You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
DuckyShot

The average smolensk player is now actively hurting their team.

106 comments in this topic

[GGWP]
Members
7,086 posts
16,368 battles

I've been calling it for months and today when I checked, smolensk win rate is now sub 50%, it is now 49.91%. A team with a Smolensk on it is now more likely to lose. 

How bad is the player base where they can't even take advantage of "Russian bias"? 

• Cool 2
  • Funny 10
  • Boring 11

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
27,100 posts
14,728 battles

Because it is a ship that directly reflects the players skill far more than other ships, overpowered in the hands of unicums, above average in the hands of above average, etc. Since average and below average players out number the above average and unicum players it should be no surprise that the WR is where it is.

• Cool 7

[GGWP]
Members
7,086 posts
16,368 battles
1 minute ago, Viva_Palestine said:

Many ships fit this description, yes?

But at least with Stalingrad, it appears that it is OP with its stats, unlike the smolensk. 

[IRNBN]
Members
3,679 posts
10,703 battles
22 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

I've been calling it for months and today when I checked, smolensk win rate is now sub 50%, it is now 49.91%. A team with a Smolensk on it is now more likely to lose. 

How bad is the player base where they can't even take advantage of "Russian bias"? 

Can confirm. I was just in a Co-op match that included a 2-ship division of Smolensks. They finished dead last and next to last, even  being out-scored by a frikkin Admiral Hipster. Being Co-op we of course won, but these two would probably have done even worse in Random.

[HKC]
Members
642 posts
5 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

But at least with Stalingrad, it appears that it is OP with its stats, unlike the smolensk. 

I meant that several, or many, ships with good stats are played badly by the majority of players.   

Re your comment: are you saying that the Smolensk is OP?  Seems like opinion here is that has a powerful trick or two, but it is pretty fragile and can be killed by anything rather swiftly if given the chance.

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
3,834 posts
11,601 battles
7 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

It's a steel ship most of the average to below average players like me can't get to it .

• Cool 1

Members
6,729 posts
21,129 battles
34 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

its because they are to easy to obtain

@Varknyn12

[GGWP]
Members
7,086 posts
16,368 battles
23 minutes ago, Viva_Palestine said:

I meant that several, or many, ships with good stats are played badly by the majority of players.   

Re your comment: are you saying that the Smolensk is OP?  Seems like opinion here is that has a powerful trick or two, but it is pretty fragile and can be killed by anything rather swiftly if given the chance.

It's high floor, high ceiling. 

[WOLFG]
Members
10,504 posts
9,806 battles
3 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

Meaning high usage in clan battles, till WG decides to do something about it.:fish_viking:

[WOLFG]
Members
30,586 posts
9,232 battles
26 minutes ago, So_lt_Goes said:

Being Co-op we of course won, but these two would probably have done even worse in Random.

Hard to say. Bots don't run from Smolensk, thereby giving it less time to set them on fire.

• Cool 2

[KRAK]
Members
3,718 posts
21,738 battles
1 hour ago, Ducky_shot said:

Well from what I have seen I think it has more to do with people learning to shoot at the Smolensk instead of having a conniption and running away full steam ahead. In the early stages of its release, I never noticed people firing at it much now everyone fires at them even in their smokescreen.

[-TKS-]
Members
835 posts
15,374 battles
44 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

I suspect that it too will be hit by the player skill nerf , as more and more players are getting it.   The thunderer that one is still hard to decipher i think .

[WOLF6]
Members
134 posts
6,050 battles

3 hours ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Yes.

Its a destroyer with a Citadel.

This. 

smolensk gets citadeled, broadside by HE and angled by AP.

[TARK]
Members
7,331 posts
2,747 battles

The majority of players in the game are pretty bad.

Its one reason i spend time and money in other games.

[WOLF6]
Members
134 posts
6,050 battles
32 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

And dependent on your team's DD, being a ship that can't be in a direct line of sight.  

[BB35]
Members
445 posts
13,011 battles

Have you seen the MM lately?

Look at the threads about fix the MM. You can have the topped ranked player in s Stalingrad, he can do 400k damage and still lose. If your team runs snd hides... you will lose. 

• Cool 1

[GGWP]
Members
7,086 posts
16,368 battles
1 minute ago, iBrowEcc0 said:

And dependent on your team's DD, being a ship that can't be in a direct line of sight.  

Nah... Just smoke up when something starts shooting at the BB next to you, the BB will spot for you 

[DOG]
Members
1,170 posts
12,354 battles

I've played it a few times, and it's nothing spectacular.  Sure, you can get a lot of gun hits, but I haven't noticed the massive damage or flaming infernos I've seen described.  I have IFHE and CE on mine, and even when I find a sweet spot behind an island where I can pound a BB for several minutes with impunity, it's not the Grim Reaper promised by the hype.  I think its reputation is largely psychological, because if you are on the receiving end it is unnerving to get constantly pounded by that many shells.  Unless you are driving a DD.  It can definitely delete DDs with a quickness. And the occasional cruiser that shows you broadside long enough at the right range to switch to AP and put a few salvos in its citadel or bow.  Oh, and AA.  It's a complete bastige with the AA.

Oddly enough, the most fun I've had in Smolensk is contesting caps if there is an island in the middle to hide behind.  No one expects you to do it, and you have 1.) smoke, 2.) hydro, 3.) guns that can delete DDs, and 4.) torpedoes that can give the giant middle finger to larger ships that rush the cap thinking they can outgun you.

Edited by zubalkabir
  • Cool 2

[WAG]
Members
859 posts
13,535 battles
3 minutes ago, Gemlin said:

Have you seen the MM lately?

Look at the threads about fix the MM. You can have the topped ranked player in s Stalingrad, he can do 400k damage and still lose. If your team runs snd hides... you will lose. 

If matchmaking was perfectly balanced, everyone would have a 50% win rate. Is that what everyone wants?

[WOLF6]
Members
134 posts
6,050 battles
2 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

Nah... Just smoke up when something starts shooting at the BB next to you, the BB will spot for you 

what, you have the range of TX BBs...or do you want to twiddle your fingers for the first 5 minutes?

[GGWP]
Members
7,086 posts
16,368 battles
3 minutes ago, iBrowEcc0 said:

what, you have the range of TX BBs...or do you want to twiddle your fingers for the first 5 minutes?

Half of them Yolo in. You take advantage of their spotting until they die. 

Members
3,797 posts
13,737 battles

giphy.gif

(dont look at my stats)

• Funny 1