You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Hauptmanpanzer

British Heavy Cruisers

21 comments in this topic

[DWIND]
Beta Testers
52 posts
8,775 battles

Remember that song " he ain't heavy.....he's my brother" ? Well the new theme song for the new British Heavy Cruisers is " they ain't heavy....they're my fodder" !!!!!!!!! wth worthless !!!!!!!! my row boats have better games. My rubber ducky lasts longer. Don't drop the soap in the shower, it will pen the armor.      That is all.

• Funny 1

[SOCOM]
Members
659 posts
23,246 battles

They can't be worse than the Itala-tin fleet. If I get them free who cares (WOW Doesn't),  just another ship to put into my ever expanding mothball fleet. lol. 

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
27,217 posts
14,759 battles

They play best rather like the Italian cruisers do by staying on the move presenting an ever changing aspect.

[SALVO]
Members
25,521 posts
27,523 battles
1 hour ago, Hauptmanpanzer said:

Remember that song " he ain't heavy.....he's my brother" ? Well the new theme song for the new British Heavy Cruisers is " they ain't heavy....they're my fodder" !!!!!!!!! wth worthless !!!!!!!! my row boats have better games. My rubber ducky lasts longer. Don't drop the soap in the shower, it will pen the armor.      That is all.

I have the Hawkins and I haven't had that much difficulty doing pretty well in her.  Honestly, it's too early to form really solid opinions, IMO.  Tier 5 is always a bit of a weak tier for ships, since they're always either WW1 or 1920's designs.  The ships in any line always start getting better when you hit tiers 6 and 7, since the designs start becoming closer to standard with all center line turrets, and usually the turrets only being fore and aft, which is simply a more flexible and usable turret layout to those more experimental layouts from the WW1 era.

I don't get why people have so much trouble surviving in cruisers.  It's all about kiting and bobbing and weaving to evade incoming fire.  It's just not that hard.  

• Cool 1

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
20,034 battles
2 hours ago, Hauptmanpanzer said:

wth worthless

I don't know which ones you're playing, but I love my tier 6 Devonshire, as it has good guns, handles well, and sports great AA. 

• Cool 1

Members
2,767 posts
93 battles
1 hour ago, Crucis said:

I don't get why people have so much trouble surviving in cruisers.  It's all about kiting and bobbing and weaving to evade incoming fire.  It's just not that hard.  

Because they play it like Battleships and expect them to survive under fire

[PPFV]
[PPFV]
Members
341 posts
5 hours ago, Hauptmanpanzer said:

...so... like pretty much every other CA in the game, barring some of the IJN CAs? This isn't new, and like the other CA lines, they'll do just fine when played correctly.

[A-I-M]
Members
3,468 posts
14,142 battles
5 hours ago, Hauptmanpanzer said:

Don't drop the soap in the shower, it will pen the armor.      That is all.

I was always told by a guy that did time in the big house, that dropping the soap isn’t when you get you citadel penetrated...it’s when you bend over to pick it up.

• Funny 1

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
14,000 posts
5,814 battles
6 hours ago, Hauptmanpanzer said:

So you're basing your opinion of the whole RN CA line on 3 Hawkins matches? I guess that's your post's credibility down the drain. That's far too early to make a judgement, and I  strongly suspect it's operator error.

Don't see the problem personnally. On my transferred EU account, so far I've been very consistently getting potential damage numbers of over a million with the tier 6, 7, and 8. Don't try to go full broadside just like any cruiser. This especially true in Hawkins, where one just has to accept they can only use 3 or 4 guns whilst still remaining safe with its decent side armour. If people angle, wiggle, and use the concealment and heals wisely, and display situational awareness, I think they'll find that the RN CAs are fine.

So far my initial impression is that they can take a lot of punishment and do okay in the damage department.

[5BS]
Banned
8,864 posts

Depends on the ship. Hawkins is a glass cannon, but it *is* a cannon and the heal on a T5 can be game changing if used well (I haven't actually died in mine, yet).

Devonshire isn't bad; she's fantastic in the T6 Ops. Her biggest problem isn't even her short range (for a T6 8" cruiser); it's that her high freeboard and small, short belt means she eats A LOT of HE Alpha damage. Taking HE hits of 3000 or more per salvo is not uncommon.  Love her AP and HE and she's got great dispersion and very comfortable guns (other than range).

Surrey isn't bad either, other than if she is Bottom tier as she is utterly ill-equipped to go against T9 CA's who can outrange her by 6 or more km.

Albermarle is a piece of crap; which is odd because her hull is that of Mino (essentially; slightly thicker belt) but she is just too high citted and too low ranged and too slow firing (which means unlike the Mino who can pepper an enemy and keep them moving into un-optimal firing angles, people are happy to sit through the 1-salvo-per-13 seconds of Albermarle). And her 24mm plating means she eats big AP hits from just about every angle. That said her HE is awesome, starts fires on damn near every salvo, and does serious Alpha damage.

Drake and Goliath look MUCH better; primarily because they can take GFCSM2, giving them that breathing room their slow RoF so desperately requires.

I definitely prefer the CL's to the CA line; they need a full line buff in some form, in my opinion either an un-gimped ranged (no reason they should be sorter ranged than some CL's at their own tiers), a RoF boost, or, I think more appropriately, increased plating thickness. As it stands they have short range and thin plating and slow guns; you can have any two of those sand still have a fun ship, but all three means you will be sitting close to your targets, not shooting them much so they don't feel a need to constantly dodge/screw up their sight picture, and when they hit you, it hurts. The heal only goes so far because of the short range (making it harder to disengage when it is on cooldown). And the lack of radar and bad spotting ratio means you will more often than not be spotted both in approach and retreat. With 27mm, or even 30mm plating, at least you can make your approach and retreat with taking constant massive chunks off your health.

Edited by _RC1138

[IRNBN]
Members
3,699 posts
10,764 battles
4 hours ago, Umikami said:

I don't know which ones you're playing, but I love my tier 6 Devonshire, as it has good guns, handles well, and sports great AA. 

Same here. I was very pleasantly suprised with Devonshire's gunnery. I swap my Dunkirk captain freely between Devonshire and Exeter. Extra feels for being one of the handsomest ships in the game.

[ARGSY]
Members
21,733 posts
15,778 battles

Based on a small sample in co-op, Hawkins has troll armour and you will be surprised what it can bounce. However, just like skipping stones off the water, get the angle wrong and heavy stuff will go straight in and end you.

@_RC1138, how did you get all four of them so quickly, to speak with such authority? Are you a tester?

[5BS]
Banned
8,864 posts
9 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

@_RC1138, how did you get all four of them so quickly, to speak with such authority? Are you a tester?

Luck and two lucky draws on the Doubloons (first two were both Hawkins and Albermarle:

Spoiler
On 1/15/2020 at 6:52 PM, _RC1138 said:

I got two ships already, the Hawkins and Ablemarle, for what it's worth. Hawkins was first, Ablemarle second.

image.thumb.png.45f414ba599f4d0581a6fb28c205415d.png

Got the Devonshire next (after finishing Stage 1 of the Directive; 4th Roll) and Surrey came two after that (as in these two were acquired for free).

I've put maybe... 15 games; 10 CoOp, 5 PvP in Hawkins, 30+ games in Devonshire; 10 of which were Operations, 20+ in PvP. Surrey far less, maybe just 5-6; 3 in Narai, 2-3 in PvP. I keep trying to make Albermarle fun in Randoms but it just is a piece of crap.

Edited by _RC1138

[T-CF]
Members
551 posts
3,122 battles

Have you tried angling instead of bow tanking? If you angle you can troll BBs into shooting at you and when they do it normally results in bounces.

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
14,000 posts
5,814 battles

Aww don't be too mean to Albemarle. At the very least, rebuilding half the ship at a time is a funny party trick people don't expect right now.:Smile_teethhappy:

[5BS]
Banned
8,864 posts
9 minutes ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

Aww don't be too mean to Albemarle. At the very least, rebuilding half the ship at a time is a funny party trick people don't expect right now.:Smile_teethhappy:

Yeah but it only starts with 1 Heal by default, maxing out at 3 (4 with ABC eventually if you are insane and waste him on that pile). Frankly I find the Hawkins to be overall much better tier-for-tier as her range is more commiserate with other T5 CA's; her low RoF is balanced by separating her shells into separate guns instead of all in 3 turrets like Furrytaco, and IDK I find her just an overall better ship. Albermarle probably would have been fine at T7, but at T8 she's a joke; too brittle, too short range, too low RoF and not nearly stealthy enough to justify it. I'd happily trade the torps and have a regular heal on Albermarle for 2.5 km of extra range, a 10 second reload, or 27mm plating (preferably 27 mm plating).

Edited by _RC1138

[ARGSY]
Members
21,733 posts
15,778 battles
24 minutes ago, _RC1138 said:

first two were both Hawkins and Albermarle

Bookends!

So you're the :etc_swear::etc_swear: who stole everyone's RNG. Duly noted. :Smile_trollface:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[5BS]
Banned
8,864 posts
38 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Bookends!

So you're the :etc_swear::etc_swear: who stole everyone's RNG. Duly noted. :Smile_trollface:

I always do. I don't think I've ever not gotten the full unlocks of a pre-release event.

[ARGSY]
Members
21,733 posts
15,778 battles
1 hour ago, _RC1138 said:

I always do. I don't think I've ever not gotten the full unlocks of a pre-release event.

I've managed to get the T5 every time so far, beginning with French battleships (I wasn't in the game for the UK BB release). Usually it's T5/6; Italian cruisers was an exception (T5/7). I only got the T5 for Russian battleships, but that was because I preferred to spend my tokens on things other than early-release chances and I didn't have all that many left at the end.

[TIGRB]
Members
875 posts
16,926 battles

I have played HMS Devonshire a few times now and have had Very good games in her. She is a Very Functional Cruiser with good turning rates and accurate guns. HE works well with her. AP pen is not impressive though once in awhile in a perfect storm you can get a devestating citadel on fellow cruisers. AA is decent and I have a good opinion of her at this time. I don't close up and brawl with her, I use her entire range limit, twist and turn. Good results so far.

[KREW]
Members
595 posts
13,766 battles

I got the Hawkins with my 3rd token turn-in and got the Surrey two turn-ins later (I was amazed, as in the Italian directives I got tons of crates but not a single ship. RNG is weird.). I find the Hawkins to be much better than I expected, though that 6th turret is really a waste of time. Don't even try to use it unless you are doing a full turn anyway. The Surrey seems ok so far, but very overmatched by many opponents, much more so than Hawkins at level 5. One thing common to both is the very underwhelming AP penetration. Unless you are right beside a ship firing directly into a 90 degree broadside, don't expect much damage or any citadels. Their accuracy is good, armor is decent to trollish if angled correctly, and the HE starts a lot of fires. The heal is nice, but don't depend on it to save you.

All in all the main issue I have so far is the impotent AP penetration. Somehow I expected more from UK heavy cruisers in that regard.

Fair seas

Edited by BattleBard149
spelling errors and grammer