armor, insufficient HP (heck, just compare the HP of the Senjo and Des Moines).

For DDs, if you are good with torpedo sniping, Japanese. If you want to brawl, US.

Speculation:

I think IJN BBs will be better compared to US BBs (this is thanks to it being a game).

CVs. If the Tier X Carrier of the IJN gets their B6Ns, A7Ms, etc. They should dominate.

Nice advice.  I think it would help if you could elaborate more on the do not snipe from base versus get into the fight.  It seems both have a disadvantage, since the latter can put you in a position facing too many enemies at once.  So, the question on that is can you actually force yourself into the fight, or do you need to see what the rest of your fleet is doing first?

The problem is there is a lot of logic involved. That is why it is hard to explain, even on video or in a training room, how to play the game properly. Game sense?

Think of it this way, in World of Tanks, you have to think when should you push or not, when to side-scrape, when to abuse gun-depression.

Differentiating from WoT, WoWS lacks consistency in the game; this is highlighted by how RNG things can get. There is nothing to really abuse in the game.

Ugh. This is really hard to explain.

Okay. Simply put, your chances of winning go down if your team does not position properly. In WoT, this is important, but not vital (you can literally have a Maus charge field on Malinovka and you'd probably still be able to win it or something). In WoWS, it is so vital that the outcome of the battle pretty much gets decided at the first minute (where ships are going). Simply losing one ship hurts the team a lot, and affects the chance of winning a lot. Heck, a division cannot carry a game.

Edited by ExESGO
  • Cool 2

[RAZGZ]
Beta Testers
814 posts
14,914 battles

Nice video I learned a few things.   What I was watching is where on the horizontal hud display for your gun aiming where is the best place to aim it vertically?   It seemed like you had it in the middle of the ship?   I have been putting it at the waterline.    Where is the optimum place to put the aiming line.   I miss alot some of that is scatter but I think some of it is my aiming technique.

I'm not a sniper but a flanker,   one thing you didn't mention that I think is important is that the battleships should form in a battle line.    I think too many people here just go off on their own and then they are exposed.   Bull Halsey would have kicked their butt lol.

Beta Testers
176 posts
8 battles

Nice video I learned a few things.   What I was watching is where on the horizontal hud display for your gun aiming where is the best place to aim it vertically?   It seemed like you had it in the middle of the ship?   I have been putting it at the waterline.    Where is the optimum place to put the aiming line.   I miss alot some of that is scatter but I think some of it is my aiming technique.

I'm not a sniper but a flanker,   one thing you didn't mention that I think is important is that the battleships should form in a battle line.    I think too many people here just go off on their own and then they are exposed.   Bull Halsey would have kicked their butt lol.

Following Mahan isn't a good idea. 

Aiming, mhmm, in the part where I was showing the features of the Alt key? It just so happened in that part that I was pre-aimed there, what it didn't show was adjusting my lead. 

I like going for the center of the ship since the citadel tends to be over there.

[KARP]
Beta Testers
204 posts
10,945 battles

Thanks for the video. I did not know you could force the secondary and AA guns to focus fire on a specific target. I had assumed they were outside of my control.

I have found that some BB's seem to be designed to fight line astern (Myogi class) with two turrets in the rear and one in the front. Perhaps not designed to is to strong a phrase but maybe excel at it. I have been able to keep superior numbers of enemies at bay long enough for support or the team to win/cap a zone with a fighting withdrawal.

Torpedo spam is something I'm having issues with. I have found certain instances where I've been left with no place to go in a field of torpedoes. Having your head on a swivel is a necessary skill to develop but one that I sometimes forget about. :( My last game of the night there were six sets of torpedoes in the water near my ship most of them hostile, one friendly. That's a lot of torpedoes. 

I know that torpedo spam will be addressed sooner then later (not asking for a nerf just some more balance). Sometimes the match maker just makes things worse with eight destroyers in a single match (four per side).

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
176 posts
8 battles

Thanks for the video. I did not know you could force the secondary and AA guns to focus fire on a specific target. I had assumed they were outside of my control.

I have found that some BB's seem to be designed to fight line astern (Myogi class) with two turrets in the rear and one in the front. Perhaps not designed to is to strong a phrase but maybe excel at it. I have been able to keep superior numbers of enemies at bay long enough for support or the team to win/cap a zone with a fighting withdrawal.

Torpedo spam is something I'm having issues with. I have found certain instances where I've been left with no place to go in a field of torpedoes. Having your head on a swivel is a necessary skill to develop but one that I sometimes forget about. :( My last game of the night there were six sets of torpedoes in the water near my ship most of them hostile, one friendly. That's a lot of torpedoes. 

I know that torpedo spam will be addressed sooner then later (not asking for a nerf just some more balance). Sometimes the match maker just makes things worse with eight destroyers in a single match (four per side).

The best way to balance torpedoes is not to slow them down or decreased damage.  It is to make the reload timer slightly longer or remove the assist (or both).

Members
15 posts
2,614 battles

What is wrong with the heavy line? I'm not familiar with NA meta, so I apologize.

Personal opinion (this is all with the current version):

For CAs, US Cruisers without a doubt. Japanese cruisers are literally a huge destroyer. No armor, insufficient HP (heck, just compare the HP of the Senjo and Des Moines).

For DDs, if you are good with torpedo sniping, Japanese. If you want to brawl, US.

Speculation:

I think IJN BBs will be better compared to US BBs (this is thanks to it being a game).

CVs. If the Tier X Carrier of the IJN gets their B6Ns, A7Ms, etc. They should dominate.

The problem is there is a lot of logic involved. That is why it is hard to explain, even on video or in a training room, how to play the game properly. Game sense?

Think of it this way, in World of Tanks, you have to think when should you push or not, when to side-scrape, when to abuse gun-depression.

Differentiating from WoT, WoWS lacks consistency in the game; this is highlighted by how RNG things can get. There is nothing to really abuse in the game.

Ugh. This is really hard to explain.

Okay. Simply put, your chances of winning go down if your team does not position properly. In WoT, this is important, but not vital (you can literally have a Maus charge field on Malinovka and you'd probably still be able to win it or something). In WoWS, it is so vital that the outcome of the battle pretty much gets decided at the first minute (where ships are going). Simply losing one ship hurts the team a lot, and affects the chance of winning a lot. Heck, a division cannot carry a game.

Brits heavy,.. T5-T7.. thick but no slope, armor, slow, weak track, with medium gun,...after t8... it's the same as medium with bit of HP and chucked on heavy line

Beta Testers
83 posts
79 battles

The best way to balance torpedoes is not to slow them down or decreased damage.  It is to make the reload timer slightly longer or remove the assist (or both).

Well as a dedicated DD driver I'm going to have to wave my arms in the air and yell loudly at extending the timer any further than what it is at a minute and a half for tier V up. I'm putting in work just to get to you. Fire off my wave, and work to get away. That's if I'm lucky, and the other 2-4 heavies aren't all focusing on the best option for kill points.

To the OP,

Nice video. You touched on good pointers for sure. Team play, you're a tank, situational awareness is why complaints on torps airborne or otherwise.

Beta Testers
109 posts
407 battles

Good Video, wouldn't mind trying out a battleship if I get accepted. Also that awareness tip is extremely important. 

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,809 posts
1,670 battles

Note down that using HE against DD is a good way to one shot them as AP would over pen and you will deal less damage.

Beta Testers
67 posts
424 battles

Very nice video! I am wondering if you should/could use the land to your advantage? Such as hiding behind the hills or firing the weapons over the hill to make an arc?

Members
1 post
667 battles

I just recently started playing this quite enjoyable game and just as recently acquired the first us battleship.

To make things quick and simple, wasn't doing very good and couldn't figure out how to manage it beyond longer ranges. Was about to just give up on them till I try'd for any info. on there secondaries and other stuff that I've yet to see come about and found your video.

End result, now actually understand how to work/try/attempt some things and wish to say thank you for putting up this video. Hopefully after watching it learning several things I did not know I'll be able to actually start being of some use to my teams.

[LSNB]
Members
308 posts
10,316 battles

Well damn. I've heard horror stories about the Myogi, but that dispersion looks like bliss compared to South Carolina and Kawachi. But yeah, these were excellent pointers. Your video has helped me do good in the Tier 3 BBs that many say are crap. But another point is that even thouhg HE is more effective than AP vs DDs you should always fire what's loaded are in the process of loading(unless the new shells have just started loading). Because of your reload time its better to do a little damage than do no damage.

Members
2 posts
622 battles

I'll admit I have sniped as a BB, and yes it is highly ineffective. I have managed hits at max range using the Kongo 21.2 km. Even managed a few citadel hits at 18 km, lucky hits I think lol. Always pay attention around you. DDs and CVs loves to make BBs their targets due to their size and lack of mobility compared to other classes, only class whose worse off in mobility is the carrier for obvious reasons. Actually the only ships I use are BBs, I'm using the Japanese BBs, their mobility is very good for BBs.

[WOLF9]
Members
4,680 posts

Most of the time, your BB is so slow, that the latter isn't even a choice, lol.  I consider it the only benefit of being the turtle amongst the hares.  By the time I get there, the hard chargers have already spotted the bulk of the enemies!

Sign in to follow this