Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
iDuckman

PR event flushed out botters.

61 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

4,534
[WOLF9]
Privateers
14,818 posts
4,733 battles

Recall what I said when the PR directives were revealed?  That it would flush botters out of the woodwork?  Well, it seems to have happened. 

This from the Asia forum:

https://forum.worldofwarships.asia/topic/41475-bot-account-sanction-report/

I count 950 accounts sanctioned.

  • Cool 5
  • Funny 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,129
[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
16,357 posts
16 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

Recall what I said when the PR directives were revealed?  That it would flush botters out of the woodwork?  Well, it seems to have happened. 

This from the Asia forum:

https://forum.worldofwarships.asia/topic/41475-bot-account-sanction-report/

I count 950 accounts sanctioned.

Huh. 

Does Asia have a bigger problem with botters? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,534
[WOLF9]
Privateers
14,818 posts
4,733 battles
1 minute ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Does Asia have a bigger problem with botters? 

It's been rumored so.  But that may be founded on their willingness to discuss their response to the problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,498
[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,402 posts
4,198 battles
1 minute ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Huh. 

Does Asia have a bigger problem with botters? 

Asia from what I’ve heard always has had the biggest issues with cheating and botting. Apparently it’s better than what it was, but there’s a reason many Aussies put up with high ping to NA.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13,393
[ARGSY]
Members
21,615 posts
15,672 battles
57 minutes ago, neptunes_wrath said:

 

none here though....

55qQbju.gif

 

 

They may be doing it but not saying anything about it.

The best way to catch them is to make them think they won't be punished while you track them down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,214
[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
27,119 posts
14,728 battles
1 hour ago, neptunes_wrath said:

 

none here though....

55qQbju.gif

 

 

 

4 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

They may be doing it but not saying anything about it.

The best way to catch them is to make them think they won't be punished while you track them down.

This, the NA teams rarely mention sanctioning accounts where the RU WoWP  team even named a large group of people they banned from using the in game reporting system.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,306 posts
7,142 battles
21 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

 

This, the NA teams rarely mention sanctioning accounts where the RU WoWP  team even named a large group of people they banned from using the in game reporting system.

In one of the premium giveaway contests (I want to say Savo Island?) WG NA put bot accounts as winners on the news page until the community raised a stink. They really just don't care unless someone makes them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
484
[P2W]
[P2W]
Banned
1,334 posts
1 hour ago, Ducky_shot said:

And unnamed "measures" were taken. Very reassuring. 

That means their Clan's received a bonus in their treasury for making sure that the servers are falsely but well populated for the marketing execs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,571
[WOLF2]
Members
4,985 posts
20,544 battles
3 hours ago, iDuckman said:

Recall what I said when the PR directives were revealed?  That it would flush botters out of the woodwork?  Well, it seems to have happened. 

This from the Asia forum:

https://forum.worldofwarships.asia/topic/41475-bot-account-sanction-report/

I count 950 accounts sanctioned.

Interesting, 

I would say that by making the event all but impossible for non botters, WG is actually encouraging people to bot

"necessity is the mother of invention" … and all that :)

 

I don't like botters and it's not a good sign in any game, but WG rigs the game and blames botters for trying to beat the system lol 

Edited by Commander_367
  • Confused 1
  • Boring 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
631 posts
90 battles
27 minutes ago, Commander_367 said:

Interesting, 

I would say that by making the event all but impossible for non botters, WG is actually encouraging people to bot

"necessity is the mother of invention" … and all that :)

 

I don't like botters and it's not a good sign in any game, but WG rigs the game and blames botters for trying to beat the system lol 

What are these botters? Are they real players farming accounts?

If not why would WG sanction real bots?? Makes no sense

Edited by ___V_E_N_O_M___
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,522
[POP]
Members
2,923 posts
23,651 battles

Has there been any response on this matter on the N/ A server by the powers that be here .... seems not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31
[WOLF6]
Members
134 posts
6,098 battles
2 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

They may be doing it but not saying anything about it.

The best way to catch them is to make them think they won't be punished while you track them down.

You want people to bot and then catch them or do want to discourage  people from botting?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,129
[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
16,357 posts
2 minutes ago, iBrowEcc0 said:

You want people to bot and then catch them or do want to discourage  people from botting?

There's actually some strange reverse psychology where openly telling people not to do something and talking about how it's a widespread problem... makes quite a few people think "well it's a thing that's possible and a lot of people are doing it, so there's nothing wrong with doing it as long as I don't get caught". 

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,848
[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,895 battles
3 hours ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Huh. 

Does Asia have a bigger problem with botters? 

I think it's less that Asia has a bigger problem with bots, and more that Asian companies don't really care about exposing them.

For instance, during major events, Azur Lane's twitter hosts a "Wall of Shame" listing the usernames of accounts banned for botting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,797 posts
13,766 battles
8 minutes ago, KiyoSenkan said:

I think it's less that Asia has a bigger problem with bots, and more that Asian companies don't really care about exposing them.

For instance, during major events, Azur Lane's twitter hosts a "Wall of Shame" listing the usernames of accounts banned for botting.

Same thing in Tree of Savior (Korean), had a major botting problem at release; they just posted all the names of the botting accounts. I think it's more a company to company thing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,848
[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,895 battles
7 minutes ago, Rollingonit said:

Same thing in Tree of Savior (Korean), had a major botting problem at release; they just posted all the names of the botting accounts. I think it's more a company to company thing. 

It's a cultural thing. Most Asian cultures foster individuals who care about their public perception/reputation, so shaming people who break the rules acts as a way to disincentivise rule-breaking.

That doesn't work in American media culture, because we've got a different mindset.

Edited by KiyoSenkan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,210
[WOLF3]
Members
28,180 posts
24,550 battles
3 hours ago, Old_Baldy_One said:

Meanwhile on NA, we have botters leading the hall of fame and getting rewards ;)

I remember a while back, there was a certain forum member that was notorious for botting.  There were even complaint threads about him.  You can't "name and shame" but a few hint drops confirmed who it was.  One common thing was he botted all the time in Co-op with his Missouri.

 

I specifically remember during an event last year that he won some prizes from WG because his botting was so prevalent.  That was A LOT of Missouri botting :Smile_veryhappy:  There was even a drama thread about him, he even tried to change his name.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,797 posts
13,766 battles
1 minute ago, KiyoSenkan said:

It's a cultural thing. Most Asian cultures foster individuals who care about their public perception/reputation, so shaming people who break the rules acts as a way to disincentivise rule-breaking.

That doesn't work in American media culture, because we've got a different mindset.

Yah, I generally agree with that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,848
[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,895 battles
1 minute ago, Rollingonit said:

Yah, I generally agree with that. 

Yeah the Japanese "This shameful dishonorable criminal could be YOU!" approach typically prompts a "Only if I get caught!" response in people over here.

We just don't have the three thousand years of a rigid system of honor and family obligation to influence our upbringings or decisions.

And that's why mass media coverage on certain events tend to cause 'waves' of similar incidents for several months.

 

  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×