Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
wjp120

Why do binoculars auto-traverse slower than some guns?

7 comments in this topic

[WOLFX]
Members
268 posts
13,103 battles

With some of the faster-traversing guns, the binoculars auto-following a target won't turn as fast as the turrets can. In these cases, I can manually drag the binoculars left or right faster, and the aiming circles will follow. But this gets difficult when getting to the extremes of this type of situation.

I just have to ask, why is it this way in the first place? Is there a reason for this design decision?

[LOU1]
Members
4,208 posts
12,404 battles

Interesting, I never thought of it that way, but sniper view is slow to traverse.  I long ago developed the habit of leaving sniper view if I had to traverse he guns more than a little bit.  I have also noticed that the guns depress further if I am not in sniper view.  Because of that, I have been training myself to fight zoomed out at close range.  The challenge with that is to get the elevation correct if I am zoomed out too far.

[WOLFX]
Members
268 posts
13,103 battles
15 hours ago, Wombatmetal said:

Probably to enable finer control of aim in sniper mode

I don't see how. Unless you misunderstood me and are referring to something I didn't discuss.

[KRAK]
Members
3,718 posts
21,738 battles
2 hours ago, wjp120 said:

I don't see how. Unless you misunderstood me and are referring to something I didn't discuss.

It has to do with fine control for aiming. If the view traversed as fast as some guns you would not be able to keep your reticle on the spot you wanted to fire easily.

Minotaur, for example, has steroid boosted turret traverses. Imagine if you are trying to fire in binocular view and your mouse hand twitched or something like that then the reticle would bounce all over the place and you be firing somewhere you really had no intention of firing on.

Edited by Vaffu

[WOLFX]
Members
268 posts
13,103 battles
21 hours ago, Vaffu said:

It has to do with fine control for aiming. If the view traversed as fast as some guns you would not be able to keep your reticle on the spot you wanted to fire easily.

Minotaur, for example, has steroid boosted turret traverses. Imagine if you are trying to fire in binocular view and your mouse hand twitched or something like that then the reticle would bounce all over the place and you be firing somewhere you really had no intention of firing on.

I'm not referring to the speed that the binoculars can move when I intentionally move the mouse. That is already fast enough for me not to have a complaint about it. This thread is about the maximum traverse speed for the binoculars when locked onto a target while not moving the mouse.

[KRAK]
Members
3,718 posts
21,738 battles
2 hours ago, wjp120 said:

I'm not referring to the speed that the binoculars can move when I intentionally move the mouse. That is already fast enough for me not to have a complaint about it. This thread is about the maximum traverse speed for the binoculars when locked onto a target while not moving the mouse.

I never noticed any of that because unless I am ready to fire I do not look around in the binocular view.

Edited by Vaffu

Sign in to follow this