Sign in to follow this  
Tigerspook

British BB captain skills

8 comments in this topic

Members
155 posts
3,541 battles

I'm grinding the British BB line through tier 8.  What are the skills needed by captains of British BBs?  For a 10 pt captain, is the bog standard combo of PT, EM, SI, Fireproof (or CI) reasonable?

Members
2,593 posts
7,624 battles

I've got "The Mighty Jingles" as Captain of the Queen Elizabeth.

Turret rotation is disappointing-ly slow.  So, may want to invest in ship modules or Captain's skills to improve rotation rates.

Other skills are typical of BB Captain-ing everywhere.  Superintendent to gain extra consumables, for example.

Given the popularity of HE-spamming "Fyre-Wyrm" ships, I choose to get Fire Prevention as a 4-point skill.

Other's may have different suggestions, and reasons for their choices.

Good luck and have fun.  :-)

Members
2,593 posts
7,624 battles

The tier of the BB can make a difference, too.

At Tier-7 and up, Manual Fire Control for secondary guns makes sense.  At Tier-6 and below, it doesn't, because the improvements aren't enough to justify 4 points, in my opinion.  :-)

[HSD]
Members
597 posts
11,496 battles

Bog standard BB survival skills works fine for RN BBs.

An alternative for the 1pt skill though is Expert Loader, as RN BBs are pretty much the only BB line that benefits from using both types of ammo frequently. Too many people ignore the AP because it's "different", but it is still very deadly and has increased threat to Cruisers due to the shorter fuse time.

Supertester
2,988 posts
4,104 battles

British BBs are best with the standard tank build: PT, EM, AR, SI, BoS, FP, CE. 

49 minutes ago, Tigerspook said:

For a 10 pt captain, is the bog standard combo of PT, EM, SI, Fireproof (or CI) reasonable?

This is 100% perfect!:Smile_great: EM/AR and FP/CE are personal choices,  but in the end you want both.

There are some alternative flavors. EL is very useful on RN BBs because they have great AP and HE, and PT is PM has always been a personal choice. Basically the tier 1 skill you take is complete personal flavor.

I also used to take JoAT in tier 2 for consumable reload. This was viable back before the RN BBs at tier 9 and 10 got their heals buffed. Back then they had a 3 minute (or so?) cooldown so JoAT helped a lot. Now the cooldown is standard with other nations iirc, so JoAT looses a lot of worth. I would suggest skipping it unless you are using a special captain (several UK special capts have boosted JoAT). Even with a special cap, it's really a personal choice and not needed at all.

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
451 posts
1,175 battles

just started the QE grind...   for now have PT, EM, AR (new captain) I chose both em and AR specifically for this ship... modules i went with rudder in 4, and aiming in 3...  hopefully that wasn't a mistake..

[WOLF3]
Members
23,720 posts
21,154 battles
On 3/26/2020 at 6:53 PM, SKurj said:

just started the QE grind...   for now have PT, EM, AR (new captain) I chose both em and AR specifically for this ship... modules i went with rudder in 4, and aiming in 3...  hopefully that wasn't a mistake..

EM is a mistake if you are intending to grind down the rest of the RN BB Line with that same captain.

I understand why one would want to take EM on QE because of that awfully slow turret traverse.  The problem is that QE is the last RN BB with turret traverse issues and EM is a bit of a waste from King George V in Tier VII and onwards.

Tier VI QE has 72 seconds turret traverse but starting Tier VII, RN BBs in the tech tree have 45 seconds.  Those points could go towards something else.

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
451 posts
1,175 battles
7 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

EM is a mistake if you are intending to grind down the rest of the RN BB Line with that same captain.

I understand why one would want to take EM on QE because of that awfully slow turret traverse.  The problem is that QE is the last RN BB with turret traverse issues and EM is a bit of a waste from King George V in Tier VII and onwards.

Tier VI QE has 72 seconds turret traverse but starting Tier VII, RN BBs in the tech tree have 45 seconds.  Those points could go towards something else.

Yeah I did choose EM for the QE specifically, and before I move him up the line I will probably re-spec.  I did not run EM on the iron duke which i kinda enjoyed.

For security reasons, please do not provide your personal data or the personal data of a third party here because we might be unable to protect such data in accordance with the Wargaming Privacy Policy.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this