You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
steelhealer

IFHE, skill is inefficient

33 comments in this topic

[SYN]
Members
8,256 posts
14,111 battles

Hindy already has increased HE pen, basically IFHE built-in. The increased pen from IFHE doesn't really increase the targets it can pen.

• Cool 1

Members
4,354 posts
4,615 battles

German cruisers T6 and up already have it preinstalled. Only reason you would need it is if your guns were around 100mm or so. 

[WORX]
Members
11,468 posts
19,211 battles

Gun caliber is over 200mm... Its telling you if you do so its a waste of 4 cpt pts...

You can still equip the skill... HOWEVER, it really will not give you any benefit then say any other cpt skill.

Since its tier 10... I suggest to get BOS and get 10 tiers of extra health over IFHE...

[RE]
[RE]
Members
60 posts

Thanks. I was curious because recent Youtube by Flamu says he uses it but even on his screen it shows crossed out. Weird. Thanks for the replies. 

[GGWP]
Members
116 posts
9,053 battles
14 minutes ago, steelhealer said:

Thanks. I was curious because recent Youtube by Flamu says he uses it but even on his screen it shows crossed out. Weird. Thanks for the replies. 

I would not recommend IFHE for Hindenburg in randoms. You are giving up your fire chance which helps in fighting every ship in the game, in exchange for being able to do more pen dmg on only 1 or 2 ships you will come across.

German CAs past T5 have their HE pen calculation done by dividing gun caliber by 4 instead of by 6 as most other lines. This gives Hindenburg 50 mm of pen as 203/4 is 50.xxx which gets rounded down. The only reason Flamu could possibly be running IFHE was to increase the pen to 60mm so he could penetrate certain sections of the Soviet battleship Kremlin such as the bow and parts of the deck iirc.

This is again highly unadvisable imo

• Cool 2

[GGWP]
Members
116 posts
9,053 battles
5 minutes ago, Gemlin said:

He uses it for secondaries, not your main guns.

Hindenburg secondaries already get quarter pen and their range is pathetic. He does not use them for secondaries. You have 4x4 torp tubes for brawling. You don't need higher pen secondaries to do it.

For the actual reason why he runs it see my above post

• Cool 1

Members
843 posts
4,679 battles
7 minutes ago, Sea_Law said:

The only reason Flamu could possibly be running IFHE was to increase the pen to 60mm so he could penetrate certain sections of the Soviet battleship Kremlin such as the bow and parts of the deck iirc.

If you're a top player then it makes sense to spec for the worst ships in the meta if you think that is better than minor improvements against ships you'll already beat because you're that good.

[GGWP]
Members
116 posts
9,053 battles
8 minutes ago, macktkau2 said:

If you're a top player then it makes sense to spec for the worst ships in the meta if you think that is better than minor improvements against ships you'll already beat because you're that good.

If you're "that good" you will have the aim to hit the non 60mm parts. You will also kill other ships faster as a side effect because you keep your fire chance instead of wasting 4 points and fire chance into being able to pen 3 sections of 1 ship to get that 2k extra dmg every salvo

Also I would strongly disagree with calling the Kreml the "worst ships in the meta"

Edited by Sea_Law

[POP]
Members
4,669 posts
12,429 battles

As others have hinted at but not necessarily stated specifically, a skill being crossed out and 'inefficient' doesn't mean you can't take it on the captain, it just means it doesn't give much or any value depending on the ship (for some, like the various carrier skills, you could take them on say a battleship captain but they'd obviously give no value since you don't have aircraft to apply those skills to). IFHE is one that can sometimes confuse people with the inefficient designator, since it only goes off your main guns and flags the skill as inefficient if your guns already pen 32mm of armor even though there are some situations where it's a useful or needed skill when the game says it isn't - it's one of the main skills in a secondary BB captain build (where it's buffing the penetration of the secondaries, not the main guns), as well as being very useful or potentially valuable on some heavy cruisers with 203mm+ guns - Henri, especially for competitive (since it bumps her pen up to the coveted 50mm for Khaba side belt and Moskva/Stalingrad lower belt, as well as some battleship decks), and situationally Hindenburg (giving you 65mm pen that passes the threshold for Yamato/Musashi/Soyuz/Kremlin/GK main deck) Azuma/Yoshino (67mm for the already mentioned decks and a lot of other 60-67mm plating on various parts of battleships and cruisers including some secondaries and cruiser main batteries) and the upcoming WIP Drake and Goliath (assuming they keep their 1/4 pen, getting up to 76mm pen, which pens basically every part besides the main guns of every battleship they can face except part of FdG's main deck).

The Henri IFHE is almost a given for competitive modes and will be used in basically every competitive build for a team that knows what they're doing, but the Hindenburg/Azuma/Yoshino/UK 234mm CAs are useful in some places and not recommended nearly as much (even though they do give some significant benefits to your ability to raw HE pen most if not almost all of the armor on ships you otherwise would get mostly shatters on).

• Cool 3

[GGWP]
Members
116 posts
9,053 battles
4 minutes ago, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

As others have hinted at but not necessarily stated specifically, a skill being crossed out and 'inefficient' doesn't mean you can't take it on the captain, it just means it doesn't give much or any value depending on the ship (for some, like the various carrier skills, you could take them on say a battleship captain but they'd obviously give no value since you don't have aircraft to apply those skills to). IFHE is one that can sometimes confuse people with the inefficient designator, since it only goes off your main guns and flags the skill as inefficient if your guns already pen 32mm of armor even though there are some situations where it's a useful or needed skill when the game says it isn't - it's one of the main skills in a secondary BB captain build (where it's buffing the penetration of the secondaries, not the main guns), as well as being very useful or potentially valuable on some heavy cruisers with 203mm+ guns - Henri, especially for competitive (since it bumps her pen up to the coveted 50mm for Khaba side belt and Moskva/Stalingrad lower belt, as well as some battleship decks), and situationally Hindenburg (giving you 65mm pen that passes the threshold for Yamato/Musashi/Soyuz/Kremlin/GK main deck) Azuma/Yoshino (67mm for the already mentioned decks and a lot of other 60-67mm plating on various parts of battleships and cruisers including some secondaries and cruiser main batteries) and the upcoming WIP Drake and Goliath (assuming they keep their 1/4 pen, getting up to 76mm pen, which pens basically every part besides the main guns of every battleship they can face except part of FdG's main deck).

The Henri IFHE is almost a given for competitive modes and will be used in basically every competitive build for a team that knows what they're doing, but the Hindenburg/Azuma/Yoshino/UK 234mm CAs are useful in some places and not recommended nearly as much (even though they do give some significant benefits to your ability to raw HE pen most if not almost all of the armor on ships you otherwise would get mostly shatters on).

well said

[RAGE]
Members
1,952 posts
8,257 battles
27 minutes ago, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

The Henri IFHE is almost a given for competitive modes

The Henri *was* almost a given. It remains to be seen how many we'll see in the upcoming clan battles given its massive nerf. The IFHE Henri was the counter to the Stalingrads and Moskvas, but also popular because it was nigh impossible to hit. That no longer being the case, I think we'look see a resurgence of Hindys; moreso because Kremlins will be pervasive, and a Hindenburg with IFHE will be able to counter it, as well as the Russian cruisers. 

• Cool 1

Members
485 posts
15,274 battles
41 minutes ago, Sea_Law said:

If you're "that good" you will have the aim to hit the non 60mm parts. You will also kill other ships faster as a side effect because you keep your fire chance instead of wasting 4 points and fire chance into being able to pen 3 sections of 1 ship to get that 2k extra dmg every salvo

Also I would strongly disagree with calling the Kreml the "worst ships in the meta"

The thing is, It is helping you against more than just 1 ship. Anything with above 50mm (Yamato etc.)of armor will take damage now if you spec IFHE hindenburg.  Your raw HE DPM coupled with the reload buff makes up for the fire chance loss.  If you are that worried about losing fire chance, run DE and the fire flags to negate the loss.

Edited by Hatsuzuki_DD
  • Cool 1

Members
246 posts
310 battles
6 hours ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

Hindy already has increased HE pen, basically IFHE built-in. The increased pen from IFHE doesn't really increase the targets it can pen.

6 hours ago, Navalpride33 said:

Gun caliber is over 200mm... Its telling you if you do so its a waste of 4 cpt pts...

You can still equip the skill... HOWEVER, it really will not give you any benefit then say any other cpt skill.

Since its tier 10... I suggest to get BOS and get 10 tiers of extra health over IFHE...

6 hours ago, steelhealer said:

Unlike any other 203mm guns, Hindenburg actually benefits from IFHE.

It allows you to pen the decks of Izumo, Yamato, Musashi, Sovetsky Soyuz and Kremlin, five otherwise untouchable ships.

While I wouldn't recommend it for randoms, it certainly isn't a wasted skill, especially considering that Yamato, Musashi and Kremlin are quite popular and hard to kill ships.

And @Navalpride33, you don't mean BoS, you mean SE.

Edit: Actually, after thinking about it, I do recommend IFHE on Hindy for randoms.
You're not really missing out on other skills by spending 4 points there in this ship.

Edited by KosmicRavioli
  • Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,276 posts
21,696 battles
3 hours ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

You obviously haven't watched Flamu's video on 9.0 bluffs

Hindy was the first ship he reviewed and recommended IFHE to counter 5 battleships....

• Cool 1

Members
1,645 posts
1,286 battles
4 hours ago, Navalpride33 said:

First, BOS doesn't give you extra HP. Second, are you seriously suggesting SE for a cruiser? Lol wow

[WORX]
Members
11,468 posts
19,211 battles
3 hours ago, KosmicRavioli said:

And @Navalpride33, you don't mean BoS, you mean SE.

At least I got the survival right... Yup SE that is it,...

I'll take SE over or any other skill other the IFHE for guns over 200mm

Taking IFHE just for secondaries... Works for a few ships, mainly BB... I'll take extra HP or some other skill...

• Funny 1
  • Confused 2

[A-D-F]
Members
476 posts
16,208 battles

As others have stated:
The only Reason to use IFHE on the Hindenburg is to increase the HE penetration from 50.75*mm to 66.3*mm. The way the HE and IFHE penetration values are calculated are separate topic.

The increase from 50mm to 66mm of armor penetration is only useful against Yamato with 57mm deck and Kremlin and that has 60mm deck. ( most likely opponents )
This is most helpful in Clan Battles or Ranked when you can expect to fight those two ships regularly.

Otherwise those 4 points are better spent on RPF / JoAT + PM + EL /  SI + EL or other utility skills, depending on play-style or personal preference. 

Members
246 posts
310 battles
6 hours ago, Sea_Law said:

I would not recommend IFHE for Hindenburg in randoms. You are giving up your fire chance which helps in fighting every ship in the game, in exchange for being able to do more pen dmg on only 1 or 2 ships you will come across.

5 ships.

Musashi, Izumo, Yamato, Sovetsky Soyuz and Kremlin.

All notoriously hard ships to kill.

That extra pen damage adds up really fast with 12 guns and sub-10s reload.

I wasn't recommending IFHE on Hindy, but after thinking about it I changed my mind. It is not only fine but advisable, Hindy isn't missing much by spending 4 points there.

Edited by KosmicRavioli
  • Cool 1

[T-CF]
Members
551 posts
3,122 battles
4 hours ago, USS_Taylor_Swift said:

First, BOS doesn't give you extra HP. Second, are you seriously suggesting SE for a cruiser? Lol wow

BoS technically does since he lowers the amount of fire fighting time and if you coupled that with the legendary mod it makes you practically immune to fires.

5 hours ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

You obviously haven't watched Flamu's video on 9.0 bluffs

Hindy was the first ship he reviewed and recommended IFHE to counter 5 battleships....

Why though? To be able to damage 5 battleships? It’s a waste. Loading AP and hitting the superstructure is more efficient than this. Even loading HE and hitting the superstructure is also more efficient than this. IFHE is a complete waste of points for the Hindenburg because she already has the ability to damage those ships anyway. JoAT, EL, BoS, and SE are far better.

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
30,780 posts
9,354 battles
9 hours ago, Sea_Law said:

Hindenburg secondaries already get quarter pen and their range is pathetic. 

It is? I always thought the range was pretty good for a cruiser.

Not that I built for them, but I seem to recall 9.1km. (although I was running the secondary mod, didn't really need anything else for the slot)

Edited by Skpstr

[S0L0]
[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,697 posts
7,099 battles

Timely conversation for me...    Captain sitting in my just obtained Hindenburg with 4 unused skill points...   Just can't make up my mind on the build?   I currently have PT, EM, AR, SI, DE CE...  Struggling to find the right place to put it or perhaps reset?     Really was leaning toward EL & SE?     

[BOTO]
Members
1,361 posts
16,609 battles
10 hours ago, Sea_Law said:

German CAs past T5 have their HE pen calculation done by dividing gun caliber by 4 instead of by 6 as most other lines. This gives Hindenburg 50 mm of pen as 203/4 is 50.xxx which gets rounded down. The only reason Flamu could possibly be running IFHE was to increase the pen to 60mm so he could penetrate certain sections of the Soviet battleship Kremlin such as the bow and parts of the deck iirc.

Actually it's beneficial to Hindenburg because you can penetrate the decks of Yamato, Musashi, Izumo, Kremlin, and Soyuz.  In other words, by running IFHE on my Hindenburg I penetrate the decks of all battleships that I run into.  I've been using it for quite some time and I definitely find it beneficial.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,276 posts
21,696 battles
5 hours ago, LiaoXanLan said:

BoS technically does since he lowers the amount of fire fighting time and if you coupled that with the legendary mod it makes you practically immune to fires.

Why though? To be able to damage 5 battleships? It’s a waste. Loading AP and hitting the superstructure is more efficient than this. Even loading HE and hitting the superstructure is also more efficient than this. IFHE is a complete waste of points for the Hindenburg because she already has the ability to damage those ships anyway. JoAT, EL, BoS, and SE are far better.

Bow on Kremlin....

Need I say more?