Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Wittman39

Advice for where to put Yamamoto

21 comments in this topic

[Y0L0]
Members
19 posts
5,011 battles

Hello all,

Looking for some best practices for where to put my Yamamoto captain that I finally earned through the campaign.  I had originally though about putting on my Yamato because of his boosted turret rotation, but I'm hesitant because I already have a 19 point captain and don't want to down grade and lose some tankiness on the ship.

I have two other Japanese lines where I think he could be useful and want to figure out what other people have skilled him out for.

I have the Japanese cruiser line at Ibuki which he would be useful there for the turret rotation again, plus his bonuses can be activated on this ship in a good game and then on the Zao would have increased effectiveness with the triple turrets.

I also have an Akizuki right now going for Harugumo and the first blood award is really nice for the extra charge and improved incapacitation are pretty good options for this destroyer line.

Any advice would be appreciated and skill builds attached for what ship you use him for would be helpful.

Thanks.

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
Members
12,557 posts
14,317 battles

After very careful thought and consideration I placed Admiral Yamamoto in my Zao as his “First Blood” activated skill that grants an extra charge to each consumable can be useful by giving Zao an extra HP heal. And he has worked out well as he now also gets to serve on my  Yoshino, Yubari, and if I ever end up with Atago he will serve on that ship as well. Plus with CAs you get the extra bonus of getting to enjoy the red shell tracers more often than on BBs.

He can be of use on IJN BBs of course which was the second highest choice I was considering for him as once against the “First Blood” skill can add the extra consumable charges for added longevity in battles.

You could use him in DDs if you really wanted to, but unless your a DD main it would seem a little wasteful as DDs often use less consumables on average when compared to what CAs with repair parties or BBs can burn though. I have had battles where I have burned through all my repair party consumables and was left wanting more, when in DDs you more rarely burn through all the consumables and honestly don’t need any extra if you already have a Superintendent on your DD captains.

[Y0L0W]
Members
578 posts
18,595 battles

I’d say Zao or Yamato. Definitely which ever ship you’re better at to make your play even better. 

• Cool 1

Banned
715 posts
1,092 battles
1 hour ago, Wittman39 said:

Hello all,

Looking for some best practices for where to put my Yamamoto captain that I finally earned through the campaign.  I had originally though about putting on my Yamato because of his boosted turret rotation, but I'm hesitant because I already have a 19 point captain and don't want to down grade and lose some tankiness on the ship.

I have two other Japanese lines where I think he could be useful and want to figure out what other people have skilled him out for.

I have the Japanese cruiser line at Ibuki which he would be useful there for the turret rotation again, plus his bonuses can be activated on this ship in a good game and then on the Zao would have increased effectiveness with the triple turrets.

I also have an Akizuki right now going for Harugumo and the first blood award is really nice for the extra charge and improved incapacitation are pretty good options for this destroyer line.

Any advice would be appreciated and skill builds attached for what ship you use him for would be helpful.

Thanks.

congrates! 

Members
843 posts
4,679 battles

I've got him at 19 points on my Ibuki and would keep him for the Zao, because I've given up on Destroyers. I would have put him in the Battleship line if I had them though. Mostly because of how much better the improved Expert Marksman is on Battleships than other ship types, eg I've got Halsey in my Georgia because of it.

My 19 points went (in no particular order).

• Priority Target
  • Expert Marksman
  • Adrenaline Rush
  • Demolition Expert
  • Survivability Expert (don't @ me, I've heard it all before)
  • Concealment Expert
  • Radio Location

I haven't used the Ibuki much lately, I decided to grind the German BB line to TX last week and am now working on getting the Worcester. I think I'm tired of HE Spam light cruisers so I've put the Japanese and Russian cruiser lines on hold.

Considering continuing down the French BB line (I've just got Richleiu) or going through the Russian BB line (from Izmail) instead.

At the end of the day Yamamoto is just a regular captain with one good special skill (IEL) and one situation (IPM), one bonus that is relatively simple to proc (+1 Consumables for first kill), and one that is very useful (insane heal & reload buff) but very hard and if you do get it (kraken), the game is probably near finished anyway. I just had a game where I got both of Halsey's skills set off and the game ended 30 seconds later.

Edited by macktkau2

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,026 posts
27,537 battles

Everything but CV.

IJN gunboats/DD/CA: good chance for a first kill

BB: good chance to stay ingame long enough to earn the Kraken. The later is a very powerful heal.

The EM bonus is more usable on a BB or CA.

Classic IJN DD benefit more from torpedo builds, the turrets of the gunboats are fast enough, you get better bonuses from other skills.

[QNA]
Members
16 posts
4,967 battles

Aside from poor enhanced skill and talent synergy with Carriers (which is ironic given that Yamamoto was a big proponent for them), he fits well onto Battleships, Cruisers, and the Gunboat DD line for Japan.

For Battleships, stick him on Yamato or Musashi. Definitely pick up his Enhanced Master Marksman skill.

Aggressive Secondary Build:https://worldofwarships.com/en/content/captains-skills/?skills=1,3,9,14,18,26,28&ship=Battleship

-In the following Order: Priority Target, Master Marksman, BFT, AFT, MFC/SA, Fire Prevention, Expert Maintenance

The Survivor/Yashima Build: https://worldofwarships.com/en/content/captains-skills/?skills=2,3,5,12,14,18,23,28&ship=Battleship

PT, Master Marksman or Adrenaline Rush, Basics of Survivability, Concealment Expert, Fire Prevention, the rest of the tier 2 skills highlighted you haven't gotten already, Expert Prevention

"Balans" Build: https://worldofwarships.com/en/content/captains-skills/?skills=1,2,3,9,14,23,28&ship=Battleship

Cruisers: https://worldofwarships.com/en/content/captains-skills/?skills=3,8,12,17,23,28,34&ship=Cruiser

Gunboat DD/Harugumo/"Notice me, Gnome Overlord Jingles!" build: https://worldofwarships.com/en/content/captains-skills/?skills=1,12,18,20,23,25,33&ship=Destroyer

[Y0L0]
Members
19 posts
5,011 battles
17 minutes ago, macktkau2 said:

I've got him at 19 points on my Ibuki and would keep him for the Zao, because I've given up on Destroyers. I would have put him in the Battleship line if I had them though. Mostly because of how much better the improved Expert Marksman is on Battleships than other ship types, eg I've got Halsey in my Georgia because of it.

My 19 points went (in no particular order).

• Priority Target
  • Expert Marksman
  • Adrenaline Rush
  • Demolition Expert
  • Survivability Expert (don't @ me, I've heard it all before)
  • Concealment Expert
  • Radio Location

I haven't used the Ibuki much lately, I decided to grind the German BB line to TX last week and am now working on getting the Worcester. I think I'm tired of HE Spam light cruisers so I've put the Japanese and Russian cruiser lines on hold.

Considering continuing down the French BB line (I've just got Richleiu) or going through the Russian BB line (from Izmail) instead.

At the end of the day Yamamoto is just a regular captain with one good special skill (IEL) and one situation (IPM), one bonus that is relatively simple to proc (+1 Consumables for first kill), and one that is very useful (insane heal & reload buff) but very hard and if you do get it (kraken), the game is probably near finished anyway. I just had a game where I got both of Halsey's skills set off and the game ended 30 seconds later.

Yeah I agree.  His buffs aren't that special and getting the Kraken boost would be amazing in the Yamato combined with AR to maybe get your reload under 20 secs.  But the First Blood boost is probably the most tangible thing to take into consideration for using him.  I think I'll probably use him on my Ibuki going to the Zao since I only have a 16 point about to be 17 I'm not losing out too much on skills and just adding training time to getting him up to 19 points.

Plus on the Zao using both of his improved skills is possible for a build and is probably the best choice in my case I think.  A Harugumo with a kraken and end game heal would be pretty nuts, but nearly impossible to get with the amount of CVs and other counters.

My rough build I'm considering from what other people have said is probably: Priority Target, EM, AR, Demolition Expert, Superintendent, Concealment.  For the last 4 points I'm unsure about.

Why get Radio Location though?  For hunting DDs or as a late game skill to find other ships because of the Zao's excellent Concealment?

I use Radio Location for my Des Moines (also Gearing for DD hunting) because of radar and DD hunting, but I don't understand the reasoning for an IJN cruiser.

• Cool 1

[S0L0]
[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,700 posts
7,112 battles

Wherever he is of benefit and in a ship you play a lot and enjoy.  I started out putting all my best Captains in my T10s and then later came to realization that I don't enjoy playing T10.Don't do clan wars....so the are wasted in those ships unless they can be used in a premium ship.  I've begun moving many of them to t8s which is a tier I enjoy more.  My Yamamoto captain is currently trained into Mogami.  Own Ibuki but haven't really started grinding it yet... I haven't decided if I will move or not?    

[SMOKD]
Members
43 posts
11,828 battles

I have him on my haru. That first blood perk helps a lot to give you that extra smoke for late game. And the kraken just turns it into an absolutely disgusting thing if you can get one. 

Members
843 posts
4,679 battles
37 minutes ago, Wittman39 said:

Why get Radio Location though?  For hunting DDs or as a late game skill to find other ships because of the Zao's excellent Concealment?

Yeah pretty much for info about DD's and where late game ships are. I go back and forth about how useful it is, but usually I end up getting something from it once every few games so I just leave it.

If I ever get a free respec for him I'd consider going to a more typical light cruiser build of PT/EM/DE/CE/AR/SI and 4 spare points on RPF or SE & PM.

[WORX]
Members
11,503 posts
19,237 battles

The must obvious choice for me.... An IJN gun DD of your choice...

Just looking over his skills and I think if you;re good enough, his skills are tailored for DD..

I have mine on the Yamato just for the extra grease on the turret rotation... If I were you, put him on a Gun DD.

[Y0L0]
Members
19 posts
5,011 battles
30 minutes ago, macktkau2 said:

Yeah pretty much for info about DD's and where late game ships are. I go back and forth about how useful it is, but usually I end up getting something from it once every few games so I just leave it.

If I ever get a free respec for him I'd consider going to a more typical light cruiser build of PT/EM/DE/CE/AR/SI and 4 spare points on RPF or SE & PM.

Hmm that's a good point for the Zao on RPF.  I'll hold off on investing the last 4 points until I've played the Zao a bit.  I still have about 80k Xp to go before I unlock it.

I'm going to put him on my IJN cruiser line since his skills make the most sense for me there and I've gotten pretty good at dodging shells in the Ibuki and the Zao is similar play.  The SE and PM skills aren't a bad idea because of low HP and low armor on main turrets.  I'm also thinking of maybe going Expert loader for the quick change for a surprise AP salve with the Zao's high velocity guns.  We'll see how it plays out for me.

Thanks for all the suggestions.  IJN DD was a close second, but I'm not skilled enough in IJN gunboats to put him in and waste him on a line I'm still learning since I don't like having to respec unless I absolutely have to since I spend my commander XP on getting past the ship line retrainings.

Edited by Wittman39

[USCG]
Members
677 posts
21,498 battles

I have him on Yamato and every other IJN premium BB I have (Kii, Mutsu, all four Kongos, Izuchinni, etc.). Also have run him on my premium cruisers (Blue Steel Myokos, Yoshino, etc.) and he does fine. 

[POP]
Members
4,670 posts
12,481 battles

I currently have him on Furutaka going up the cruiser line since I don’t plan on going up the IJN BB line right now (more into cruisers at the present), and shared to all my current premiums - all the ARP/dragon clones including the BBs (yes I know it may not be optimal but I rarely tend to play the Kongo clones outside of co-op so it still works on them). If I pick up Yoshino I may swap him over to a dedicated build for that or just keep him in the tech tree line. 

[QCM]
Members
37 posts

I experienced 19 pts Yamamoto with alot of IJN ship. 

example : Yamato, Zao, yogumo, Akizuki.

the only thing i can tell u really quick is it can make yogumo actually viable hybrid gun/torp boat.

with 25 sec turret traverse speed u cannot expect to knife fight in a viable way. 

But with Yamamoto u can lower it with the right module down to 14ish sec, wich is acceptable as a gunboat but not optimal.  

The thing is your Alpha damage is so OP that u will totally wreckt any DD, because if u cant fire your gun (slow turret against close target) u loose your gimmick 50% of time. 

Who cares about the reload if u cant fire those guns. Believe me i tested alot. 

And your torp are so OP (damage wise) u can actually one shot torp any DD, so First blood is obviously gonna happen frequently. well it did for me. 

with Yamamoto u are a decent gunboat with OP torps, for example, while contesting a cap i was able to outgun fletcher and an other DD i cant remember very easily because of that Velocity and HARD hitting HE. 

On papers it seems not real, but in reality u will finally use those guns more easily/frequently and finally IJN guns will SHINE and u still have the best torps in the game. 

lets Say #1 Torpboat line because it actually unlock the viable gunboat mode with kagero\Yogumo\shima. 

#2 Yamato, because it makes turret traverse finally more decent, but u dont create a new viable built. :)

[CNO]
Members
6,085 posts
18,577 battles

Yamamoto for Yamato! 

But I've got him chilling in Mikasa at the moment.  Those secondary tracers are pretty.  Don't hit much.  But pretty.

Members
674 posts
72 battles
On 1/19/2020 at 2:48 PM, Wittman39 said:

Hello all,

Thanks.

If you wanna trigger the Special Yamamoto skills every other game?

Harugumo

Kitakaze

Akizuki 

Edited by Oldschool_Gaming_YT

Sign in to follow this