You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
JEFFREY_LEI

Which BB line?

27 comments in this topic

Members
337 posts
1,113 battles

I am currently a CA/DD player. I got a few premium BBs for Christmas (Hood, Arizona, and Dunkerque). I don’t want to go for the RN line because I don’t want to HE spam and GK don’t really appeal me. So I decided I want to choose between Montana, Yamato, République, or Kremlin. At the beginning I wanted to go for the République but and then I heard it’s not HE spam proof. Although Kremlin is very strong in the current meta, but I don’t really like its limited Damage Control Party for I usually spam down the R key. I loved the Arizona and the Hood but I can’t really work out Dunkerque. I usually find myself pushing too much (And sometimes I yolo), but I want to learn a line that can score a lot of dev strike at range, and it is OK for it to be kind of squishy because I want to learn how to not to push too much and how to survive better. Which line should I go for?

[HINON]
Members
13,737 posts

You could go montana tank build if you want survivability and shes is a decent ship in most repects.

Members
224 posts
6,093 battles

Kremlin and GK are known for being brawlers. Montana and Republique are known for playing back more. Yamato is the ultimate tank that benefits from being bow in because 6 of its 9 guns point forward.

I've got all but the Republique, including the HE spamming Conqueror. I love to mix it up and play them all.

Members
1,477 posts
17,567 battles

Keep in mind the journey and not just the destination. Low tier BB's with a few exceptions are kind of wonky and are feasted upon by seal clubbing DD drivers. From mid tier on up the USN BBs... IMHO... provide the smoothest most enjoyable grind and if you already have the Arizona you're all set for commander retraining.

[WOLFC]
Members
513 posts
7,427 battles

If you're worried about not pushing up too far, the USN line through T7 won't let you even if you wanted to. Until you get to North Carolina, the fastest you'll get is 21kts. It's definitely noticeable by the time you're in Colorado, but the guns are predictable.

• Cool 1

[TARK]
Members
7,331 posts
2,764 battles

If you want ships that play more like cruisers...

French, British, Japanese battleships

If you want glorious death rides, German.

If you want best all around...USN.

If you are good at battleship play abd want to troll randoms...Russian.

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
20,016 battles
59 minutes ago, JEFFREY_LEI said:

I heard it’s not HE spam proof

Nothing is HE spam proof, go for the fun!

Members
337 posts
1,113 battles

So... Which line is best for me? I know all the specialty of the line, but I am just soooo bad at deciding things.

[TRU]
Members
696 posts
20,158 battles
4 minutes ago, JEFFREY_LEI said:

So... Which line is best for me? I know all the specialty of the line, but I am just soooo bad at deciding things.

Montana seems to be your safe bet.  This way as your progress up the line you will learn not to Yolo with the slow speeds through tier 7.  The American BBs are generally accurate, have good AA, meh secondaries, and as some already said - slow as balls until tier 8.  Remember do not sail alone.  You can't catch up to any friendlies as you are the slowest thing out there in the low/mid tiers.  

The GK tends to shine when you are patient and not as many enemies can focus you down before your secondaries are brought into the game.  

[D-H-O]
Beta Testers, Volunteer Moderator
299 posts
6,483 battles

Having hit the Jap, German and US lines and grinding the other 2 right now, I still like the US BB's... yes, the lower tiers are slow, but they can still do the job once in range.  They're good all around... if needed you can bow tank and brawl and you can also snipe with decent accuracy.  If I had to pick a T10 given only 1 options, I'd take the Montana.

[T-CF]
Members
551 posts
3,117 battles
54 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

If you want ships that play more like cruisers...

French, British, Japanese battleships

If you want glorious death rides, German.

If you want best all around...USN.

If you are good at battleship play abd want to troll randoms...Russian.

I’m not good at battleship and I troll randoms. I do try to learn quick but those guns are hilarious when they smack a battleship on the broadside. Also, I’ve learned that angling is better than bow on. Bounces occur more frequently.

[OO7]
Members
481 posts
27,966 battles
1 hour ago, JEFFREY_LEI said:

Which line should I go for?

The IJN BB line is the most pure battleship line. It is not the easiest, but it rewards good aim and positioning the most. 

Edited by eagle_lance

Members
337 posts
1,113 battles
48 minutes ago, LiaoXanLan said:

@JEFFREY_LEI what is it do you want to do? Do you want to tank damage, snipe, brawl, or jack of all trades? As you can see, there’s a quite a bit to choose from.

I kind of want to snipe. But a jack of all trades would be nice too.

Edited by JEFFREY_LEI

Members
172 posts
11,963 battles

I have all 4 of the T10 BBs you listed, and they're all good picks, honestly you can't go wrong with either. 

I'd say go for all 4...

For my actual answer, I'm not a huge fan of the Republique but in my experience, the French BB line was the most fun grind I ever did (besides the USB DDs).

I can't explain why, but I find them just such fun ships. I still play my Normandie, Lyon, Alsace, and Republique. (Not to mention the Jean Bart, which has been my favorite ship for quite a while). I'm guessing it has to do with the large number of main and secondary guns combined with great speed and good AA. Other than a weakness to HE spam, there's not much wrong with them.

Rep is not too good with the current meta, but the other ones are great. 

Just remember, contrary to some people's opinions, a ship line should not be judged solely on how the T10 performs. I'd advise you not to grind out a line solely to get the T10. The destination is sometimes not as enjoyable as the stops along the way.

GL with your decision, and happy sailing!

Edited by Rokkator

[T-CF]
Members
551 posts
3,117 battles
11 minutes ago, JEFFREY_LEI said:

I kind of want to snipe. But a jack of all trades would be nice too.

Then the best line for you to go down is the USN BB line. They’re jack of all trades but they also have the ability to snipe. At first they’re really slow until tier 8 then they’re pretty fast. Be careful about showing your broadside and when it’s time to push, you can bow tank. The one thing you need to keep in mind is that the shells are pretty slow, the Colorado isn’t completely terrible, and never show your broadsides unless you can complete the turn as well as almost always fire AP.

If you want a captain trainer, Arizona is a good pick (I’d say almost insanely good) otherwise if you’re feeling confident enough the Alabama is very nice but you would want to get the basics about USN BBs down first. GA is another good pick but not the preferred captain training ship because of her gimmicks (she has a lot of them) as well as she has a hybrid play style, and the Mass is a brawler making her a no go for anything but a fun ship to play.

Your first 10pts should go into PM, EM, BoS, and FP. Then from there AR/CE/SI, CE/AR/SI, or CE/SI/AR depending on what you want to get first. This is your typical USN BB captain build.

For upgrades the first slot doesn’t change from cruisers, DAMACA 1, Artillery plotting 1, DAMACA 2, Concealment, and either Main battery reload (mid range to short) or artillery plotting 2 (sniper) depending your play style.

Members
139 posts
90 battles

hey now, GK can spam HE with the best of them. best tier 10 tech tree bb right now is Kremlin. gets quick dcp, which is handy since within 8 seconds of dcp ending you'll have 3 new fires burning. cruiser captains don't think fire is OP since fire only burns half as long on cruisers, i learned recently. also russian lazer guns and vodka powered acceleration rudder shift and turret traverse. probably good secondaries and AA too. i started grinding kremlin but then halloween event happened and used up all my port slots with temporary ships. i had to sell the tier 4 i was working on to do halloween battles. some other non tech tree ships may be better. ohio or thunderer. some might even prefer georgia to any tier x. it's that good.

[WORX]
Members
11,457 posts
19,196 battles

I say BB wise, from tier 8 and above.... Its literally pick your pick and roll with it... In a BB/Guns/Rockets centered game, no BB is a bad choice...

You even have immunity from certain shells (Kremlin)... I say go out there and take adv of the current in game experience situation.

[TARK]
Members
7,331 posts
2,764 battles
1 hour ago, LiaoXanLan said:

Then the best line for you to go down is the USN BB line. They’re jack of all trades but they also have the ability to snipe. At first they’re really slow until tier 8 then they’re pretty fast. Be careful about showing your broadside and when it’s time to push, you can bow tank. The one thing you need to keep in mind is that the shells are pretty slow, the Colorado isn’t completely terrible, and never show your broadsides unless you can complete the turn as well as almost always fire AP.

If you want a captain trainer, Arizona is a good pick (I’d say almost insanely good) otherwise if you’re feeling confident enough the Alabama is very nice but you would want to get the basics about USN BBs down first. GA is another good pick but not the preferred captain training ship because of her gimmicks (she has a lot of them) as well as she has a hybrid play style, and the Mass is a brawler making her a no go for anything but a fun ship to play.

Your first 10pts should go into PM, EM, BoS, and FP. Then from there AR/CE/SI, CE/AR/SI, or CE/SI/AR depending on what you want to get first. This is your typical USN BB captain build.

For upgrades the first slot doesn’t change from cruisers, DAMACA 1, Artillery plotting 1, DAMACA 2, Concealment, and either Main battery reload (mid range to short) or artillery plotting 2 (sniper) depending your play style.

That's a good tank build for the USN battleships.

I would argue that concealment expert is less useful than it used to be now that they've normalized the concealment bonus. Going from 15.56 km without to 14.00 km with the skill. 1.6 km is not actually as universally useful as many believe. It's pretty situational for a 4 point skill.

An alternate build - for improved anti-aircraft performance:

PM, EM, BoS, FP, BFT, SI, AR, PT

You could also go full secondary...but it's not a strength of the ships.

[DPG]
Supertester
705 posts
17,243 battles
5 hours ago, JEFFREY_LEI said:

I think you should run up the USN line - like others have said - the first 7 tiers are slow but solid ships, Arizona is a good premium to help train your captain, 

Tier8+ they are a very enjoyable line

and the Monty at 10 is a very solid tank with a recently buffed heal, and the unique//legendary module 

... and congrats on those ships around Christmas!

[T-CF]
Members
551 posts
3,117 battles
3 hours ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

That's a good tank build for the USN battleships.

I would argue that concealment expert is less useful than it used to be now that they've normalized the concealment bonus. Going from 15.56 km without to 14.00 km with the skill. 1.6 km is not actually as universally useful as many believe. It's pretty situational for a 4 point skill.

An alternate build - for improved anti-aircraft performance:

PM, EM, BoS, FP, BFT, SI, AR, PT

You could also go full secondary...but it's not a strength of the ships.

Up to tier 7 this is true but at tier 8 you can get it down to 12km which is very useful for positioning and repositioning. Granted you do want to get shot at but you’ll also want to have the ability to go dark and heal up while moving to a different position and to do so at will. 10% alone doesn’t help much but having both the skill and upgrade is still handy. 
I hadn’t taken much stock into AA builds. I just don’t like them much because I care more about the guns and not being burnt down but that is a good alternative. If he does go down that route then he will need to replace DAMACA 2 for AA and honestly I think it’s just too expensive.

The only time that a full secondary build will work is if the Mass is being played. Maybe the GA but that ship is more of a hybrid in comparison to all the USN BBs.

Members
843 posts
4,679 battles

German BB line reaches it's peak at T8. T9 and TX are borderline unplayable in the current meta.

US BB line reaches it's peak at T8 as well, but their T9 and TX ships aren't as bad as the Germans. Keep in mind the earlier ships before the North Carolina are painfully slow.

You say no RN line so fine, that leaves France, Japan and Russia.

Generally regarded the best T10 battleships in the tech tree are Russian Kremlin and Japanese Yamato. 

French line gets a bit wacky with it's odd gun placements, although the T9 Japanese BB has that as well. French BB line is fine though wouldn't be too unhappy using them. 

I'd pick either Russia or Japan. In fact, I'm probably going to do Russian line as my next big grind.

Edited by macktkau2

0 posts

Montana line is a great place to start. The tier 10 won't disappoint.

Yamato line is a good alternative, 

Both the above form the core of WOWS, around which much else has been balanced/compared, for better or worse!

[DPS]
Members
55 posts
3,086 battles

I have GK and Yamato.  I enjoyed playing the whole KM line, IJN was just a terrible grind and yamato ended up being a terrible ship to play.  GK is a good all around ship I find.

[-ARP-]
[-ARP-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,178 posts
4,376 battles
10 hours ago, JEFFREY_LEI said:

I am currently a CA/DD player. I got a few premium BBs for Christmas (Hood, Arizona, and Dunkerque). I don’t want to go for the RN line because I don’t want to HE spam and GK don’t really appeal me. So I decided I want to choose between Montana, Yamato, République, or Kremlin. At the beginning I wanted to go for the République but and then I heard it’s not HE spam proof. Although Kremlin is very strong in the current meta, but I don’t really like its limited Damage Control Party for I usually spam down the R key. I loved the Arizona and the Hood but I can’t really work out Dunkerque. I usually find myself pushing too much (And sometimes I yolo), but I want to learn a line that can score a lot of dev strike at range, and it is OK for it to be kind of squishy because I want to learn how to not to push too much and how to survive better. Which line should I go for?

From all this:

Montana and Yamato. Montana blaps cruisers and there isn't a Battleship in the game (Kremlin and GK notwithstanding) that Yamato cannot yeet at any angle. Keep in mind that Yamato is the only ship in the game who's accuracy remains mostly consistent at ranges between 18 and 21km. She's the most accurate Battleship in the game and those 46cm guns are wonderful. I am a proud Yamato owner.

I won't discount the Montana though. She's middle of the pack. Good accuracy, speed, armor, damage, AA. She doesn't beat out Yamato in yeeting but she has the best Battleship AA in the game. You can use her on flanks or in support on pushes. Her speed lets her relocate easily and her armor makes her decent at tanking. So at this point it's about aesthetic appeal and which style appeals more to you.

~Hunter