Sign in to follow this  
Tigerspook

Queen Elizabeth, first impressions

11 comments in this topic

Members
155 posts
3,533 battles

10 pt captain with the standards - PT, EM, SI, and FP.  Normal modifications on QE with rudder in slot 4.

It isn't yet spaded out - I still need the gunnery improvement.

This ship seems to have few redeeming features. Dispersion is bad, speed is wretched, armor is ok, AA is ok.  But it cannot get to the battle with its atrocious speed and gun range, and if it does, it cannot leave. HEs cause fires but little damage.  Gun reload is the full 30 seconds.

To add insult to injury, the uptiers are brutal and relentless.  I am not sure this should be a tier 6 ship. Maybe tier 5.  It's bad, man.

How do I play this ship to be a contributor to my team?  Right now my only purpose is to absorb 56k damage from cruisers that are out of my gun range so someone else doesn't have to.

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
3,633 posts
12,779 battles
28 minutes ago, Tigerspook said:

How do I play this ship to be a contributor to my team?  Right now my only purpose is to absorb 56k damage from cruisers that are out of my gun range so someone else doesn't have to.

I had the T5 Iron Duke forever for some long ago event. I played it off and on. Kept it as it has a cool factor to me. Played it and didn't pay attention that had enough to get the T6 QE. Got it and had similar experience you mentioned. I kind of feel like it may be like the dreadnoughts of the USN line. Every thing from the South Carolina to the Colorado are your penance you pay for the North Carolina, Iowa, Montana

[WAIFU]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
13,878 posts
5,814 battles

Some random thoughts:

Should've picked CE first for the first 4 pointer skill. Pick CE for everything. I suspect you may be taking more enemy fire, because you are seen first and seen for longer.

Why are you firing HE anyway? Seriously the faults of the HE are kind irrelevant since Queen Liz should be firing AP almost all the time. That 15 inch AP can overmatch most things at tier 6 and 7. And if you hit a cruiser with it, that shell short fuse time means fewer overpens.

Accuracy is fine. I have no trouble hitting stuff when I've used QE. 

Speed is fine for tier 6. Most BBs around that tier are not exactly speed demons, and they see some of the smaller maps as a bonus. But like all slower ships, QE must pick a flank wisely and stick to it.

You know... most BBs in the game have a 30 second reload. 

Well colour me shocked! An uptiered ship having a hard time? Who'd have thought? That could apply to almost any battleship in the game. Queen Liz, does at least have tools to contribute. Her AP can still overmatch tier7 BBs, and still good enough to blap broadside tier 8 cruisers.

If a cruiser has farmed you for 56k damage, it's not the ship's fault but your own poor positioning. And anyway are there any cruisers a fully upgraded QE can meet which outranges her? I don't have the game open so can't check. Can't say I've ever noticed that being a problem.

Members
2,593 posts
7,624 battles

I've got the Q.E., too.

Her turret rotation is *slow* (even with "Expert Marksman" skill).
Her gun accuracy is disappointing.  Her maximum range is 'meh'.

She's faster than USN BB's.  But that is not saying much.  
Turns?  She does those slow, too.

I'm trying the British line simply to learn more about them and because plenty of people play their ships.  If I have played a ship then, in theory, I'll have a better idea of how to sink it.

So far, the Q.E. is a ship that one uses to grind the experience points necessary to unlock the next ship.

• Cool 1

Members
355 posts

The best parallel I can draw here is to the Bayern. Both have 1.8 sigma and pretty [edited] dispersion, but the Bayern has a faster turret traverse, longer firing range, and an armor scheme that actually flipping works ( Turtleback [edited] ), not to mention the powerful secondary battery on the B hull. The Q.E has always been a bit of a mess for me, but it does have its upsides, such as a fairly strong AA, decent secondary battery ( Better than NM but worse than Fuso ), and the ability to roflstomp every cruiser in its MM spread with one good salvo to the face. Another thing is that, once you get enough XP, you unlock the King George, so there's that.

In all, I prefered the Bayern over the Queen Elizabeth, plain and simple. Queeny here isn't a bad ship, it's just that better ones exists, and i'm not just talking about Bayern, but Warspite and VeeDub as well ( Mutsu is a pile of hot nasty crap, in my opinion )

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
8,359 posts
13,408 battles

She's bad, but not as bad as is being made out. Faster than the USN Standards, not that much slower than quite a number of T6 BB. 

She needs the 3.3's traverse of Warspite to be made a bit more pleasant, and the useless short fuses need to go, WG won't admit that AA is a terrible trade for ASuW power which is a hobble. 

Members
2,593 posts
7,624 battles
18 hours ago, Shrayes_Bhagavatula said:

<snipped for brevity>  "... ( Mutsu is a pile of hot nasty crap, in my opinion )"

I like the Mutsu much more than the Q.E., personally.
But, each is entitled to their opinion.  :-)

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
Members
11,280 posts
12,700 battles
On 1/27/2020 at 8:24 PM, Tigerspook said:

10 pt captain with the standards - PT, EM, SI, and FP.  Normal modifications on QE with rudder in slot 4.

It isn't yet spaded out - I still need the gunnery improvement.

This ship seems to have few redeeming features. Dispersion is bad, speed is wretched, armor is ok, AA is ok.  But it cannot get to the battle with its atrocious speed and gun range, and if it does, it cannot leave. HEs cause fires but little damage.  Gun reload is the full 30 seconds.

To add insult to injury, the uptiers are brutal and relentless.  I am not sure this should be a tier 6 ship. Maybe tier 5.  It's bad, man.

Accuracy is good if you have Aiming Mod mounted.

Other thing you need to do is rely primarily on AP shells as much like Warspite the Queen Elizabeth’s AP shells hit really hard. Same can be said about Warspite, Duke of York, and Hood. It’s Nelson, King George V, Monarch and the rest of that line that do better with the HE. Although Thunderer also seems to be good with the AP as well which is good to see as AP is and should be the primary shell choice with BBs.

For security reasons, please do not provide your personal data or the personal data of a third party here because we might be unable to protect such data in accordance with the Wargaming Privacy Policy.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this